X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • don137
    • Jul 2002

Question about the love for Grimm

I was listening to Sal's show last night and he was asking for the approval rating for potential coaches of the Bills.

It made me wonder afterwards the love affair for Grimm. Iwondered is he successful because he is good and brings out the best in his players or is successful because surrounded by very good talent.

The reason I thought about it is because when Warner is not in there for Arizona that offense looks just as bad as Buffalo's offense. When Leinart has been in there when Warner has been injured that offense has looked very pedestrian much like Buffalo's offense.

So is Grimm good and if hired as head coach would make Buffalo better or just surrounded by good talent? I am truly not sure myself.
    Last edited by don137; 01-06-2010, 06:17 AM.
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: Question about the love for Grimm

Grimm is another unknown guy, but for some mysterious reason he is loved like a woman around here. I'm still baffled by it because he's nothing special like some here claim, and I really hope he's not the next coach.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

Here is my reason and it may not be sound, but it is mine. Grimm was an offensive lineman and knows what it takes to be a good offensive lineman. I also perceive that since he was an offensive lineman, he would think that a good team starts on the lines on both sides of the ball. As a coordinator, he doesn't have control over the guys he gets and still has to answer to the coach on the offensive style he has to play. Lastly, being a former offensive lineman, I actually like the fact that he knows his players limitations in his offense as well as the talent that he has is more geared towards the pass. I want a coach that will pick players that he likes AND can coach a player and use their talents instead of trying to fit a guy in and hope he can do what you want him to do. IMO, a good coach knows the people he wants, their style, but can still adapt when a player has special talent.

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
        Here is my reason and it may not be sound, but it is mine. Grimm was an offensive lineman and knows what it takes to be a good offensive lineman. I also perceive that since he was an offensive lineman, he would think that a good team starts on the lines on both sides of the ball. As a coordinator, he doesn't have control over the guys he gets and still has to answer to the coach on the offensive style he has to play. Lastly, being a former offensive lineman, I actually like the fact that he knows his players limitations in his offense as well as the talent that he has is more geared towards the pass. I want a coach that will pick players that he likes AND can coach a player and use their talents instead of trying to fit a guy in and hope he can do what you want him to do. IMO, a good coach knows the people he wants, their style, but can still adapt when a player has special talent.
        My problem is that he has never elevated above OL coach...yes, he is the Asst. HC and "run game coordinator", but he has never been in charge of running an offense, let alone an entire team. I don't know, I just don't get the warm and fuzzies about him.

Comment

• soapman
          • Jan 2008

You can't blame the offensive woes on Grimm, he doesn't call plays. For that same reason, you can't really call him a winner. He just coached lineman on teams that have won. But everybody loves him for some reason.

Comment

• BoyILuvLoznStupidly
            • Sep 2009

I say no rookie head coach, it's Cowher or Billick or Bust. No more of these OC or DC getting on the job training on the Bills fans buck!

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

He has everything everybody has asked for aside from playcalling.

He has rings, has been successful, and is from a winning breed/tree.

If playcalling is that big of a deal to you, then you won't like him, if its not you'll likely like him. One has to ask how much playcalling an HC really does? Fewell and AVP did our play calling last year, Jauron to my knowledge made very little play calling decisions.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• soapman
                • Jan 2008

It's not just about playcalling, it's game management, time management, 4th down calls, etc. Things he has NO experience doing.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by soapman
                  It's not just about playcalling, it's game management, time management, 4th down calls, etc. Things he has NO experience doing.
                  Not true, he knows about game management and 4th down type calls. He plans and schemes the running game.

It is unknown if he makes the running game calls or not.

Time management, he has no experience doing though.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

A lot of people consider him another Tony Sporano, or however you spell that freegin miami coach

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                      A lot of people consider him another Tony Sporano, or however you spell that freegin miami coach
                      or Harbaugh.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

If Grimm has never been a Coordinator or a college HC then he has no business being mentioned as a BIlls HC. We can not afford such a roll of the dice on another coordinator let alone someone who hasn't even been a coordinator.

Could he be successful and buck our trend... sure is possible.. but who here wants to roll that dice .. raise your hand..... Not me

Grimm has great sub coordinator experience and success, but I would have to think he is only a candidate for our OC job by the new HC WAY before being considered for a HC vacancy in this league
                        Last edited by ddaryl; 01-06-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Wasn't Grimm in line to get the Steelers HC job before they fell in love with Tomlin?
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
                            Could he be successful and buck our trend... sure is possible.. but who here wants to roll that dice .. raise your hand..... Not me
                            If not Cowher or Marty... then

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                              If Grimm has never been a Coordinator or a college HC then he has no business being mentioned as a BIlls HC. We can not afford such a roll of the dice on another coordinator let alone someone who hasn't even been a coordinator.

Grimm has great sub coordinator experience and success, but I would have to think he is only a candidate for our OC job by the new HC WAY before being considered for a HC vacancy in this league
                              What does the bolded even mean?

Yes we can. The team needs to blown up, and what are we going to do? If the next HC is a bust (regardless of who is hired), we are going to wait 3-5 years, have him get fired and start over again. That's what being a fan is.

If we were close to being a contender Id agree with you, but this team is a joke and the Bills can afford to make mistakes now, not later.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X