PDA

View Full Version : Bills look great but may pay for today in April

patmoran2006
01-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Chicago is losing to Detroit, and Cleveland (with four wins) is up today on Jags.

This is a great looking game and fun thus far, but its going to hurt us come April at this rate.

Still, the worst we can end up with is the 10th pick, so may as will enjoy one great day of Bills football.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I'd rather have the higher pick...who knows, but it may cost us the ability to get the player we want.

DrGraves
01-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd rather have the higher pick...who knows, but it may cost us the ability to get the player we want.

I have no faith in the bills as an organization making a good first round pick so we might as well have a higher pick so we can pay the guy less haha

shelby
01-03-2010, 01:19 PM
when have we ever drafted a player we want?

:scratch:

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 01:25 PM
when have we ever drafted a player we want?

:scratch:

So, you want it to continue? That kind of attitude is a loser mentality as much as others try stating that wanting to lose for a better draft choice is.

patmoran2006
01-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Chicago back up..

You want the Bears to win. . We can only pick as bad as 9 with a Chicago win.

Luisito23
01-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Chicago back up..

You want the Bears to win. . We can only pick as bad as 9 with a Chicago win.

They're winning by 3 at the half, but there's no doubt that they'll beat the Lions.

HHURRICANE
01-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Patrick Willis and Ben Rothlinsberger. I will use these two players names everytime someone trys to justify a meaningless win.

If Nix and a real head coach are doing the picking than this win hurts even more.

SquishDaFish
01-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Dude you dont know if the Bills would of picked those 2 players. NOONE knew 100% for sure those 2 players would be great. Did we want them as fans YES but you dont know if this front office would of picked them. So get off your high horse and STFU

TheBrownBear
01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Nix will get us good value at 10. Quit being babies and enjoy the win. What the hell did you want the team to do today? Lie down and get rolled by Curtis Painter?

BILLSROCK1212
01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Cary Harris!!

SquishDaFish
01-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I agree Bear! Lets go out on a good note to end the season!! :gobills:

YardRat
01-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't care where we pick. If we're at ten, and there's a guy at 8 or 9 that they feel they have to have, then they can trade up a couple of spots.

Send Parish and Lynch to Cleveland and swap out.

baalworship
01-03-2010, 01:37 PM
It's not worth worrying about. The way Painter is playing we couldn't give them the game.

If there really is a player that is light years ahead one pick ahead of us that we need we can trade up. Also, even if we like a player and they look like they can fall to us someone else behind us can trade ahead of us. Most teams end up with players they like and scouted.

Typ0
01-03-2010, 01:37 PM
We didn't win yet. We're talking about the Bills and the Colts still have their 3rd stringers to count on.

patmoran2006
01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
I was just sayin..

And hey, maybe, just maybe Cowher is getting a look to see if this team would quit, and they clearly arent.

Win today when your trying to attract a coach and potential FA's down the line may outweight 1-2 draft slot positions

patmoran2006
01-03-2010, 01:39 PM
We didn't win yet. We're talking about the Bills and the Colts still have their 3rd stringers to count on.

We can play until 2014 and painter aint putting 24 on the board

TheBrownBear
01-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I was just sayin..

And hey, maybe, just maybe Cowher is getting a look to see if this team would quit, and they clearly arent.

Win today when your trying to attract a coach and potential FA's down the line may outweight 1-2 draft slot positions

And Cowher can witness the inherent advantages of playing in the Ralph in the winter. Cowher football would work great in that slop. :)

bigdog72ny
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
dont we do this every year? and yes we would have drafted willis that year as we ended up taking poz that year.

TedMock
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Patrick Willis and Ben Rothlinsberger. I will use these two players names everytime someone trys to justify a meaningless win.

If Nix and a real head coach are doing the picking than this win hurts even more.
Big Ben is the one that really hurts. None of that matters at this point though. You would never want (nor would they) the players to mail it in and you would never root for a loss. Our draft position this year may save us because we have a few great and equal needs and we can get that player at 9 or 10. It's also low enough down the list to keep us from reaching on a QB - I hope. Best player available will be a need, so we're good on all fronts. I just hope Nix makes an impact pick.

djjimkelly
01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
JUST LOSE BABY

go curtis painter

justasportsfan
01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm having fun watching the bills win. :dance:

bigdog72ny
01-03-2010, 01:52 PM
and watching cleveland win..could have had the 6th pick..

patmoran2006
01-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Bears are up 20-10.

The Browns game obviously doesn't matter since the Bills are going to pick up their 6th win today

Ingtar33
01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Bears are up 20-10.

The Browns game obviously doesn't matter since the Bills are going to pick up their 6th win today

browns game doesn't matter because the browns have a much worse op winning percentage, and the first tie breaker is winning percentage not head to head.

the browns and skins could win and we could lose today and the browns and skins still would draft before us.

THRILLHO
01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Never lose on purpose to move up in the draft. Bills fans at the game deserve this, a great game, like a big snow party. Keep it going Buffalo!

bigdog72ny
01-03-2010, 02:19 PM
typical for this team win a meaningless game and hurt your chances at getting a stud in the draft.and dont tell me the talent is the same at the 6th pick and 9th pick this year

patmoran2006
01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
browns game doesn't matter because the browns have a much worse op winning percentage, and the first tie breaker is winning percentage not head to head.

the browns and skins could win and we could lose today and the browns and skins still would draft before us.

are they? I didnt bother to check since I didnt think there was a chance they'd win and we'd lose.

I knew what the tiebreaker is, just didnt know it was that far apart.

Ingtar33
01-03-2010, 02:26 PM
are they? I didnt bother to check since I didnt think there was a chance they'd win and we'd lose.

I knew what the tiebreaker is, just didnt know it was that far apart.

yeah the browns op winning percentage before this weekend was like .499 or something like that (the skin's was identical) and the bills was .527 (prior to facing the colts.. which will bump ours up a lot)

barring something crazy happening with a weird confluence of teams winning and losing i don't think a spread that big can be overcome.

when i was looking at our possible draft position heading into the weekend it looked like baring something really strange (and possibly mathematically impossible) we were going to draft between 7 and 10, with 7 to 9 being the possible spread if we lost, and 9-10 being the possible spread if we won.

baalworship
01-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Bears won so worst we can do is 9th. I guess we get to cheer for the Raiders overs Ravens and hope that we stay behind in SOS.

Even if we lost I doubt we would have moved up even a spot because of SOS. In fact I saw a scenario where we could have lost and dropped back a spot.

Ingtar33
01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Bears won so worst we can do is 9th. I guess we get to cheer for the Raiders overs Ravens and hope that we stay behind in SOS.

Even if we lost I doubt we would have moved up even a spot because of SOS. In fact I saw a scenario where we could have lost and dropped back a spot.

yep. if we lost and the raiders lost it was possible for us to flip spots, and fall from 8th to 9th.

the highest we could have gone with a loss was 7th.

now if the raiders can manage a win, we might move up to 8th again.

Slim
01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
yep. if we lost and the raiders lost it was possible for us to flip spots, and fall from 8th to 9th.

the highest we could have gone with a loss was 7th.

now if the raiders can manage a win, we might move up to 8th again.

Really? Go Oakland then.

TigerJ
01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
There is at least a reasonable chance that if the player Buffalo wants is available at 7 or 8, he'll be around at 9. He'll cost a little less at 9 too.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
There is at least a reasonable chance that if the player Buffalo wants is available at 7 or 8, he'll be around at 9. He'll cost a little less at 9 too.

This makes no sense.

Typ0
01-03-2010, 04:58 PM
This makes no sense.

makes perfect sense to me.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 04:59 PM
makes perfect sense to me.

Please elaborate?

Saratoga Slim
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I gave up on the draft ramifications and just decided to pretend this was Bills v. Colts in the first round of the playoffs. Had a GREAT afternoon!

Typ0
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Please elaborate?

There is only one or two spots difference from 7 to 9 and while it's possible I'd say the odds are against another team picking at 7 or 8 taking the exact player we want. So there isn't a lot we are giving up by a spot or two until you get up into the top 5 picks. And the lower pick will demand less money in their contract than the picks above them. So the net result is it's very likely we are saving a few bucks moving down a spot or two.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 06:09 PM
There is only one or two spots difference from 7 to 9 and while it's possible I'd say the odds are against another team picking at 7 or 8 taking the exact player we want. So there isn't a lot we are giving up by a spot or two until you get up into the top 5 picks. And the lower pick will demand less money in their contract than the picks above them. So the net result is it's very likely we are saving a few bucks moving down a spot or two.

Again, that makes no sense. You're assuming that another team would not want the same player as the Bills...how are you know that? You cannot make assumptions like that while trying to prove a point. The fact is, nobody knows how a draft will play out, but to say it probably doesn't matter about one or two spots is an offbase assumption.

Typ0
01-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Again, that makes no sense. You're assuming that another team would not want the same player as the Bills...how are you know that? You cannot make assumptions like that while trying to prove a point. The fact is, nobody knows how a draft will play out, but to say it probably doesn't matter about one or two spots is an offbase assumption.

the same thing works for your argument though yet you don't recognize that. You don't know another team would want the same player we do. What we said is there is a decent chance that dropping a spot or two only amounts to a financial gain. You're right, we have to see how it plays out but to get all bent out of shape because the Bills didn't throw the game today like the Colts did is silly IMO.

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
the same thing works for your argument though yet you don't recognize that. You don't know another team would want the same player we do. What we said is there is a decent chance that dropping a spot or two only amounts to a financial gain. You're right, we have to see how it plays out but to get all bent out of shape because the Bills didn't throw the game today like the Colts did is silly IMO.

No, I recognize that and would never state anything so ridiculous as that moving back doesn't matter because somebody might not want the player we want. I understand that the arguement works both ways...that's why I said his statement doesn't make any sense.

Novacane
01-03-2010, 06:34 PM

A meaningless big comeback win over Carolina cost us Julius Peppers. Instead we ended up with Mike Williams. I always rather pick higher.

Typ0
01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
A meaningless big comeback win over Carolina cost us Julius Peppers. Instead we ended up with Mike Williams. I always rather pick higher.

Those were top 5 picks though. There is a difference at least in the perceived talent you are getting in the top five and 7 or 9 pick.