• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Winter Classic

What did you think? I was on Lansdown Street for the game, what a blast! Afterward I verbally assaulted everyone from Philly.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Winter Classic

The ice surface was the best of any of the previous classics (probably), but other than that, it doesn't really hold a torch to the 1st Winter Classic for crowd, raucousness, energy, scene, snow, etc. The anthems really blew this year - the Canadian was butchered, and Taylor's American anthem stirred no emotion. The stealth bomber showed up late. And if you weren't sitting somewhere behind 1st base, home, or third base, your view sucked. Those sitting along the green monster and in the outfield were better off sitting at home watching on TV, because there is no way they could see much of the game.

I look forward to watching the BU/BC game at Fenway on January 7th.
    Last edited by DMBcrew36; 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• The King
      • Jun 2004

The view pretty much sucked everywhere.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

eh, winter classic is the worst of what the NHL has to offer. The game is slow and emotionless. The intermissions are all puff pieces, and there are a ton of ice fixtures. even with this years ice being the best, there were stoppages in play.

The sweet caroline "7th inning stretch" didn't seem to go over so well with everyone. Even Dennis Leary looked embarassed to have to partake in it.

NHL needs a russ brandon. a guy who just sells the crap out of crappy product. unless they make the game faster they way it was meant to be played, there is just no way the Winterclassic is the best respresentation of what hockey has to offer .

Comment

• DMBcrew36
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
          eh, winter classic is the worst of what the NHL has to offer. The game is slow and emotionless. The intermissions are all puff pieces, and there are a ton of ice fixtures. even with this years ice being the best, there were stoppages in play.

The sweet caroline "7th inning stretch" didn't seem to go over so well with everyone. Even Dennis Leary looked embarassed to have to partake in it.

NHL needs a russ brandon. a guy who just sells the crap out of crappy product. unless they make the game faster they way it was meant to be played, there is just no way the Winterclassic is the best respresentation of what hockey has to offer .
          Nah, what is needed, is for NBC to just simulcast the CBC broadcast. The NBC guys are so dumb and clueless about hockey and spend most of the time telling stupid stories.

To just simulcast the CBC broadcast would be to improve the event for TV viewers 1000%.

Comment

• DrGraves
            • Mar 2008

Does anyone know what the TV ratings were for the classic? Did it grab any national attention?

I think its a good thing for the NHL... I love hockey and i hope it makes a comeback!

Comment

• SabreEleven
              • Aug 2002

My first thought "Why are they singing Sweet Caroline in Boston, shouldn't they be singing about Boston or something related?" That was gay.

Comment

• JD
                Sabres Zone
                • Sep 2003

I believe it was because they sing it during the 7th inning stretch of Red Sox Games..

But about the ratings,
                "NBC earned a 2.6 overnight Nielsen rating for the Flyers-Bruins Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic on Friday, down 10.3% from a 2.9 for the Red Wings-Blackhawks matchup last year, and even with the inaugural Penguins-Sabres Winter Classic in ‘08."
                “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

Bring it back to Buffalo!

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                    Bring it back to Buffalo!
                    The league needs to put on in Canada, soon. The U.S. has had 3 straight, while Canada hasn't had one since 2003.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                      The league needs to put on in Canada, soon. The U.S. has had 3 straight, while Canada hasn't had one since 2003.
                      You might have players actually freeze to death if they play it in Canada.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

If it's in Canada, it won't be on New Years Day. You only have three real placed that would be cold enough in Montreal, Edmonton and Alberta. Toronto would be the only real option for New Year's Day, but I don't really know where they'd play it.

If you had it on NYD in one of the places other than TO, you'd be looking at the chances of being snowed out (Montreal), or -30 + temperatures (Alberta)

Comment

• The King
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
                          I believe it was because they sing it during the 7th inning stretch of Red Sox Games..

But about the ratings,

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...ssic_ratings1/
                          If you read on it was Philly that hurt the ratings the game got a 14.4 in Boston.
                          It was all

Comment

• RockStar36
                            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                            • Sep 2004

I'm not crazy about it being played in baseball stadiums. They could easily put it in football stadiums and double or triple the crowd size.

D & S Sports

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by RockStar36
                              I'm not crazy about it being played in baseball stadiums. They could easily put it in football stadiums and double or triple the crowd size.
                              Yep, the Winter Classic in Buffalo looked wayyyy cooler on TV and from the standpoint of someone who was in the stands. Plus the view was probably 50x better at the Ralph than at Fengay.

Comment

Working...
                              X