PDA

View Full Version : Should Bills look to stick with a 4-3 defense?

patmoran2006
01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
While rumors and speculation continue to swirl from every frequented and obscure corner of the Internet, we’ll add a bit of our own to the mix. Does it seem to anyone else that the Bills are targeting candidates that are proponents of a 4-3 defensive scheme?

Clearly, this isn’t an exact science, and every coach will have different schematic preferences. What we do know for sure, however, is that the Bills have formally interviewed two candidates: former interim head coach Perry Fewell and Minnesota’s assistant head coach and defensive coordinator, Leslie Frazier. Both cut their coaching teeth teaching 4-3 defensive systems.

Those are the only two coaches that have, to this point, been reliably linked to Buffalo’s job opening – the only current coaching job up for grabs, by the way. The list of candidates that have been linked to the position by experts is much lengthier, and while the Bills have had contact with only one of those men, a pattern is developing.

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/should-bills-look-to-stick-with-a-4-3-defense/)

patmoran2006
01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
ouch.. Non coaching!

Jeff1220
01-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't think a 3-4 is necessary, but ditching the Cover 2 should be.

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
As I just said in my Mock Draft thread;

Personally I was a system where we aggressively blitz, use versatile players, and get big physical corners who can jam at the line. You can do that out of a base 4-3, or the 3-4. The system we use does not matter to me as long as the philosophy is correct.

Mr Hotstepper
01-08-2010, 11:50 AM
If Schobel retires, IMO we have no reason to stay in a 4-3.

If he stays, I feel we're kinda pigeon holed to stay 4-3.

PECKERWOOD
01-08-2010, 11:50 AM
What's awesome about the 3-4 is that the QB never knows where the blitz is going to come from. It's so much easier to get pressure from trickeration than it is from straight up domination. Plus, you can do tricky stuff like dropping random linebackers off into coverage, which will really rattle a QB and make them think twice about throwing that ball. All around, the 3-4 is just a much better defense.

madness
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
As I just said in my Mock Draft thread;

I second that!

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
What's awesome about the 3-4 is that the QB never knows where the blitz is going to come from. It's so much easier to get pressure from trickeration than it is from straight up domination. Plus, you can do tricky stuff like dropping random linebackers off into coverage, which will really rattle a QB and make them think twice about throwing that ball. All around, the 3-4 is just a much better defense.

You can do all of those things with a 4-3 as well, including making all 4 down lineman DE's, or doing a 1-6 alignment (not its name) with only 1 guy with his hand down and the rest standing.

You can be tricky with any alignment, its all about the defensive philosophy.

Jaybird
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM

You can do the same thing in a 4-3, drop off a DE into a zone or coverage

HHURRICANE
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
I will let a real coach decide this.

Since none looks like they are coming here I ask: does it really matter?

ddaryl
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I am a much bigger fan of the 3-4 and having 3 larger DL and 4 larger LB's instead of the 4-3 which we seem to employ feather weights in about 5 of those 7 positions

Jaybird
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I am a much bigger fan of the 3-4 and having 3 larger DL and 4 larger LB's instead of the 4-3 which we seem to employ feather weights in about 5 of those 7 positions

Sounds like you are referring to the cover 2 philosophy. A 4-3 doesn't require light feather weight linebackers.

Nighthawk
01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
If they keep the Cover 2 scheme, then it proves this organization is dumber then even we thought!

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Sounds like you are referring to the cover 2 philosophy. A 4-3 doesn't require light feather weight linebackers.

NYG runs a very good version of the Base 4-3 that I would like to see us employ.

Nighthawk
01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
NYG runs a very good version of the Base 4-3 that I would like to see us employ.

Exactly...you can run a competent 4-3...just not when it is the Cover 2. I don't want anything to do with that defense any longer!

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Exactly...you can run a competent 4-3...just not when it is the Cover 2. I don't want anything to do with that defense any longer!

Ill take the Cover 2 if they make a frigging commitment to bringing in the right players to run it. We know it can win in the NFL and win the big game, the difference is getting us the damn players to run it.

Personally however I prefer the Base 4-3.

Jaybird
01-08-2010, 12:04 PM
That they do. They didn't perform well this season, but that's the players not the philosophy.

The ravens are another team that run a good version, but its not a standard 4-3 they do a little hybrid. I know Ray Lewis has said in the past he prefers playing the 4-3 over a 3-4 with is why their base D is a 4-3 alignment

Nighthawk
01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Ill take the Cover 2 if they make a frigging commitment to bringing in the right players to run it. We know it can win in the NFL and win the big game, the difference is getting us the damn players to run it.

Personally however I prefer the Base 4-3.

As far as I'm concerned, I've only seen one team run the Cover 2 effectively and that is the Bucs. The Colts do not win because of their defense, they win because of Manning. The Bears defense played OK with it, but had only one season where they were really dominant. So, how successful the Cover 2 has been in the NFL is debatable.

DraftBoy
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I've only seen one team run the Cover 2 effectively and that is the Bucs. The Colts do not win because of their defense, they win because of Manning. The Bears defense played OK with it, but had only one season where they were really dominant. So, how successful the Cover 2 has been in the NFL is debatable.

The Colts did not win despite their defense either, it was effective, but no it was not the Ravens dominant defense.

The Bears were pretty successful with the Cover 2 Id argue not just ok.

Ingtar33
01-08-2010, 02:38 PM
That they do. They didn't perform well this season, but that's the players not the philosophy.

The ravens are another team that run a good version, but its not a standard 4-3 they do a little hybrid. I know Ray Lewis has said in the past he prefers playing the 4-3 over a 3-4 with is why their base D is a 4-3 alignment

the Ravens run a 3-4 hybrid... its not a true 3-4 but it's a 3-4 in the sense they field 3 linemen and 4 LBers.

Their hybrid version covers Ray Lewis with NT Gregg, DE Ngata and ILB Gooden; purposefully eating blockers allowing Lewis to roam free. It's a variation on the 3-4, that's pretty much uniquely been designed for Lewis. Setting that aside.

As a HC and former OC and former QB, i prefer to play the 3-4 with my squad. You're always limited in what you play by your personnel... but the 3-4 allows you to present a much more flexible front 7, and exotic blitz packages and looks without compromising the gap control of your run defense. That said i think Ultimately, no matter what front you run a 2-gap system is far more appealing then a 1 gap, and you always need the right athletes to play your system no matter what you wish to play.

If you need another reason to play it then those i provided above... I like the 3-4 in the NFL because it's more salary cap friendly then the 4-3.

Raptor
01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I dont really care as long as the base isnt in the Tampa 2