PDA

View Full Version : Where did this story come from???

HHURRICANE
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Did WGR report that Jim Kelly and Thruman Thomas were the one's that had the stealth meeting with Cowher along with some other unnamed individuals to discuss ownership for Cowher if he becomes coach. Apprantley Kelly has an owner lined up for the team when Ralph goes.

Did anyone here this????

I've had two different people from Buffalo just e-mail me this.

Slim
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I havent heard anything like this.

Michael82
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
What?!?! Wow! this would be very interesting if this was the BIG news that Thurman Thomas has talked about will be revealed on January 15th.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Did WGR report that Jim Kelly and Thruman Thomas were the one's that had the stealth meeting with Cowher along with some other unnamed individuals to discuss ownership for Cowher if he becomes coach. Apprantley Kelly has an owner lined up for the team when Ralph goes.

Did anyone here this????

I've had two different people from Buffalo just e-mail me this.

Haven't heard a thing about that.

casdhf
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Thurman and Jim dont have that kind of money.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
never heard any of this. i think right now the bills are keeping their options open with frazier and rivera.... i think they are leaning towards rivera if they cant get bill cowher... also the wild card is jim harbaugh...

ZAZusmc03
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
If anyone watched the show done by coach sal on ustream, he said that from what he has heard around the league, most people feel that the Buffalo Bills have the most stable owndership, saying that the Ralph is completely dedicated to bringing a winner to buffalo, and so are his "heirs". Ill post the link to that show so everyone can check it out.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/3588496

The information is in the first 10 min

Ferrygoat
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I was told a while back from someone very close to kelly that he was working with George Gillett. I posted this a while back but nobody seemed want to hear it.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
I was told a while back from someone very close to kelly that he was working with George Gillett. I posted this a while back but nobody seemed want to hear it.

I've read the same thing from different sources...

Coach Sal
01-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I've heard (from the janitor at my HS to the cheerleader I used to date to some dude who paints his face even for every Sabres game.......you get the point) that Jimbo and his alleged ownership "group" is connected to everyone from Bob Rich to Donald Trump to Jeremy Jacobs to Bon Jovi.

Who knows what's up with all that?

Ralph's owned the team for 50 years. We've never heard a single peep in 5 decades about it....so until someone actually comes out and says "this is the deal," it's pretty tough to get a handle on.

ZAZusmc03
01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Well speaking of coach sal..... haha

Coach Sal
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
A I've said many times, though.

I think it's ridiculous to think this man of 91-years old, who's built a BILLION DOLLAR business, and has been known throughout his life as a "good" business man, hasn't totally thought this through already and come up with a plan.

He's to smart for that.

And he's too smart to tell everyone what it is.

Maybe this is the time and we hear something soon. But thinking he's just going to throw his arms up and say, "whatever" when he passes is a little far-fetched for me.

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM

I think it's ridiculous to think this man of 91-years old, who's built a BILLION DOLLAR business, and has been known throughout his life as a "good" business man, hasn't totally thought this through already and come up with a plan.

He's to smart for that.

Maybe this is the time and we hear something soon. But thinking he's just going to throw his arms up and say, "whatever" when he passes is a little far-fetched for me.

Yeah, but this is Ralphy we're talking about...!

ZAZusmc03
01-06-2010, 04:58 PM

He's to smart for that.

100% agree. I can't imagine him just leaving this team and its fans out to dry like that. I would like to know soon if he has lined up something tho. It would be nice for the fans thats for sure.

Typ0
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
his plan was spawned when he handed it to a group of attorneys and told them to maximize the value of the franchise for his heirs once he's gone. It will go to the highest bidder and pay the government they least amount possible.

He's to smart for that.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM

He's to smart for that.

The business plan could be, I die and it goes to my estate up to the highest bidder, whomever that may be.

As a businessman Ralph has to realized that this franchise in LA is worth almost double what it's worth here.

Typ0
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
how those comments became "most people" I have no idea. there is another thread around here where we beat this down.

If anyone watched the show done by coach sal on ustream, he said that from what he has heard around the league, most people feel that the Buffalo Bills have the most stable owndership, saying that the Ralph is completely dedicated to bringing a winner to buffalo, and so are his "heirs". Ill post the link to that show so everyone can check it out.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/3588496

The information is in the first 10 min

Mudflap1
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM

He's to smart for that.

:rofl: I totally agree. We just aren't privy to the information.

Coach Sal
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
how those comments became "most people" I have no idea. there is another thread around here where we beat this down.

I was told this from the original Cowher report in the same discussion by the same person.

I can only pass along what I was told. I think I quoted it for you before.

I don't know about anyone "beating it down," but yes, it was a little vague and nothing concrete, I agree.

Definitely open to interpretation.

Coach Sal
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
his plan was spawned when he handed it to a group of attorneys and told them to maximize the value of the franchise for his heirs once he's gone. It will go to the highest bidder and pay the government they least amount possible.

Is this your best speculation?

Or do you have intimate knowledge of the situation?

Nighthawk
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I was told this from the original Cowher report in the same discussion by the same person.

I don't know about anyone "beating it down," but yes, it was a little vague and nothing concrete, I agree.

Hey Sal, I think it would be very good information and very useful to many fans if you could go back to your source and get an update. Anything would be better then nothing.

Coach Sal
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey Sal, I think it would be very good information and very useful to many fans if you could go back to your source and get an update. Anything would be better then nothing.

Well, all I can tell you is....believe me....I have tried. And when and if I hear anything, I'll get it out there.

There are a lot of factors at play when it comes to someone talking about things.

Not to mention the fact that people have lives outside of talking to me (it's unfortunate, but true :D )

I think at this point, the way the local and national media is on this thing like they are, it will be much harder for me to know anything before the mainstream media does.

Ferrygoat
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
He doesnt remember which source he got it from it was either the janitor at his HS or the cheerleader he used to date or some dude who paints his face even for every Sabres game.......you get the point

Mudflap1
01-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Didn't Ralph conduct an interview a couple of years ago where he said that the Bills would be sold after he died to the highest bidder so his family could maximize the proceeds, and there would be no guarantees (at the time he had the interview) that they would remain in Buffalo?

Typ0
01-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Sorry sal but you are overtly defensive. If you want to be in this business you better get used to some criticism...but I wasn't criticizing you. What I meant was we covered this and I was being nice and not dragging it up again out of consideration for your efforts. But since you bought it up apparently you can't be careful enough to read your own work or you have changed it one of the two.

According to your original article you talked to ONE unnamed person and called it a source and I don't remember seeing where it said MOST people believed. It came off to me as one persons opinion of something about the stability of the organization. Maybe I should just put up a poll asking how many people think the situation is "stable" and see if it is most people or very few people...

Typ0
01-06-2010, 05:24 PM

I am going on the many times that Wilson himself has said some form of "It's been taken care of" and "it will sell to the highest bidder" in the media when asked about the situation. People who handle "taking care of" those things are lawyers and the rest speaks for itself. I don't feel a need to dig through the past ten years of interviews with him to find the transcripts where he said these things. You are the media guy...don't you remember his saying these things?

Yasgur's Farm
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I haven't re-listened to nor read a transcript of what sal said... But I do believe sal said that his source said that he's heard that multiple people have drawn the same conclusion concerning the stability of the Bills organization.

Yasgur's Farm
01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I've never heard Ralph, nor any representative of Ralph, say "it will sell to the highest bidder"... Never.

Mudflap1
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I've never heard Ralph, nor any representative of Ralph, say "it will sell to the highest bidder"... Ever.

I definitely seem to recall that. I think it happened. Don't know where I read it, but it was somewhere linked off of this board.

Coach Sal
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Sorry sal but you are overtly defensive. If you want to be in this business you better get used to some criticism...but I wasn't criticizing you. What I meant was we covered this and I was being nice and not dragging it up again out of consideration for your efforts. But since you bought it up apparently you can't be careful enough to read your own work or you have changed it one of the two.

According to your original article you talked to ONE unnamed person and called it a source and I don't remember seeing where it said MOST people believed. It came off to me as one persons opinion of something about the stability of the organization. Maybe I should just put up a poll asking how many people think the situation is "stable" and see if it is most people or very few people...

Wow.

It's amazing how two different people can read something and read such TOTALLY different things into what is written.

I was agreeing with you. I understood what you said. I was simply clarifying and making it better to understand for everyone else.

I really don't need any more lessons about "being the business" and how to conduct myself.

Now, I would say YOU are the one being way too defensive here, and probably just read into my post what you wanted to read into it. But of course that will begin another pissing match.

So, let's just leave it at that. Sound ok?

Coach Sal
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
TypO,

Posts 45-51.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184845

It appeared to me that we agreed to disagree upon the interpretation of what I was told....but that we both understood the other's interpretation.

Was I wrong?

The above was just stating the same thing and was certainly not "defensive." Oops. Was I being too defensive again for you? :)

Novacane
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
It will go to the highest bidder and pay the government they least amount possible.

If he croaks this year they won't have to worry about that. There is no estate/death tax for anyone that dies in 2010.

Typ0
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I've never heard Ralph, nor any representative of Ralph, say "it will sell to the highest bidder"... Never.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=list&p_topdoc=1110

Half way down:

Wilson says he won't hand off the Bills

That is the primary source of where I'm coming from. He also said the team would be sold at auction which means the highest bidder. I think that comment was made in a press conference around the time Moolarkey walked if it's not in that article. I can't get the full article there maybe someone else can dig it up.

HHURRICANE
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
So this is bogus. I guess i shouldn't be surprised.

WGR reports that Hall of famer Jim Kelly & Thurman Thomas have had a "stealth" meeting with Super Bowl Coach Bill Cower along with other unidentified individuals to discuss possible future ownership of the Buffalo Bills. ESPN reports that Bill Cower himself has still not come forward with statement that he would "NOT" be the next coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Yasgur's Farm
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Typo... You used quotations... That's not accurate.
"it will sell to the highest bidder" does not equal the team would be sold at auction.

Notice I didn't use quotations for the team would be sold at auction... Your link is broke so I couldn't verify it being a quote.

Mudflap1
01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=list&p_topdoc=1110

Half way down:

Wilson says he won't hand off the Bills

That is the primary source of where I'm coming from. He also said the team would be sold at auction which means the highest bidder. I think that comment was made in a press conference around the time Moolarkey walked if it's not in that article. I can't get the full article there maybe someone else can dig it up.

That's the same story and timeframe I was thinking about too.

Yasgur's Farm
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>http://images.newsbank.com/infoweb/welcome/page/nb-logo.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Error:
servlet58d:
Your search session has expired.
Please make sure that cookies are enabled on your browser, then return to the search page and try again.
Please note that bookmarking of pages within the archive is not supported.
If the problem persists please contact NewsBank (newslibrary@newsbank.com) (newslibrary@newsbank.com).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Typ0
01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
It sure sounded to me like you were jumping to defend your position. But I wasn't even talking about that, our interpretation or our original back and forth about the whole thing. I was talking about someone saying they saw somewhere that "MOST" people think that ownership is stable. I seem to remember originally explaining a rationale for making a statement about the stability of the organization and defending that as reasonable. But I don't remember anyone saying that "Most" people thought ownership was stable that is a case of someone just adding information that isn't in the original article at all. That is what I was talking about.

As far as beating it down, I meant we did beat it to death and agreed about where we were at so I saw no reason to bring it up and go over it all again. That gets really old...

I really try hard not to read into things. It's very important not to make assumptions and draw logical conclusions...at least conclusions that come from some form of reason instead of what I want to hear. It's not about what I want it's about trying to understand as much as possible what's really going on...and it gets more and more difficult the more crap you have to wade though.

TypO,

Posts 45-51.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184845

It appeared to me that we agreed to disagree upon the interpretation of what I was told....but that we both understood the other's interpretation.

Was I wrong?

The above was just stating the same thing and was certainly not "defensive." Oops. Was I being too defensive again for you? :)

Typ0
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Typo... You used quotations... That's not accurate.
"it will sell to the highest bidder" does not equal the team would be sold at auction.

Notice I didn't use quotations for the team would be sold at auction... Your link is broke so I couldn't verify it being a quote.

like I said you can't find the auction comment there because i could not extract the article without a subscription to the service nor could I find it anywhere else on the web in the 10 minutes I was willing to put into looking. I feel like you are nit picking me though being sold at auction is the same as selling to the highest bidder and I explained I could not find the direct quotes but the spirit of what I'm talking about is there and Wilson did say it.

mark1126
01-06-2010, 06:30 PM
kelly is on the bills payroll thats why he praised nix, and thurman wants to be..are people blind?

Typ0
01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
kelly is on the bills payroll thats why he praised nix, and thurman wants to be..are people blind?

I don't think what you are saying is accurate. Both of those guys openly share their opinions about things whether they like what the organization is doing or not. It is possible that they were consulted about the hire before it even took place and that is why they are on board anyway.

YardRat
01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2007/06/17/ralph-wilson-says-he-wont-sell-the-bills/

The Bills are Ralph Wilson’s football team. It always has beenhttp://buffalobillsreview.com/images/ralph-wilson.jpg his football team, and he’s holding on as tight as ever. The 88-year-old Wilson is the only owner the Buffalo Bills franchise has had in its history, and that’s the way it’s going to stay as long as he’s alive. In his first comments on the future of the team in more than a year, Wilson stated in an interview with Mark Gaughan of The Buffalo News that the team will be sold after — not before — he dies. He also stated, point blank, that he would not leave the team to his wife, Mary — a scenario about which there has been considerable speculation. “I think she’s capable and she could do it, but it would be tough,” Wilson said. “My daughters are interested in the game, but they’re not going to own the team.”
The future of the Bills is an issue that won’t go away because of the collective fear among Western New Yorkers over the prospect of some billionaire from another city buying the team and moving it out of town. While Wilson has stated on numerous occasions in the past decade that the team will be sold after he’s gone, it is common knowledge in the Bills’ organization that the subject is one Wilson hates to discuss. “I’m interested in winning a few games, not talking about this other stuff,” Wilson said. “You don’t know what’s going to happen in the future. Nobody does.” Wilson said he thinks it’s possible someone who wants to keep the team in Buffalo could buy the team, but he said he currently has no inside information on who that might be.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2906872

Ralph Wilson told The Buffalo News that the team will be sold after he dies and that he does not plan to leave the Bills to his wife, Mary.

Wilson said he would not consider selling part of the team to someone in Western New York while he's still alive to give that person the chance to eventually take over the club.

"That's absolutely out," he said.

HHURRICANE
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2007/06/17/ralph-wilson-says-he-wont-sell-the-bills/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2906872

Wilson is POS as we all know.

Typ0
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Thank you YardRat. I am pretty sure he made the comment about the auction in a press conference but don't have that transcript either. I'm sure if I worked on it for a day or two I could piece all of this together again and that it would be drawn and confirmed from RW making similar comments at different times. People can believe what they want to believe anyway it's no skin off my back I don't have a day to work on this.