PDA

View Full Version : John Fox to Cleveland?

psubills62
01-06-2010, 12:57 PM
per rotoworld.com:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Carolina's John Fox is "very interested" in the possibility of being the Browns' head coach.

The Plain Dealer's Tony Grossi also says Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is willing to reach a settlement that would free Fox from the last year on his contract. Fox shares an agent, Bob LaMonte, with Browns president Mike Holmgren. Other LaMonte clients that could be in play for Cleveland include Marty Mornhinweg, Leslie Frazier, Mike Heimerdinger, and Mike Sherman.

Doubt this would be good for the Bills head coaching search.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Uhhh no

Michael82
Why would Fox want to work until both Mike Holmgren and whoever the team hires as a GM? It would be a big power struggle for him. And Holmgren will always have that itch to coach again...

Slim
WORST thing that could happen. I'm praying they keep Mangini.

Mudflap1
This is why things are taking so long with Cowher. If that story has legs, then Cowher has to see what happens in Carolina first, and everyone needs to see if Holmgren and Fox get along.

SquishDaFish
01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Please keep Mangini give him 1 more year :pray:

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
This is why things are taking so long with Cowher. If that story has legs, then Cowher has to see what happens in Carolina first, and everyone needs to see if Holmgren and Fox get along.

Yep

Slim
01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Who knows if Holmgren wants Fox though...

Demon
01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
WORST thing that could happen. I'm praying they keep Mangini.

Assuming we are seriously considering Cowher.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
For what it's worth...Tony Grossi is a hack.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Look guys, if Cowher would rather be somewhere else. Let him!

If you work in one place while your heart is somewhere else, do you think you are going to do a good job?

Mudflap1
01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
OK, so if we assume this story is real, then here is what is happening:

1. Cowher's first choice is Carolina.
2. Carolina would I'm sure prefer to get rid of Fox for Cowher, but they don't want to pay Cowher as the highest paid coach in the NFL (or close to it) and pay Fox severance. Richardson is somewhat cheap.
3. Therefore, Carolina and Fox have come up with an understanding that if Fox's agent can find a job for Fox somewhere else, then Richardson will settle up with Fox and go hire Cowher.
4. Fox would probably be fine with getting a fresh start somewhere else, knowing the Cowher talk is over his head in Carolina like a vulture.
5. The enigma is whether Cleveland a) will dump Mangini since Cleveland owes something like $20+ million to past GM's and head coaches already that aren't on staff anymore; b) would Holmgren hire someone like Fox over someone like Morninwheg or someone else that Mike worked with in Green Bay, Seattle, or San Francisco.
6. Whether Fox and Holmgren make any sense from a chemistry standpoint (related to #5 above). I could imagine Holmgren could be a tough guy to work for, especially if you never worked under him before.

So it's in Cleveland's hands to decide if they want Fox or not. That is why we don't know anything. We need Cleveland to go find somebody, and they can't interview Morninwheg because the Eagles play Saturday. So it is a logjam.

Jon

Ingtar33
01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
per rotoworld.com:

Doubt this would be good for the Bills head coaching search.

already was posted yesterday or the day before.

and the only way Cleveland can get Fox is if he's fired or they trade for him. I don't see the Browns trading draft picks and players to Carolina for a coach who will be available after next year.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I honestly think that if Mangini is fired, Mornhinwheg is the top choice in Cleveland.

Mudflap1

Well, that could be definitely the story also. The writer could be going with a half baked story. Either way, if there is some legitimacy to it, it would be enough to make Cowher wait and play things out.

Slim
That makes me feel better.

Michael82
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I know Mangini sucks...but the Browns won the last 4 games of the season. That should let him keep his job for 1 more year.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 01:19 PM
I know Mangini sucks...but the Browns won the last 4 games of the season. That should let him keep his job for 1 more year.

Holmgren's "legacy" is on the line, he wants his own guy.

Not saying its not Mangini, but I wouldnt blame him if he fired him.

Obviously, I hope he doesnt if it brings Fox into play

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-06-2010, 01:22 PM
If Holmgrem fires Mangini he could very well coach the team himself