PDA

View Full Version : Per WGR - Bills not interested in Billick

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 08:53 AM
I really don't know what to believe anymore...I just want this thing to be over. That being said, the longer it goes, the more worried I get.

Jeremy says that a Bills source (whatever that means) said the Bills are not interested in Brian Billick. I don't understand why...maybe it's because he won too much in the NFL?

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 08:56 AM
I hope the source is right, because I seriously don't want him...

I dont see why we cant get Cowher or Marty if we put our mind and resources to it.

Billick is arrogant, and I dont like some of the things he's done as coach, and IMO he showed his real feelings about Buffao with his comment last month

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
I hope the source is right, because I seriously don't want him...

I dont see why we cant get Cowher or Marty if we put our mind and resources to it.

Billick is arrogant, and I dont like some of the things he's done as coach, and IMO he showed his real feelings about Buffao with his comment last month

Ehh...the guy is a good coach, you may not like him, but it doesn't mean that he isn't one of the better options for this team.

clumping platelets
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
:clap:

polishdreamer
01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
:handball: , next.

mybills
01-06-2010, 09:00 AM
the Bills are not interested in Brian Billick.
:bravo: :jill: :drunks: :party: :bf1: :phew: :bravo:

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I really don't understand the hatred for Billick?

BillsWin
01-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Billick is head and shoulders better than Brian Schottenhiemer or in my opinion, Ron Rivera.

If Billick were to get Tice, and then hire a good defensive coordinator like he did multiple times in Baltimore he is a good option.

I still think we can get Cowher. Everytime a team is reported interested in him, he has either turned them down, or the job wasn't even available.

The Bills need to make him a big offer. And fast.

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Ehh...the guy is a good coach, you may not like him, but it doesn't mean that he isn't one of the better options for this team.

He's a top 5 candidate... and probably 4th or 5th on that list... but I agree there should at least be a interest...

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Me either, my list is

Cowher
Billick
Marty
insert Bust here

WeAreArthurMoates
01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
I just don't see how we atleast don't interview the guy. Sounds stupid to me. Scotty Jr. will be a good head coach someday but he's lack of experience is not a good fit for us now. Unless of course he can land some killer, and I mean killer assistants.

Dicknoze69
01-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I just don't see how we atleast don't interview the guy. Sounds stupid to me. Scotty Jr. will be a good head coach someday but he's lack of experience is not a good fit for us now. Unless of course he can land some killer, and I mean killer assistants.

I agree. I think Billick has the credentials to at least garner an interview. Even though I personally don't want him for various reasons, you can't deny he did well in Baltimore and has top-notch head coach experience.

trapezeus
01-06-2010, 09:09 AM
i feel like the papparazzi chasing after princess Di. What the hell. We can't seem to cover all the exits.

This needs to be sorted out before friday in my mind. if it's not, then it means they really want to figure out options with Brian Schottenheimer or other OC/DC.

mybills
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
"Why would anyone want to coach in Buffalo?"

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM

Good point, and true.

Like everybody, I have my list of guys I want and he's not on it. So him not being here (if its even true) increases the chance of the guy that I want to get the gig.

Just my opinion of course

HHURRICANE
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I really don't know what to believe anymore...I just want this thing to be over. That being said, the longer it goes, the more worried I get.

Jeremy says that a Bills source (whatever that means) said the Bills are not interested in Brian Billick. I don't understand why...maybe it's because he won too much in the NFL?

I love how I got criticized for the NFL Network thread but so far nothing is happening with Cowher. Billick, like they said, didn't even get contacted.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Seriously, get over it...WNY'rs need to get over being so personal about stuff like that. Has he not shown an interest recently??? So why not gloat about that...he ACTUALLY wouldn't mind working in Buffalo! Instead, people are continuing to find reasons why he shouldn't be here. I just don't get it...he's a proven winner, has credibility in the NFL and can assemble a good coaching staff. I'm sorry, those are all positives in my book.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Good point, and true.

Like everybody, I have my list of guys I want and he's not on it. So him not being here (if its even true) increases the chance of the guy that I want to get the gig.

Just my opinion of course

That makes sense...who is on your list?

mybills
01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Seriously, get over it...WNY'rs need to get over being so personal about stuff like that. Has he not shown an interest recently??? So why not gloat about that...he ACTUALLY wouldn't mind working in Buffalo! Instead, people are continuing to find reasons why he shouldn't be here. I just don't get it...he's a proven winner, has credibility in the NFL and can assemble a good coaching staff. I'm sorry, those are all positives in my book.
BULL! I want someone who puts Buffalo first. Someone who WANTS to be here, for more than just the ****ing money. And I'm sick of defense minded coaches, too, so Rivera can go jump in the nearest lake. I'm almost as old as/watching almost as long as Mad Bomber and I'm sick and ****ing tired of stupid choices at HC!
So don't tell me to "GET OVER IT" :nono:

:bf1: YAY that they're not interested in Billick! :bf1:

SABuffalo786
01-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Hilarious. WGR was the first to break this rumor and now they're refuting it.

Hooray for a one sports radio station town.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Hilarious. WGR was the first to break this rumor and now they're refuting it.

Hooray for a one sports radio station town.

Ha...excellent point...WGR does need to cleanup their act.

DMBcrew36
01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Billick is still 50x better than Jauron or Mularkey

Night Train
01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Me either, my list is

Cowher
Billick
Marty
insert Bust here

I feel the same way.

Professing love for some unproven asst. with zero resume as a HC at any level doesn't impress me or the ticket buying fanbase.

After 10 years of no post-season, the experimental route is played.

Dujek
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Billick is probably the best available option out there after Cowher, not going after him means one of two things:

1. Cowher is coming.
2. The Bills front office is screwing us over once again.

If you take it that 1 is correct then I can see why people might be happy Billick isn't being considered, but really, to completely discount one of the best coaches available at this stage is foolhardy.

mybills
01-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Hey Dujek..did you neg hydro & madness, too? :coocoo:

DMBcrew36
01-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Billick is probably the best available option out there after Cowher, not going after him means one of two things:

1. Cowher is coming.
2. The Bills front office is screwing us over once again.

If you take it that 1 is correct then I can see why people might be happy Billick isn't being considered, but really, to completely discount one of the best coaches available at this stage is foolhardy.

"Does anyone here know Brian Billick on a personal level? No? Ok, we can just cross him off the list then..."

chernobylwraiths
01-06-2010, 09:48 AM
His second season with the Ravens with arguably the greatest defense in NFL history he won the superbowl. After that, with many of the same players on defense, his team made the playoffs three times and won one game. Add to that he was considered an offensive genius and his offenses weren't that good. I think Baltimore won games despite him being coach rather than because of his good coaching.

Iehoshua
I feel the same way.

Professing love for some unproven asst. with zero resume as a HC at any level doesn't impress me or the ticket buying fanbase.

After 10 years of no post-season, the experimental route is played.
Jauron was proven...

...a proven below average coach that is.

Nighthawk
"Does anyone here know Brian Billick on a personal level? No? Ok, we can just cross him off the list then..."

Nice...probably was one of the qualifying factors!

chernobylwraiths
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Billick is still 50x better than Jauron or Mularkey

What is 50 times zero?

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Jauron was proven...

...a proven below average coach that is.

I think he means that we need a proven winner...not just another guy who's coached in the NFL.

Iehoshua
01-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Brian Billick's records:

Reg Season: 80-64
Postseason: 5-3

1 Superbowl Championship.

That's one more Superbowl championship than the Bills have. Ever.

Perhaps he isn't the most desirable candidate but to say he isn't a proven winner would be false.

chernobylwraiths
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Barry Switzer

regular season 40 - 24
playoffs 5 - 2
1 superbowl championship

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Barry Switzer

regular season 40 - 24
playoffs 5 - 2
1 superbowl championship

You're reaching...Switzer took over a SB team that was already assembled. Billick didn't have that luxury...his team was built while under his watch. Plus, although I don't like his history with developing QBs, you've got to give him credit for the fact that he won with average QBs.

chernobylwraiths
01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
George Seifert
regular season 114 - 62
playoffs 15 -10
2 superbowls

my point? Sometimes, it's because of the players.

Iehoshua
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Barry Switzer

regular season 40 - 24
playoffs 5 - 2
1 superbowl championship Billick has 40 more reg season wins than Switzer. Forty. It took the Bills the majority of this entire decade to win 40 games. Not saying Billick nor Switzer didnt benefit greatly by players they had, but you can't diminish what Billick has done over the span of his coaching career.

Dujek
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Hey Dujek..did you neg hydro & madness, too? :coocoo:

They never bite...

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Despite Billick being an offensive genius we never saw it. Baltimore's wins were built on that defense. Billick is an offensive guy, at what point did he show he was capable of building an offense as a head coach?

He was the Ravens HC from 99-07. Here are the Baltimore O rankings;
99-24th
00-16th
01-14th
02-26th
03-21st
04-31st
05-24th
06-17th
07-22nd

Im not impressed by his offensive abilties, since its his specialty.

Commissioner
01-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Probably because Billick hasn't done jack since being handed one of the best NFL defenses in NFL history.

Take away that 1 season and what do you have? A supposed offensive guru who could never find a QB or get an offense going in Baltimore. Why would we want him here?

Billick is one of those people that thinks he's smarter than he is....

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 10:57 AM
The title of this thread is not accurate.
.http://www.wgr550.com/CONFIRMED--Billick-no-official-contact-with-Bills/6050072

Its only that Billick has not been contacted and nothing has been set up

TheBrownBear
01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Good. I'd prefer one of the young coordinators over Billick.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
.http://www.wgr550.com/CONFIRMED--Billick-no-official-contact-with-Bills/6050072

So wouldn't that mean so far that they are not interested? Since no contact has been made to this point.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
So wouldn't that mean so far that they are not interested? Since no contact has been made to this point.

Not necessarily.

The Bills could be compiling a list at this point still.

You gonna put it past them? lol

They're not exactly the team that takes the most swift of actions

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Not that I'm saying you're wrong or I disagree, but can i ask why?

Philagape
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Billick didn't have that luxury...his team was built while under his watch.

Not quite ... They already had Ogden, Ray Lewis, Siragusa, Boulware, Burnett, Woodson, Sharper and Starks when he got there, and they won the SB in Billick's second season

Historian
01-06-2010, 11:15 AM

"Why would anybody wanna quarterback in Buffalo?" -Jim Kelly, 1983.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 11:15 AM
For all we know the Bills arent interested in anybody, because at least as far as we know the Bills haven't formally contacted anyone, and have only interviewed Fewell

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 11:16 AM
"Why would anybody wanna quarterback in Buffalo?" -Jim Kelly, 1983.

Although you're paraphrasing, I never thought of it that way. Good point

Jimbo wanted nothing to do with Buffalo when drafted.

BidsJr
01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
For all we know the Bills arent interested in anybody, because at least as far as we know the Bills haven't formally contacted anyone, and have only interviewed Fewell

So that makes Fewell the favorite.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
So that makes Fewell the favorite.

Ouch, never repeat that publicly.

Demon
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
They are going the cheap route. Waiting to interview Brian Shotty and Grimm. Cheap ****ers.

Nighthawk

The title is not inaccurate...it is straight from Jeremy White's mouth on today's show...can't post a link to what I heard over and over this morning. The title is accurate...per the story Jeremy White told this morning.

DraftBoy

I prefer one becuase its new blood, it bring excitement and new ideas. They will let Nix do his job and not command personnel control.

Also if they suck it won't be a hard fire. If we bring Cowher in his contract and status alone will make him very difficult to fire. Imagine if Cowher had the same record as Jauron right now, do you think the ground swell to fire Cowher would be near the same force? Not even close.

chernobylwraiths

Big difference. Drafted players don't have much choice who takes them. Coaches have all the choice on where they would like to go.

Philagape

The difference being, of course, is that the Bills owned him. Coaches have a bit more freedom to choose.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I prefer one becuase its new blood, it bring excitement and new ideas. They will let Nix do his job and not command personnel control.

Also if they suck it won't be a hard fire. If we bring Cowher in his contract and status alone will make him very difficult to fire. Imagine if Cowher had the same record as Jauron right now, do you think the ground swell to fire Cowher would be near the same force? Not even close.

This is not true at all. Of course it would be a hard fire, Ralph is not going to pull the trigger on firing another coach...not at his age. That is why it is important to get a proven winner in here who knows exactly what he is doing and not some newbie he needs to learn on the job.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM

your first paragraph could very well be the reason they go that route.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
This is not true at all. Of course it would be a hard fire, Ralph is not going to pull the trigger on firing another coach...not at his age. That is why it is important to get a proven winner in here who knows exactly what he is doing and not some newbie he needs to learn on the job.

I disagree if its Cowher in here in place of Jauron almost half (if not more) of those on the fire dick bandwagon are saying give Cowher one more year, because look what he did with more time in Pitt. It would definitely make it harder, and that's not even taking into consideration the contractual difference and that I prefer a seperation of FO and Coaching akin to seperation of Church and State.

Demon
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM

Let me ask you or anyone else who wants a "good" coordinator" in here.

None of them have been more hyped then Josh McDaniels and look how they ended up?

If we do get a coordinator, who will his assistants be? Why would anyone want to come and work under a 70 year old first time GM, a first time head coach, for a cheap that is cheap and doesn't sign free agents. We will have bum WR coaches who will get a call of promotion to be OC or a LB coach promoted to DC. Nobody with any credibility will want to come. Why in the world would anyone want that??

That is what I don't understand.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
your first paragraph could very well be the reason they go that route.

Good FO and Coaching should be kept seperate. That's my biggest reason for not wanting Cowher as badly as others.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I disagree if its Cowher in here in place of Jauron almost half (if not more) of those on the fire dick bandwagon are saying give Cowher one more year, because look what he did with more time in Pitt. It would definitely make it harder, and that's not even taking into consideration the contractual difference and that I prefer a seperation of FO and Coaching akin to seperation of Church and State.

Also, bringing in a coordinator will not bring excitement, it will bring the feeling of more of the same from this organization.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Let me ask you or anyone else who wants a "good" coordinator" in here.

None of them have been more hyped then Josh McDaniels and look how they ended up?

If we do get a coordinator, who will his assistants be? Why would anyone want to come and work under a 70 year old first time GM, a first time head coach, for a cheap that is cheap and doesn't sign free agents. We will have bum WR coaches who will get a call of promotion to be OC or a LB coach promoted to DC. Nobody with any credibility will want to come. Why in the world would anyone want that??

That is what I don't understand.

Says who? Cam Cameron took a job with Harbaugh, he was a hell of a OC. Same with Mike Nolan with McDaniels. Your premise is false.

Demon
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM

And hire who?

Even if we bring in the next Belichick in here, he will fail unless he gets all the help he needs. Our team is a mess. He needs great assistants. No coordinator will have good assistants. If they mess up one more time on a coach, we're in big time trouble guys. There might not be a next time.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Also, bringing in a coordinator will not bring excitement, it will bring the feeling of more of the same from this organization.

Maybe for you, but not for me, and it doesnt matter about excitement level right now. If the guy wins the fans will get excited. The fans will be excited when FA starts, and when the draft starts.

Nobody is sour all the time as a fan (well except Op).

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
And hire who?

Even if we bring in the next Belichick in here, he will fail unless he gets all the help he needs. Our team is a mess. He needs great assistants. No coordinator will have good assistants. If they mess up one more time on a coach, we're in big time trouble guys. There might not be a next time.

We have already heard from Coach Sal that there is some kind of a plan in place for when Ralph dies.

That's good enough for me for right now to know that there will be a next time and likely many times after that.

Demon
01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Says who? Cam Cameron took a job with Harbaugh, he was a hell of a OC. Same with Mike Nolan with McDaniels. Your premise is false.

Look at Denver's ownership and front office. And look at Baltimore's front office. Now look at ours. My premise was wrong? Please.

We're a team, that's unstable, 91 year old owner who doesn't know what the hell he is doing, a first time 70 year old GM.

Demon
01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Maybe for you, but not for me, and it doesnt matter about excitement level right now. If the guy wins the fans will get excited. The fans will be excited when FA starts, and when the draft starts.

Nobody is sour all the time as a fan (well except Op).

How exciting was it when we hired Williams or Mularkey? Very.

Look how that ended up?

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Look how that ended up?

I didn't like either one of those hires...I wanted Fox hired and I wanted Weis hired. Both times they tried to be smarter then everybody else and hired the "other" guy. I'm done with the "other" guy, I want "the guy"!

chernobylwraiths
01-06-2010, 11:45 AM

Look how that ended up?

It will be exciting with virtually ANYBODY they hire.

Demon
01-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I didn't like either one of those hires...I wanted Fox hired and I wanted Weis hired. Both times they tried to be smarter then everybody else and hired the "other" guy. I'm done with the "other" guy, I want "the guy"!

I didn't like the Williams hiring, but i was very pro Mularkey, i won't lie.

Demon
01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
It will be exciting with virtually ANYBODY they hire.

That is true, because they will sell it to us. But, it's gonna really hurt at the gate and their football record.

TheBrownBear
01-06-2010, 11:48 AM

For all the reasons already stated earlier in this thread and the countless others pertaining to Billick. He was an "offensive genius" who never succeeded in fielding a serviceable offensive attack. It was rumored he was hated by his players. And he never was able to build on the success of the Super Bowl run. It seemed more like a fluke born out of being gifted one of the greatest defenses in history.

Also, the Ravens simply played boring, ugly, unwatchable football during his tenure. I think with our mediocre front office, Billick would end up as a crankier, more media entertaining version of Dick Jauron.

PECKERWOOD
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
That's a shame, I'd put Billick only behind Cowher & Schottenheimer as far as available coaches are concerned. Everybody loves Cowher and thinks he would be a messiah of sorts, but in reality, Baltimore ALWAYS played Pittsburgh tough when these two coaches battled. Dare I say so, Billick is on par with Cowher and isn't a tremendous drop off.