PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown: Schottenheimer getting more play

Michael82
01-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Former San Diego head coach Marty Schottenheimer continues to get more and more play concerning the Bills head coaching vacancy.

Most of it is rooted in the fact that Schottenheimer and Bills GM Buddy Nix share a close relationship. They spend leisure time together golfing and there’s an inherent trust there. I’ve been a proponent that Schottenheimer would be just what the Bills need, a disciplinarian that preaches the kind of football that would be successful in a climate like Buffalo.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter appears to be on board (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4792580&name=schefter_adam) as well.

I think Schottenheimer would be a great fit in Buffalo, and the fact that the Bills hired Buddy Nix as GM increases the chances that Schottenheimer would get a long look there. Schottenheimer and Nix worked together in San Diego and are close. Nix also worked with Cam Cameron in San Diego, and he’s another name that should not be dismissed. No one knows exactly what direction Buffalo is going to go, but there aren’t many coaches that would fare any better for the Bills than Marty Schottenheimer.

Schottenheimer however, told the Associated Press late Monday afternoon that he has not had any contact with anyone from the Bills organization, though he did admit he left a congratulatory voice mail for Nix on his phone. When asked by the AP if he could see himself as the next head coach of the Bills his answer was “not likely.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/01/04/schottenheimer-getting-more-play/

mchurchfie
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
"Not likely" is better than "absolutely not."

Michael82
01-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Could this be why the Bills moved the Cowher interview back? Nix has Schottenheimer as his #1 candidate and he really wants to convince him to come back.

FlyingDutchman
01-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Please god bring in Shotty....i hate hanging on every word out of these guys mouths

Historian
01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Schotzy here gets us 10 wins next year, and possibly the division.

Michael82
01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Schottenheimer knows how to win! And he would likely bring his son who knows how to run the ball on the Jets.

trapezeus
01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
schottenheimer is a better version of dick jauron. once we go through the playoffs and lose 2 or 3 times, we'll hate ourselves for picking a career post season loser.

Do not settle for this.

Prov401
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
IMO, Cowher, Schotty, and Dungy are the top 3 coaches, not coaching in the NFL. I'd be happy with either of them.

patmoran2006
I think he's the only guy besides Cowher that fans would be completely satisified with.

EDS
How old is Marty?

Prov401
01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
schottenheimer is a better version of dick jauron. once we go through the playoffs and lose 2 or 3 times, we'll hate ourselves for picking a career post season loser.

Do not settle for this.

At this point, it's just all about getting into the playoffs. Marty has just had some bad luck for some reason. Sometimes it takes a while for coaches to get the job done. It took Cowher a while. Last I checked, Cowher choked many big games in January before getting it done in '05'.

don137
01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I worry that he is only a short term solution and would turn the reigns over to his son in 2-3 years and then this team will go back to becoming a bottom feeder once again and more misery. While Schottenheimer here sounds good in the short term in the mid term and long term it will hurt Buffalo IMO.

Historian
01-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Remember the year he went 13-3 with Steve Bono as Quarterback?

Historian
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Turned 67 in September.

I believe he's a Virgo.

patmoran2006
01-04-2010, 05:01 PM
66 I think, maybe 67

patmoran2006
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Brown usually cant put up something like this if its something the BIlls are dead set against, unless he's quietly shooting it down.

Only thing I worry about is he also mentioned Cam Cameron, which may make a Bills fan wanna kill someone

Jeff1220
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Remember the year he went 13-3 with Steve Bono as Quarterback?

And the last season he coached, his Chargers went 14-2. Marty is good enough that he would have to eventually get over the Super Bowl hump, and so would the Bills. I'd love to see them do it together.
Marty, in a way, is a better man for the job than Cowher. MS has turned crappy teams into winners in different cities w/different FOs, staffs and rosters. Cowher did all his coaching under the Rooneys in Pittsburgh.

tampabay25690
01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I think he's the only guy besides Cowher that fans would be completely satisified with.

Pat are the fans gonna be happy either way if we dont get Cowher..
I doubt it.....

Beebe's Kid
01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Turned 67 in September.

I believe he's a Virgo.
...and enjoys sunsets, long walks on the beach, and small shiny objects.

I'b be happy with Marty....happier with Cowher, but happy with Marty.

patmoran2006
01-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I doubt it.....

I think 75% of fans would be happy with Marty S.
I think roughly half, maybe a little less with Billick.

It also depends on what Cowher says.

If he comes off as he has no interest in being here, then you cant blame the Bills.

But if reports come out we didnt want to meet his salary or whatever, then nobody will be happy with anyone else, and fans will be ready to storm the gates.

Demon
01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I doubt it.....

This forum will be split in half if it's anyone other then Cowher.

Jeff1220
01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I think 75% of fans would be happy with Marty S.
I think roughly half, maybe a little less with Billick.

It also depends on what Cowher says.

If he comes off as he has no interest in being here, then you cant blame the Bills.

But if reports come out we didnt want to meet his salary or whatever, then nobody will be happy with anyone else, and fans will be ready to storm the gates.

Sounds about right Pat.

zone
01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Marty will get us to the playoffs with home field advantage and the 12th man will take care of the rest! He and Cowher are 1a and 1b for me.

EDS
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Turned 67 in September.

I believe he's a Virgo.

Who is currently the oldest head coach in the NFL?

HHURRICANE
01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Shottenheimer is by far the best fit here but I doubt it happens. Cowher was a pipe dream.

Nobody wants to admit that our owner is the biggest reason that no one wants to come here.

TheBrownBear
01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I like Marty over Cowher. He has a proven track record of success with multiple organizations.

McBFLO
01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Just a thought here, but if Marty comes here as HC and brings his son to be, say, OC/Asst HC, it could setup the Bills nicely for the long term on coaching. Marty sticks around for 3 years with Brian eventually taking over once Marty retires. It'd give that "continuity" that One Bills Drive loves so much.

And wouldnt it be nice to NOT have to constantly go thru this crap every 3-4 years?

EDS
01-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Just a thought here, but if Marty comes here as HC and brings his son to be, say, OC/Asst HC, it could setup the Bills nicely for the long term on coaching. Marty sticks around for 3 years with Brian eventually taking over once Marty retires. It'd give that "continuity" that One Bills Drive loves so much.

And wouldnt it be nice to NOT have to constantly go thru this crap every 3-4 years?

Well, when you hire a 70 year old GM and, if Marty is the coach, a 67 year old coach, it kind of sets the organization up for some turnover at the top spots in the not too distant future.

McBFLO
01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Well, when you hire a 70 year old GM and, if Marty is the coach, a 67 year old coach, it kind of sets the organization up for some turnover at the top spots in the not too distant future.
Right. And if Schotty Jr is getting the attention of potential HC jobs now, I'd think he'd be fine working under his father for a few years if he knew it'd be his job once his father retired. IMO it's be a good, long-term plan for the Bills (assuming our offense improves under his coaching, of course).

ddaryl
01-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Cowher > Shotty > ______ > Billick

EDS
01-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Right. And if Schotty Jr is getting the attention of potential HC jobs now, I'd think he'd be fine working under his father for a few years if he knew it'd be his job once his father retired. IMO it's be a good, long-term plan for the Bills (assuming our offense improves under his coaching, of course).

I guess the questions are whether Jr. (a) would want to make a lateral move from the Jets to the Bills and (b) would be willing to wait a few years to become a head coach.

You also have to consider that Nix will likely be gone in a few years to retirement, so he may not have the built in support of the GM in a few years.

McBFLO
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I guess the questions are whether Jr. (a) would want to make a lateral move from the Jets to the Bills and (b) would be willing to wait a few years to become a head coach.

You also have to consider that Nix will likely be gone in a few years to retirement, so he may not have the built in support of the GM in a few years.

I don't know this to be fact, but I don't believe he has the Asst HC position in NY, which would make it an upward move career-wise, and on your second point... good call. Hadn't thought of that.

justasportsfan
01-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Bring in Shotty and make Cam Cameron Asst HC/OC. I'd be happy with that.

Typ0
01-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't know about Shotty any more. To me, it looks like his heart really isn't into coaching and trying to lure someone to do something like this could be a disaster. I say, call him up, tell him we're willing to pay him more than fair and we want someone that will work their ass off to help us win. If he balks at that then be done with him. Chasing anyone around is a mistake plus, we look desparate already and that turns people off.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2010, 07:37 PM

NFL Network said that it's the opposite. You hire the kid and you get Marty as an advisor.

YardRat
01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm not real big on Marty, to be honest, but you can't argue the fact that for him at least the playoffs are a given at some point wherever he goes. That's a lot more than Cowher or Billick can say considering they've only had one stint each.

I'm getting to the point where I don't care who the HC is, but we better get some experienced, kick-ass coordinators.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm not real big on Marty, to be honest, but you can't argue the fact that for him at least the playoffs are a given at some point wherever he goes. That's a lot more than Cowher or Billick can say considering they've only had one stint each.

I'm getting to the point where I don't care who the HC is, but we better get some experienced, kick-ass coordinators.

I love Marty and I think he is perfect for Buffalo. However, the ship has sailed.

HAMMER
01-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I am a big Schottenheimer fan and would be more than pleased if we had him on our sideline.

Demon
01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't know about Shotty any more. To me, it looks like his heart really isn't into coaching and trying to lure someone to do something like this could be a disaster. I say, call him up, tell him we're willing to pay him more than fair and we want someone that will work their ass off to help us win. If he balks at that then be done with him. Chasing anyone around is a mistake plus, we look desparate already and that turns people off.

That's my problem with him. It seems like the more people reject us, the more we beg for Shotty.... maybe he will have a change of heart and be all excited to return to football but for how long will he keep interest? We don't need a guy who is doing a job because he feels obligated to. We need a guy with dreams, hopes and desire of building a team to be reckon with. Someone who will stay up half the night trying to come up with a game plan to finally beat Belly and the Pats.

nateodoms'bff
01-04-2010, 09:01 PM
This all stinks of the Marv Levy Era (GM, not coach).

In fact, its just like the coaching era, considering Marv coached against Marty in the 90's.

The positives of Marty Ball, are that there wouldnt be a lot of turnaround on offense. Trent Edwards is a perfect fit for Marty Ball/Brian Ball. The Bills have to excellent running backs, and a big physical, young offensive line. Two tight ends capable of making a play in Nelson and Schouman (yeah i said it!). They would need a receiver. Maybe Owens stays and mentors Hardy and Johnson another year, maybe they gamble on Hardy at the #2 and Johnson in the slot.

The big question is the defense. Do they switch to the 3-4? If thats the case, thats a major rebuild for the defense. A NT, and AT LEAST another LB or DE. I liked what I saw out of Ellis yesterday. He has speed and he was in the backfield yesterday several times. I think its worth a shot. Maybin is the question mark. I think if he is coached to go after the ball, or whoever is holding it, then he could be a real force. The ILB would have to be POZ and Mitchell. Thats not bad, but I would love that the OLB's would have some more experience. The secondary is obviously not a problem.

I'm on board with whatever move they make, as long as its not Ron Rivera. At that point they should just keep Fewell, and continue to let us all down.

My vote if for Russ Grimm. The dude is tough, and he would make this team into a nasty team that can punch the ball down your throat.

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM

Do not settle for this.

Exactly what it would be...couldn't get Shanny, couldn't get Holmgren, couldn't get Cowher...got to make the fans happy......Shottzy....yikes. He's 67. no way.

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM

Satisfied with a career playoff disaster?? pass.

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Brown usually cant put up something like this if its something the BIlls are dead set against, unless he's quietly shooting it down.

Only thing I worry about is he also mentioned Cam Cameron, which may make a Bills fan wanna kill someone

Cam would make the season ticket base drop to 20K. At that point I would say there is a conspiracy to kill the Bills in Buffalo.

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 09:17 PM

Shottzy, Jr? The guy who couldn't coach an offensive against our defense?? This has Mike Mularkey Part II written all over it.

The Slave
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Schottenheimer is the guy I'd prefer much more than Billick. Hopefully, he's our coach. He's my number 1 target.

Experienced and a great tutor on the offense.

Make us excited, Ralph, please don't screw this one up. I trust Nix will make a more educated decision than everyone here, though.

BillsNick
01-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I guess I would be happier with Billick. He's won a superbowl. I don't recall us ever being coached by someone whose won a superbowl.