PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna have the strongest defense this year in the AFC East?

WG
06-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Which of the AFC East teams do you think will have the best defense this season?

Jan Reimers
06-03-2003, 09:54 AM
The Bills, with several "ifs." If Sam Adams gets in shape; Marcus Jones gets healthy; Jeff Posey is more than just a product of the Texans' system; Coy Wire continues to develop; Izell Reese upgrades FS. Now that I look at this list, there are probably too many "ifs."

Voltron
06-03-2003, 11:45 AM
I hate to say it but I think that the Fins have a great core group and will continue to dominate every team they play on D ... except the Bills :D

Mr. Miyagi
06-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Who are we kidding? Although I'm a hardcore Bills fan, there is NO WAY we can suddenly be better than Miami's long standing great D just in one offseason. Ask me again in 2 years and if things pan out, I may give a different answer.

WG
06-03-2003, 12:18 PM
I think we can. Our biggest detriment by far last season was due to our inability to stop the run. That has ramifications on several fronts: first, it allows teams to wear out your D. Second, it allows the other teams O to be on the field longer and makes them more balanced by default. Third, Their D gets plenty of rest. Fourth, it made our secondary incredibly less effective.

I think that we're gonna improve our D by quite a bit this year, to the tune of ~ 100 PA. Miami is good, but they've shown weaknesses as well. Last year they gave up 301 points, not low or mid 200s. They're very good, but I think we'll give them a run for their money. IMO one of the differences may be w/ the Fiedler/Griese situation causing issues w/ their O.

They did sign Knight and Buckley which should improve them w/o any significant losses however. But I think our secondary is gonna shine w/ a reasonable front 7 ahead of them and that's gonna be the difference as we'll reap enormous benefits there as a result.

I think it's gonna be close however. Gotta go w/ us! I can certaily understand giving the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise however.

Mr. Miyagi
06-03-2003, 01:31 PM
I can't believe I'm reading this: an optimistic Wys Guy. NOW I've seen it all. :bf1:

Patrick76777
06-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Miami’s D is undersized. They don’t agree, but J. Taylor is undersized for a DE and Thomas is Undersized for a MLB. Plus their DT’s are not as strong as they once were. And now with the addition of old Seau, their LB’s are not as fast anymore.

Every year, their fast small defense would be flying around the field early in the season. And with it being 150 degrees in Miami, other teams didn’t have a shot. But when the weather got cold, the beatings start adding up for the small players and power football really kicks in. The defense disappears. Miami fans don’t believe it, but it’s happened for about 4 years in a row now.

LABillsFan
06-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Buff and NE have made big steps in upgrading the D side of the ball. The Dophins had the best last year and did bring in some more talent. The jets may be losing ground in this area

NE (The addition of D players and coaching gets them the top spot in the division
Miami ( Solid D but more pressure will be put on them because their off will sputter this year)
Buff ( While it may be the most improved, they were 3 steps behind the caliber in the division now they are 1 step with the exception of the Jets.
NYJ (Edwards always gets his team ready but the honeymoon may be over)