PDA

View Full Version : Frazier and Rivera are not token candidates

T-Long
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
A good read...

Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has been viewed as a token interview over the years, an obligatory candidate for various head-coaching vacancies because he's black. NFL policy stipulates that at least one minority be interviewed for every vacancy.

But we can safely state the Buffalo Bills don't view Frazier as a required interview. The Bills will meet with Frazier on Thursday morning to discuss their opening.

LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/8769/frazier-rivera-not-token-bills-candidates)

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
There ya go..

Michael82
01-06-2010, 03:43 PM
We now know one of patmoran's sources. :snicker:

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
We now know one of patmoran's sources. :snicker:

1- NO, I am pretty sure I cant write 500 words in about 2 minutes ;) I'm not that quick my man

and 2- I dont see anything in this about a Rivera interview as early as Friday?

Michael82
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
1- NO, I am pretty sure I cant write 500 words in about 2 minutes ;) I'm not that quick my man

and 2- I dont see anything in this about a Rivera interview as early as Friday?

I'm just messing with ya man. Although I do remember you mentioning being a friend of his one time... :up:

Canadian'eh!
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Well.. I thought this was obvious since we already complied with the Rooney Rule by interviewing Perry. So the ONLY reason to interview Fraizer is because Ralph has heard of him... I mean because he's a legit candidate.

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Id love to get Frazier in here, he's a well qualified coach and deserves a shot.

He or Grimm are my #2 and 3 choice.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm just messing with ya man. Although I do remember you mentioning being a friend of his one time... :up:

We are friends, I email him often, and he's helped promote BSD on ESPN.com as well.. He just moved back to the area too after living in Miami for a number of years.

He's the ONLY writer I trust 100% because I know he never throws anything at the wall to try and stick.

I'll take Tim Graham over anybody else at ESPN 10 out of 10 times and you guys should to

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Id love to get Frazier in here, he's a well qualified coach and deserves a shot.

Arent you tired of people "getting shots" in Buffalo?

How about we hire someone that has done something already.

Why does Buffalo have to be the experimental lab?

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Because its a team that sucks, needs to be completely blown up, has a mess of an owner and may or may not have a real plan for when he dies.

We are a testing ground because all the prestige we once has is gone and its cold as **** up there.

I like giving people shots, its far more exciting then hiring recycled coaches.

T-Long
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM

I do agree with you Pat, but I truly think Frazier is going to be a helluva coach in this league and deserves a spot. Hell, we COULD do worse ya know? (Fassel, Haslett, B. Schotty, etc.)

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Because its a team that sucks, needs to be completely blown up, has a mess of an owner and may or may not have a real plan for when he dies.

We are a testing ground because all the prestige we once has is gone and its cold as **** up there.

I agree, though I'd consider guys like Haslett and Fassel recycled coaches as opposed to the three that most people want: Cowher, Marty and Billick

DraftBoy
01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I agree, though I'd consider guys like Haslett and Fassel recycled coaches as opposed to the three that most people want: Cowher, Marty and Billick

Cowher is the only one Id want. Marty hasn't won much of anything in the post season and Billick is an offensive genius that can't run an offense.

Id prefer new fresh blood pumping through this teams old veins.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-06-2010, 04:00 PM

I hear what your saying but if Cowher doesn't want to coach here and if Marty stays retired then what? I'd like Billick but in the long run would he be that much better than a good assistant. Remember when we snagged Mularky and Greggo we grabbed guys who never got a sniff before. Both these guys were bottom of the barrel in terms of assistant coaches, for once we'd get the cream of the crop. We passed on the Marvin Lewis's, John Fox's. We also signed these guys late where we couldn't snag any assistants as well.

T-Long
01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I hear what your saying but if Cowher doesn't want to coach here and if Marty stays retired then what? I'd like Billick but in the long run would he be that much better than a good assistant. Remember when we snagged Mularky and Greggo we grabbed guys who never got a sniff before. Both these guys were bottom of the barrel in terms of assistant coaches, for once we'd get the cream of the crop. We passed on the Marvin Lewis's, John Fox's. We also signed these guys late where we couldn't snag any assistants as well.
We didn't "pass" on Marvin Lewis..he was offered the job but turned it down.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Just me personally, but I prefer Rivera over Frazier.

I want a much stronger in your face type of coach than Frazier.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 04:12 PM

What the hell does this have to do with anything? Just in case you didn't know...it's cold in Boston, Green Bay, Cleveland, Minnesota, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago...etc. This means nothing...

Mahdi
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM

You have any good reasons why Frazier is any better than Fewell or Jauron?

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Because he's different...

Mahdi
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Because he's different...
Exactly... and not too different at the same time...

Frazier runs the same defense, curiously though, while most cover 2 defenses are tops in the league in pass coverage, his pass defense is routinely near the bottom.
So basically, he doesn't even succeed in his area of expertise.

Buffalo with a weak DL has a #2 pass defense. I'll take Fewell before I take Frazier.

Ingtar33
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
But we can safely state the Buffalo Bills don't view Frazier as a required interview. The Bills will meet with Frazier on Thursday morning to discuss their opening.

That's because the Bills already interviewed Fewell for the job. Not much of a limb to climb out on for this one.

DraftBoy
01-07-2010, 11:03 AM

You mean aside from the basic resumes?

Frazier played in the NFL and won a SB ring with the 85 Bears, so he has experience about what it takes to not only win, but also win the big game. He's from the Andy Reid/Bill Walsh tree.

He has HC experience, and there is the fact that his unit almost always improves, and he won a ring as DC.

He was defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals from 2003-2004 where he helped turn the unit into a group that increased takeaways from 24 in 2003 to 36 in 2004. The Bengals' 36 takeaways in '04 ranked 3rd in the NFL. The 2004 Bengals notched 20 interceptions, the most since 1996. The Bengals Defense improved from #28 in total yards allowed in 2003 to #19 in 2004, and declined in the two years following his dismissal.

In 2005, Frazier was hired by Tony Dungy as a defensive assistant for the Indianapolis Colts, receiving the title of Special Assistant to the Head Coach as well as Defensive Backs Coach. He was specifically brought in by Dungy to help the Colts young corps of Defensive Backs. During his time in Indy the Colts passing defense improved from 15th in 2005 to 2nd in 2006. On February 4, 2007 the Colts beat Frazier's former team, the Chicago Bears, in Super Bowl XLI. Four days later, on February 8, 2007

But not too much difference. Show me again where Fewell or Jauron came close to acheiving any of this?

This is not cheering for change for the sake of change. This is getting a guy with a great resume, and who has been successful consistently at multiple stops and has great connections throughout the league.

Run_Two_Three
01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
He's from the Andy Reid/Bill Walsh tree.

I guess that means Trent will be back next year....

Mahdi
01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
You mean aside from the basic resumes?

Frazier played in the NFL and won a SB ring with the 85 Bears, so he has experience about what it takes to not only win, but also win the big game. He's from the Andy Reid/Bill Walsh tree.

He has HC experience, and there is the fact that his unit almost always improves, and he won a ring as DC.

But not too much difference. Show me again where Fewell or Jauron came close to acheiving any of this?

This is not cheering for change for the sake of change. This is getting a guy with a great resume, and who has been successful consistently at multiple stops and has great connections throughout the league.
So because he won a Super Bowl with the 85 Bears as a DB, while he had arguably the best front 7 to ever play in front of him makes him qualified?

And when you mention the Andy Reid/Walsh tree it doesn't apply when you are talking about a Defensive coach, because that has nothing to do with being in the Reid/Walsh tree. Childress is in the Reid/Walsh tree because he is an offensive play-caller, not Frazier.

You say he was the DC when the Bengals were 3rd in the league in takeaways.... His defense was ranked #19 that year which is NOT good and because it got worse after he left that is an indication of his skill???

And who cares if he was a "Defensive assistant" in 2005 for the Colts, the DC was Meeks, Meeks and Dungy called he defense but mainly Meeks, how does that show that Frazier is HC material?

And right now he has some of the best talent in the league at his disposal and he can't keep offenses out of the endzone and keep them from throwing all over the place on them. All this from a guy who is a secondary coach by trade.

Sorry but Fewell's resume is much better than his. #1 in INTS, #2 ranked pass defense. And that's with Schobel, Kelsay, Stroud and KW as opposed to Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams and Edwards who has become better than any of our DEs.

Run_Two_Three
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I just don't want another defensive-minded coach. Our problem is the offense.

Mahdi
01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I'll give you two more Frazier stats:

2009 Pts/Gm allowed: 23rd in the league

2009 pass defense rank: 19th.

Talk about not being able to make chicken salad with chicken.