PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten's best option for expansion is...

psubills62
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
...Texas, according to this article.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2009/12/27/the-big-ten-expansion-index-a-different-shade-of-orange/

I think he makes a lot of good points, though we can only guess on the level of mutual interest.

k-oneputt
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Texas ???? Can't see that happening, I'm sure the the Big-10 whould love it though.

N. Dame would the best fit but that's not happening.

Pitt or Rutgers would work.

DraftBoy
01-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Best option is Rutgers.

Wolffman
01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Texas makes no sense. Will never happen.

I'd like Pitt to move but it's probably not in the big tens best interest.

Rutgers is by far the most logical.

Forward_Lateral
01-05-2010, 03:17 PM
The most logical is Notre Dame. They'll never do it, but it's the college that makes the most sense.

psubills62
01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Texas ???? Can't see that happening, I'm sure the the Big-10 whould love it though.

N. Dame would the best fit but that's not happening.

Pitt or Rutgers would work.

Yeah, would be great for the Big Ten. But I'm not sure I agree with the article on Texas' level of mutual interest. Then again, he's obviously thought about it a lot more than I have.

I have a hard time believing that anyone who said "Rutgers is the best option" actually read the article. It's pretty obvious why they aren't based on the grades the author hands out.

Wolffman is correct on Pittsburgh: I'm sure a lot of people would love to see them enter the Big Ten. However, it doesn't bring any new markets to the BTN, as PSU already has Pennsylvania covered.

psubills62
01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
The most logical is Notre Dame. They'll never do it, but it's the college that makes the most sense.

Strangely enough, at this point it's actually logical for both sides. I seriously doubt that Notre Dame would give up even the principle of independence at this point. Seems to be ingrained in their minds.

Wolffman
01-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Yeah, would be great for the Big Ten. But I'm not sure I agree with the article on Texas' level of mutual interest. Then again, he's obviously thought about it a lot more than I have.

I have a hard time believing that anyone who said "Rutgers is the best option" actually read the article. It's pretty obvious why they aren't based on the grades the author hands out.

Wolffman is correct on Pittsburgh: I'm sure a lot of people would love to see them enter the Big Ten. However, it doesn't bring any new markets to the BTN, as PSU already has Pennsylvania covered.

agreed. But it would help in terms of basketball... I've never seen someone watch a psu bball game.

BidsJr
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Notre Dame isn't in the same academic category as the Big Ten. They are from an undergrad standpoint, but certainly not in graduate programs. They would have to fix that before being considered by the Big Ten.

My money on Missouri. Opens up the markets of St Louis and KC to the Big ten and that is a big deal. Rutgers is ignored by the NYC market, so it really doesn't help out the Big Ten at all. Texas will never leave the Big 12 and Pitt is just like adding another Penn St. Same market, not much incentive.

psubills62
01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
agreed. But it would help in terms of basketball... I've never seen someone watch a psu bball game.

Very true. Though as the author points out, basketball is much less of a concern than football since CFB brings in SO much more $.

I'd love to see the PSU/Pitt rivalry renewed, but right now it seems to be more of a pipe dream.

psubills62
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Notre Dame isn't in the same academic category as the Big Ten. They are from an undergrad standpoint, but certainly not in graduate programs. They would have to fix that before being considered by the Big Ten.

My money on Missouri. Opens up the markets of St Louis and KC to the Big ten and that is a big deal. Rutgers is ignored by the NYC market, so it really doesn't help out the Big Ten at all. Texas will never leave the Big 12 and Pitt is just like adding another Penn St. Same market, not much incentive.

Ah, here's where the author's logic comes into play. If Missouri is willing to leave the Big 12, why wouldn't Texas? Why would Texas leave the financial fate of the Big 12 to Missouri? If any one of those teams leave, the Big 12 could fall apart pretty easily. Plus, Texas would make 83% more money in the Big Ten.

Finally, from the Big 10's viewpoint, why would the Big Ten offer Missouri a spot if they think they could possibly land Texas? Texas would be a huge market for the Big Ten, even compared to St Louis/KC.

Wolffman
01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
I'd love to see the PSU/Pitt rivalry renewed, but right now it seems to be more of a pipe dream.

Blame Joepa for that...

psubills62
01-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Blame Joepa for that...

Haha from what I hear, he's only doing it in retaliation for previous grievances :peace:

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Strangely enough, at this point it's actually logical for both sides. I seriously doubt that Notre Dame would give up even the principle of independence at this point. Seems to be ingrained in their minds.

Notre Dame won't give up their indep status because of the NBC contract and all the BCS exceptions we are granted. Its really that simple and that would only change if those things went away which they aren't.

psubills62
01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Notre Dame won't give up their indep status because of the NBC contract and all the BCS exceptions we are granted. Its really that simple and that would only change if those things went away which they aren't.

From the article:

What the average sports fan doesn’t realize is that Notre Dame’s NBC contract, which is what the uninformed pundits point to as the major reason why the Irish wouldn’t join the conference, pales in comparison to what every single Big Ten and SEC school makes from their respective conference TV contracts. Notre Dame reportedly makes around $9 million per year from NBC (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-06-19-2441020462_x.htm), which was a level that made it the top TV revenue school back in 1999. In contrast, ESPN’s Outside the Lines reported last week that the Big Ten is currently making $242 million per year in TV revenue which is split equally among the 11 schools, meaning that everyone from Michigan to Northwestern is taking in $22 million per year. Think about that for a second: the vaunted Notre Dame was the #1 TV revenue maker in the entire country up until just a few years ago, yet it’s now only #3 in its own home state behind Purdue and Indiana (and less than half as much of each, at that).

I have a hard time believing ND is satisfied with the NBC contract when it could be making 13 million more in the B10. My guess is also that the disparity in TV revenue would make up for the difference in BCS/bowl money that ND gets as an independent.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
From the article:

I have a hard time believing ND is satisfied with the NBC contract when it could be making 13 million more in the B10. My guess is also that the disparity in TV revenue would make up for the difference in BCS/bowl money that ND gets as an independent.

What the article fails to point out is that the money is not the reason Notre Dame loves the contract. Hell the contract could be Pro Bono and it really wouldnt matter. Notre Dame has more money then they can spend, its not about the money.

How many homes is the BTN in? 17-20 Million? NBC is on every TV in America, basic cable or deluxe package. No team gets the exposure Notre Dame does. Even when we suck we can still be the lead on Sportscenter. Big Ten can't offer that, its not about money, it never was.

psubills62
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
What the article fails to point out is that the money is not the reason Notre Dame loves the contract. Hell the contract could be Pro Bono and it really wouldnt matter. Notre Dame has more money then they can spend, its not about the money.

How many homes is the BTN in? 17-20 Million? NBC is on every TV in America, basic cable or deluxe package. No team gets the exposure Notre Dame does. Even when we suck we can still be the lead on Sportscenter. Big Ten can't offer that, its not about money, it never was.

Not about the money? I have a hard time believing that, especially while they're eating Weis' contract. I'm sure the exposure is important, but it's doubtful that it's so important that money isn't a factor in comparison.

The Big Ten also gets plenty of games on ABC, particularly the key matchups. I'm sure Notre Dame would be on ABC/ESPN plenty of times during the year.

Either way, I doubt ND gets an invite.

Forward_Lateral
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I was just going to post what Draftboy did. Notre Dame not joining the Big 10 has nothing to do with academics, and everything to do with money.

psubills62
01-06-2010, 01:55 PM

I was just going to post what Draftboy did. Notre Dame not joining the Big 10 has nothing to do with academics, and everything to do with money.
:scratch: I think maybe you and DB need to corroborate your stories better, then? :idunno:

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Not about the money? I have a hard time believing that, especially while they're eating Weis' contract. I'm sure the exposure is important, but it's doubtful that it's so important that money isn't a factor in comparison.

The Big Ten also gets plenty of games on ABC, particularly the key matchups. I'm sure Notre Dame would be on ABC/ESPN plenty of times during the year.

Either way, I doubt ND gets an invite.

Notre Dame has an endowment fun that is estimated to be over 1.0 Billion dollars. Eating a few million on a contract is nothing more than paying an annoying bill for Notre Dame.