PDA

View Full Version : It is not just about money!!

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I hate myself for starting the 1,853 Cowher thread in the last two days, but so many people are acting like his decision is based solely on money, when that is clearly not the case.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
There are factors besides money in play here, including, but not limited too:
1. Status of the franchise. Not just stable ownership either, but how close to being a contender is the team. Does anybody really think the Bills are one o two years away?

2. Desires of his family. Do his daughters want to move to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>? Does his wife? Does he?

3. Availability/potential availability of other jobs. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Carolina</st1:place></st1:City> this year or next? <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Dallas</st1:City></st1:place>?

4. People/friends who work for other franchise. Does his buddy work for another team? Is he friends with Schonert?

5. Does he want to work for a glamour team like <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Dallas</st1:City></st1:place>?

Granted, he is not going to take $4 million per. But offering $15 million per might not work anymore than $7 or $10 million per.
Money is not the only factor in play here.<o:p></o:p>
Feel free to add your own reasons too. I am sure I have missed some!

Mudflap1
01-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Money is not the only reason. But if the money isn't there, there is no deal. So it starts with money, and it ends with money. The rest of what you added is correct.

Demon
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Money is not an issue. I never thought it ever was. But, Cowher does have some serious questions to consider before making the jump. I do think finally the Bills realized they have hit rock bottom and only way to fix it, is get proven people here to fix it, however, i think we are starting to slowly see how bad we are and that nobody will even want to come.

Night Train
01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Everything is about $$ & Sex.

Brandon failed to deliver the latter.

patmoran2006
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
You forgot a very important one...

How much of a challenge is he willing to take on?

This is has been a horribly run franchise and it needs A LOT of help, no coach is going to turn that around overnight.

Reviving the Bills will be a big challenge

MidnightVoice
01-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Could he walk his dog in Buffalo in the winter?

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
One this I would add, does his family want to come to Buffalo?

mchurchfie
01-05-2010, 04:07 PM
and who has the best chickenwings, Buffalo or Carolina?

Mr. Pink
Or the fact he has no desire to leave the booth like Jimmy Johnson.

cocamide
I'm rooting for the Cowboys this week. I think if they lose, Wade is gone and Cowher would probably love to take that job.

Prov401
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
All of his daughters are grown up. They don't have to follow daddy around if they don't want to.

I don't think he cares about a glamour team. Pittsburgh is a blue collared city, so is Kansas City, and Cleveland. Those are the teams he has coached with. He hasn't coached on any of the coasts, or big time teams. I don't think he'd care to start now.

Is it all about the money? No it isn't. Because we are probably going to offer him one of the richest contracts in history of the NFL. I think a big factor is how close we are to being a contender. We have no proven QB, and a city who is the most anxious out of any city in the NFL to get into the playoffs. There is going to be a ton of pressure that comes with this job. Cowher knows he will have his work cut out for him here in Buffalo, and here in the AFC East. He knows somewhere else in Tampa, or Carolina, that he will be given the opportunity to preach 'patience', and he won't really be under a microscope. Patience isn't in Buffalo fan's vocabulary anymore.

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
One this I would add, does his family want to come to Buffalo?

That was #2!

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Or the fact he has no desire to leave the booth like Jimmy Johnson.

Fact? Source please?

The King
01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Does he need to Operate on this Cash to Cap Crap!?

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Fact? Source please?

If you've watched the show, he's made mention several times of wanting to stay. His cohorts Marino, Sharpe state he's gonna be back with them the next season and he doesn't contradict them.

He has an easy job that isn't time demanding and probably pays fairly well. He has time to spend with his family, to go golfing, fishing or whatever he wants to do.

Now you have to factor that against basically a 24/7/365 job of taking on an inept franchise?

If you're Bill Cowher what do you pick?

No it hasn't implicitly been stated he's staying in the studio but I can see why he'd want to in the above scenario.

Philagape
01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
You really believe what's said in on-air fluff banter? Really?

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
You really believe what's said in on-air fluff banter? Really?

It was true about Gruden.

You really believe what's said on message boards and by no name reporters? Really?

Philagape
01-05-2010, 04:19 PM

You really believe what's said on message boards and by no name reporters? Really?

What am I believing? Please share.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
What am I believing? Please share.

You're obviously going contrary to my opinion of the situation...which means you take the opposite stance that he's a real possibility because a "junior journalist" and some guy in gov't said he could be?

I will full out guarantee that Bill Cowher is still in the studio come next fall.

Historian
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM

This is has been a horribly run franchise and it needs A LOT of help, no coach is going to turn that around overnight.

I disagree.

This team has loads of talent at the skill positions, that has been unmercifully mismanaged by Jauron, Mularkey and the idiot before him.

A good coach can turn it around by 2011.

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
If you've watched the show, he's made mention several times of wanting to stay. His cohorts Marino, Sharpe state he's gonna be back with them the next season and he doesn't contradict them.

Marino said he was going to stay, Sharpe said "PROBABLY" with a sarcastic tone - I saw it, too as meaningless as it was.

He has an easy job that isn't time demanding and probably pays fairly well. He has time to spend with his family, to go golfing, fishing or whatever he wants to do.

Now you have to factor that against basically a 24/7/365 job of taking on an inept franchise?

If you're Bill Cowher what do you pick?

You might pick the easy gig but Cowher's competitive drive to win and $10 million/year say otherwise.

Philagape
01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
You're obviously going contrary to my opinion of the situation...which means you take the opposite stance that he's a real possibility because a "junior journalist" and some guy in gov't said he could be?

I will full out guarantee that Bill Cowher is still in the studio come next fall.

My post was contrary to the idea that what talking heads banter about on the air can be cited as a response to a request for a source. I didn't even comment about what they said.

I think Cowher is a moderate possibility, I have for some time, and I have given no weight to the frenzy that started with the East Aurora guy. I have no idea where he is today.
But I'll stop talking now since you already know what I'm thinking better than I do.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
There's also a possibility pigs fly.

Or dinosaurs will once again roam the Earth.

Or the economy is in good shape.

All three are as likely as Cowher getting back into coaching especially here of all places.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
give Cowher 13 Million a year if thats what it takes... anymore than that is insane

Philagape
01-05-2010, 04:34 PM
There's also a possibility pigs fly.

Or dinosaurs will once again roam the Earth.

Or the economy is in good shape.

All three are as likely as Cowher getting back into coaching especially here of all places.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if your guess is as good as your mind-reading skills, Cowher's as good as here.

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

What's a "name" have to do with accuracy?

The only people who have correctly broken news so far have been Sal and that "no name" in East Aurora. Your heroes at ESPN have been caught holding their dicks and spouting off hard hitting journalistic gems such as "I don't think it's gonna happen".

Philagape
01-05-2010, 04:35 PM

The only people who have correctly broken news so far have been Sal and that "no name" East Aurora. Your heroes at ESPN have been caught holding their dicks and spouting off lazy ass opinions.

The East Aurora guy has not been proven correct. He's still the only original source on that.

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
The East Aurora guy has not been proven correct. He's still the only original source on that.

He scooped EVERYONE on the mass firings by 6 hours. Right now he's the only person with credibility on the Cowher issue (as horribly sad as that is).

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but if your guess is as good as your mind-reading skills, Cowher's as good as here.

Well you disagreed with me for some reason and generally people who disagree do so because they have a different opinion.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:38 PM

The only people who have correctly broken news so far have been Sal and that "no name" in East Aurora. Your heroes at ESPN have been caught holding their dicks and spouting off hard hitting journalistic gems such as "I don't think it's gonna happen".

I could go out tomorrow make up a blog or whatever that I saw Cowher in town at the airport and it would get legs.

Give me a break.

patmoran2006
01-05-2010, 04:41 PM
You're right, in fact he's proven to be incorrect because Cowher was most definitely not in Buffalo today.

Although who knows what that really means. For all we know, Brandon could've went to his doorstep 20 minutes ago. .Nobody knows for sure.

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I could go out tomorrow make up a blog or whatever that I saw Cowher in town at the airport and it would get legs.

Give me a break.

He posted at 6:30 yesterday morning that the Bills were going to fire the coaching staff en masse and that Cowher was due in for an interview sometime on Tuesday.

6 hours later and he gets the scoop on EVERYONE.

He's been proven right. That's not an opinion or rumor, it's an indisputable fact: He had the news before any of the sorry excuses for journalists at ESPN were even awake.

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:43 PM
You're right, in fact he's proven to be incorrect because Cowher was most definitely not in Buffalo today.

Although who knows what that really means. For all we know, Brandon could've went to his doorstep 20 minutes ago. .Nobody knows for sure.

You can confirm that he was not in Buffalo? Please share.

patmoran2006
01-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Give me a break.
Not "everyone with a blog" makes it onto the pages of Pro Football Talk, the largest football site there is that got over 2.4 million hits YESTERDAY alone.

As far as this guy's report, I have no idea.. You know me and know I cover a lot of high school and college games, and I've never seen or heard of this guy in my life until today.

His report made it to PFT becuase he allegedly had the article time stamped on Monday, five hours before the coach's all got fired.

I dont know enough about computers to know if you can manipulate a time stamp once an article is up.

I know I did call this Joe Logan guy foir comment and left him a voice mail, and he never returned the call nor has been on twitter or anywhere to be found today

Philagape
01-05-2010, 04:44 PM
He scooped EVERYONE on the mass firings by 6 hours. Right now he's the only person with credibility on the Cowher issue (as horribly sad as that is).

That's the firings.

Cowher's a different story.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:44 PM
He posted at 6:30 yesterday morning that the Bills were going to fire the coaching staff en masse and that Cowher was due in for an interview sometime on Tuesday.

6 hours later and he gets the scoop on EVERYONE.

He's been proven right. That's not an opinion or rumor, it's an indisputable fact: He had the news before any of the sorry excuses for journalists at ESPN were even awake.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the Bills staff were going to be fired.

People on here said that months ago.

I guess they got the scoop!

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
That's the firings.

Cowher's a different story.

Well yeah - but you're missing the point: He's been the only one to break an accurate story in the past 48 hours. Therefore, IMO, he has the most credibility of anyone regarding whether or not Cowher was in Buffalo and/or he met with the Bills.

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
It doesn't take a genius to figure out the Bills staff were going to be fired.

People on here said that months ago.

I guess they got the scoop!

So you woke up on Monday morning and knew that the entirety of the Bills staff would be let go later that morning.

Are you sleeping with Buddy Nix or something?

patmoran2006
01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
You can confirm that he was not in Buffalo? Please share.

I cant confirm that the Bills havent met with him today, and I cant confirm the Bills wont meet with him tonight.

But I can confirm he's not in Buffalo, at least he wasnt today. Unless they went to Denny's.

Slim
01-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I cant confirm that the Bills havent met with him today, and I cant confirm the Bills wont meet with him tonight.

But I can confirm he's not in Buffalo, at least he wasnt today. Unless they went to Denny's.

Is this an easter egg?

Mr. Pink
So you woke up on Monday morning and knew that the entirety of the Bills staff would be let go later that morning.

Are you sleeping with Buddy Nix or something?

Anyone with half a brain knew the day Jauron was fired that right after the season was over the rest of the staff would follow suit.

It's what happens.

I could have predicted Monday following the season too 3 months ago, would that make me a credible genius?

Am I credible genius for stating the obvious when Cowher is in the TV studio in September?

SABuffalo786
I know I'm probably pushing my luck here but: Can you point in the general direction of your source?

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Here's my source...COMMON SENSE.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 04:52 PM
and REALISM

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Anyone with half a brain knew the day Jauron was fired that right after the season was over the rest of the staff would follow suit.

It's what happens.

I could have predicted Monday following the season too 3 months ago, would that make me a credible genius?

Am I credible genius for stating the obvious when Cowher is in the TV studio in September?

So you're denying that this guy didn't get a scoop - he just got lucky and posted the article hours before the firings happened and surprised everyone.

Really.

patmoran2006
I know I'm probably pushing my luck here but: Can you point in the general direction of your source?

I dont have any specific Cowher sources, but I can say that if Cowher was at OBD I would be able to find out.

I wouldnt be able to find out beforehand cause I dont have that stroke, but I'd know once he was there.

Mr. Pink
So you're denying that this guy didn't get a scoop - he just got lucky and posted the article hours before the firings happened and surprised everyone.

Really.

Even the sun shines on a dogs ass somedays.

SABuffalo786
Part of me wants Cowher to come here now just so Brownie fan over here looks like an idiot.

Historian
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Still...the one thing about these guys you cannot measure, is the fire in the belly.

SABuffalo786
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I dont have any specific Cowher sources, but I can say that if Cowher was at OBD I would be able to find out.

I wouldnt be able to find out beforehand cause I dont have that stroke, but I'd know once he was there.

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing.

Philagape
01-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Well yeah - but you're missing the point: He's been the only one to break an accurate story in the past 48 hours. Therefore, IMO, he has the most credibility of anyone regarding whether or not Cowher was in Buffalo and/or he met with the Bills.

Point taken, but each story has to be weighed on its own merits. We've seen the same blog/post/whatever be right and wrong at the same time about different things before.

BlackMetalNinja
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
and who has the best chickenwings, Buffalo or Carolina?There is nothing resembling a decent wing in this area, so that's a no brainer.

patmoran2006
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
From PFT

Cowher reportedly was targeting the Bucs, Bears, Panthers, and Texans. The Bills are still a possibility, if owner Ralph Wilson is willing to break the bank.

Its ALWAYS about the money.

Nighthawk
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM
From PFT

It seems that it will come down to whether or not Ralphy stops being cheap...if there was ever an opportunity to show your fans that you're not cheap, this is it!

patmoran2006
01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Ralph should throw out a monster offer out there and make sure it gets leaked by the ultra horrible Bills PR department.

Then, if Cowher rejects nobody can accuse Wilson of not putting his best foot forward.

Not publicly acknowledging you even pursued him is crap to fans.

(but again, Its Tuesday and as much as we want, the Bills dont have to be rushing right now)

YardRat
01-05-2010, 05:13 PM
From PFT

So you are 100% positive that the only reason Cowher doesn't land in Buffalo is because Ralph doesn't put enough money on the table?

BTW...I agree with Hist (and Nix)...we're closer to the playoffs than some would like to think.

Nighthawk
01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
From everything being reported, it sure as hell sounds like it will come down to money. Like Sal's report about Cowher actually speaking with the Bills...when there is smoke, there is fire.

HHURRICANE
01-05-2010, 05:39 PM

You all come around to my side of the fence eventually.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Part of me wants Cowher to come here now just so Brownie fan over here looks like an idiot.

So does that mean when I'm right, you look like the idiot?