PDA

View Full Version : Bills coaching candidates list has some surprises

shelby
01-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Here's a list of candidates for the Buffalo Bills' head coaching job.
It's based on who new General Manager Buddy Nix has worked with in the past, logical suspects and men who I hear are under consideration. They are listed in no particular order.
• Jim Harbaugh. The former NFL quarterback is a rising star in college coaching at Stanford. He has improved the Cardinal team each of his three seasons and this year posted an 8-6 record and a berth in the Sun Bowl.
Harbaugh, 46, just signed a three-year extension with the Cardinal through 2014. It would take an impressive selling job by Nix to get him to leave. His brother, John, coaches the Baltimore Ravens. His father, Jack, had a great career coaching at Western Kentucky.
• Ron Rivera. The defensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers was on the hot list of candidates a couple years ago after guiding Chicago's fierce defense to the Super Bowl in 2006. He has interviewed for the Dallas, Pittsburgh and Arizona head jobs, among others, in recent years. He's 47. He can coach the 4-3 or the 3-4 defense.
• Jim Haslett. The former Bills linebacker would love to return to Buffalo. He did a pretty good job in six seasons as head coach in New Orleans. He took the Saints from 3-13 to 10-6 and a playoff spot in 2000.
Haslett went .500 the next four years with pedestrian Aaron Brooks as his QB. Then he coached through a disastrous Hurricane Katrina season in 2005 and was fired. Haslett, 54, is better off if he has a strong GM who controls personnel.

read more.... (http://www.buffalonews.com/298/story/910661.html)

Ebenezer
01-03-2010, 06:21 AM
I'd take Harbaugh if nobody of big name wanted to take the job...Rivera and Haslett?? I'd almost be inclined to keep Fewell.

EDS
01-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I'd take Harbaugh if nobody of big name wanted to take the job...Rivera and Haslett?? I'd almost be inclined to keep Fewell.

I disagree. I think the Bills need to make a clean break from this period of mediocrity and completely clean house on the coaching side.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-03-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't like that list for head coaches except maybe Harbaugh and Rivera.

elltrain22
01-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Harbaugh is the only guy on that list that I'd be okay with. If we end up w/ Hassell im gonna shoot myself

Buddo
01-03-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't think I'd want Cameron - he was a dismal failure with the Fins. He could be a good choice as an OC though, but as he is already in a position, it would have to be HC or nothing, so I'd prefer it to be nothing. I don't think you can knock his capability as an offensive 'mind' though.
I was interested to see the comment about Haslett - 'at his best with a strong GM in charge of personnel'. After 'tricky dicky' getting his way on that, I don't think that Nix would let someone like Haslett get away with the same freedom. Other coaches maybe, but I would have thought that any HC candidate worth his salt, will realise that Nix does know his stuff, and let him get on with it.
Now that Rivera has shown adaptability of scheme as a DC, I think that's a mark in his favour - you really don't want a HC to be totally system bound.
For whatever reason, I don't think Harbaugh wants the NFL just yet, but when he does, I think he'd be well worthy of consideration.
Weis could be a good candidate - good offensive mind, which we desperately need. There are different demands in respect of recruitment in college football to the NFL, so I don't see his 'failure' at ND to be prohibitive. I would be concerned about him trying to bring in Quinn though.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
This list screams of continued mediocrity at One Bills Drive, but then again, it's not an official list, just names that have connections to Nix. I would almost hate all of those candidates...except Harbaugh...he just seems to have "it".

HHURRICANE
01-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I will never, ever, root for this team again if they hire Haslett. If you think Jauron sucked wait til this guy shows up. I watched alot of Saints game because Haslett was a for mer Bill and I learned that this guy can't coach. You think Jauron drove you crazy????

scartown
01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Haslett as a HC no thanks. As a DC possibly.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I will never, ever, root for this team again if they hire Haslett. If you think Jauron sucked wait til this guy shows up. I watched alot of Saints game because Haslett was a for mer Bill and I learned that this guy can't coach. You think Jauron drove you crazy????

I agree...Haslett is Jauron, "The Sequel"...no thanks! They NEED to bring in a winner and somebody who has actually had success in the NFL!

baalworship
01-03-2010, 09:31 AM
His list of suspects is suspect.