• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Fox " Offered The Opportunity To Return " Doesn't Mean He Will Yet

Since were spinning ideas to kill time, I did some reading on the Fox situation in Carolina. Although he was offered "the opportunity to return" for the last year of his deal, he's not getting an extension being offered to him. Reports are he's still thinking about whether he truely wishes to return and is upset they won't talk a new deal with him. Soooooooooo...

Maybe Cowher IS waiting a few more days to see what happens here, since he's all out of options outside the Bills or sitting next to those cackling idiots at CBS.

So here's the thinking.

1. Cowher is the obvious preference and still may come but is waiting out the Carolina situation to finally conclude, which should be over the next few days.
    2. If Fox presses the issue for job security ( which he would do soon to help his asst. coaches know their fututre), Carolina would probably can Fox.
    3. Now Cowher would obviously talk to Carolina and I would believe that would be his preference, which is understandable.
    4. The Bills love Fox and would be ALL over him instantly. Plus most of his staff would come with him.
    5. Leslie Frazier and a couple others are fall back options, if the above doesn't happen. Otherwise, they would have hired him already.

Let's see how this plays out but I like this scenerio, however created, the best.

John Fox and his staff would be a hell of a fallback option, if Cowher isn't coming.

Time, time, time..is on our side...yes it is..

Take that , Joe Logan !
    Last edited by Night Train; 01-08-2010, 05:44 AM.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Fox " Offered The Opportunity To Return " Doesn't Mean He Will Yet

Not that I'm being disagreeable, because I support the part of your scenario about Cowher (I've maintained Buffalo was a just a leverage point from the start), but I haven't seen anything legit that confirms OBD is so enamored with Fox and I have seen speculation that Cleveland might be a more likely landing spot for him and his staff.

It is just as likely to end up Cowher/Carolina, Fox/Cleveland, Rivera (my guess) or Frazier/Buffalo.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
      • Jul 2005

Technically, owner Jerry Richardson could ask for picks if Fox wanted out.. but once your employee forces the issue, you need to let him go and get your own coaching situation squared away.

Another factor of course is the expected lockout after next season and Richardson not wishing to burn $$.

Fox could really be a thorn if he pushes this and it DOESN'T seem over at all.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Night Train
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
        I have seen speculation that Cleveland might be a more likely landing spot for him and his staff.
        You must be talking about 2011 because Holmgren just announced yesterday Mangini and the staff are staying.

Comment

• realdealryan
          realdealrex
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
          Not that I'm being disagreeable, because I support the part of your scenario about Cowher (I've maintained Buffalo was a just a leverage point from the start), but I haven't seen anything legit that confirms OBD is so enamored with Fox and I have seen speculation that Cleveland might be a more likely landing spot for him and his staff.

It is just as likely to end up Cowher/Carolina, Fox/Cleveland, Rivera (my guess) or Frazier/Buffalo.
          Mike Holmgren won't meet with the media Thursday after making the decision heard around the league, but he has released a statement.

Did I miss something? The Browns confirmed the return of Mangini yesterday.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

My bad...I missed yesterday's announcement. Thanks for the info.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

IF that happened, and I still have my doubts about the seriousness of both sides in the Cowher-Carolina deal, then I would love John Fox as a consolation.

Comment

• BigZ
                • Sep 2003

I wouldn't have minded the Fox to Buffalo option but I've read that Richardson has already said that considering the uncertainty of the season after next, he'd be looking to promote from within if Fox opted out.

My guess is that Buffalo, Oakland and maybe Dallas if Wade screws the pooch this weekend will be the only openings. Cowher may wait to see what happens but I can't see him at Oakland. We should have resolution next week if we're not really high on one of the coordinators in the playoffs.

Comment

• Night Train
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by zielinski
                  I wouldn't have minded the Fox to Buffalo option but I've read that Richardson has already said that considering the uncertainty of the season after next, he'd be looking to promote from within if Fox opted out.

My guess is that Buffalo, Oakland and maybe Dallas if Wade screws the pooch this weekend will be the only openings. Cowher may wait to see what happens but I can't see him at Oakland. We should have resolution next week if we're not really high on one of the coordinators in the playoffs.
                  I was shocked that Parcells ever went to work for Jones in Dallas. I can't see Cowher there at all, if Phillips got canned.. You think Ralph meddles ? Holy hell.

Comment

Working...
                  X