PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills Coach Search: Pursuing Bill Cowher, Leslie Frazier

Michael82
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
A source tells 2 On Your Side's Adam Benigni that the Buffalo Bills continue to pursue former Steelers Coach Bill Cowher to become the team's next head coach.

The revelation comes after reports that team management quietly met with Cowher last week. In recent days, speculation has grown that the Bills could potentially lure Cowher to Buffalo if owner Ralph Wilson makes Cowher a massive offer.

NFL.com writer Vic Carucci said, while it remains unlikely Cowher will land in Buffalo, it will not be for lack of effort by the Bills.

"I do know that the Bills have not let up in their pursuit and have tried very hard - and are trying very hard - to convince him to come to the Bills," Carucci said. "But based on everything I'm hearing, it's not necessarily [that] he sees [this] as something he wants to do".....

The Bills need to be granted permission by the Vikings before speaking with Frazier.

The source did not know how soon the interview would happen, but said it could be as early as Thursday.

"He is imminently qualified for the job," Carucci said of Frazier. "He has really earned his way through the league as an assistant coach, and he is one of the most highly-respected coordinators in the league."

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73324&catid=37

Michael82
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I knew it. It explains why everything is so quiet. This team is trying very hard to convince Cowher to come here. I don't think it's Cowher that needs convincing. I'm betting it's his family.

Nighthawk
Ummm, how about blowing him out the water with an offer? Stop messing around and give him as much as it would take to get him to come here? He's more then just a coach, he instantly brings credibility to this team and that alone deserves a few million a year. I hate Frazier and B. Schottenheimer and would be disgusted if either one of them were hired. I'd much rather the Bills go after a proven college HC then go the coordinator route...that would at least give the perception of them trying to do things differently.

patmoran2006
I'll take any ounce of spec that ties the BIlls into any hope of Cowher until the bitter end.

Slim
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
And the billboard donations just skyrocketed...

patmoran2006
Ummm, how about blowing him out the water with an offer? Stop messing around and give him as much as it would take to get him to come here? He's more then just a coach, he instantly brings credibility to this team and that alone deserves a few million a year. I hate Frazier and B. Schottenheimer and would be disgusted if either one of them were hired. I'd much rather the Bills go after a proven college HC then go the coordinator route...that would at least give the perception of them trying to do things differently.

thats what Im saying.
Didnt Ralph say he was "committed to winning" and its "not about money"

How much more could he show he was committed by blowing Cowher out the water and luring him here.

Nighthawk
I knew it. It explains why everything is so quiet. This team is trying very hard to convince Cowher to come here. I don't think it's Cowher that needs convincing. I'm betting it's his family.

I think it is Ralph not willing to spend the money to get it done...money talks and there is obviously not enough on the table to get it done. Ralph simply needs to ask Cowher what amount it would take to get him to Buffalo and then say "done"...sign on the dotted line!

Michael82

I agree. Instead of begging him, throw $10.5 million per year on the table. If he says no to that, go up to $11 million. If he still says no...start looking around for someone else on the list. Billick really seems interested...make him the 2nd choice.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree. Instead of begging him, throw $10.5 million per year on the table. If he says no to that, go up to $11 million. If he still says no...start looking around for someone else on the list. Billick really seems interested...make him the 2nd choice.

I agree...if you can't get him, don't just accept mediocrity and hire a coordinator...try to get another guy who has won in this league and who would also bring credibility to the team. That person is Billick or Marty.

Ebenezer
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Does anybody see the contradictions in this thread?? As I said yesterday, if it is about money then the Bills are not serious about Cowher.

zone
01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I disagree, he was willing to spend $6 million on a risky situation with TO, marketing scheme or not.

Cowher is not a risk, he is instant credibility, marketing, and everything else this organization needs. There is no way he is not willing to pony up for that.

He said he was willing to do what ever it takes, if he wasn't willing to do that than he would just keep his mouth shut and continue the same old BS as in years past.

Ralph is willing to pay, make no mistake.

PromoTheRobot
01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
thats what Im saying.
Didnt Ralph say he was "committed to winning" and its "not about money"

How much more could he show he was committed by blowing Cowher out the water and luring him here.

Then please produce proof of what the Bills are actually offering Cowher rather than assuming he's being low-balled.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
01-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Does anybody see the contradictions in this thread?? As I said yesterday, if it is about money then the Bills are not serious about Cowher.
Do you see the contradiction in your post? Cowher never said it's about money. Everyone assumes that it is. No one knows what the Bills are offering. The fact that Cowher is still listening suggests that it's in his ball park.

PTR

Dr. Lecter
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Chances are money has not been discussed yet.

If Cowher wants the job, I don't think money will be an issue.

If does not want the job, jacking up the salary won't help.

Demon
01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Do you see the contradiction in your post? Cowher never said it's about money. Everyone assumes that it is. No one knows what the Bills are offering. The fact that Cowher is still listening suggests that it's in his ball park.

PTR

Yeah... everyone said Washington needed to dump a truck load of cash at Shanahan to lure him, and that wasn't the case. Nobody really knows. There's so much more in minor details that we don't even know about, that it's pretty crazy to speculate.

MikeInRoch
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
There is NO evidence to support the guess that money is the issue.

trapezeus
01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
i really don't see what is so bad about buffalo. Really, is franchise uncertainty that big of a deal? the team move in the worst case scenario. it doesn't go under. it's not like what the average human deals with when looking at jobs. NFL teams stick around. They won't fold it.

Buffalo itself is an incredible community of warmth and understanding. we put up with 10 years. i'm sure we'll be more than happy to give bill another 3. We have zero talent on this team. we have a few serviable players, but no superstars. He can have the pick of the litter with drafts and FA.

This is the job to take if you are looking to build your legend and mystique. No one will ever doubt that cowher didn't earn everything he accomplishes with this team.

so in review:

- The area is nice and understanding. it's not like NYC where the post drags your name through the mud to prove their point. We have jerry sullivan complaining and that's it.
- the money is right.
-The money goes further in buffalo
- the ownership wants to finally win now
- they've got your pal modrak there right now. they've put in a GM who is a good scout who seems to be easy to work with.
- there is literally one job in dallas that might open up that has a win now team. you join them next year and you don't win it all, you're done. that is pressure and hard to guarantee when "any given sunday...."
- the browns taking fox is really quite expensive for the browns to entertain.

am i missing something? what is left to think about but sign on the dotted line, Bill. I want a shot to convince the guy. i'm ready to go back to B-lo.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
There is NO evidence to support the guess that money is the issue.

There is NO evidence to show that it isn't.

Buddo
01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
There are always things that we simply don't know.
Example. It turns out that Shanahan was 'only' getting paid 50% of what his salary was with the Broncos, which I believe meant he was getting $3-3.5 million. Supposedly he is now getting around $7 million per with the Redskins.
TBH, those figuers, nobody knew about until he signed with the 'Skins. It was just assumed he was getting his full salary.
The $7 million per that shanahan has signed for, tends to make it look like it's less about the money, as the market doesn't appear to be as 'hot' as predicted.
It is also pretty naive to assume that someone will take a job, just because boatloads of cash is being offered - even when talking in the millions. If you've reached a decent age, after working hard most of your life, you reach a point in time, when lifestyle can mean a whole heap more to you than working your butt off. Cowher atm, is sitting pretty comfortably, on a (no doubt) handsomely paid gig, that takes up not too much time or effort on his part. The big question is, how much does he want to move out of that comfort zone?

Novacane
01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
. I don't think it's Cowher that needs convincing. I'm betting it's his family.

Good chance you are right.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Example. It turns out that Shanahan was 'only' getting paid 50% of what his salary was with the Broncos, which I believe meant he was getting $3-3.5 million. Supposedly he is now getting around $7 million per with the Redskins.
TBH, those figuers, nobody knew about until he signed with the 'Skins. It was just assumed he was getting his full salary.
The $7 million per that shanahan has signed for, tends to make it look like it's less about the money, as the market doesn't appear to be as 'hot' as predicted.
It is also pretty naive to assume that someone will take a job, just because boatloads of cash is being offered - even when talking in the millions. If you've reached a decent age, after working hard most of your life, you reach a point in time, when lifestyle can mean a whole heap more to you than working your butt off. Cowher atm, is sitting pretty comfortably, on a (no doubt) handsomely paid gig, that takes up not too much time or effort on his part. The big question is, how much does he want to move out of that comfort zone?

coaching is in Cowher's blood.

If he's not back this year, he'll be back next year.

justasportsfan
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM

but if he comes here for the money, I don't want him.

If football is in his blood then there is no better place or a bigger challenge than winning a sb for a small market team thats never won a sb. It would be a great challenge for anyone.

Michael82
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM

There may NOT be a next year.

don137
01-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I am starting to get a bad feeling that the Bills are not going to get a tier one (Cowher) or tier two coach (Billick) and get another tier 3 coach (retread or unproven coach). Not liking how this is shaping out with all the people saying Cowher will not be coaching Buffalo, not interested in Billick, etc and the only thing we get interviews are with Rivera and Frazier.

Amazing how when Kelly retired the Bills were a respected organization. Now they are up their with the Lions as a laughing stock.

YardRat
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Actually, I think he was getting 7mil in Denver. Part of the agreement is that Bowlen picks up half (or 3.5mil) of the total salary and Snyder goes the other half.

Shanahan 'wins' by getting 7mil, plus longer terms.
Bowlen wins because he's only on the hook for half of what he could've been.
Snyder wins because he gets a 7mil coach for 3.5mil per for the first few years.

patmoran2006
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Like I said, though you're probably all right-- with all this spec going on until I see a confirmed report by the Bills or by Bill Cowher that its not going to happen I will hold out hope.