PDA

View Full Version : The case for Billick

patmoran2006
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I wrote this on Saturday night.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/the-case-for-brian-billick/

Prov401
01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't be happy with Billick. He was lucky enough to have Ozzie upstairs, drafting and providing him with some of the best prospects out of college. The guy is supposed to be known for his offense. His offense. Offense. When was anybody EVER scared of facing the unbelievably high scoring Ravens during his tenure? He's mediocre, and was lucky to have people like Marvin Lewis, and Rex Ryan running his D. He is bad at developing QB's, and I'd actually be f'n pissed if we get this guy. The ring is a smokescreen. Hey, the Bears had a great D in 1985. Ditka got his ring. But when he came back to coaching, he did squat. Some people in this world get lucky. Billick and Dilfer are two of em'.

Nighthawk
01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't be happy with Billick. He was lucky enough to have Ozzie upstairs, drafting and providing him with some of the best prospects out of college. The guy is supposed to be known for his offense. His offense. Offense. When was anybody EVER scared of facing the unbelievably high scoring Ravens during his tenure? He's mediocre, and was lucky to have people like Marvin Lewis, and Rex Ryan running his D. He is bad at developing QB's, and I'd actually be f'n pissed if we get this guy. The ring is a smokescreen. Hey, the Bears had a great D in 1985. Ditka got his ring. But when he came back to coaching, he did squat. Some people in this world get lucky. Billick and Dilfer are two of em'.

You may not like him, but he wasn't mediocre.

patmoran2006
01-04-2010, 12:43 PM
one thing you cant take away from him is he's been impeccable and hiring great assistants and coordinators

homeslice5484
01-04-2010, 12:46 PM
we need good coordinators, not the ones we have had under Jauron

Nighthawk
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
one thing you cant take away from him is he's been impeccable and hiring great assistants and coordinators

And that is a HUGE factor in picking a new HC. A guy with a reputation for being successful in the NFL will most likely be able to get better assistant coaches then a new guy who's never had to do it. I'm not ready to watch a new guy "try" to put together a good staff. I want a guy who "has" a good staff ready to go!

Michael82
01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't mind Billick! I still prefer Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer. But Billick is definitely up there. :up:

Demon
01-04-2010, 01:10 PM
And that is a HUGE factor in picking a new HC. A guy with a reputation for being successful in the NFL will most likely be able to get better assistant coaches then a new guy who's never had to do it. I'm not ready to watch a new guy "try" to put together a good staff. I want a guy who "has" a good staff ready to go!

That's the thing right there. He has tons of connections and people will want to be on a staff with him. Hiring guys like Zimmer or Grimm will probably mean we'll hire unproven coordinators like Alex Van Pelt or something. We need guys who know what their doing.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
That's the thing right there. He has tons of connections and people will want to be on a staff with him. Hiring guys like Zimmer or Grimm will probably mean we'll hire unproven coordinators like Alex Van Pelt or something. We need guys who know what their doing.

That's the biggest reason I want Billick. He knows you have to have good experienced coordinators to make it work. Wonder who he has in mind.

madness
01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Game show contestant

Shortly before beginning his coaching career, Billick appeared as a contestant on Match Game PM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_Game_PM) in 1977, losing to Marla Marshall.<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Billick#cite_note-12)</sup> Panelist Richard Dawson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawson) remarked after Billick's loss: "Failed at football. Failed at Match Game. Where will you go now?" <sup id="cite_ref-13" class="reference">[14] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Billick#cite_note-13)</sup>

Answer: The Buffalo Bills :doh:

B-DON
01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
when he had the talent he tore it up with the vikings. not his fault boller is never gonna make it anywhere in this league

Prov401
01-04-2010, 01:54 PM
when he had the talent he tore it up with the vikings. not his fault boller is never gonna make it anywhere in this league

I'm not talking about his tenure with the Vikings. I'm talking about his tenure with the Ravens. The one where he was at the bottom of every offensive category in the NFL for nearly a decade.

Jeff1220
01-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Actually, it is his fault - Boller was his pick.

Philagape
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually, it is his fault - Boller was his pick.

Can you back this up please? Not that I don't believe you, but it's unusual for a coach to overrule a GM.

ParanoidAndroid
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
If he has some say in player acquisition, he'll put together a better offense than he had in Baltimore. They gave him a great O-line and zero at the skill positions. The talent was all on the defensive side of the ball.