PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching this Baluga kid from Iowa?

soapman
01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
This kid is good. Big, mauling tackle. Check him out now on the Orange bowl.

soapman
01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Projected mid to late 1st round.

PromoTheRobot
01-05-2010, 10:08 PM
How about #94 Adrian Clayborn?

PTR

soapman
01-05-2010, 10:18 PM
How about #94 Adrian Clayborn?

PTR

Which team?

soapman
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Nevermind, great play by him there!

BidsJr
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Clayborn is a beast, but he announced this week he is coming back.

psubills62
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Clayborn is a beast, but he announced this week he is coming back.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I heard that. He's been tearing OL's apart all season.

BidsJr
01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed when I heard that. He's been tearing OL's apart all season.

I wasn't.

GO HAWKS!

Mahdi
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
This kid is good. Big, mauling tackle. Check him out now on the Orange bowl.
I think he can be a Jake Long type player minus the #1 overall pick status. Very tough run blocker who can pass protect.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-05-2010, 11:03 PM
wouldnt mind trading back into the 1st round after getting Bradford to snag this guy

soapman
01-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Yeah this guy looks like the real deal. He stood up the end on every pass play.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 07:44 AM
All-Big Ten 1st Team this year and absolutely manhandeled Derrick Morgan when matched up with him.

He's a top 15 pick when he comes out, and is the #2 OT behind Okung.

Mahdi
01-06-2010, 07:48 AM
All-Big Ten 1st Team this year and absolutely manhandeled Derrick Morgan when matched up with him.

He's a top 15 pick when he comes out, and is the #2 OT behind Okung.
I think he got the best of Morgan on a couple of plays and Morgan also got him a couple of times. He pushed Bulaga 5 yards all the way into the QB on one play.

Morgan is a beast. Guy has a sick bull rush and can counter it with a speed move.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I think he got the best of Morgan on a couple of plays and Morgan also got him a couple of times. He pushed Bulaga 5 yards all the way into the QB on one play.

Morgan is a beast. Guy has a sick bull rush and can counter it with a speed move.

On that play you mention Morgan pushed him back but he was unable to break free of Bulaga, and actually pressure Stanzi.

Morgan got leverage a few times but never actually pressure Stanzi when he was up against Bulaga. Bulaga dominated Morgan in every aspect, because even when he was losing ground, he never got beat. Whether that was in pass protection or run blocking. Morgan's one big pressure where he missed Stanzi came when Morgan lined up on the opposite side of Bulaga.

Mahdi
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
On that play you mention Morgan pushed him back but he was unable to break free of Bulaga, and actually pressure Stanzi.

Morgan got leverage a few times but never actually pressure Stanzi when he was up against Bulaga. Bulaga dominated Morgan in every aspect, because even when he was losing ground, he never got beat. Whether that was in pass protection or run blocking. Morgan's one big pressure where he missed Stanzi came when Morgan lined up on the opposite side of Bulaga.
He didn't have to beat him. He collapsed the pocket and Stanzi had to bail. That is something we have not had on this team for a while.

Don't get me wrong, Bulaga played great, I'm just saying Morgan was able to bust up a couple of plays with his bull rush.

Pinkerton Security
01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I figured I'd just throw this into this thread instead of starting another bc it may have already been discussed, but how about Hughes, the DE from TCU?? Watching the Fiesta bowl, I didnt watch all of it, but saw one play where he blew past a RT and chased down Moore like he was standing still. I have seen Greg Hardy from Ole Miss play a few times and do not like him at all, he gets all sorts of publicity but in the games I've watched havent seen him make any plays at all. I hadnt heard much about Hughes but he seems like a real good player.

psubills62
01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
I figured I'd just throw this into this thread instead of starting another bc it may have already been discussed, but how about Hughes, the DE from TCU?? Watching the Fiesta bowl, I didnt watch all of it, but saw one play where he blew past a RT and chased down Moore like he was standing still. I have seen Greg Hardy from Ole Miss play a few times and do not like him at all, he gets all sorts of publicity but in the games I've watched havent seen him make any plays at all. I hadnt heard much about Hughes but he seems like a real good player.

Hughes is a very good player, but I believe he projects to the NFL as a 3-4 OLB more than a 4-3 DE.

Hardy looks to have had a down year, though it also appears as though he was injured and didn't play all the games.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/player/433/1002219/index.html

6.5 TFL, 5 sacks.

Mahdi
01-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Hughes has a lightning first step. I like his size and he could be a guy that creeps into the Top 10.

He has 26 sacks over the last two seasons so definitely not a one-year wonder and if we move to a 3-4 he is an ideal 3-4 OLB.

Keep an eye on Brandon Graham too, he has Lamar Woodley written all over him.

Both Hughes and Graham can play 4-3 DE also.

BidsJr
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
The plays that Bulaga got pushed back he was still able to anchor and recover. That is an extremely difficult thing to do when you are being pushed backward.

You have to remember that Bulaga missed a bunch of time this season with a thyroid problem and it took him most of the season to get back into form.

As good as he looked last night he has a bunch more upside.

psubills62
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Hughes has a lightning first step. I like his size and he could be a guy that creeps into the Top 10.

He has 26 sacks over the last two seasons so definitely not a one-year wonder and if we move to a 3-4 he is an ideal 3-4 OLB.

Keep an eye on Brandon Graham too, he has Lamar Woodley written all over him.

Both Hughes and Woodley can play 4-3 DE also.

I'm a huge fan of Graham. The guy is so solid in run defense and rushing the passer. If we switch to a 3-4, I'd love to get him as an OLB.

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I think he can be a Jake Long type player minus the #1 overall pick status. Very tough run blocker who can pass protect.

sounds like our man... how does he compare with the other top LT's ... I'm just learning the who's who of 1st rd pick options

the combine can't get her soon enough for me...

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
He didn't have to beat him. He collapsed the pocket and Stanzi had to bail. That is something we have not had on this team for a while.

Don't get me wrong, Bulaga played great, I'm just saying Morgan was able to bust up a couple of plays with his bull rush.

Stanzi stepped up and still completed the pass on that play. The pocket did collapse but if Morgan had been able to disengage Bulaga, its an easy sack. He was unable to which is credit to Bulaga.

Morgan made some plays, but he was mostly held in check and that is a big statement for Bulaga who needed a really good game v. Morgan and he definitely won the battle.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:33 AM
sounds like our man... how does he compare with the other top LT's ... I'm just learning the who's who of 1st rd pick options

#2 overall OT prospect, he's a technician. Classic Iowa OL, big, strong, not as athletic and OKung or Campbell.

SABURZFAN
01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
i wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bills uni.

BidsJr
01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Scary thing is, Bulaga prolly wasn't even the best OL on the team this year. That would go to RS Freshman Riley Reiff. That guy is a top 10 pick in the next 2 years.

psubills62
01-06-2010, 10:37 AM
#2 overall OT prospect, he's a technician. Classic Iowa OL, big, strong, not as athletic and OKung or Campbell.

What's his potential at LT? Would he be worth the #9 pick?

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 10:40 AM

SO in your eyes....

1.) Okung
2.) Baluga
3.) Campbell

:jig:

BidsJr
01-06-2010, 10:40 AM

I think he needs another year in school. He is a true Junior this year and missed quite a bit of time.

He wasn't as dominant as Robert Gallery when he did play, and we know how that pick turned out for the Raiders.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:45 AM

He's a potential franchise LT. His stock has taken a hit because he was hurt this year. If he comes out he's a top 15 picks and could be a solid pick at 9.

He's a 50/50 for leaving early, he could help his stock by going back but there is some risk with the rookie cap and such.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
SO in your eyes....

1.) Okung
2.) Baluga
3.) Campbell

:jig:

Yes;

1. Okung
2. Bulaga
3. Campbell
4. Davis
5. Brown
6. Capers
7. Wiliams

Mahdi
01-06-2010, 10:49 AM
The plays that Bulaga got pushed back he was still able to anchor and recover. That is an extremely difficult thing to do when you are being pushed backward.

You have to remember that Bulaga missed a bunch of time this season with a thyroid problem and it took him most of the season to get back into form.

As good as he looked last night he has a bunch more upside.
I agree. My pointing out of the plays that Morgan pushed back Bulaga was to credit Morgan not to discredit Bulaga.

Bulaga showed why he is one of the top 3 OT coming out.

Bufftp
01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
You're right Bids- Reiff will be a monster. I think the Big 10 regained some respect this bowl season. Boy Iowa just dominated GT.

Next year I think the Big 10 comes down to Ohio Stae and IOWA.

BidsJr
01-06-2010, 10:55 AM
You're right Bids- Reiff will be a monster. I think the Big 10 regained some respect this bowl season. Boy Iowa just dominated GT.

Next year I think the Big 10 comes down to Ohio Stae and IOWA.

If Bulaga and Spievey come back HAWKS will be in the driver seat. Especially if Stanzi gets 10% better in the offseason.

How about that "USA #1 If you don't love it leave it!" comment after the game? That was awesome.

Mahdi
01-06-2010, 10:56 AM

I think Okung is more of a Ryan Clady type player which is what makes him the best OT in the class. He plays with finesse and power.

Campbell is a bit raw but he has the ability to be Johnathan Ogden.

I think all 3 have different skills but Okung is #1 because he is a nice blend of Campbell's physical skills and Bulaga's toughness/power.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I think Okung is more of a Ryan Clady type player which is what makes him the best OT in the class. He plays with finesse and power.

Campbell is a bit raw but he has the ability to be Johnathan Ogden.

I think all 3 have different skills but Okung is #1 because he is a nice blend of Campbell's physical skills and Bulaga's toughness/power.

I agree with the above.

I think Bulaga is the most technically sound OT though.

soapman
01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I agree with the above.

I think Bulaga is the most technically sound OT though.

He showed it last night for sure.