PDA

View Full Version : Ed Kilgore on Billick

homeslice5484
01-04-2010, 08:18 PM
http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73279&catid=4

<!-- © 2006-2009 Turn Inc --> http://pixel.quantserve.com/pixel/p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif?labels=NewsAndReference <script defer="defer" type="text/javascript" src="http://tap-cdn.rubiconproject.com/partner/scripts/rubicon/alice.js"></script> Orchard Park, NY -- There are indications former Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick is in the process of putting together a coaching staff to join him in Buffalo, even though Billick said on the NFL Network Monday "I've not had contact with the Bills as of yet".
Ch2 Sports Director Ed Kilgore has learned from an NFL source that Billick contacted Jacksonville Jaguars assistant head coach/tight ends coach Mike Tice (http://www.jaguars.com/team/Coach.aspx?id=2638)about the possibility of joining Billick if he is named head coach of the Bills. This begs the question "is Billick putting the cart before the horse" here? We'll find out shortly, as several media outlets report the Bills plan to contact Billick about their head coaching job very soon.
The Buffalo Bills (http://www.buffalobills.com/) essentially fired their entire coaching staff Monday by releasing them from any contractual obligations so that they would be free to pursue other jobs. Even though Bills interim head coach Perry Fewell is included in the group, Fewell will still interview for the Bills head coaching job soon.
Billick would certainly fit the job description for new Bills gm Buddy Nix, who says he prefers to hire a coach who has NFL head coaching experience. Billick was 80-64 in Baltimore and won a Super Bowl, and by reaching out for a staff, it appears Billick is seriously interested in the Bills job and wants to be fully prepared for the meeting that seems almost certain to take place.
Billick could have competition, however, from 66-year old Marty Schottenheimer (http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73273&catid=37), who told Ch2 Sports Monday he is "not likely" to become head coach of the Buffalo Bills, which is a much different response than he offered when asked the same question a month ago. Schottenheimer has been the head coach of the Browns, Chiefs, Redskins and Chargers, and in 10 seasons in K.C. won three division titles and made seven playoff appearances. He led the Chargers to a 14-2 record in 2007 but was fired after the Chargers lost their first playoff game.
Schottenheimer has a Buffalo connection, as a standout linebacker for the Bills in the late 60's.
While former Steelers coach Bill Cowher (http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73249&catid=37) is thought to be the Bills #1 choice after meeting with owner Ralph Wilson and CEO Russ Brandon last week according to ESPN, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported Monday that Cowher probably won't coach anywhere in 2010.
Monday, Fox Sports reported the Bills are looking to interview Eagles defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm and Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.
wgrz.com

YardRat
01-04-2010, 08:21 PM
No mention of Rivera...

Demon
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Tice and Billick would be a good combo. Tice used to coach the offensive line so i assume he knows a thing or two.

baalworship
01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
That would be good news for those who wanted a smash mouth team.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Chargers has the right to refuse a Rivera interview. maybe AJ Smith wants to get back at Ralph.

HAMMER
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
With Tice on board he could Captain the Love Canal Boat.

homeslice5484
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
The thing about Billick, is he is more likely to attract better assistant coaches because he has experience.

A rookie HC would have trouble in most cases I think because of his experience and knowing who to get as well as trying to convince guys to to join him. He also may not hire a guy who would be considered "smarter" than he is. Hence why Jauron had rookie offensive coordinators and a first time defensive coordinator.

Commissioner
01-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm sure any coach preparing for an interview would contact potential coordinators.... so when they are interviewed they could say... "These are the guys I will bring in as part of my staff... "

It's not rocket science...

Demon
01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm sure any coach preparing for an interview would contact potential coordinators.... so when they are interviewed they could say... "These are the guys I will bring in as part of my staff... "

It's not rocket science...

Not really. When Shanahan began talking to the Bills, he made it known to them he will want a unlimited amount of money for assistant coaches. You can't build up a coach list of known coaches and show up to the interview. Oh, besides paying me a ton load, i also need you to give me a ton load to get some peeps to help. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

A lot of newer coaches come with prepared lists to show what type of style they want to play and who will help them. Usually it's like WR coach from another team to be his OC.

Commissioner
01-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Not really. When Shanahan began talking to the Bills, he made it known to them he will want a unlimited amount of money for assistant coaches. You can't build up a coach list of known coaches and show up to the interview. Oh, besides paying me a ton load, i also need you to give me a ton load to get some peeps to help. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

A lot of newer coaches come with prepared lists to show what type of style they want to play and who will help them. Usually it's like WR coach from another team to be his OC.

Really... must of been nice listening to the conversation Shanahan had with the Bills...

BillsWin
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
A Billick-Tice combo sounds pretty good actually. Who would he bring in on defense though? Because I really want to switch to a 3-4...

Demon
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Really... must of been nice listening to the conversation Shanahan had with the Bills...

Or just listen to what Adam Schefter reported.

Now that's not rocket science. Shanahan had to be positively sure the team was not only willing to pay him whatever he wanted, but also give him a open check book to bring in coordinators. I doubt he had a list, just a $$ figure of how much the Bills were willing to go.

Demon
01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
A Billick-Tice combo sounds pretty good actually. Who would he bring in on defense though? Because I really want to switch to a 3-4...

Maybe he also brings Jim Zorn as QB coach? Hmm...

No clue who would come and coach the defense though.

Nighthawk
01-04-2010, 09:24 PM
One thing is a guaranteed if you bring in an established HC...he is much more likely to have quality assistants then a new HC. If you were an assistant, who would you go with...a rookie HC or a proven winner who's been there, done that? It's easy, you go with the proven HC.

Commissioner
01-04-2010, 09:28 PM
One thing is a guaranteed if you bring in an established HC...he is much more likely to have quality assistants then a new HC. If you were an assistant, who would you go with...a rookie HC or a proven winner who's been there, done that? It's easy, you go with the proven HC.

You're right about that...

Billick had so much trouble getting an offense functioning in Baltimore that he hired his buddy Fassel as a consultant... then made him OC.... then fired him and tried calling plays himself.... then he got fired.

Sounds like Billick is the perfect guy to fix our offense.

yordad
01-05-2010, 07:44 AM
He is an offensive guru! If his time in Baltimore doesn't convince ya, just ask him!

But if this is accurate, we should probably look at Tice's track record. He would no doubt be OC.

mayotm
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Billick didn't have a QB nor WR's while in Baltimore. So what did he do? He ran the ball down everybody's throat. I don't know, but that seems like good coaching to me.

yordad
01-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Billick didn't have a QB nor WR's while in Baltimore. So what did he do? He ran the ball down everybody's throat. I don't know, but that seems like good coaching to me.That is a good point. And, a strategy that might work best at the Ralph. Boring to watch, but I would trade that for wins every single week.

Now all we need is a 24 year old Ray Lewis.

EDS
01-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Greg Williams got the HC gig in B-lo because he showed up with a list of potential assistant coaches. That turned out well.

A guy like Shanahan and Cowher can dictate terms in some instance because they are the top dogs. Everyone else, like Billick, needs to impress a little more to show what they can bring to the table.

mayotm
01-05-2010, 08:15 AM
That is a good point. And, a strategy that might work best at the Ralph. Boring to watch, but I would trade that for wins every single week.

Now all we need is a 24 year old Ray Lewis.Exactly. A lot of people are complaining that Baltimore didn't have an explosive offense while Billick was there. They didn't have the personel for that. Billick was smart enought to adjust and do what the team did best which was run the ball. Perfect for Buffalo. In addition, people are stating that Baltimore only won because of Marvin Lewis' defense. Very true, but assembling a strong coaching staff is part of a head coaches role. Bottom line, he won a lot of games in Baltimore and that's all I care about.

Dujek
01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Boring to watch

No way, good old smash mouth football is great fun. None of this namby pamby dink and dunk passing, just ram the ball right down the defense's throat.

tampabay25690
01-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Tice and Billick would be a good combo. Tice used to coach the offensive line so i assume he knows a thing or two.

Yea that would be a good combo.
Im fine with Billick if thats the choice and Cowher stays at CBS..

tampabay25690
01-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Billick didn't have a QB nor WR's while in Baltimore. So what did he do? He ran the ball down everybody's throat. I don't know, but that seems like good coaching to me.

he had GREAT defense too remember..

yordad
01-05-2010, 09:19 AM
No way, good old smash mouth football is great fun. None of this namby pamby dink and dunk passing, just ram the ball right down the defense's throat.OK, so you think a 4 yards a pop rushing offense is fun to watch? OK. It can be effective, but I wouldn't call it the funnest to watch, that is for sure. But what ev. The fun of a win trumps all.

bigbub2352
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
These are engcouraging news clips, i really think Billick is a good choice for a head coach it is becoming more and more obvious to me Cowher was a pipedream
that being said you can bet Billick can build a staff and get stand out cordinators in here
He built won of the best Defenses the NFL has ever seen and 3 guys became HC's under his tree Rex Ryan, Mike Nolan, Marvin Lewis cant deny that
i do not want a hot cordinator, Billick can bring in Haselett to run his D

Dujek
01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
OK, so you think a 4 yards a pop rushing offense is fun to watch? OK. It can be effective, but I wouldn't call it the funnest to watch, that is for sure. But what ev. The fun of a win trumps all.
Yes. Football is all about 3 or 4 yards and a cloud of dust. Everything else is just window dressing.

I don't care what other people thought, I liked watching Billick's Ravens when it was Jamal Lewis left, Jamal Lewis right and Jamal Lewis up the middle with only the odd pass by Dilfer to keep the defense honest. That's real football.

yordad
01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Yes. Football is all about 3 or 4 yards and a cloud of dust. Everything else is just window dressing.

I don't care what other people thought, I liked watching Billick's Ravens when it was Jamal Lewis left, Jamal Lewis right and Jamal Lewis up the middle with only the odd pass by Dilfer to keep the defense honest. That's real football.Real as in "real boring", I agree.

Dujek
01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Real as in "real boring", I agree.

Your ignorance is showing.

TrEd FTW
01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
I agree with Dujek. I love smash-mouth football.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM

I don't care what other people thought, I liked watching Billick's Ravens when it was Jamal Lewis left, Jamal Lewis right and Jamal Lewis up the middle with only the odd pass by Dilfer to keep the defense honest. That's real football.

Smashmouth football is great!

But it's not pretty enough for some people.

yordad
01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Your ignorance is showing.I am ignorant? You're post is a douche bag. It is a matter of opinion, there is no right.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Attack the post, not the poster. :)

yordad
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Attack the post, not the poster. :)Is this not a matter of opinion? He likes to watch Ravens football. I like to watch SB Rams style football. Does that somehow make one of us ignorant? Did I make up the phrase "Greatest Show on Turf"? One would think if that phrase exist, there are many that agree with me. Or does simply thinking that makes one ignorant actually show one is ignorant?

Seriously wtf. If you think there is a right answer Dukek, it isn't even a matter of football, you're just dumb.

Plus, I simple spelled his name wrong, I meant Dujek-bag.

Dujek
01-06-2010, 03:06 AM
If I remember right "The Greatest Show on Turf" was based on running hard to set up that explosive passing offense.

Clock management and ball retention wins football games. Going out and gunning the ball all over the field looks good, but in the end always falls short.