PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Like a Thorough Search Before Naming A Coach

Night Train
01-06-2010, 02:23 PM
We have to take all these reports, speculation, twitters, lies etc with a grain of salt. Silence from OBD means everyone is guessing and no one has seen one card in the deck. I could care less about levels of credibility.

I suppose I'd worry more in other times, like Donahoe selling us Greggo or Mularkey (to keep his power after Cowher got him canned)...but I see Nix as making his selection for the right reason of getting this team headed in the right direction. Ralph should STFU and defer this hire to Nix completely, if $$ is truely no object. And if Ralph hasn't heard of him, then Nix should scream " I have ! " in his deaf ear.

Now whether I agree with the final selection or not is no matter to basically anyone but myself. Still, even if I disagree with the selection, I'll wait to see how the staff fills out and the schemes being planned before shooting the cannons at the Adm. bldg. at OBD.

Nix has been in football for 50 years and obviously knows talented players. He does not wish to see some stooge muck up his draft with poor gameday decisions and bad schemes. He shot straight at the presser in saying he liked big guys, suggesting he didn't agree with the finesse heavy roster we have now. His hire should reflect those views, I would guess.

I'm guessing the hire will be in another 1-2 weeks but it would seem this process isn't being hurried, much to the dismay of our instant gratification society.

Take your time, keep an open mind... but choose wisely, Buddy..

Michael82
01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Good post, Night Train! I'm also still one who believes that we are waiting on Bill Cowher, who is waiting on a definite "yes or no" from Carolina. But while they are waiting, there's no point to let it go to waste...so let's use the time and interview some of the candidates on the list. I think we will know Cowher's answer by next week.

shelby
01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Good posting. We are an impatient lot. i don't want to get stuck with another Williams, Mularkey, or Jauron. i hope the FO gets it right this time.
:pray:

Iehoshua
01-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Good posting. We are an impatient lot. i don't want to get stuck with another Williams, Mularkey, or Jauron. i hope the FO gets it right this time.
:pray:
10-year playoff drought for this team... "Patience" is no longer in the vernacular, nor should it be.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Why they are interviewing Frazier now is obvious; he's on their list and they have to do it this week.

I dont think he's going to get hired, I know im going to lose my mind if he does though

shelby
01-06-2010, 02:33 PM
This board will implode if the FO hires another no name coordinator from another team. Book it.

Michael82
01-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Why they are interviewing Frazier now is obvious; he's on their list and they have to do it this week.

I dont think he's going to get hired, I know im going to lose my mind if he does though

Exactly! Look for Rivera to get interviewed on Friday.

trapezeus
01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
if the bills do take cowher, and he wins for us, will this make you hate Donahoe even more and make him seem like an even bigger fraud than he was??

Ebenezer
01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Thorough search = lower echelon coach.

Michael82
01-06-2010, 02:43 PM

What are the Bills supposed to do to convince a big name coach to come here? Force him at gunpoint?

Saratoga Slim
01-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Or.....

Thorough search = we're covering our bases and lining up Plan Bs while waiting for Cowher, who is in turn waiting to see if any other surprise openings appear over the next week or two (like maybe Fox leaving for Cleveland, per that rotoworld report).

Ebenezer
01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
What are the Bills supposed to do to convince a big name coach to come here? Force him at gunpoint?
that is the point Michael...if they can't get a big name coach (there are only so many) soon then it will have to be somebody else...and the longer it goes on the lower the candidate...

Ebenezer
01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Or.....

Thorough search = we're covering our bases and lining up Plan Bs while waiting for Cowher to see if Fox REALLY stays at Carolina (or possibly jumps ship to Cleveland as rotoworld reported is possible)
this is the Bills we are talking about...

but seriously, I can agree with that statement...not much confidence in it but I can agree.

Michael82
01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
that is the point Michael...if they can't get a big name coach (there are only so many) soon then it will have to be somebody else...and the longer it goes on the lower the candidate...

I disagree...the longer it goes on...the better the chance is to get a good coordinator, because his team would be going far in the playoffs.

Luisito23
01-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Only way it will happen...:ill:

Night Train
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
10-year playoff drought for this team... "Patience" is no longer in the vernacular, nor should it be.

Right.

Hurry up and hire the wrong guy, just to appease the shiny object crowd.

I just checked the schedule for February and can't locate any games.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
This board will implode if the FO hires another no name coordinator from another team. Book it.

As well they should...it signals that this organization only cares about being cheap and not making things right.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:53 PM
As well they should...it signals that this organization only cares about being cheap and not making things right.

Yes because never could a coordinator become a successful HC.

Hiring the lesser known candidate does not mean we are automatically hiring the worst candidate.

PECKERWOOD
01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Haha, interviewing all these high profile coaches is probably just one big illusion by the grand master architect of all illusionists, Russ Brandon. Watch, we're going to sign Mike Tice or Steve Mariucci to run this franchise.

Canadian'eh!
01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Well Ralph has really painted himself into a corner it seems.

I think he and Brandon think they are quite smart alluding that they are "big game" hunting for a HC. I'm sure if they fail to land one they will deny every trying to hire one, but essentially the reports are too strong that they did indeed TRY for them to deny it and expect us to believe them.

the problem?

If they can't get a top shelf coach, then we KNOW one of 2 things.

1- Ralph was too cheap to get a top coach. And therefore only insulted them with lowball offers that they played along with to create a better market for themselves.

or

2- Ralph's reputation as a meddler and not being willing to pay the kind of money it takes to field a winning team has reached throughout the league and has effective made anyone with any options absolutely refuse to work for him.

Either way, if they can't land a top head coach, we can be 100% positive that they officially have ruined the franchise until Ralph is gone. Unless of course they get extremely "lucky", something they haven't been since the early 90's or possibly never were.

TigerJ
01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
The only qualifier I would add to your post, Night Train, is this: If the Bills end up with a head coach who is currently serving as a coordinator of a playoff team, it could take longer than two weeks.

justasportsfan
01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
i agree from a fans view. nix on the other hand shouldn't rush. he needs to do a thorough job and rushing things won't achieve that.

BigZ
01-06-2010, 08:52 PM
i agree from a fans view. nix on the other hand shouldn't rush. he needs to do a thorough job and rushing things won't achieve that.

I wanted something done on Monday and, as it turned out, spent way too much time on these pages hoping for it.

That being said, Nix needs to interview everyone in case Cowher doesn't come here. Frasier, Grimm, Billick, and both Schottenheimers were on almost everyone's lists. Grimm and young Schottenheimer can't interview until their teams lose. Arizona is favored to win, the Jets to lose. If that happens, we can interview Brian S next week. If Grimm is on the list that they definitely want to talk to, we will probably need to wait a couple of weeks.

As much as I hate to say it and as difficult as it may be to accomplish, we all need to cool it and relax.

Unless they announce Cowher as the new HC tomorrow:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: