PDA

View Full Version : Ch. 2 in Buffalo Reporting that Cowher wants to coach...

Ebenezer
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
News at 11 AM...

Cowher is assembling a staff and wants to coach this season. No news on what team, any meetings or anything concrete...just that what I said above.

LarryBoy
01-06-2010, 10:09 AM
:pray:

Throne Logic
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, at this point, there are not a whole lot of openings . . .

The Bills have been in the depths of football pooh for long enough. Perhaps it's time for a break. If the only way we can get Cowher is a combination of his burning desire to coach and OBD happens to have the only opening on the East Coast, well heck, I'll take that.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Good look, though that's not a huge secret.. He and Billick are both assemblying staffs.

But if he truly is, that definitely means he's at least thinking about getting back.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Damn it! I want some real, hard news about this. I'm getting to the point that if Cowher doesn't want to come to Buffalo then he should just say it, then we can move on and stop wondering if we have a shot.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Damn it! I want some real, hard news about this. I'm getting to the point that if Cowher doesn't want to come to Buffalo then he should just say it, then we can move on and stop wondering if we have a shot.

I just spoke with Sal on the phone comparing some notes. And we agreed, thus far Brandon and Scott Berchtold and the Bills have done a MASTERFUL job of not leaking anything from the Bills end at all and very closely guarding whatever they are up to.

A source I spoke to a while ago that at least usually has something, and is the guy that scooped me Hangartner last spring, has been able to find out absolutely NOTHING about the BIlls head coaching plans right now, nothing at all.

Iehoshua
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Exactly, put up or shut up.

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Cowher is going to probably wait and see what jobs open up after this weekend... If nothing happens We'll have him by the weekend afterwards...

If Dallas fires Wade that would be yet another gig the guy has lost after multiple winning seasons.... but would Cowher really want to work with Jerry Jones ?

other then that I would say the only job for Bill is Buffalo

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I just spoke with Sal on the phone comparing some notes. And we agreed, thus far Brandon and Scott Berchtold and the Bills have done a MASTERFUL job of not leaking anything from the Bills end at all and very closely guarding whatever they are up to.

A source I spoke to a while ago that at least usually has something, and is the guy that scooped me Hangartner last spring, has been able to find out absolutely NOTHING about the BIlls head coaching plans right now, nothing at all.

I hope it means that they are actually going to get it right this time, but I'm still skeptical.

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 10:19 AM

do you really think any person in a position like Cowher is not going to sit back and let the situation unfold for them. Cowher has no reason to be in a hurry, so if you really want a top coach your gonna have to be patient.. Waiting 3 days after the end of the season is not being patient at all. :pirate2:

ddaryl
01-06-2010, 10:21 AM

I like it... About time these guys started playing for real... This is the type of situation you have to guard some... messy leaks would probably discourage a candidate like Cowher...

elltrain22
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM

why are they being so hush-hush about this??? It's no secret that the guy is a wanted commodity, and that we're interested. Do ya think Cowher has obligations to CBS to be totally secrative about his intentions??

Philagape
01-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Does WGRZ have its own sources, or are they parroting La Canfora's blog from yesterday?

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Does WGRZ have its own sources, or are they parroting La Canfora's blog from yesterday?

Im thinking its a parroting move.

When they have something they always say "a source told me" like Ed Kilgore reported about Billick last night/this morning.

Mike in Syracuse
01-06-2010, 10:31 AM

The fact that NOTHING is leaking means that they are working their plan to perfection and not acting like amateurs at OBD.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
The fact that NOTHING is leaking means that they are working their plan to perfection and not acting like amateurs at OBD.

Assuming the plan is the one many hope it is, then I totally agree with you.

trapezeus
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
this whole process has been really eye opening in terms of how the media works. Literally, the big fish will jump on little fish breaks and use pure speculation as a reason to "break a story".

This is probably how it works in regards to regular news as well. Very sad. It's about moving first than getting it right.

We're suckers for wanting it so badly, but watching how a large news station like ESPN can cite Sal so they break the news is odd. Sal said it was on good authority, but why did ESPN need to get involved? He already told us the news. ESPN getting involved makes it seem more real than even Sal admitted.

Then they use their people to tell the exact opposite story just to cover all bases. And then they report on the hubbub of speculation. It's annoying for sports...it's probably sickening if you see it with geopolitical news.

Saratoga Slim
01-06-2010, 10:51 AM

I know it feels like forever, but the regular season ended on Sunday. That was only three days ago. Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of competition for the available coaches, I think it's OK that this isn't happening immediately. There's no real reason for Cowher OR us to make a snap hire.

But I get your general feeling of wanting this saga of internet rumor to be over.

BAM
01-06-2010, 10:55 AM
this whole process has been really eye opening in terms of how the media works. Literally, the big fish will jump on little fish breaks and use pure speculation as a reason to "break a story".

This is probably how it works in regards to regular news as well. Very sad. It's about moving first than getting it right.

We're suckers for wanting it so badly, but watching how a large news station like ESPN can cite Sal so they break the news is odd. Sal said it was on good authority, but why did ESPN need to get involved? He already told us the news. ESPN getting involved makes it seem more real than even Sal admitted.

Then they use their people to tell the exact opposite story just to cover all bases. And then they report on the hubbub of speculation. It's annoying for sports...it's probably sickening if you see it with geopolitical news.

Good post! Serious question here: And why don't these "sources" break the news themselves as opposed to passing it on to another person to break it for them?

buffalobillsfan95
01-06-2010, 11:11 AM
if we could get cowher would he bring dick leBeau with him?

Philagape
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM

It reminds me of All the President's Men, and what they did to get their sources to talk. "OK, I'm going to count to 10, and if you don't say anything, we're going with our story as is ...."

Demon
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Is it possible that they have nothing to hide and actually are just forming lists to interview, but actually have no plan of attack?

What a joke this has become.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Is it possible that they have nothing to hide and actually are just forming lists to interview, but actually have no plan of attack?

What a joke this has become.

Unfortunately, that is very possible.

hydro
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Good post! Serious question here: And why don't these "sources" break the news themselves as opposed to passing it on to another person to break it for them?

The same reason the people like Pat and Sal don't devulge their sources. They don't want to be outed.

BAM
01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
So the sources then are people within or tight with the Bills or player's / coach's organization?

trapezeus
01-06-2010, 11:51 AM
yeah, the sources need a distributor or they get discovered and less privy to information. For the most part, the most reliable thing came from Sal. And he said that came from Cowher's people.

my guess is the buffalo side is a super tight of people who actually know and they aren't saying anything. Everyone else who has normally gotten information either is left with nothing or is getting intentionally wrong information so that the news breaks the way it does. one day cowher is out, one minute he's in. the next second Billick is involved, the next millisecond he's gone.

Either the Bills PR team is brilliant, or truly the situation is very messed up and they are literally considering 1000 different things and have no idea which direction they want to go in.

billsburgh
01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
if we could get cowher would he bring dick leBeau with him?
LeBeau has already told his steeler players that he plans on returning next year.

Slim
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
So the sources then are people within or tight with the Bills or player's / coach's organization?

I know John McCargo/ Josh Reed and they know nothing. Even the players have no idea whats going on.

Ebenezer
01-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I know John McCargo/ Josh Reed and they know nothing. Even the players have no idea whats going on.
most of them didn't have a clue what was going on on the field either.