PDA

View Full Version : OJ to cowher

trapezeus
01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
OJ kind of brought in the worst of Buffalo Bills sports. with his stupid never ending trial, the bills went from a perennial superbowl team to a team that fell over itself.

We need a new celebrity to pick us back up. I believe it's got to be cowher who usher's in a new era. anything less spectacular than that, and it's another 10 year dud's ville.

X-Era
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
OJ kind of brought in the worst of Buffalo Bills sports. with his stupid never ending trial, the bills went from a perennial superbowl team to a team that fell over itself.

We need a new celebrity to pick us back up. I believe it's got to be cowher who usher's in a new era. anything less spectacular than that, and it's another 10 year dud's ville.

I dont care as much about the celebrity status as I care about a guy who gets the most out of a small market team and has a SB and numerous playoff appearances.

Pedigree can force this team to change IMO.

Beebe's Kid
01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I want Cowher as much as the next guy...but to make a statement like that is a little bit preposterous. There is really no way of knowing, and if we don't get Cowher, we're still Bills fans.

The news is slow, but to turn to trademark negativity the Eeyore attitude is nuts. TBD has a lot of that...you can go there and be pleasantly surprised at the new depths you can be drug down to.

If the Bills don't get Cowher, we get the next best guy, and we spend the money we saved on FA's and staffing and we get back to winning football in WNY.

Michael82
01-08-2010, 03:22 PM
When we usher in this new era with Cowher...I hope he also brings some new uniforms or else helps us bring back the Super Bowl era unis. :pray:

trapezeus
01-08-2010, 03:27 PM
celebrity was the link between the two, but you can't deny that OJ's run in also coincided with the fall of the bills greatness.

We need a huge pick me up, just like how we had a huge blow. Cowher is the only guy to take us back to the promised land.

trapezeus
01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I want Cowher as much as the next guy...but to make a statement like that is a little bit preposterous. There is really no way of knowing, and if we don't get Cowher, we're still Bills fans.

The news is slow, but to turn to trademark negativity the Eeyore attitude is nuts. TBD has a lot of that...you can go there and be pleasantly surprised at the new depths you can be drug down to.

If the Bills don't get Cowher, we get the next best guy, and we spend the money we saved on FA's and staffing and we get back to winning football in WNY.

i fail to see how it's negative.

i think the bills are either going all in on cowher, or they'll just go back to their normal ways and pout that they tried.

Logic says that the bills could take savings and build a great team with a different (next best) coach.

but history says they'll take the savings and make you pay for it again.

I really think this team is on the cusp of making a very positive change. if they fail, i can see them falling harder than before. That's why i think so much rides on this.

Jan Reimers
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Trap, you're one of my favorite posters - even in the Spin Zone, where we have mostly opposing political views - but I disagree with you here. OJ's problems, years after his leaving the Bills, have nothing to do with our on-field demise.

And Cowher is not the only answer to our 10 years of futility. A young, bright coordinator hired as HC, plus another good draft and an infusion of FA talent, might very well put us on the road to success.

trapezeus
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
ok, i see why people disagree with me.

i am not trying to correlate the bills losing to OJ's scandal. but to me, when OJ's thing came up, you rarely heard about Buffalo in a positive light. the bills took a back seat and it was only former Buffalo bill star, OJ simpson.

and then the team sucked. and the media got even more un interested in the team. and for a bit there it felt like they were rooting for us to move. then they just didn't care.

now they kind of write us off like we aren't even in the league. and the bills have definitely made that bed, but i think if they stun the sports world by bringing a very real HC with a winning attitude, they'll be hard pressed to ignore the fact that the Bills are a real NFL team.

And you add winning to that, they'll pretend like they loved us all along.

I just don't think a hot coordinator (even someone liek Frazier who i thought would be a decent choice mid season when i didn't dare dream of Cowher) is going to bring that swagger back.

Look at 2008. At 5-1 and haven beaten SD, the national media treated us with the same disdain as they did when we were 7-9.

Simply said, we need this more than ever.

Jan Reimers
01-08-2010, 03:47 PM
With regard to Cowher, I don't believe he is necessarily our savior. Very few successful, veteran HCs have duplicated their success with another organization. How many SB winners have won the big prize at their next stop?

trapezeus
01-08-2010, 03:57 PM
True, Jan. That's why i wasn't high on Shanahan. He fits that mold of a big ego guy that demands demands demands, but when he comes up short, refuses to point to himself. The guy canned like 6 DC in 6 years.

cowher has won with terrible QBing and each year the teams had the same focus. "kick ass on defense, run well" 99% of this board believes that's how you win, specifically in buffalo.

He also doesn't strike me as an ego guy. Espeically on the CBS show. he never says anything like, "i'm right, everyone else is wrong. i'm bill effing cowher, baby!" he's very sure, very quick to his points.

I think if he says he wants to coach, he wants to do it.

Beebe's Kid
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
i fail to see how it's negative.

i think the bills are either going all in on cowher, or they'll just go back to their normal ways and pout that they tried.

Logic says that the bills could take savings and build a great team with a different (next best) coach.

but history says they'll take the savings and make you pay for it again.

I really think this team is on the cusp of making a very positive change. if they fail, i can see them falling harder than before. That's why i think so much rides on this.

Buddy Nix, from what I have heard in his interviews, and people that were interviewed concerning the move (please forgive me for not knowing the name, it was on Erie radio, and I was in car) is a mover and shaker.

If we don't get Cowher we go after the next best guy, but we at the very least are going to continue to get good players in the draft. The gentleman on the radio said that Maybin wasn't his pick, but the rest were. He said true NFL insiders know this guy, and he is extremely good at what he does.