X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poz's Posse
    • Dec 2008

This is my theory

I will admit that I am among the amny who would like Bill cowher o come here, but I believe after today's developments and reads on the Frazier / Rivera potential interviews this is what is in the offing.....

1. These interviews are to prepare for the possibility that Cowher does not come as he is waiting on another opening to develop/not develop before he makes a final decision.

2. They are being used for leverage......

3. We are going on the cheap again and never had any intention on hiring a big name.

I know which way I am leaning....................
  • McBFLO
    • Mar 2003

Re: This is my theory

Do you not see how you contradict yourself?
    Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pepperkorn
      Do you not see how you contradict yourself?
      I think he's suggesting 3 outcomes.

I'll pick #3 as anything else was just a marketing tool to placate the fans.

"We tried to get Shanahan and Cowher but they just wouldn't come."

I really believe Ralph is so much smarter than we give him credit for when it comes to saving a buck.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Poz's Posse
        I will admit that I am among the amny who would like Bill cowher o come here, but I believe after today's developments and reads on the Frazier / Rivera potential interviews this is what is in the offing.....

1. These interviews are to prepare for the possibility that Cowher does not come as he is waiting on another opening to develop/not develop before he makes a final decision.
        That's your answer right there.

2. They are being used for leverage......
        Leverage to who? LOL leverage won't work against Cowher. He has all the leverage. He know he's what the BIlls need.

3. We are going on the cheap again and never had any intention on hiring a big name.
        It's the way it's going to come off, but I believe they made an effort to get Cowher, and I dont think they've given up yet either, which makes #1 have more sense. As far as the other two, Marty S. is retired, and I dont think Billick is worth crazy money.

I know which way I am leaning....................

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE

I really believe Ralph is so much smarter than we give him credit for when it comes to saving a buck.
          Leaking to the media they tried to get Cowher would constitute a marketing tool to placate the fans.

That hasn't happened.... yet

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

Pat they didn't even set up an interview for Billick.

What's your definition of an "effort to get Cowher?" The same effort used to keep Peters by offering him 2 million a year less than market?

Since the Peters PR move worked on all of the fans I'm sure Ralph will get away with the "Cowher didn't want to be a Bill" so we went with young and talented (cheap) instead.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

1. Agree. Gotta keep the wheels in motion, and can't put all of your eggs in one basket.

2. Absolutely agree, and I've said as much from Day 1. It's not a coincidence that the Cowher 'leak' came out right after Carolina announced they were keeping Fox.

3. Disagree. They definitely talked to Shanahan. They might have already, or maybe in the future will talk directly to Cowher. Speculated that they talked to Gruden. If they chose not to ask Billick, that doesn't disqualify their other efforts (who would really expect them to contact every 'name' coach anyway? It's possible that they think somebody just might not be a good fit.)
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                Leaking to the media they tried to get Cowher would constitute a marketing tool to placate the fans.

That hasn't happened.... yet
                Pat, I had the very first scoop on the coaching situation. Remember? I said Cowher isn't coming here. I just used common sense instead of a source to post it.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Pat they didn't even set up an interview for Billick.

What's your definition of an "effort to get Cowher?" The same effort used to keep Peters by offering him 2 million a year less than market?

Since the Peters PR move worked on all of the fans I'm sure Ralph will get away with the "Cowher didn't want to be a Bill" so we went with young and talented (cheap) instead.
                  it is very debatable on if a team would want Billick. Super Bowl and Winning record, sure. But he's also flawed, so you cant blame the BIlls for not wanting someone who also happens to be expensive as hell.

As far as Cowher and Schottenheimer, they need to put their best foot forward, and honestly we dont know yet, and its too early to conclude.

I'll completely agree with you on one thing, if they hire Frazier the fan base is not going to buy it. Especially if he's hired anytime soon.

Like I said, call me blind and that's fine--but based on what little I know and have heard, I do not rule out Bill Cowher yet and I won't until Cowher does himself and/or the Bills leak info.

Maybe we'll find out some insight from Cowher this weekend on CBS, though I wouldnt bet on it.

I will be completely SHOCKED if the Bills announce a Rivera or Frazier hiring anytime soon, especially since right now they're literally bidding against themselves.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    it is very debatable on if a team would want Billick. Super Bowl and Winning record, sure. But he's also flawed, so you cant blame the BIlls for not wanting someone who also happens to be expensive as hell.

As far as Cowher and Schottenheimer, they need to put their best foot forward, and honestly we dont know yet, and its too early to conclude.

I'll completely agree with you on one thing, if they hire Frazier the fan base is not going to buy it. Especially if he's hired anytime soon.

Like I said, call me blind and that's fine--but based on what little I know and have heard, I do not rule out Bill Cowher yet and I won't until Cowher does himself and/or the Bills leak info.

Maybe we'll find out some insight from Cowher this weekend on CBS, though I wouldnt bet on it.

I will be completely SHOCKED if the Bills announce a Rivera or Frazier hiring anytime soon, especially since right now they're literally bidding against themselves.
                    Totally fair and I'm not trying to shoot the messenger. I'm preparing myself for the worst possible outcome.

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

The fans are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. That will not placate the fans. If they don't get a big name ticket sales will drop and Ralph and Brandon know that. They are actually trying imo.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Novacane
                        The fans are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. That will not placate the fans. If they don't get a big name ticket sales will drop and Ralph and Brandon know that. They are actually trying imo.
                        I agree. I think they are legitimately trying to get a big name head coach--but the right big name head coach. It's nice to have Nix running the search, as it makes it less likely that we'd settle on a (for instance) Billick just because us fans have heard of him and know he won a super bowl. I.e. in one form or another the HC hiring will not be a pure marketing move, as it might have been if Nix had not been hired and Brandon/RW were concerned mostly about 2010 ticket sales.

If Cowher flat out turns us down, and we've taken several weeks in which we've interviewed a wide range of other candidates, I won't pitch a hissy fit if Nix & Co. settle on a guy like Rivera or Frazier. If a coordinator emerges as the best guy for the job after a thorough search and not because he's a cheaper hire, then so be it. The only way they're going to totally blow it with me at the outset is if they make a quick hire and it's not Bill Cowher, Marty S., or someone else off the radar who has a solid HC track record.
                        Last edited by Saratoga Slim; 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM.
                        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

They will offer Frazier Asst. HC under Cowher and double his current salary.

They will make him HC if Cowher declines and triple his current salary.

Then they'll return to Cowher and grovel at his feet for 96 hours, praying idea #1 comes true.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                          X