PDA

View Full Version : The longer the search goes...

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
the more it will be an "low tier" coach...an ass't coach or coordinator type - not a big name...jmo.

Thoughts?

And I wonder how much of a factor money will be, i.e., will the Bills go on the cheap?? Nix as an insider (no increase in pay) and a cheap coach - same old RW?

Thoughts?

Demon
01-04-2010, 09:02 PM
the more it will be an "low tier" coach...an ass't coach or coordinator type - not a big name...jmo.

Thoughts?

And I wonder how much money will come into play.

I don't know. Which job that is not open now, is expected to open up?

I still doubt the Bears fire Lovie Smith. Oakland will fire Cable, but i doubt anyone with experience goes there. Cleveland will probably fire Mangini but their coaching list will be guys close to Holmgren like Zorn, Mariucci or someone from his coaching tree.... and possibly Fox "quits" Carolina. But if that happens, Cowher will be a lock for them.

justasportsfan
01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
you can't rush things. Some of the possible candidates (HC,OC,DC,etc.)may still be coaching in the playoffs. the bills have to be delligent.

Ebenezer
I don't know. Which job that is not open now, is expected to open up?

I still doubt the Bears fire Lovie Smith. Oakland will fire Cable, but i doubt anyone with experience goes there. Cleveland will probably fire Mangini but their coaching list will be guys close to Holmgren like Zorn, Mariucci or someone from his coaching tree.... and possibly Fox "quits" Carolina. But if that happens, Cowher will be a lock for them.
just because there are no jobs doesn't mean these guys are going to flock to 1 Bills Dr. to apply...some may just not want to work with/for RW.

EricStratton
The season ended 30 hours ago, how is this a long search so far.

Ebenezer
01-04-2010, 09:07 PM
The season ended 30 hours ago, how is this a long search so far.
did I say it was a long search to this point??

Demon
01-04-2010, 09:08 PM
just because there are no jobs doesn't mean these guys are going to flock to 1 Bills Dr. to apply...some may just not want to work with/for RW.

That's true. The last thing anyone around here needs is to read a report that says Zimmer or Rivera have rejected us....

The Jokeman
01-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I'll be honest I like the idea of Ron Rivera in part because he's familiar with the Bears D which the Bills D is believed to be modeled after. In fact if not mistaken Jauron originally wanted Rivera over Fewell. Which tells me he might be a better mind for the D and I know people will point out we were dead last against the run etc. Yet I believe it wasn't so much lack of scheme but more with lack of making plays. So perhaps a few more playmakers on D can improve the D enough that will be better then average as think this year's D was average. Granted Rivera had better bring in a great O mind as was amazed by a stat they showed in the game last year that our O hasn't ranked higher then 25th over the last 6 or so seasons.

BILLSROCK1212
01-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I'll be honest I like the idea of Ron Rivera in part because he's familiar with the Bears D which the Bills D is believed to be modeled after. In fact if not mistaken Jauron originally wanted Rivera over Fewell. Which tells me he might be a better mind for the D and I know people will point out we were dead last against the run etc. Yet I believe it wasn't so much lack of scheme but more with lack of making plays. So perhaps a few more playmakers on D can improve the D enough that will be better then average as think this year's D was average. Granted Rivera had better bring in a great O mind as was amazed by a stat they showed in the game last year that our O hasn't ranked higher then 25th over the last 6 or so seasons.
we have to change our defense to a 3-4...enough with what we have

The Jokeman
01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
we have to change our defense to a 3-4...enough with what we have
Yeah because that will solve everything. Seriously I understand why people love the 3-4 because it was the cornerstone of our best years but those averages were below average. To think changing to a 3-4 will fix our problems on D is short sighted.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Until proven otherwise this is the same cheap owner and inco
petant frnot office.

Historian
01-05-2010, 05:10 AM
NO MORE EXPERIMENTS!

X-Era
01-05-2010, 05:22 AM

Thoughts?

And I wonder how much of a factor money will be, i.e., will the Bills go on the cheap?? Nix as an insider (no increase in pay) and a cheap coach - same old RW?

Thoughts?
So, I agree.

I think we know by end of the day today or tomorrow if Cowher is coming here or not. If its Cohwer, we announce it late Today or Wednesday.

I think we then know by end of Thursday or Friday if Billick is coming or not. If its Billick I think it would be announced by weeks end.

After that, we will likely take a bit of time and by mid next week or so announce a "low tier" head coach.

Shotty isn't clear cut, I don't see a timetable for him

X-Era
01-05-2010, 05:24 AM
BTW, at PFT, they have the following as keeping their jobs:

TB- Morris
Chi- Smith

And have already said that Fox is keeping his job.

don137
01-05-2010, 05:50 AM
I agree with Eb for the most part. I feel if they get their man in the next week it will be a proven coach like Billick or Cowher.

They may have their hands tied if they go after a Grimm or Rivera since they are still in the playoffs and could be a month before they officially hire them depending on how long their teams last in the post season. I truly hope not but they could go to the crappy proven coach route if they do not want to wait and go after a Haslett or Martz.

Either way their window to hire a top proven coach realistically is within 7-10 days after the season ends. After that they will be reaching on a coordinator or a retread coach. I much rather have them take a chance on a Grimm or Rivera than a retread like Martz or Haslett. One truly does not know who is or is not on the Bills list.

ChristopherWalken
01-05-2010, 07:17 AM
I could agree with this as the Bills may have their sites set on a coordinator currently in preparation for the post season (example: Rivera).