Patrick76777
06-03-2003, 02:55 PM
GET OUT!

Mr. Miyagi
06-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Really?

lordofgun
06-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Serious. Just reported by Howard Simon. He said they'll be talking to him soon.

Patrick76777
06-03-2003, 03:00 PM
I just heard it

lordofgun
06-03-2003, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't get too excited though. He only caught 2 passes in the last 2 years.

Mr. Miyagi
06-03-2003, 03:01 PM
First we're loaded with RBs. Now we're loaded with WRs. COOL!!!!!

:gobills:

Patrick76777
06-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Training camp fodder

BillsOwnAll
06-03-2003, 03:07 PM
MM were pretty loaded on Def. too.

LtBillsFan66
06-03-2003, 03:07 PM
If you look at his NFL.com stats, he has 4 catches in the past 2 years... AND 6 FUMBLES. LOL

Mr. Miyagi
06-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
If you look at his NFL.com stats, he has 4 catches in the past 2 years... AND 6 FUMBLES. LOL
How in the hell do you have 4 catches and 6 fumbles? Handoffs?

Jan Reimers
06-03-2003, 03:13 PM
He's been hurt. If healthy, he will be a serious contender for a roster spot. Well worth the gamble.

lordofgun
06-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

How in the hell do you have 4 catches and 6 fumbles? Handoffs?

Probably kick returns.

Dozerdog
06-03-2003, 03:22 PM
And reverses

Patrick76777
06-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Wait a second, over the past month I’ve had to sit by and see fin fans go nuts over the acquisition of an over the hill Linebacker, a Safety who sat on the open market for over 2 months and a Backup QB who was replaced by Friggen Jake Plummer. I’m going to enjoy this for a little while.

Romes
06-03-2003, 03:27 PM
well, we have speed at wideout now. This reminds me of the Huntley signing. He will probably be out with the last round of cuts.

Here is the official press release
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=184355&dsp=press

Mr. Miyagi
06-03-2003, 03:28 PM
You do that. No reason we shouldn't either. Some news is better than no news.

:gobills:

BillsMan80
06-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Jett IMO will make this team. He's so fast, that he will open up lanes for our other WRs.

Dozerdog
06-03-2003, 03:36 PM
sweet!

Romes
06-03-2003, 03:40 PM
The WR battle will be a fun one to follow come training camp.

BillsNYC
06-03-2003, 04:08 PM
wow...this came out of nowhere....hadn't even heard his name mentioned at all....

yle
06-03-2003, 05:29 PM
I know. With all of the teams in need of wideouts (like the Cards), it makes you wonder why no one was talking about him ...hmm. :scratch:

THATHURMANATOR
06-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Because he hasn't done anything in years!!! How old is he?

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 05:48 PM
i cant believe we just signed this piece of crap.. he WAS fast.. and he cant catch a cold.. the guy is old now.. and hasnt done crap in a long time.. 2 catches and 6 fumbles?? nice..

i am pissed because this just means less time to see guys like wright and rone and others..

jett his ass right back out of here.

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 05:50 PM
best ever season in ELEVEN seasons.. 883 yards.. wow.. he is 33 years old by the way.. will be 34 just after christmas..

gimme a break.. what a waste of space.

The_Philster
06-03-2003, 05:53 PM
I just hope he does some work on the Juggs machine this year.

Romes
06-03-2003, 05:54 PM
If he is then he will get cut Tatonka.

THATHURMANATOR
06-03-2003, 05:54 PM
I agree T!!!

Dozerdog
06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
We can sign the fastest guy in the NAIA, or we can risk NOTHING and sign the NFL's fastest man in 1996.

Forgot, TD just gets dumb and makes these knee jerk signings all the time ...:rolleyes:

OOOOOHHHHHH..... somebody's gonna steal C Johnson's spot on the end of the pine....... what an outrage!

Sabre Ally
06-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Is he cute? :)

Romes
06-03-2003, 06:09 PM
You know Stalin and his communist regime thought competition was bad.

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:10 PM
i would take charles johnson over jett any day.. at least johnson can catch the ball.. i thought that was a requirement for a wr.. i have no idea how this guy has been in the nfl for so long... we used to make fun of this guy when he was on the raiders for years.

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:12 PM
i guess another reason that this is as irritating is that this is most likely the last WR we sign.. i would have taken gadsen, ismail, freeman, or even stokes over him.. he has no potential... he is 33 years old, getting slower and never could catch.. why even wait to cut him till training camp.. just cut him now and save him the move.

The_Philster
06-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
Is he cute? :)

You be the judge....I don't think so myself.

http://images.nfl.com/images/players/60x80/1269.jpg

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:13 PM
has anyone ever been signed and then cut by the same team in a day? :D

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

You be the judge....I don't think so myself.

http://images.nfl.com/images/players/60x80/1269.jpg

i am sure he is a real "catch"

:D

Doc
06-03-2003, 06:20 PM
He'll battle Johnson for the last WR spot. Remember that CJ had just 3 catches last year.

mypoorfriendme
06-03-2003, 06:22 PM
i agree with tonka, its not so much that hes a washed up old guy who could never play in the first place really, its that this probably means we're not going to try to bring in anyone else, sorry jett but i think we've got the sixth reciever spot pretty well covered!

Dozerdog
06-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
has anyone ever been signed and then cut by the same team in a day? :D

So, what you're saying is- if a better receiver walks up to one Bills drive tomorrow, and wants to play for the minimum and won't ***** and moan about being the #4 or #5 guy, that TD will say "Get Lost"?

Gee whizz, we are talking about a marginal player, who if he rcovered from his injuries could blow by most CB's in hte league.

Even if he can't catch- the opposition will still waste a guy or two on him on D to respect the deep threat. No coach will allow a guy to roam 50 yards down field on the premise he'll drop it.

Kelly The Dog
06-03-2003, 06:28 PM
i cant believe we just signed this piece of crap.. he WAS fast.. and he cant catch a cold.. the guy is old now.. and hasnt done crap in a long time.. 2 catches and 6 fumbles?? nice..

i am pissed because this just means less time to see guys like wright and rone and others..

jett his ass right back out of here.

You complain about his best season ever when he had 12 touchdowns? Has any Bills WR ever scored 12 touchdowns? I don't recall one in 40 years.

Granted, he is not a great receiver. Has never even been really good, although 12 TDs is phenomenal for a #2 or #3 receiver. But he's just what the Bills need. He will only battle the rookie Aiken for being either #4 or #5 receiver and only play on 3,4 or 5 WR sets.

If he makes the team, which I believe he will unless we sign another speed guy, will replace Charles Johnson who we need less than zero now that we have Shaw, Reed and Aiken as possession guys. And he will be able to stretch the field. Occupy CBs and Safeties. And keep defenses from crowding the line. We needed one of our five guys to do that and now we have one.

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

1. So, what you're saying is- if a better receiver walks up to one Bills drive tomorrow, and wants to play for the minimum and won't ***** and moan about being the #4 or #5 guy, that TD will say "Get Lost"?

2. Gee whizz, we are talking about a marginal player, who if he rcovered from his injuries could blow by most CB's in hte league.

3. Even if he can't catch- the opposition will still waste a guy or two on him on D to respect the deep threat. No coach will allow a guy to roam 50 yards down field on the premise he'll drop it.

1. yes.

2. marginal is a great word to describe jett.. , "if he recovered from his injuries".. getting tired of hearing that about bills players.. he said himself that he was just a little nicked up.. how do you get hurt if you dont play.. "could blow by most CB's in the league" should be followed up by back in 1998 which was his semi productive year.

3. "even if he cant catch".. did you mean to add the "even if" to that?

Romes
06-03-2003, 06:35 PM
3 words:

COMPETITION IS GOOD

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog

You complain about his best season ever when he had 12 touchdowns? Has any Bills WR ever scored 12 touchdowns? I don't recall one in 40 years.

Granted, he is not a great receiver. Has never even been really good, although 12 TDs is phenomenal for a #2 or #3 receiver. But he's just what the Bills need. He will only battle the rookie Aiken for being either #4 or #5 receiver and only play on 3,4 or 5 WR sets.

If he makes the team, which I believe he will unless we sign another speed guy, will replace Charles Johnson who we need less than zero now that we have Shaw, Reed and Aiken as possession guys. And he will be able to stretch the field. Occupy CBs and Safeties. And keep defenses from crowding the line. We needed one of our five guys to do that and now we have one.

your assuming he is fast..

he was active for one game last year.. so he couldnt even make the raiders games as a 4th wr there.. i mean.. i am not talking about starting.. i am just talking about dressing.. he dressed in the first game of the season.. then thats it.. and he said himself he was not hurt..

he is 33.. i can promise you he does not run a 4.3 or whatever he ran back in the mid 90s when he put up that impressive 12 tds to go with a his solid 800 yards as a starter.

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Romes
3 words:

COMPETITION IS GOOD

i guess my point is.. i dont see him as competition..

Sabre Ally
06-03-2003, 06:38 PM

Then his signing is irrelevant, he won't make the team if that is true.

Romes
06-03-2003, 06:38 PM

Then he will be cut. I just don't see what the problem is.

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:41 PM
the problem is not that he is here as much as that it means that someone else who is good WONT be here..

a guy like ismail or whoever .. anyone really.. this is the last wr we will sign.

Romes
06-03-2003, 06:43 PM
ok, now i see your point.

Kelly The Dog
06-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Tatonka, you're assuming that he is not fast. Do you really think that Modrak and Donohoe and Williams and Gilbride didnt know that his entire career was based on speed, and perhaps thought to themselves, hey, wouldn't it be a great idea if we borrowed a stopwatch from someone? Football players lose speed and breakdown because their bodies are beaten up so much. Three or four of his ten years he barely played, including the last two. And the rest he hardly got hit. He's probably the least beaten up 10 year vet in the league. I am not saying he is a top player or a fabulous signing, only that Moulds-Reed-Shaw-Jett-Aiken is clearly better IMO than Moulds-Reed-Shaw-Johnson-Aiken.

Charles Johnson caught three passes as a #4 WR last year.

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
Tatonka, you're assuming that he is not fast. Do you really think that Modrak and Donohoe and Williams and Gilbride didnt know that his entire career was based on speed, and perhaps thought to themselves, hey, wouldn't it be a great idea if we borrowed a stopwatch from someone?

they obviously cant make a bad signing.. and they must make them all run.. i mean, for god sakes, they did grab eddie robinson for a mill a year.. true genious.. :rolleyes:

:hamrhed:

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 06:49 PM
and my point was not that i wanted johnson here either.. but that i was hoping for something along the lines of..

moulds, reed, shaw, aiken, and ismail/gadsen/freeman/stokes/potential training camp cuts/anyone other than an oldass guy named jett :D

Kelly The Dog
06-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Eddie Robinson was not signed solely for his speed. In fact, just the opposite. That's not a good analogy. Jett is ONLY speed. If he is no longer fast, they dont have any chance, or reason, or motivation of signing him. None.

Kelly The Dog
06-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Personally, I think I would have preferred Ismail myself. But this doesn't cost anything. It's no risk whatsoever, and if another player comes along they think will help the team they will have no problem with dumping Jett and signing someone else. It's not like they have to pay a huge signing bonus or have a history with him.

The_Philster
06-03-2003, 07:21 PM

they obviously cant make a bad signing.. and they must make them all run.. i mean, for god sakes, they did grab eddie robinson for a mill a year.. true genious.. :rolleyes:

:hamrhed:

:hi5:
Just because Donahoe is one of the best in the league doesn't mean he's perfect.

Dozerdog
06-03-2003, 07:27 PM
and my point was not that i wanted johnson here either.. but that i was hoping for something along the lines of..

moulds, reed, shaw, aiken, and ismail/gadsen/freeman/stokes/potential training camp cuts/anyone other than an oldass guy named jett :D

-How do we know they haven't talked to these guys? Ismail was here last month- they said see ya later.

- How do we know these guys were willing to sign for what Jett did?

- How do we know if Stokes wanted to come here and be #3? Lots of these guys want to be on the field as the #1 or #2. How do we know if they fit into whatever offense we are planning?

Maybe we already have a younger ismail/gadsen/freeman/stokes/ on the roster. Maybe TD's looking for a receiver with Jett's abilities. You're complaining that he picked the wrong color garbage can.

Doc
06-03-2003, 07:39 PM
The fact that Jett stopped by the Bills camp makes me believe they had him go out for a couple passes and liked what they saw. As for Robinson, he led the Titans in tackles the year before he signed with the Bills. They didn't know he would age so quickly and in retrospect it was a bad move, but Jett probably won't make more than the league minimum and the Bills have had time to look at the other guys and didn't want them, so they were never really an option.

Dozerdog
06-03-2003, 07:44 PM
What linebackers should the Bills have selected instead of Robinson? Could we have afforded that LB?

Tatonka
06-03-2003, 09:56 PM
well.. we had foreman on the roster i believe.. he seemed to do ok last year.. :rolleyes:.. so we trade foreman for a KR that makes one good play all year.. and sign an old LB for 1 million a year... not even vet minimum.. and he single handedly embarasses us all year, week after week.. right up to when he let chad pennington of all people, jook him right out of his jock at the goal line.

look.. i am not even remotely trying to say that TD is not doing an incredible job.. but i am pointing out that he made a mistake here imho.

and kelly.. in theory, it would be nice to see td go out and sign another wr if a good one became available, but i just have the feeling that when he said we need one more wr to take to camp, jett was the guy, and that he wont be signing anyone else..

regardless, what is done is done.. now we have another useless, old washed up piece of crap on the team taking up a roster spot and vet minimum, when we could have signed some other color trash can..

i have said my piece. i hope that old noncatching piece of crap proves me and his 11 year career wrong.

Romes
06-04-2003, 02:02 AM
Tatonka you are making a few big assumptions with you statements.

1) That is that Ismael or anyone else would have signed for the minimum as Jett did.
2) Ismael or anyone else would have wanted to play here.
3) That another WR would have accepted the role of #4 or #5 if that is what they ended up getting. (in other words- fit well with the team chemistry)

Throne Logic
06-04-2003, 05:43 AM
Tatonka, Eddie Robinson's signing isn't a good comparison to Jett's signing. Starting OLB compared to #4 or #5 WR? Jett is a no risk. We were heavily relying on ER.

Stewie
06-04-2003, 06:54 AM
I completely agree with T

Are you telling me we couldn't find a kid out of college somewhere who could run with Jett, someone who we could teach route running later but has speed to burn now?

I mean, *I* could catch the ball 2 times for every six fumbles

Earthquake Enyart
06-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Jett is a situational player. He will be handy to have when we go 4 or 5 wide. He is also being paid like a situational player.

I don't see the problem. Ismael / Freeman / Gadsden aren't much better, and they all would cost more $$.

Tatonka
06-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Tatonka, Eddie Robinson's signing isn't a good comparison to Jett's signing. Starting OLB compared to #4 or #5 WR? Jett is a no risk. We were heavily relying on ER.

obviously, ER was a much worse and much more costly move..

unless your name is chad pennington.

Patrick76777
06-04-2003, 07:48 AM
This was a waste of time.

deathadder
06-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Jett's best season came in 1997. He had 885 yards and 12 tds. Do you guys remember who was QB back then? Another guy who had a strong arm, Jeff George. After that season, Rich Gannon took over the offense. Gannon does not have a strong arm thats why Jett didn't play much after because they went from deep threat to more of a possesion game. I believe with Drew Bledsoe's arm, Jett would make a nice addition to our offense. All we needed was speed and boy thats what we got. I'd rather take him over JJ stokes, Ismail, Dyson, or any other WR free agents out there or that were out there. All the others are injury prone. Just take a look at Dyson. Many people wanted him. Now look, Kevin Dyson tore his Achilles tendon during a Wednesday practice session and is out for the entire season.
! Wait untill training camp, we'll see all the haters turn into Pro-Jett....:D

lordofgun
06-04-2003, 03:53 PM
I hope you're right deathadder! Good first post!

Dozerdog
06-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the board!

I think that's what I said before. He's got a skill that TD desires.

Tatonka
06-04-2003, 05:04 PM
we shall see.. i truely hope i am wrong.. it has only happened a couple times before :D

cordog
06-04-2003, 05:29 PM
My uncle is a HUGE raiders fan, i remember watching some games with him a few years ago when Jett was playing alot. He couldnt catch an STD from a two dollar prostitute.

MissBuffalo
06-04-2003, 05:40 PM
:movie:

The_Philster
06-04-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by cordog
My uncle is a HUGE raiders fan, i remember watching some games with him a few years ago when Jett was playing alot. He couldnt catch an STD from a two dollar prostitute.

:lol: