PDA

View Full Version : Kovalchuk?

DrGraves
01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
There is a very good chance he could be moved out of Atlanta... I think he would be exactly what this team needs. I mean we have a solid defense, some good role players on offense, and miller of course is playing out of his mind. This team is just a little start power away from making a legit run at the cup....

Any thoughts? I'd give up a little bit of young talent to make a real run at it this season. Wouldn't you?

Forward_Lateral
01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I think you'll have to give up more than a little bit of young talent. I'd be willing to bet Atlanta will seek at least a first round pick plus some prospects. I know he's probably gone after the season, so I'd be guessing that wherever he's traded will probably be only for the rest of this year.

DrGraves
01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I think you'll have to give up more than a little bit of young talent. I'd be willing to bet Atlanta will seek at least a first round pick plus some prospects. I know he's probably gone after the season, so I'd be guessing that wherever he's traded will probably be only for the rest of this year.

Right and because he will only be around for just the end of the season I don't think the price would be quite that high. At some point the franchise needs to roll the dice and make a run at the cup. Maybe this could be it at the right price..

RockStar36
01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Atlanta is most likely going to be shopping him. I really don't see him staying there. I've secretly wondered in my head how great it would be for Buffalo to make this move, but there is no way it's happening. It's not their style and it would take quite a bit to have him come this way. We can always hope though.

Forward_Lateral
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not saying Kovy isn't worth it, or the Sabres shouldn't ( I hope they don't, being a Leafs' fan", I'm just wondering if they can A.) afford his salary for the rest of the season, cap-wise, and B.) are willing to give up a first round pick plus some.

I just don't see Buffalo being willing to do it. If they did, it would be great for Sabres fans, and it would suck for the rest of the East.

Forward_Lateral
01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow, that was a total misuse of parenthesis. Sorry.

rbochan
01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
After what he's said about Ruff in the press, he'd never play in Buffalo.

DMBcrew36
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Apparently there is a Chicago rumor out there about Kovie. I wouldn't bother renting the guy - it's too much to give up just to have him for 4 months.

However, I would consider inquiring after him this Summer. He's clearly one of the best pure goal scorers in the league.

DrGraves
01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I just wish for once either the Sabres or Bills would just say **** it. Let's win it all THIS YEAR. RIGHT NOW!

ddaryl
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Apparently there is a Chicago rumor out there about Kovie. I wouldn't bother renting the guy - it's too much to give up just to have him for 4 months.

However, I would consider inquiring after him this Summer. He's clearly one of the best pure goal scorers in the league.

How about doing both, acquire him now and resign him.

Bottom line is the Sabres are missing a piece.... If they want to win it all they have to make a major move IMO

Dr. Pepper
01-05-2010, 05:47 PM
we dont have the cap space.

ddaryl
01-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Figures

still need to make a move

RockStar36
01-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Considering what they would have to give up to get a guy like that, cap space wouldn't be an issue at all.

don137
01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
If they wanted a prospect what do you think they would want? My guess is someone like Gerbe and a draft pick.

Nighthawk
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Trade Vanek...

Dozerdog
01-05-2010, 09:12 PM
It would take a ransome - Vanek, Meyers, and a prospect like Gerbe.

And no guarantee he would resign here. If he could/would resign- I'd do it in a heartbeat

DMBcrew36
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
It would take a ransome - Vanek, Meyers, and a prospect like Gerbe.

And no guarantee he would resign here. If he could/would resign- I'd do it in a heartbeat

I think it would have to take a 1st rounder, plus a top player/prospect. It's not worth it. If you want him, you go after him this Summer - but we have no room for that kind of salary.

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Trade Vanek...

I think Vanek is untradeable

Not to many NHL players making 50 million for producing 10 goals

DMBcrew36
01-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I think Vanek is untradeable

Not to many NHL players making 50 million for producing 10 goals

At his salary? Probably. Though he could do better if he played alongside a franchise center.

No matter what, he scores most of his goals in front and around the net, so thats where he needs to be utilized, regardless of who he's on the ice with. Especially on the powerplay, that's where Vanek needs to be - in front of the net.

Dr. Pepper
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Considering what they would have to give up to get a guy like that, cap space wouldn't be an issue at all.

i actually dont know that theyd want to take on salary in return. more likely theyd want Ennis, Kassian, draft picks, Gogulla, etc.

hydro
01-10-2010, 12:50 PM
MYERS IS OFF LIMITS! PERIOD!

DrGraves
01-10-2010, 01:26 PM
If we ever lose myers i will never support the sabres again... he is going to be one of the best defensemen ever.

DMBcrew36
01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
If you guys actually think for one second (which you must because you're mentioning it) that the Sabres would even entertain the idea of dealing Myers, then you really have no idea. Regier will not be dealing Myers anytime in the next few years, guaranteed.