PDA

View Full Version : The Case For Marty Schottenheimer

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
If Cowher is the jackpot, Schottenheimer is one hell of a consolation prize.

He’s been a head coach for 21 NFL seasons and during that span his teams made the postseason 13 times. He’s coached four teams and none of them had losing records during his tenure. He coached in Cleveland for five years and made the playoffs four times and then took Kansas City to the postseason in seven of 10 seasons. He also turned around a dreadful San Diego squad and went 14-2 in 2006 before losing in the first round of the playoffs, Schottenheimer’s final year in the league.

In total, Schottenheimer led-teams reached double digit victories 11 times. Perhaps more astounding, with the exception of the 4-12 Chargers in 2003 a Schottenheimer-coached team never won less than seven games. That’s not a misprint, not even once. He’s 74 games over .500 for his career.

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/the-case-for-marty-schottenheimer/)

clumping platelets
01-06-2010, 08:52 AM
:no:

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM

You hatin on Marty ball?!?!

lol

zone
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
It's a perfect fit. Marty helps us get to the playoffs and we (the 12th man) help him over the poor playoff stigma.

The road to the Super Bowl will once again run through Buffalo!

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 08:58 AM

Clump, who the hell do you want? You find something wrong with every candidate, it seems?

EDS
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
This franchise needs some long term stability. Hiring a 70 year old GM and a 67 year old coach (he would be the oldest coach in the NFL by 3 or 4 years) just does not make a lot of sense.

Experience is one thing, a retirement community is another.

Jeff1220
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Marty would be perfect. So would Cowher. Anybody else and it would be tough to get me excited about the team.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Your dead right on this issue. If Cowher wont come here, Marty would be terrific. I just dont see him unretiring.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
This franchise needs some long term stability. Hiring a 70 year old GM and a 67 year old coach (he would be the oldest coach in the NFL by 3 or 4 years) just does not make a lot of sense.

Experience is one thing, a retirement community is another.

I suggested that hiring Marty and having him bring his son to groom for a few years would be the move.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I suggested that hiring Marty and having him bring his son to groom for a few years would be the move.

This is the absolute only way I'd want Brian Schottenheimer here...this I could live with.

FlyingDutchman
01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Id take Marty over Cowher

EDS
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Why would Marty's son do that?

You could argue that he would then have a predetermined path to become HC once dad retires in a few years. Problem with that argument is that Nix, due to his age, could retire any day and the Schottenheimer towel waiver in the front office is gone, leaving Brian with an unclear path to the HC job.

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
WTF Clump.... I would almost rather have Marty Ball than Cowher.

Beastie Bills
01-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I like Marty, but we need some youth.

Granted, at 67 years old, Marty may be considered a youth movement, compared to our Owner and GM, but still....

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Marty's record of regular season success is undeniably awesome. He gets teams to the playoffs more times then he misses

His only stigma is the inability to win the big one... but ....

No former coach has won a superbowl with 2 teams therfore marty's record in unblemished and he still has to fulfill that victory.... plus not winning the SB yet has to leave Marty still hungry

I would not be upset with Marty S as our next head coach...

The Slave
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Marty is my number 2 choice behind Cowher. Followed by Mike Nolan.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Why would Marty's son do that?

You could argue that he would then have a predetermined path to become HC once dad retires in a few years. Problem with that argument is that Nix, due to his age, could retire any day and the Schottenheimer towel waiver in the front office is gone, leaving Brian with an unclear path to the HC job.

Well he's not going to get promoted from the Jets that's for sure, and possibly Cleveland is the only other opening for 2010, so unless the Bills hire him now (which is a strong possibility) he's not going to be a HC anyway.

He can come here and do a good job and either become this head coach or land a job elsewhere.

The question is, why would he want to take a OC position lateral from the Jets to the Bills. That IMO would only happen if his father was the HC

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Marty is my number 2 choice behind Cowher. Followed by Mike Nolan.

im at least moderately surprised nobody has mentioned Nolan in coaching circles.

SABURZFAN
01-06-2010, 10:43 AM
not sold on Marty. he's been away from the game for a while and we all saw how Joe Gibbs performed when he went back to the Skins. we need somebody up to date and up to speed.

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
not sold on Marty. he's been away from the game for a while and we all saw how Joe Gibbs performed when he went back to the Skins. we need somebody up to date and up to speed.

definitely a concern. He last coached in 2006

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Has Marty given any sign that he wants to coach again?

I like Nolan to be honest, but he failed badly at SF. Not sure he deserves another shot.