PDA

View Full Version : How much power will Buddy Nix have?

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 05:38 AM
I think that is the major question when it comes to figuring out who the next coach will be. Is Nix a figurehead with a title or does he have full GM powers? Is he going to be in charge of the draft, player personnel moves and contracts? If so, then I find it hard to believe that a top level coach will be the next guy in here. Wouldn't one think that Cowher, Shanny or somebody of that caliber is going to want say over the many of the things that I mentioned?

Night Train
01-04-2010, 05:59 AM
GM's and coach are a team that usually share an agreed degree of power, IMO.

Right now, I'm just happy we have a GM that can go to the college All-Star games/Combine and actually know what the hell he's looking at. Knowing that he has a major say in our April draft makes me feel tons better.

Let's allow this head coaching search to play out, shall we ? Then we can all login and post " I called it ", pro or con. :rolleyes:

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 06:03 AM
This is an actual point that will go into the decision making process and you want to blow it off and have us all just sit here? Isn't it better to discuss something meaningful to the process rather than the 20 threads yesterday that were almost all game day speculation? I'd rather discuss this topic instead of waiting for the "OMG, I say Cowher eating a chicken wing - he must be the next coach" threads that are sure to pop up.

Night Train
01-04-2010, 06:10 AM
This is an actual point that will go into the decision making process and you want to blow it off and have us all just sit here? Isn't it better to discuss something meaningful to the process rather than the 20 threads yesterday that were almost all game day speculation? I'd rather discuss this topic instead of waiting for the "OMG, I say Cowher eating a chicken wing - he must be the next coach" threads that are sure to pop up.

Did I not state that the coach & GM are ususally a team that share an agreed level of power ? Sometime the coach has the final say and sometimes it's the GM.

Technically, the standard chain of command is the GM is the coaches boss, but in football that's not always true. Example - Cowher got Donahoe canned in Pittsburgh 10 years ago.

That alone should make him attractive to us. I could see Nix working well with anyone, due to his keen eye for talent.

McBFLO
01-04-2010, 07:06 AM
I think Nix plans on having a big voice in the discussion, but ultimately will try to come to an agreement with the man he chooses as HC. Remember, at his press conference he really stressed how important he felt it was for the HC and GM to get along and work well together. Although, that could be hidden-speak for "this son'***** better do done what i done told him to do"

Jan Reimers
01-04-2010, 07:18 AM
As long as Nix - an excellent talent evaluator - has a strong voice in player personnel matters, I don't really care. I find it hard to believe that Nix, who is not at all a Donahoe-like megalomaniac, won't be able to work with the new coach, whomever it might be.

Nix will be a huge asset with his evaluation skills, whether he has the ultimate say, or simply a high level of respected input. I don't see him involved in a power struggle.

DraftBoy
01-04-2010, 07:28 AM
I think Nix will be final say specifically related to bringing in new talent via FA and Draft. I feel as though he will amicable with the new coach in listening to what he needs as far as new talent, and such and that he will also be open to the input.

My ideal relationship as far as GM/Coach goes is that the GM handles personnel affairs, and the Coach handles gameday affairs. That's their jobs, when you get either who tries to meddle in the other it traditionally has disastorous results.

Canadian'eh!
01-04-2010, 07:45 AM
I think Nix will be final say specifically related to bringing in new talent via FA and Draft. I feel as though he will amicable with the new coach in listening to what he needs as far as new talent, and such and that he will also be open to the input.

My ideal relationship as far as GM/Coach goes is that the GM handles personnel affairs, and the Coach handles gameday affairs. That's their jobs, when you get either who tries to meddle in the other it traditionally has disastorous results.

If the new coach is Cowher, then I don't think Nix will have final say. It would have to be Cowher. Though I think Nix would be key to providing him with information, evaluations and opnions.

If the new coach is a coorindator or something then Nix probably calls the shots with input from them.

thesquirrelking
01-04-2010, 09:07 AM
"OMG, I say Cowher eating a chicken wing - he must be the next coach"

If it was mild or teriyaki, then he must be going to Tampa. If it was hot, then it's a lock he's going to Buffalo. That's my interpretation anyway...

DraftBoy
01-04-2010, 10:30 AM
If the new coach is Cowher, then I don't think Nix will have final say. It would have to be Cowher. Though I think Nix would be key to providing him with information, evaluations and opnions.

If the new coach is a coorindator or something then Nix probably calls the shots with input from them.

Which would be the main reason I dont want Cowher as much as some.

madness
01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I think this question may have been answered.

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 08:53 PM
yeah...no silly threads were started today, were they??? :rolleyes:

The Jokeman
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM

The key is the GM has to work with the HC to bring the right kind of players. As I'll be honest I haven't seen that happen since the days of Butler/Phillips here. As Butler seemed to understand the type of players fit Phillips' D when he brought in guys like Ted Washington and Bryce Paup. TD to me just brought in names to help GW D but never really found the right type of DT in fact could say the same thing about Brandon and Jauron too.

Buddo
01-05-2010, 04:31 AM
I think the situation with Ralph, is that he pretty much just wants to be kept informed of what's happening. Same as he has done with his HC. Do that, and he doesn't bother you.
His 'interference' is vastly overrated imho. Sure, there have been occasions when he has dipped his mitts into the dirty water, but that is inevitable over a 50 year span as owner.
One thing is certain, absolutely no owner of an NFL team, lets his GM appoint a new HC, without knowing who that HC is.
I think the fundamental aspect of dealing with Ralph, is trust. Earn his trust, and you will get his backing. I think Nix has that trust, and rightfully so.