X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

My view on Cowher

For those of you know me, I have always stayed on Cowher side during the Cowher/Donohoe rift in Pittsburgh and subsequently bashed Donahoe when he came to Buffalo.

I actually met Cowher in person once through my friend working for one of the agencies here. My biggest impression is that he's actually a very funny guy, easy to get along.

But I stay neutral on him to be the next Bills coach.

He had an impossible track record as a Steeler's coach. Tomlin won the 2nd superbowl practically with his staff and his players.

I just don't know if Cowher will have the same drive EVER as he was with the Steelers.

We all know he's not Belichick, not that much into Xs and Os. But the guy has an eye for coaches. Look at the coaches around the league that started from his staff. Once he got the personnel guy that meshes with him (Kevin Colbert), you know the answer: better coaches + better players = much better results.

Years of playoff yet not getting the ultimate prize must've driven him crazy. He's not shy of ditching coaches for the sake of better ones. He could stay at the helm for as long as he wanted in Pittsburgh, but he quit. Some say he's tired, needed a re-charge. I just think he may have lost that drive once reaching the summit.

There is no doubt when he comes back to coaching, he's in for the money. There will be bumpy roads if he takes on Bills or any other team that does not have ideal situation, like a ready franchise QB. When the road gets tough, I just wonder if he will plow his way through again like he did in Pittsburgh?

Jimmy Johnson was a tireless worker in Dallas and in Miami. He himself admitted to people closely to him that in Miami it was much harder for him: he already has the rings; he could fetch a pretty penny from Fox; so why work from dark in the morning to dark at night fighting through this road with no end in sight?

Bill Cowher could very well be Jimmy Johnson II.
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: My view on Cowher

Interesting take.

But everytime I win a poker game, I can't wait for the next one.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
      Interesting take.

But everytime I win a poker game, I can't wait for the next one.
      I don't know how much work there is into winning a poker game. I do know every lotto winners dream of another one.

but there are people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffert, who, I guess, they have won when they were 20 or 30 years old. But they continue to play the game not so much to win - they just love to win and love to dominate.

In a way I really love Belichick - he has won, and has won big. But he's not satified with that, he wanted to win even bigger, like dominating the league, going for undefeated season etc.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Interesting indeed.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
        X