PDA

View Full Version : Chris Browns continues to drop hints on Cowher...

Michael82
01-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Listen, we all know that he is only allowed to say what the Bills tell him to. If the Buffalo Bills were really not serious about getting Bill Cowher, they would most likely tell Brown to STFU about him and quit mentioning his name. For him to post something like this, makes me wonder....

Bills Hall of Fame RB Thurman Thomas gave a shout out to Bill Cowher on his twitter account.

Thomas tried to appeal to Cowher by sharing with him the rabid fan following in Buffalo in one of his recent twitter posts.

thurmanthomas (http://twitter.com/thurmanthomas) Hey Cowher, besides The Steeler and Cowboys, this the best Fan Base. Not Tampa or Carolina, r any other team period!!!!!

As much as I agree with Thurman on the fan base (and Thurman, I like the passion), I don’t think that’s a potential sticking point, if there is one, for Cowher. How aggressive the team is willing to be in free agency and final say on personnel decisions are more of what Cowher is interested in getting clarification on if things have even gotten that far.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/01/07/thurman-gives-shout-out-to-cowher/

Michael82
01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
BTW...isn't that bolded statement exactly what Joe Logan said? Hmmm.... :scratch:

hydro
01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
And the plot thickens again...

k-oneputt
01-07-2010, 11:17 AM
If they are gonna pay Cowher big money those shouldn't even be issues.

ddaryl
01-07-2010, 11:20 AM
the plot is so damn thick I lost one my boots in the sludge

and yes.. if we're going big with Cowher then we need ot match that with a big opportunity to bring in real stud football players

1/2 the reason for Cowher is to attract FA's

BigZ
01-07-2010, 11:22 AM
the plot is so damn thick I lost one my boots in the sludge

and yes.. if we're going big with Cowher then we need ot match that with a big opportunity to bring in real stud football players

1/2 the reason for Cowher is to attract FA's

I hope it's only sludge.

polishdreamer
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
BTW...isn't that bolded statement exactly what Joe Logan said? Hmmm.... :scratch:

:mybills: Thurman is Joe Logan? Are you sure this matches what he said or are you trying to defend Pat ?

Mudflap1
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I must say... Chris Brown's comments and Joe Logan's comments are identical.

Bone
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
If we get Cowher is will cry in happiness!

polishdreamer
01-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Won't we all?

WagonCircler
01-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Nonsense.

Joe Logan was talking about Bill Cowler. :D

Novacane
01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
He makes it sound like he knows something then ends it with "if things have even gotten that far" Nice try Chris.

It's looking more and more like ole Joe Logan knows what he's talking about.

NorthCarBills
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
He makes it sound like he knows something then ends it with "if things have even gotten that far" Nice try Chris.

And if you dispute Joe Logan....
http://www.dreamagic.com/roger/enterTheDragon.gif

jimbohastle51
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
i hope by this leaking it make sit even harder for the Bills to not give cowher what he wants. now we would actually know why if cowher says no. because ralph didnt want to pay cowher, his assistants and a couple of pricey free agents cowher might bring in to speed up his rebuilding project.

Mudflap1
01-07-2010, 11:55 AM
i hope by this leaking it make sit even harder for the Bills to not give cowher what he wants. now we would actually know why if cowher says no. because ralph didnt want to pay cowher, his assistants and a couple of pricey free agents cowher might bring in to speed up his rebuilding project.

Good point. Ralph can't get away with saying "I was willing to pay him" he has to go all in and do this thing right.

elltrain22
01-07-2010, 11:56 AM

Yeah it is. I thought that sounded familiar. I tell ya this Joe Logan guy is giving me some renewed hope.

madness
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm going with...

Chris Brown is Logan's source and a certain college OC of a southern school is Sal's.

realdealryan
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
"if I was even allowed to tell you things have gotten that far" is more like it

ddaryl
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
How aggressive the team is willing to be in free agency and final say on personnel decisions are more of what Cowher is interested in getting clarification on if things have even gotten that far.

and this is a good reason for a little "Bill" board pressure on Ralph

WE WANT THIS GUY
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/bc6-300x124.jpg

THRILLHO
01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I am not sure how this is even close to a "hint". Remember last year, with all the Cutler/T. Scheffler trade rumors? I am pretty sure C.B. was talking about those, even though there is nothing to them. And why would the Bills want him to stop talking about Cowher? I am sure they are getting GREAT publicity from just the rumors, no way they would tell him to hush it.

Mudflap1
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I wonder if Chris Brown will get fired over this, or is this a strategic move by Russ Brandon to get the pressure out there on Ralph? There is definitely smoke to this post by Brown. He is always very low key, and all of a sudden there are multiple tweets/posts/sources saying the same thing -- contract and fan base not the issue, personnel decisions and player budget are.

ParanoidAndroid
If Wilson is willing to spend if the uncapped year comes to fruition, then we have a chance....

realdealryan
And why would the Bills want him to stop talking about Cowher? I am sure they are getting GREAT publicity from just the rumors, no way they would tell him to hush it.

Are you kidding me? Coaching news right now - Shanahan; player news - Cribbs asking for a trade. If this was a "real" team it might be equal to "Favrewatch", a news story that didn't have to get a break to run every single day on NFLN.

elltrain22

me too

Mudflap1
01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I am not sure how this is even close to a "hint". Remember last year, with all the Cutler/T. Scheffler trade rumors? I am pretty sure C.B. was talking about those, even though there is nothing to them. And why would the Bills want him to stop talking about Cowher? I am sure they are getting GREAT publicity from just the rumors, no way they would tell him to hush it.

I'm officially buying the conspiracy theory right now that Cowher is OK with contract and fanbase, but is negotiating budget and other authorities. Reason being, Brown is VERY conservative with what he says. However, he went out of his way to make a definitive statement about what the sticking points with Cowher would be, then added the caveat of "if it's even gone that far". Why would he bother to say that if he didn't know something?

realdealryan
01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I wonder if Chris Brown will get fired over this, or is this a strategic move by Russ Brandon to get the pressure out there on Ralph? There is definitely smoke to this post by Brown. He is always very low key, and all of a sudden there are multiple tweets/posts/sources saying the same thing -- contract and fan base not the issue, personnel decisions and player budget are.

It's definitely out of character for him to speak up like this.

Are Buffalo brass pissed that almost every major news network assumes he will sit out rather than coach for us?

Mudflap1
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
If Wilson is willing to spend if the uncapped year comes to fruition, then we have a chance....

The uncapped year is not as big of an issue as everyone thinks. Most owners are unified not to overspend. Second, if there is an uncapped year, virtually all of the big free agents that would be available are not, because there is a clause that triggers all four year contracts to be come six year contracts. There are checks and balances in place to ensure that spending doesn't go out of control.

The only way good players will be available in free agency is if some team that doesn't care about it's fanbase at all (like the Rams) cuts whomever they have that has any value, which aren't many, to save a few bucks.

As for the draft, owners already aren't happy about what they have to pay first round picks. There may be more holdouts in training camp, but I don't think the pecking order of first round pick salaries will change much from what it's been over the past few years.

Mudflap1
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
It's definitely out of character for him to speak up like this.

Are Buffalo brass pissed that almost every major news network assumes he will sit out rather than coach for us?

I'm going with Ralph being non-committal about player budget, assistant coach budget, final authority, etc., and "someone" leaking this info out there so that Ralph would feel completely ashamed that he could've had Bill Cowher coach the Bills, but let it get away because he was too cheap on players, assistants, etc. again.

I would like to reiterate that Cowher coached at Pittsburgh before, who is not the biggest spender themselves. So I doubt Cowher is being unreasonable with his demands. He just wants to be competitive.

Demon
01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Are you kidding me? Coaching news right now - Shanahan; player news - Cribbs asking for a trade. If this was a "real" team it might be equal to "Favrewatch", a news story that didn't have to get a break to run every single day on NFLN.

lol oh man, how far have we fallen?

WagonCircler
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm going with Ralph being non-committal about player budget, assistant coach budget, final authority, etc., and "someone" leaking this info out there so that Ralph would feel completely ashamed that he could've had Bill Cowher coach the Bills, but let it get away because he was too cheap on players, assistants, etc. again.

I would like to reiterate that Cowher coached at Pittsburgh before, who is not the biggest spender themselves. So I doubt Cowher is being unreasonable with his demands. He just wants to be competitive.

Excellent points.

I've always felt that Pittsburgh's frugality played a role in Cowher's early retirement.

I have to think that always having to replace lost FA's like Plaxico Burress and others without ever signing any significant FA's makes a Coach's job that much harder and more stressful.

SABURZFAN
01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

:monkeyp: Chris Brown

SABURZFAN
01-07-2010, 01:49 PM

don't count on it. i think the previous Shanahan talks and the current Cowher talks are all BS. The Old Fart has never in his 50 years as an owner... HAS NEVER been willing to spend. it's all talk to make it look as if he was going to delve out money but reality will set in when the Bills HC is somebody who will make HALF of what the Shanahan talks were and nowhere near what Cowher is demanding.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2010, 01:53 PM
if im not mistaken didnt ralph wilson give jim kelly the richest contract for qbs in 86 and bennett the richest contract for lbs in 87 and bruce smith the richest contract for dlineman twice, didnt ralph wilson sign takeo spikes, didnt ralph wilson build a new stadium in 73, and didnt wilson give thurman, reed reich and spielman huge contracts.... ralph wilson is not cheap...

Luisito23
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Spending money on players, and spending money on coaches is a whole different thing Dellapelle.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
if hes willing to spend big on players, then im sure he is willing to give cowher the confidence and reassurance that he will spend big to keep their own fas and spend to get coordinators..

Luisito23
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Coaches come straight from his pockets which is why he has always hired cheap bums...Players do not which is why every now, and then he throws us a bone.

trapezeus
01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
the arguement with ralph is that he doesn't spend to the cap (which has its own level of complaints) and he has cut overall expenses by not getting the right coaches in. There is no cap on coaches. So if he limits it to cheaper personnel, which he pretty much always has done, he can spend for a few players here and there.

But the team is like $20+MM under cap. and they've had some of the cheapest no name coaches for the last 30+years. Marv didn't come very expensive.

So that's where he gets the reputation. He spends here and there, but he never seems to have a plan. It's like a woman spending a ton on shopping trips on thing she doesn't need vs. a man who usually does all his homework on large important purchases. If ralph had a plan and executed instead of feeling like he has to make token gestures to prove he isn't clueless on how to run his own organization.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I wonder what happen to "I'm will to do what ever it takes" and "the people that call me cheap are on the wrong side of the street"?

Looks too me like Ralph's the one on the wrong side of the street. I hope he hurries up and crosses the street.

better days
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Coaches come straight from his pockets which is why he has always hired cheap bums...Players do not which is why every now, and then he throws us a bone.

Until recently there was no cap. owners received a percentage of money from TV & the gate. How they spent it was their business. In the time period mentioned with Kelly & the others, there was no cap so Ralph did not have to spend that money on players if he chose not to.

Mudflap1
01-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Bump for the new guy...

SABURZFAN
01-08-2010, 08:28 AM
if im not mistaken didnt ralph wilson give jim kelly the richest contract for qbs in 86 and bennett the richest contract for lbs in 87 and bruce smith the richest contract for dlineman twice, didnt ralph wilson sign takeo spikes, didnt ralph wilson build a new stadium in 73, and didnt wilson give thurman, reed reich and spielman huge contracts.... ralph wilson is not cheap...

:roflmao:

individual contracts pale in comparison when you compare overall team spending. in 50 years, how many times do you think the Bills have been in the top 10 in spending?

El Guapo
01-08-2010, 08:58 AM
:roflmao:

individual contracts pale in comparison when you compare overall team spending. in 50 years, how many times do you think the Bills have been in the top 10 in spending?

In 50 years, how many times have the Bills been in the top ten in earnings?

SABURZFAN
01-08-2010, 09:21 AM
In 50 years, how many times have the Bills been in the top ten in earnings?

don't know but you can't make top 10 money when you're fielding a crappy product year in and year out.

BillsWin
01-08-2010, 09:28 AM
don't count on it. i think the previous Shanahan talks and the current Cowher talks are all BS. The Old Fart has never in his 50 years as an owner... HAS NEVER been willing to spend. it's all talk to make it look as if he was going to delve out money but reality will set in when the Bills HC is somebody who will make HALF of what the Shanahan talks were and nowhere near what Cowher is demanding.

Staring death in the face changes a man.

Think of Ralph as scrooge. Once the old man saw his own tombstone he decided maybe money wasn't everything after all.

Did I really just type that?

Must still be in the Christmas spirit.