Don't call Maybin a bust.... Yet ! (Nix discussion) (article / quote)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Don't call Maybin a bust.... Yet ! (Nix discussion) (article / quote)

I thought these quotes from the article was kind of a tell tale sign on who had the most influential input on the Maybin pick... and it wasn't Nix IMO

The Maybin pick looks no better today than it did nine months ago, and new general manager Buddy Nix made it pretty clear — without coming right out and saying it — that if he had been calling the shots last April, Maybin wouldn't have been the choice

"We try not to take guys who are one-year wonders; they'll get you in trouble," Nix said

Maybin was the quintessential one-year wonder at Penn State. As a redshirt freshman he played in 13 games as a reserve defensive end and made 12 tackles and four sacks. He still wasn't a starter at the beginning of 2008, but moved into the lineup because of an injury, started the final 10 games and made 49 tackles and an eye-catching 12 sacks.
    That was enough to convince Jauron, college scouting director Tom Modrak and chief operating officer Russ Brandon that Maybin was the edge pass rusher that the Bills needed.

should be encouraging that Nix wasn't a Maybin fan at #11
    Last edited by ddaryl; 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM.

• psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Don't call Maybin a bust.... Yet ! (article / quote)

Actually he moved into the Penn State lineup due to suspension (Maurice Evans).

I won't go over the arguments regarding if he's a bust or not. I am kind of wondering what Nix had say in during the last draft. RIGHT NOW, besides Maybin it looks to be one of the best drafts in a long time, with a nice core of talent.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• streetkings01
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ddaryl
      I thought these quotes from the article was kind of a tell tale sign on who had the most influential input on the Maybin pick... and it wasn't Nix IMO

should be encouraging that Nix wasn't a Maybin fan at #11
      Neither were 90% of Bills fans......the other 10% obviously were Penn St. homers!
      You can call me streetkings

Comment

• ddaryl
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by psubills62
        Actually he moved into the Penn State lineup due to suspension (Maurice Evans).

I won't go over the arguments regarding if he's a bust or not. I am kind of wondering what Nix had say in during the last draft. RIGHT NOW, besides Maybin it looks to be one of the best drafts in a long time, with a nice core of talent.

My guess is Maybin = No Nix input

Wood, Levitre, Byrd = Nix input

and my guess is Ralph and Russ saw who nix was recommendnig and who panned out this season and came to the quick conclusion that Nix was a top talent evaluator worthy of the GM position

Comment

• clumping platelets

Moulds took 2 yrs to blossom............give the kid some time

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

and my guess is Ralph and Russ saw who nix was recommendnig and who panned out this season and came to the quick conclusion that Nix was a top talent evaluator worthy of the GM position
            We can only hope.
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ddaryl
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by clumping platelets
              No doubt at this point. he is a Bill we have no choice, and I do sincerely hope he gets it.

the debate is we shouldn't have even considered him an option at #11 with Oher Orakpo on the board IMO

and the discussion here is did Nix have anything to do with Maybin @ #11 and my feelings are Nix was shunned from that choice

Comment

• Throne Logic
                Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                • Aug 2002

I'm thinking that Nix had input on all of them. It's just that he was over-ruled at times. i.e. Maybin. . .

But yes, I agree with you. His input was probably re-examined by the highest powers at OBD and that led toward the Nix promotion.
                Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Re: Don't call Maybin a bust.... Yet ! (Nix discussion) (article / quote)

Bust.

Useless.

No impact.

Comment

• don137
                    • Jul 2002

Interesting stuff...I do hope with the right coaching Maybin can excel. Maybe he can turn into a mini version of Joey Porter or Terrell Suggs. I am not banking on it but I am not giving up on him either.

With that said, what one year wonders are out there projected to be top 15 picks? I am guessing you cross them off the Bills list.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by don137
                      Interesting stuff...I do hope with the right coaching Maybin can excel. Maybe he can turn into a mini version of Joey Porter or Terrell Suggs. I am not banking on it but I am not giving up on him either.

With that said, what one year wonders are out there projected to be top 15 picks? I am guessing you cross them off the Bills list.

Honestly, looking at that quick top 32 prospect list, I don't see many one-year wonders. Of course, the combine could change a lot of things, but right now I see a lot of productivity in the top echelon of draft prospects.
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                        on a team already with Andre Reed and Thurman thomas. There were weapons there already so that's cool.

For a team as depleted and useless on the front 7 and instant, ready to go players available at 11, maybin was a bad pick.

surely maybin could be great, but a lot of taht depends on how much he weighs at the start of the season and which position they put him in.
                        if he comes in at LB weight again and the staff doesn't put him there, he is a bigger bust than Flowers.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by psubills62
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

Honestly, looking at that quick top 32 prospect list, I don't see many one-year wonders. Of course, the combine could change a lot of things, but right now I see a lot of productivity in the top echelon of draft prospects.

but that's when the Bills make their patented Donte Whitner move

thank god those days are over with... they are over with right ?? tell me there over with.... Oh tell me sweet lies

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

but that's when the Bills make their patented Donte Whitner move

thank god those days are over with... they are over with right ?? tell me there over with.... Oh tell me sweet lies
                            Don't worry, ddaryl, they're over!
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• madness
                              • Apr 2003

Nix actually had very little to do with last year's draft and he said it himself although I can't find the exact quote. He was hired in Feb. so at most all he could do was provide input at that point.

“I’ve got a lot of catching up to do for this draft, so now it’s kind of hectic trying to catch up,” Nix said. “Any way they decide I can help, I’ll do it. I know that’s kind of vague, but that’s the way it is. Whatever they want me to do that I can do to help, I will.”
                              What's also missed is that the Bills didn't pick Nix, Nix picked the Bills. He had multiple job offers when he came out of retirement.

Comment

Working...
                              X