PDA

View Full Version : DraftBoy Mock Draft V1.2

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
1. St. Louis Rams: Ndamakong Suh DT, Nebraska
I know QB is the popular pick for the Rams who severely lack talent at just about every position but I can’t see them passing on Suh right now. Suh is far and away the top player in this draft and even though St. Louis has tried to fix their DL countless times (Chris Long, Adam Carriker namely) they don’t have a guy of Suh’s caliber. Suh is a game changer from the DT position and that’s saying a lot.

2. Detroit Lions: Gerald McCoy DT, Oklahoma
Detroit fans will be disappointed if they lose out in Suh. They are praying that Bradford/Clausen can prove that they are healthy at the combine and persuade St. Louis to take one of them and give them the dominant Suh. McCoy is not a bad second option in any way though. He has similar abilities to Suh and maybe just slightly less athleticism. He is strong and powerful and doesn’t stop attacking the ball.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
First year QB Josh Freeman got broken in this year and Raheem Morris will certainly want to give Freeman more protection in this draft. Okung is the top rated OT in this class as he excels as both a run blocker and in pass protection. He is the franchise type bookend that you grab if you have a chance at him.

4. Washington Redskins: QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Mike Shannahan has two options, he can take a QB now and groom him for the future or he can keep Jason Campbell for a year and see what’s available next draft/off season. I personally don’t see either Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen as top 10 talents, let alone top 5, but the Redskins need a QB and I think they may risk it and go after Bradford here.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Dez Bryant, WR Oklahoma State
Matt Cassel was a disaster, and Scott Pioli does not look good for taking Cassel and giving him a huge deal. Pioli has a big decision to make in does he keep Cassel for another year and hope that adding a weapon like Bryant will improve Cassel, or does he take a new QB admit he made a mistake and swallow the cap hit. In this scenario I think he takes the added weapon, though I think that means we will be seeing KC pick in the top 10 again in 2011.

6. Seattle Seahawks: Jimmy Clausen QB, Notre Dame
Jim Mora may just do a flip if one of the top two QB’s falls to him. Yes Clausen has a bad turf toe injury that is requiring surgery, yes he has an ego, and yes he was very successful at Notre Dame. Jimmy Clausen can make all the NFL throws, and has the accuracy that make scouts drool in workouts. However his decision making is subpar, and he tendency to throw the ball up when under duress will not work in the NFL, and especially not in Seattle where he has fewer offensive weapons then when he was at Notre Dame.

7. Cleveland Browns: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
Through sure bad luck and the emergence of a potential new RB, Cleveland picks 7th overall. They get a gift though as arguably the #2 player in the draft falls all the way to #7. Cleveland could use some back end help. Their DB’s combined for 9 INT’s which is 2nd worst in the NFL. Berry is a playmaker who can break on the ball and help in run support. He is a solid foundation player to build upon in Cleveland.

8. Oakland Raiders: Bruce Campbell OT, Maryland
Bruce Campbell is a physical freak and we all know Al Davis loves physical specimens. Campbell could be the kind of combine player who both sets the bench press mark for OT’s and runs the fastest 40. That alone would be enough for Davis to pull the trigger on the raw Campbell. Campbell has probably the highest ceiling of all the OT’s but he also has quite a ways to go as well.

9. Buffalo Bills: Navarro Bowman, LB, Penn State
Buffalo’s LB core last year was bad, and by that I mean that at times I could of ran past them. The question is does Buffalo go with an OLB and leave Poz in the middle or do they take an MLB and move Poz outside? Well with McClain not currently declared for the 2010 NFL draft that pick was made easy by taking Navarro Bowman. Bowman has incredible speed and size for his position and loves to hit. His is superbly athletic and can go sideline to sideline. He’s just what the Bills doctor ordered.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Jacksonville has a number of directions they can go here. Their pass defense ranked 27th last season and they could really use an upgrade there. Joe Haden is a downright playmaker on the corner. He is a physical style corner who can get up in the face of a WR and jam or play off and make a break on the ball. He will really help Jacksonville get over the edge.

11. Denver Broncos (via Chicago): Golden Tate WR, Notre Dame
Brandon Marshall is a headache and I don’t expect him to be in Denver next year. McDaniels will have to replace him and Golden Tate makes plenty of sense. While he’s similar to Royal in size and ability, he is a more experienced over the middle WR, and should combine with Royal to give defenses headaches.

12. Miami Dolphins: Jerry Hughes DE/OLB, TCU
Miami needs to find some young blood from the outside rush as both Porter and Taylor are long in the tooth. Hughes is the perfect fit as he is a lighting quick rusher off the edge and provides the ability to both play the stand up LB or the hand down DE from a versatility stand point.

13. San Francisco 49ers: Anthony Davis OT, Rutgers
Alex Smith has finally begun to emerge as a legit NFL QB, and with Frank Gore and Glen Coffee running the ball, Singletary has to find Smith more time to find Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree. Anthony Davis is a very good pick here.

14. Seattle Seahawks (via Denver): Brandon LaFell WR, LSU
Seattle took Clausen earlier in this draft, now they have to get him some more weapons. LaFell was the top Senior WR this year and is a great fit in Seattle. He can learn a lot from Housh and could flourish.

15. New York Giants: Dan Williams, DT, Tennesee
Fred Robbins is aging and Rocky Benard is not the ideal #3 rotational DT that the Giants would like at this point. With a defense that struggled last season Williams would be a great rotational add in to relieve Alford on passing downs and really attack the QB.

16. Tennessee Titans: Brian Price, DT, UCLA
Albert Haynesworth is gone and they missed him this season. While Tennesse had a solid running defense, they were not good in pass defense, struggling to get pressure on the QB consistently. Price is a very good pass rushing DT who when teamed with Jason Jones could provide a dynamic rush.

17. San Francisco 49ers (via Carolina): Taylor Mays, FS, USC
Mike Singletary loved to hit, so it makes sense that he would take one of the biggest boppers in this draft class. Mays may not come in from Day 1 and start but if he learns his position a little better and refines his coverage techniques this once thought of top 10 lock could be a steal for San Fran.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: C.J Spiller RB, Clemson
Willie Parker has lost a step and while Mendenhall was a 1000 yard rusher this season, Pittsburgh offense could use an infusion of game breaking ability and that’s exactly what Spiller brings. He is arguably a top 5-10 talent but because the NFL is no longer a run dominant league his value is diminished. Steeler fans will love the way this kid flys.

19. Atlanta Falcons: Charles Brown, OT, USC
Everybody thinks Atlanta will go D with this pick, they need LB help, they need DE help, they need CB help. Well you know what they need most of all? A friggin OT to protect Matt Ryan’s backside. Brown is an athletic OT who can get out in front of speed rushers and help protect Ryan and give Michael Turner some more holes.

20. Houston Texans: Mike Iupati OG, Idaho
Its always a tough call when you have a guard like Iupati in a class like this. Iupati is a hell of a drive blocker and is almost impossible to move when he anchors. I openly admit this may not even be Houston’s biggest need but he is of great value here and would help to cement their OL and give Schaub even more time.

21. Baltimore Ravens: Brandon Spikes LB, Florida
Ray Lewis V2.0? That’s how many view Spikes, who lacks elite athleticism, but loves to hit and punish opposing players. Spikes is an active middle LB and is a little dirty. But who doesn’t want this in a LB? Spikes is plain and simple a no nonsense LB with a nose for the ball.

22. New York Jets: Ricky Sapp, LB, Clemson
The Jets have Calvin Pace on one edge but lack a compliment to the other. We all know Rex Ryan is a defense first guy so I expect him to snap up Ricky Sapp here. Sapp is on the same level as Hughes when it comes to quickness off the edge and he has good size for the OLB spot. He is still raw and will take some time but he could be a real find this late.

23. Arizona Cardinals: Trent Williams OT, Oklahoma
Trent Williams was at one time considered the top OT in this class, but this past year injuries and inconsistency derailed him from that spot. What is his loss though is Arizona’s gain. Arizona could use a potential LT to complement Levi Brown on the RT. Williams has all the ability if Russ Grimm can mold him like he has in the past, Arizona could have two franchise bookends.

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Terrence Cody NT, Alabama
Cody is one of the hardest prospects to rate in this draft. At his size he shows incredible athleticism and skill, but he also is somewhat pigeon holed as strictly a 3-4 NT. While lots of teams run the 3-4, the rave right now is to get the uber quick OLB over the NT. Hence why Cody fell, because when he is motivated he is one of the most disruptive forces in football, however “when he is motivated” is the key phrase.

25. New England Patriots: Everson Griffin DE, USC
Richard Seymour is gone, Ty Warren has some injury issues and frankly I'm not a big fan of the rest of their DE's. Everson Griffin is a Junior who declared thinking he had a shot to be a top pick, but in reality I don’t see him going much higher than this right now, which is good thing for him going into a situation where the team around him is already stellar. He'll need to add some weight to his frame but I like him a lot as a possible 3-4 DE.

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Graham DE, Michigan
Graham has a lot of versatility to bring to any defense. He can line up inside or outside and he will only help players like Cole and Parker get breaks. Graham could also easily transition outside to a 3-4 OLB when Philly goes with that formation as well. Graham is relentless in his pursuit and loves to slam the QB to the turf.

27. Dallas Cowboys: Mardy Gilyard WR, Cincinnati
Roy Williams has been an epic fail in Dallas. For what they traded for him they needed to expect and get better. Right now Miles Austin is the #1 target for Tony Romo and while Jason Witten certainly helps they could really use a compliment to Austin. Enter Cincy’s do everything player in Mardy Gilyard. Gilyard will give OC Jason Garrett options about what he wants to offensively as Gilyard can line up wide, or in the slot, as well taking the direct snap in the wildcat.

28. Green Bay Packers: Selvish Capers OT, West Viginia
Capers has quietly made a name for himself in the Big East by being a huge driving force ahead of Noel Devine. He has plowed through opposing DE’s and cleared lanes of would be tacklers. Capers has the athleticism to pull outside and also be a lead blocker on a sweep play.

29. Minnesota Vikings: Kyle Wilson CB, Boise State
Antoine Winfield is one of my favorite CB’s of all time, but he is getting older and injuries are catching up with him. Kyle Wilson is the perfect type of a replacement. He may have a little swagger in his game, but he backs it up. He loves to be challenged and wants to play the other teams #1 WR, one on one. He is a playmaker who will gamble, but he is also a solid tackler and is not afraid to make a hit.

30. San Diego Chargers: Greg Hardy OLB, Ole Miss
Hardy is somewhat of an enigma in the NCAA. A guy who three years ago was one of the biggest hyped prospects and thought of as a sure first top half pick in the 1st Round, now is a borderline 1st Rounder. Injuries have really hurt Hardy as he has been forced to play at less than 100% and it has shown. When he is healthy he makes place and that something San Diego would be counting on, him to get healthy and eventually take over for Merriman.

31. New Orleans Saints: Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
The Saints have invested three current 1st Round draft picks in their defensive line (Will Smith, Charles Grant, and Sedrick Ellis) they have yet another 1st Round pick in CB Micheal Jenkins, so why does their D still stink? They need to get a linebacker who can make plays from sideline to sideline. Weatherspoon is that type of a player. He has good football instincts and has the speed to fit into New Orleans very well.

32. Indianapolis Colts: Arthur Jones, DT, Syracus
Jones is a very intriguing prospect, because he’s really only a 4-3 DT prospect. He is a little short to be an ideal 3-4 DE, like some 4-3 DT’s become and he definitely doesn’t have the weight to play the NT in the 3-4. So with more and more teams going to the 3-4 Jones’s stock is harder and harder to pinpoint. He is arguable a top 25 talent but he will fall because many of the lower picking teams have switched to the 3-4.

Same rules as always, and some changes based on some information gathered.

T-Long
01-06-2010, 03:29 PM
As a die hard Nittany Lion fan, I am a big fan of Bowman. I do though however think that McClain will declare (no reason he shouldn't considering he would be a top 15 pick and already has the right mindset for the NFL) and I think the Bills will nab him at 9...that is if the tackle they want is no longer there.

BILLSROCK1212
01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Rumor has it Shanhan will stick to Campbell for a year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a Trent Edwards and draft a mid-level QB in the 3rd.

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Brian Price is a wizard who can create a mirror image of himself, enabling him to be drafted twice and therefore, garner two multi-million dollar contracts. :D

T-Long
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Rumor has it Shanhan will stick to Campbell for a year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a Trent Edwards and draft a mid-level QB in the 3rd.
Just by sticking with Campbell in 2010 doesnt mean they won't take a QB in the draft. A rookie picked that high doesn't always have to start (see Carson Palmer)

PECKERWOOD
01-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Bowman?? Wtf, dude?

psubills62
01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
1. I'd love to get Bowman. Draft Sean Lee in the later rounds and we could have a whole PSU reunion! Boy, would people be pissed about that though. I can see it now "what do we need more slow, mediocre PSU LB's for??"

2. You've got Brian Price on there twice (#16, #32)

3. Did you forget to look up how many sacks the Eagles got this year? Left a blank there.

There's a couple ways I could see these things going differently, but that will always happen. Nice job, otherwise.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Brian Price is a wizard who can create a mirror image of himself, enabling him to be drafted twice and therefore, garner two multi-million dollar contracts. :D

That was supposed to be Arthur Jones, its fixed now. Stupid work keeps making me pause and pick it up again. Good catch though.

Canadian'eh!
01-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Can we stay away from Penn St LB's please? LB U my ass. Arrington was overrated, Poz ins't really impressing me that much....

USC LB make better Pros.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
1. I'd love to get Bowman. Draft Sean Lee in the later rounds and we could have a whole PSU reunion! Boy, would people be pissed about that though. I can see it now "what do we need more slow, mediocre PSU LB's for??"

2. You've got Brian Price on there twice (#16, #32)

3. Did you forget to look up how many sacks the Eagles got this year? Left a blank there.

There's a couple ways I could see these things going differently, but that will always happen. Nice job, otherwise.

1. I like Bowman alot
2. Fixed
3. Fixed, again work distracted me. I was writing something and forgot to change it, when what I thought was correct wasn't. Not changing the pick though, just the reasoning.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Can we stay away from Penn St LB's please? LB U my ass. Arrington was overrated, Poz ins't really impressing me that much....

USC LB make better Pros.

I dont really care where a player went to school it matters very very little.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:49 PM
As a die hard Nittany Lion fan, I am a big fan of Bowman. I do though however think that McClain will declare (no reason he shouldn't considering he would be a top 15 pick and already has the right mindset for the NFL) and I think the Bills will nab him at 9...that is if the tackle they want is no longer there.

When or If he declares then Ill have a decision to make, but right now Bowman the pick though he could go to Oakland ahead of us and give us Campbell. Im a lot happier with our draft position now than I was about a month ago.

ZAZusmc03
01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
The fact that you have Bowman takin before McClain is insane to me, but I do understand you saying he hasnt declared Bowman would be the choice. I am pretty sure he will declare tho, and if so, you have to put McClain as top LB taking.

Dr. Pepper
01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
poz, maybin and now this dude?

i dont get to watch much PSU, but ill take DB's word for it. much better than the first mock draft IMO, which had us taking Dez i believe...

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
poz, maybin and now this dude?

i dont get to watch much PSU, but ill take DB's word for it. much better than the first mock draft IMO, which had us taking Dez i believe...

It would still have us taking Dez if he were available too.

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
The fact that you have Bowman takin before McClain is insane to me, but I do understand you saying he hasnt declared Bowman would be the choice. I am pretty sure he will declare tho, and if so, you have to put McClain as top LB taking.

I dont have Bowman being taken before McClain...

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Bowman ???? You have really lost it. That is your best one yet.
You better stop drinking before you make these mocks.

patmoran2006
01-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Yeah as someone else said, Shanahan spoke GLOWINGLY about Campbell yesterday, I dont think Washington goes QB with the 4th pick anymore.

Dont know if that makes one fall to Buffalo or 9 or not, but if thats what the Bills want, that helps.

I dont know enough about Bowman to offer insight, but he better be a hell of a LB to pass up on LT for

don137
01-07-2010, 08:01 AM
I am very very reluctant to taking any Penn State guy these days in the first couple rounds after the mediocrity of Poz and the impact of Maybin.

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Bowman is a Jauron/Levy type pick. Hopefully we are past and over that.

They are not taking Bowman #9 unless it is in round #3.

yordad
01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I thought Navarro Bowman was an early second rounder. :idunno:

Mahdi
01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I can almost guarantee that no matter what system we go with defensively Bowman will not be our first round pick.

In fact, I doubt Bowman goes to anyone in the first round.

There are too many good OL, DE and 3-4 OLB, 3-4 ILB prospects this year as well as a few first round WRs for a smallish 4-3 LB to be taken in the first.

I don't think Bowman compares too well to Aaron Curry and Keith Rivers. And they only got drafted so high because they were exceptional players.

The view the league has these days is that the value of a 4-3 LB is very low compared to other positions, especially in the cap era.

That is why guys like Maualuga, Poz, Laurinitis, Dan Connor, Tim Shaw etc. have been picked in the second round or later rather than the projected 1st round grades they were getting (not Shaw).

4-3 teams are valuing DEs way higher than 4-3 OLBs and 3-4 teams are valuing rushers way higher as well as ILB prospects.

Bowman is not Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis so picking him at #9 does not fit his value bracket.

clumping platelets
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
I agree with DB :eek:

SABURZFAN
01-07-2010, 08:43 AM
if the Bills do draft this guy, i hope he gets on the field more than.... uh.... who did they draft last year?

clumping platelets
01-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Moulds did not play much his first year

SABURZFAN
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Moulds did not play much his first year

did the Bills have nearly 40% of their roster on IR in Moulds rookie year?

kernowboy
01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
In most mocks I've seen Bowman as being a 3rd rounder especially due to his character issues.

My take would be:-

1. Rams - Clausen
Suh might be the best player in the draft but with the decline of Bulger, they have a desperate need for a QB and having drafted Smith last year, I cannot see them passing on a franchise QB

2. Lions - Suh
With a horrible DL interior, the Lions take 1sec to name Suh

3. Bucs - McCoy
They wanted Suh but McCoy is a more than adequate alternative. Donald Penn will be resigned

4. Redskins - Bradford
Despite the noises about Campbell, Snyder won't let Bradford fall any further

5. Chiefs - Okung
With so much invested in Cassels, Pioli will want to keep him upright

6. Seahawks - Haden
With more junior OTs declaring, the Seahawks address their desperate need in the secondary with the top shutdown CB available

7. Browns - Bryant
Unable to replace Quinn, they at least need to give him someone to throw the ball to

8. Raiders - Berry
Al Davis finally drafts smart and replaces the Michael Huff disaster, though he is tempted to go after Taylor Mays

9. Bills - Bruce Campbell
Buddy Nix recently spoke of his team's quarterbacks: "If they're good enough, they'll have a chance to be here ... It's hard to throw when you're lying on your back." - enough said

10. Jaguars - Tebow
The Jags cannot sell out when their team is winning, they need to draft a local hero

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
In most mocks I've seen Bowman as being a 3rd rounder especially due to his character issues.

My take would be:-

1. Rams - Clausen
Suh might be the best player in the draft but with the decline of Bulger, they have a desperate need for a QB and having drafted Smith last year, I cannot see them passing on a franchise QB

2. Lions - Suh
With a horrible DL interior, the Lions take 1sec to name Suh

3. Bucs - McCoy
They wanted Suh but McCoy is a more than adequate alternative. Donald Penn will be resigned

4. Redskins - Bradford
Despite the noises about Campbell, Snyder won't let Bradford fall any further

5. Chiefs - Okung
With so much invested in Cassels, Pioli will want to keep him upright

6. Seahawks - Haden
With more junior OTs declaring, the Seahawks address their desperate need in the secondary with the top shutdown CB available

7. Browns - Bryant
Unable to replace Quinn, they at least need to give him someone to throw the ball to

8. Raiders - Berry
Al Davis finally drafts smart and replaces the Michael Huff disaster, though he is tempted to go after Taylor Mays

9. Bills - Bruce Campbell
Buddy Nix recently spoke of his team's quarterbacks: "If they're good enough, they'll have a chance to be here ... It's hard to throw when you're lying on your back." - enough said

10. Jaguars - Tebow
The Jags cannot sell out when their team is winning, they need to draft a local hero

Bowman does not leave Happy Valley if he is graded out as a 3rd Rounder, he doesnt leave if he is graded out as a 2nd Rounder. Why would anybody do that? Even with a rookie cap next season he would make more in Round 1 then he would in Round 3. It makes no sense, unless he was given a first team grade, plus with his abilties and the way he will workout come the combine there is no doubt his stock is heading up.

Plus one of the most accurate CFB insiders (Joe Schad) said that Bowman is projected as a 1st Round pick.

While 4-3 LB's are down in value, they still have high value to 4-3 teams like NYG, BUF, MIN, and such. Until we officially switch to a 3-4, I can't base a mock on what might or might not happen. Which is why I dont include any Jr till they declare.

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
That's good, as long as he isn't Buffalo's 1st rd. pick.

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
That's good, as long as he isn't Buffalo's 1st rd. pick.

You want to give a reason, why you don't like him?

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
You want to give a reason, why you don't like him?

Sure will, If they are gonna go lber it had better be McClain. And I like Spikes more than Bowman, and I think Spikes may fall into rd. 2.

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Sure will, If they are gonna go lber it had better be McClain. And I like Spikes more than Bowman, and I think Spikes may fall into rd. 2.

We need both MLB and OLB. McClain and Spikes are both MLB's not OLB's.

McClain is not available for this draft currently.

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
He will be available in 24 hrs.

Bowman is not #9 value. If we can get him in the 3rd I'm all for it.

McClain or Spikes in 2nd and move Poz outside, where he should be anyways.

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
He will be available in 24 hrs.

Bowman is not #9 value. If we can get him in the 3rd I'm all for it.

McClain or Spikes in 2nd and move Poz outside, where he should be anyways.

You think he's going to announce within 24 hours? Id say it takes a little longer and if they lose he may not leave.

Spikes might be availble in Round 2, but there is no way McClain would be if he declares.

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I never said McClain would be available in the 2nd rd, but Spikes may.
And I don't care when he anounces it but he will and if we go lb at #9 it had better be him.

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I never said McClain would be available in the 2nd rd, but Spikes may.
And I don't care when he anounces it but he will and if we go lb at #9 it had better be him.

You said and I quote;

McClain or Spikes in the 2nd and move Poz Outside.

Again I fully expect McClain to announce and when he does he is my first choice at LB. However until he does, he won't be in this mock, so dicussion of him is rather pointless.

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
JC if you took it like that I will correct it for you, Spikes may fall to rd.2 to, McClain will DEFINITELY not fall out of rd.1.

How's that. Can you follow ?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
have u guys seen brian price, hes literal clone of warren sapp and russell maryland... he should be the bills pick

Mahdi
01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Bowman does not leave Happy Valley if he is graded out as a 3rd Rounder, he doesnt leave if he is graded out as a 2nd Rounder. Why would anybody do that? Even with a rookie cap next season he would make more in Round 1 then he would in Round 3. It makes no sense, unless he was given a first team grade, plus with his abilties and the way he will workout come the combine there is no doubt his stock is heading up.

Plus one of the most accurate CFB insiders (Joe Schad) said that Bowman is projected as a 1st Round pick.

While 4-3 LB's are down in value, they still have high value to 4-3 teams like NYG, BUF, MIN, and such. Until we officially switch to a 3-4, I can't base a mock on what might or might not happen. Which is why I dont include any Jr till they declare.
4-3 LBs are down in value to 4-3 teams as well. Like I said, salary cap era has GMs more interested in getting 4 playmakers on their DL plus depth, then going after shut down CBs and playmaking safeties before they go after 4-3 LBs. Unless they are special players they just get passed over to the second round.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2010, 12:11 PM
the bills will either take bulugua or price , they must address the talent on the lines.... i see the bills taking a qb in rd 2 or 3 to groom behind a vet....

Bert102176
01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
I would like Dez he's an amazing WR

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2010, 02:06 PM
brian price should be the pick, we must stop the run and rush the passer....

PECKERWOOD
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd even take Joe Haden over Navarro Bowman. Give me Bulaga, Tate, Anthony Davis, CJ Spiller or Brandon Spikes over Bowman.

Mahdi
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd even take Joe Haden over Navarro Bowman. Give me Bulaga, Tate, Anthony Davis, CJ Spiller or Brandon Spikes over Bowman.
Agreed except for Tate.

I would also throw in Hughes, Hardy, Benn, Cody, Graham, Wootton, Kindle, Selvie, Pierre-Paul, Romeous, Trent Williams, Dan Williams, Schofield, Norwood, Lafell and Weatherspoon.

yordad
01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

While 4-3 LB's are down in value, they still have high value to 4-3 teams like NYG, BUF, MIN, and such. Until we officially switch to a 3-4, I can't base a mock on what might or might not happen. Which is why I dont include any Jr till they declare.He already has his degree, and he has mouths to feed. He literally cannot wait another year.

yordad
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Also, worth noting I think McClain could play OLB too, and may even project better there.

psubills62
01-07-2010, 02:52 PM

Not surprising that people hate the Bowman pick, DB.

I'd love to know how many people on here have actually watched him. Bowman is a guy who loves to tackle. He has great form and players RARELY escape him. He's a more than competent blitzer and great in run defense. Bowman is one of the best LB's in the draft, whether people want to admit it or not.

Maybe his 17.0 TFL and 3.0 sacks in 11 games could attest to that. Compared to Spikes' 6.0 TFL in 12 games...

And as far as the value of the LB's goes, anyone ever think that's the MAIN reason why our run D was so horrible this year? I know several knowledgeable people have mentioned specifically that the DL was good this year, but the LB's were bad. Maybe we should put a little bit of value on the LB during a draft, instead of always going for 5th rounders that never pan out.

THATHURMANATOR
01-07-2010, 02:59 PM
did the Bills have nearly 40% of their roster on IR in Moulds rookie year?
Did the Bills have 40% of their Defensive ends on IR this season?

THATHURMANATOR
01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
From the sense I get from Nix he will go line.

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree. I wouldn't mind at all if we took McClain in rd. 1, or Spikes in rd. 2, or Bowman in rd.3.
Any of the three at those spots filled in with o and d-lineman.

Unless claussen happens to fall to #9.

PECKERWOOD
01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Not surprising that people hate the Bowman pick, DB.

I'd love to know how many people on here have actually watched him. Bowman is a guy who loves to tackle. He has great form and players RARELY escape him. He's a more than competent blitzer and great in run defense. Bowman is one of the best LB's in the draft, whether people want to admit it or not.

Maybe his 17.0 TFL and 3.0 sacks in 11 games could attest to that. Compared to Spikes' 6.0 TFL in 12 games...

And as far as the value of the LB's goes, anyone ever think that's the MAIN reason why our run D was so horrible this year? I know several knowledgeable people have mentioned specifically that the DL was good this year, but the LB's were bad. Maybe we should put a little bit of value on the LB during a draft, instead of always going for 5th rounders that never pan out.

So anybody who doesn't like the Bowman pick hasn't watched him play? Got to love the posters who are willing to character assassinate in order to seem more knowledgeable than others. I'd consider taking him in the 2nd, but even then I may be tempted to wait until the 3rd for Bowman. Our offense should be our #1 priority coming into the draft and reaching for a guy who can likely be had in the 2nd or even 3rd round is bogus, not to mention that we may be running the 3-4, at least if you looked at Nix's history, nearly every place he has been has ran the 3-4, so why would it be any different here?

psubills62
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
So anybody who doesn't like the Bowman pick hasn't watched him play? Got to love the posters who are willing to character assassinate in order to seem more knowledgeable than others. I'd consider taking him in the 2nd, but even then I may be tempted to wait until the 3rd for Bowman. Our offense should be our #1 priority coming into the draft and reaching for a guy who can likely be had in the 2nd or even 3rd round is bogus, not to mention that we may be running the 3-4, at least if you looked at Nix's history, nearly every place he has been has ran the 3-4, so why would it be any different here?

Or maybe I was just wondering? Considering most people on here get their information from "Poz and Maybin went to PSU, so no more PSU players," it's a pretty reasonable question. Especially when Spikes, who didn't look that good this season, is mentioned as a candidate over Bowman.

Haha Bowman MAY last until the second round, but I seriously doubt it. Absolutely no way he'd last until the third. I understand LB's aren't high value compared to other positions, but that's devaluing him and the LB position way too much.

Mahdi
01-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Or maybe I was just wondering? Considering most people on here get their information from "Poz and Maybin went to PSU, so no more PSU players," it's a pretty reasonable question. Especially when Spikes, who didn't look that good this season, is mentioned as a candidate over Bowman.

Haha Bowman MAY last until the second round, but I seriously doubt it. Absolutely no way he'd last until the third. I understand LB's aren't high value compared to other positions, but that's devaluing him and the LB position way too much.
You think Bowman is that much better than Poz was coming out or Dan Connor?

Ingtar33
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Poz was a better player then Conner and Bowman at PSU

Mr. Pink
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
If McClain does not declare and the Bills decide to go LB....

Brandon Spikes should be the pick.

Of course they should entertain offers to move down a little in this case.

psubills62
01-07-2010, 04:34 PM

I personally believe Bowman's style projects well to the NFL. He is very good at stopping the run and there aren't many weaknesses to his game. Good blitzer, good instincts, good speed, great tackling form, decent in coverage, etc. He should go in the first round, imo.

Mahdi
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Exactly. Which is why I think Bowman will go no higher than the second round.

Marcus Freeman is a very good example of another good college 4-3 LB dropping.

Bowman might be better than Freeman but not by so much that it puts him into the first, let alone the 9th overall pick.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
please stop with this bowman stuff, he will be a 2nd or 3rd pick, the guy we need is either buluga or price we need talent on the lines........

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Exactly. Which is why I think Bowman will go no higher than the second round.

Marcus Freeman is a very good example of another good college 4-3 LB dropping.

Bowman might be better than Freeman but not by so much that it puts him into the first, let alone the 9th overall pick.

Freeman is nowhere near Bowman in terms of talent.

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Yes he was but Bowman has a higher ceiling potential wise then either Connor or Poz.

X-Era
01-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Exactly, Freeman couldnt even stick on our PS.

Mahdi
01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes I realize Bowman is more talented. But when Freeman was coming out he was considered the 3rd or 4th best 4-3 LB in the draft. Then he got drafted in the 5th round.

My point at the end of the day has less to do with Bowman and more to do with the other choices available in the draft.

Most GMs will take A DE, DT, QB, WR, TE, Rush OLB or impact ILB before they spend a high pick on a 230 pound OLB that only fits in a 4-3.

And since most GMs of 4-3 teams would rather fill all 4 spots on the DL with top notch players before they grab a OLB that leaves players like Bowman out of the first round.

Rivers and Cushing were exceptions because of their size and Cushing was a very good pass rusher for USC which added to his value.

Also, Bowman has character issues and was put on probation. Sorry man but 9th overall for Bowman is a shocking pick.

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes I realize Bowman is more talented. But when Freeman was coming out he was considered the 3rd or 4th best 4-3 LB in the draft. Then he got drafted in the 5th round.

My point at the end of the day has less to do with Bowman and more to do with the other choices available in the draft.

Most GMs will take A DE, DT, QB, WR, TE, Rush OLB or impact ILB before they spend a high pick on a 230 pound OLB that only fits in a 4-3.

And since most GMs of 4-3 teams would rather fill all 4 spots on the DL with top notch players before they grab a OLB that leaves players like Bowman out of the first round.

Rivers and Cushing were exceptions because of their size and Cushing was a very good pass rusher for USC which added to his value.

Also, Bowman has character issues and was put on probation. Sorry man but 9th overall for Bowman is a shocking pick.

Rivers is 6'2, 240, Cushing is 6'3, 240. Bowman is 6'1, 232, but your saying size is the issue? Rivers coming out of USC was only in the 225 range, he was listed in USC's media guide at 6'3, 220. Cushing was listed at 6'2, 255 so he actually had to drop weight. So I dont buy the size thing.

And even with Cushing have an extra year of playin time at USC, he still only compiled the same amount of career sacks (8) and far less TFL than Bowman (Cushing-27, Bowman-35.5). So Im not buying the very good pass rushing thing either.

The trend and the probation I get, but there is no reason to think that Bowman won't be picked in the same area as Cushing and Rivers considering he is of the same body type, same type of player and has relatively the same stats.

DesertFox24
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I like Bowman, but you have to take Kindle or McClain if they are on the board over Bowman.

McClain can play either 34 or 43 and if we are a 43 team then we could move Poz outside.

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I like Bowman, but you have to take Kindle or McClain if they are on the board over Bowman.

McClain can play either 34 or 43 and if we are a 43 team then we could move Poz outside.

I ahve Kindle behind Bowman at the OLB spot currently.

McClain is my #1 ILB and Bowman my #1 OLB.

DesertFox24
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I ahve Kindle behind Bowman at the OLB spot currently.

McClain is my #1 ILB and Bowman my #1 OLB.

I would take Kindle over Bowman if we are running a 34, he is going to be like Ware on the outside. Kindle would probably be a RE in a 43 team but he is undersized as well.

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I would take Kindle over Bowman if we are running a 34, he is going to be like Ware on the outside. Kindle would probably be a RE in a 43 team but he is undersized as well.
Yea its different if we go 3-4, then I wouldn't even take Bowman.

DesertFox24
01-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Sorry for not being clear...

My point is it is hard to predict what direction the bills will go at this time, because there are to many unknowns.

If we run a 34 I would rate Kindle higher than Bowman, if we run a 43 then Bowman is higher.

However, I still think McClain is better than both in my opinion and we would be better off moving Poz outside and McClain to middle.

I know I have always been against running a 34 but I actually want to make the switch this year. I think the only piece we are missing is NT. Kyle Williams, Stroud, McCargo, and Johnson could be decent 34 ends. Maybin would be awesome as an OLB, and put Poz in the middle. Then either put Mitchell/McClain next to him and Kindle or someone else on the outside.

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Sorry for not being clear...

My point is it is hard to predict what direction the bills will go at this time, because there are to many unknowns.

If we run a 34 I would rate Kindle higher than Bowman, if we run a 43 then Bowman is higher.

However, I still think McClain is better than both in my opinion and we would be better off moving Poz outside and McClain to middle.

I know I have always been against running a 34 but I actually want to make the switch this year. I think the only piece we are missing is NT. Kyle Williams, Stroud, McCargo, and Johnson could be decent 34 ends. Maybin would be awesome as an OLB, and put Poz in the middle. Then either put Mitchell/McClain next to him and Kindle or someone else on the outside.

No problem and I agree with the bolded.

Im not for or against the 3-4, but I think we need more than just a NT.

Personally I was a system where we aggressively blitz, use versatile players, and get big physical corners who can jam at the line. You can do that out of a base 4-3, or the 3-4. The system we use does not matter to me as long as the philosophy is correct.

DesertFox24
01-08-2010, 11:55 AM

Personally I was a system where we aggressively blitz, use versatile players, and get big physical corners who can jam at the line. You can do that out of a base 4-3, or the 3-4. The system we use does not matter to me as long as the philosophy is correct.

I agree I am tired of this soft coverage crap, which allows for quick three step drops and quick passes because we are so afraid of the deep ball.

Whatever we run next year I hope it is aggressive, kind of why I am not a fan of Frazier he is from the same cover 2 tree.

DesertFox24
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM

I agree I am tired of this soft coverage crap, which allows for quick three step drops and quick passes because we are so afraid of the deep ball.

Whatever we run next year I hope it is aggressive, kind of why I am not a fan of Frazier he is from the same cover 2 tree.

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Also a concern of mine, though I do like Frazier more than others.

Mahdi
01-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Rivers is 6'2, 240, Cushing is 6'3, 240. Bowman is 6'1, 232, but your saying size is the issue? Rivers coming out of USC was only in the 225 range, he was listed in USC's media guide at 6'3, 220. Cushing was listed at 6'2, 255 so he actually had to drop weight. So I dont buy the size thing.

And even with Cushing have an extra year of playin time at USC, he still only compiled the same amount of career sacks (8) and far less TFL than Bowman (Cushing-27, Bowman-35.5). So Im not buying the very good pass rushing thing either.

The trend and the probation I get, but there is no reason to think that Bowman won't be picked in the same area as Cushing and Rivers considering he is of the same body type, same type of player and has relatively the same stats.
First of all Cushing is 6'3 260, and coming out he was 6'3 243. Scouts knew he had the frame to add weight AND he also played DE for a season with USC which showed scouts he was a powerful player and could play with good leverage the sack totals are not as important as that fact which is why I said Cushing has more value as a pass rusher.

Second Rivers coming out was listed at 6'3 235. Now he is listed at 6'2 240. For some reason he got to the NFL and got shorter.

And I find it interesting that you are the one usually arguing over a 5 pound difference for a DE but now a 10 pound difference at LB is insignificant?

Cushing and Bowman are not anywhere close to being comparable. Cushing was even talked about as being able to play DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4. That makes his value go through the roof.

Now if you want to compare Bowman to Rivers that's fair but OLBs in 4-3 defenses are losing their value, especially one that is sized for a cover 2. And teams will always look to guys like Maualuga who dropped into the second as a perfect example of that fact. If I'm a GM of a 4-3 defense I do simple math to figure out that by the time every team picks the best linemen, CBs, QBs, WRs and 3-4 OLBs off the board, and considering the fact that so many teams have moved to the 3-4, I KNOW that either a guy like Bowman or the #2 guy at his position will most likely be there.