PDA

View Full Version : It is all up to Ralph Wilson regarding Cowher to Buffalo

BillsWin
01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Sifting through the reports, the rumors and speculation, twitter 'tweets' and blogs around the web it is apparent that no one knows what the hell they are talking about.

But also reading into all the rumors, one thing is certain. Cowher WANTS to coach. He is just waiting for something.

Whether that is a better job than Buffalo, or an offer in his ballpark.

According to Jason LaCanfora of nfl.com, Tampa was willing to offer Cowher a contract in the $5-6 million a year range, but were unwilling to pay more so they retained Raheem Morris.

So, if you think about it the ball is now in Buffalo's court.

Coach Sal posted a few days ago that Cowher was interested in Buffalo.

ESPN broke the news that the two sides had a "stealth" meeting.

I spoke with a man close to Cowher who was involved with the Pittsburgh media for years who said,

"Speaking with some people involved, the interest is real, the situation is real, the talk is real, if the money is real, Bill Cowher will be the next head coach in Buffalo."

Pat asked the question, Do you think Cowher is waiting to see what Shanahan gets?

I think that is an extreme possibility.

I believe if Ralph forks over 5 years $55 million, Cowher will be the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

ddaryl
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I beleive this... It is coming down to crossing those i's and dotting those t's

Ed
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
It was also reported that the Bills like their chances with Cowher, so if that's true I can't imagine that they are that far off on money.

jaycorp51
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't know if Ralph will pony up $11m per year.

T-Long
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Hes gotta realize sooner than later that you cant take it with you when you're gone

bigbub2352
01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
He got away all these years not paying for coaching, with Grimm Reaper starring at u, u mite want to change ur ways RW, watch the movie a Christmas Carol...

seriously make it happen dont go on the cheap yet again and get a first year head coach who gives jobs to all his friends not proven Assistants in this league

HAMMER
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
11 mm a year is ridiculous, Cowher is not worth that kind of money.

Cleve
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't know if Ralph will pony up $11m per year.

6 months ago, I would have completely agreed with you. But.... I'm actually starting to think Ralph Wilson is sincere in his stated desire to give Buffalo fans a team worthy of their high level of support and love.

It's weird, but as far as I can tell the date of Ralph's change of mind was just shortly after Bud Adams' single finger salute. Jauron got canned, and now the whole coaching staff was sent packing. It might not be a question of money - Cowher may simply not want to coach - Bill certainly is plenty wealthy already.

DBrown77
01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
arent we on the hook for 6 million to Jauron this year too?

jaycorp51
01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I hope he decides to part with some of his money and put it to good use. We need the coaches and some smart personnel moves to be made within the next 2-3 years to put this team back on track, and it's going to take a substantial investment from Ralph to make that happen.

PromoTheRobot
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
It may be about Ralph but not about money. I'm convinced the Bills are making a good offer. Why else would Cowher still be talking to them? There are two issues with Ralph to consider: 1) Meddling 2) What happens to the Bills after he passes. I'm sure that is more of what is being negotiated than how much money he's getting. He's getting his money.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
arent we on the hook for 6 million to Jauron this year too?
$6 mil over two years actually. But it could go down if Jauron gets a new job. We are on the hook for any assistant coaches we let go, though. But I wouldn't sweat it.

PTR

TheBrownBear
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
He isn't worth that type of money. Get a young guy that will come cheap and we can keep our cheap tickets and 7 games of mediocre football.

Michael82
01-05-2010, 01:40 PM
I just hope that Ralph doesn't cheap out and gives the man what he wants. :pray:

BillsWin
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Also, didn't Ralph make close to $80 million for the Toronto deal?

Historian
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Its not up to Ralph, its up to Ralphs accountant, Jeff Littman.

cpearl
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Let's assume that we do get Cowher and we pay him $10 mil a year.

Just like the TO signing was a good business decision, this could be better. Ralph would recoup that money in season tickets, merchandise and marketing/advertisements alone. This is why Russ Brandon is so valuable to the team - he gets all of this.

And if Cowher gets us a home playoff game, add a cou[le more mil per year to the pot.

If he comes here and is successful, the investment pays for itself not only in profits but in franchise value as well.

BillsWin
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Let's assume that we do get Cowher and we pay him $10 mil a year.

Just like the TO signing was a good business decision, this could be better. Ralph would recoup that money in season tickets, merchandise and marketing/advertisements alone. This is why Russ Brandon is so valuable to the team - he gets all of this.

And if Cowher gets us a home playoff game, add a cou[le more mil per year to the pot.

If he comes here and is successful, the investment pays for itself not only in profits but in franchise value as well.

And Ralph leaves this world on a positive note. With a TRUE Hall of Fame legacy.

ddaryl
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
5 years 10 million = $18 per ticket

not including consessions, parking, home playoff games, and merchandising

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
It is not all about money.

jimbohastle51
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
i just get the sense that cowher wants an astronomical number to come to buffalo to coach and i believe it is a higher number than say the panthers would have to pay and i just would be really surprised if we got him. i know if we do not get billick, cowher, or someone with winning coaching expierience i will definitely not go home for a game or 2 next season. i am not going to say i am done with the bills but i will say that i am done making sunday afternoon in the fall my top priority. i will always be a bills fan but i have better things to do on sunday afternoons than watch a barley competitive team play. the bills owe it to the fans to suck it up and pay an A list coach. i understand ralphs whole "just cause a guy has been in the news for a couple years doesnt mean hes the right guy" bit, but T.O. was an obvious marketing scam to anyone with a brain. we had an unproven QB, and a horrible offensive line and they gave the guy a 1 year deal. at least if they just paid whatever cowher wanted i would believe after 10 years that the bills actually wanted to win. and no russ grimm, leslie frazier, brian shott will not show me that, maybe 1 or 2 coaches ago before we had already hired 4 "up and coming coordinators" but right now if we do not hire a proven coach i am not wasting my personal cash on that team.

BILLSROCK1212
01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
good call on the Shanahan situation, I think it would be safe to be that you are right

HHURRICANE
01-06-2010, 11:19 AM
When Ralph realizes that the next coach will need 10 million a year I think he'll hire Brian Shottenheimer.

We are getting setup for the "look at all the changes" PR machine.

A new GM, new coach, completely new staff, and a very exciting draft, blah, blah, blah.

If this team goes the cheap coordinator route than I'm done. Nix will look like a nightmare hire with a first time head coach.

I would rather have Mikey, Bigbub, and Op running the team. I'm dead serious.

The Nix hire only gets redeemed with a real HC.