Hypothetical Leslie Frazier Hire: Harbinger of a Hellstorm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Midwesternbillsfan
    • Apr 2007

Hypothetical Leslie Frazier Hire: Harbinger of a Hellstorm?

Seems like Frazier's very realistic hire could mean a ****storm of disgusting proportion could be in the forecast for Buffalo. And it'd be for various reasons: A) the residual devastation and frustration for those who have supposedly hitched their fanhood on Cowher or bust (doubtful they follow through, IMO), B) because Frazier's equaniminous and relaxed demeanor conjures up images of Dick Jauron, or C) because some fans will believe that Frazier's success w/the Vikings can be absolutely discredited because of the talent in their front-four.

What's ironic is... Frazier isn't even necessarily a poor hire. And it sure as hell ain't- and it wouldn't be- his fault that the Bills have gone an astounding decade without making the playoffs in a somewhat parity-filled league which has seen at least five new playoff teams (of the 12) from one season to the next every year dating back to 2003. Frazier's hire would be well-received nationally, and for more reasons than the promotion of an African-American coach to head coach; he does fundmentally seem to be respected by most NFL personnel and he may even currently quality as a "hot" coordinator... at least as much as anybody else. But he'd be abhorred here; locally, it'd be a marketing disaster, and Brandon and Nix would need to make a dramatic move to stave off a significant loss of ticket sales (trade of a 2nd for Umenyiora? Frazier's relationship w/Tony Dungy and the Bills' STILL-unsolved QB situation will naturally promote Michael Vick questions- but the fans may "see through that," even if a Vick addition is- primarily- for football purposes).

Anyway, I don't really know where I come out on this. It's getting rather ridiculous the nasty comments levied at Frazier, and for one wouldn't love his hypothetical hire but wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, either. But I do mostly understand the sentiment: after an entire dreadful, detestable decade of postseason-less play, Bills' fans deserve better than another dubiously successful 'experiment.' Anything less than the complete exhaustion of whatever interest Bill Cowher has for this job is probably deservably unacceptable.
  • TheBrownBear
    • Dec 2004

Re: Hypothetical Leslie Frazier Hire: Harbinger of a Hellstorm?

You want to know how it would be spun by the national media.....
    RACISM.

And yes, folks, that is not an indictment of you (and me) as fans, but of the media. And you better believe that is how it would play out.
    Last edited by TheBrownBear; 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• T-Long
      Circling the Wagons since 1982.
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Midwesternbillsfan
      Seems like Frazier's very realistic hire could mean a ****storm of disgusting proportion could be in the forecast for Buffalo. And it'd be for various reasons: A) the residual devastation and frustration for those who have supposedly hitched their fanhood on Cowher or bust (doubtful they follow through, IMO), B) because Frazier's equaniminous and relaxed demeanor conjures up images of Dick Jauron, or C) because some fans will believe that Frazier's success w/the Vikings can be absolutely discredited because of the talent in their front-four.

What's ironic is... Frazier isn't even necessarily a poor hire. And it sure as hell ain't- and it wouldn't be- his fault that the Bills have gone an astounding decade without making the playoffs in a somewhat parity-filled league which has seen at least five new playoff teams (of the 12) from one season to the next every year dating back to 2003. Frazier's hire would be well-received nationally, and for more reasons than the promotion of an African-American coach to head coach; he does fundmentally seem to be respected by most NFL personnel and he may even currently quality as a "hot" coordinator... at least as much as anybody else. But he'd be abhorred here; locally, it'd be a marketing disaster, and Brandon and Nix would need to make a dramatic move to stave off a significant loss of ticket sales (trade of a 2nd for Umenyiora? Frazier's relationship w/Tony Dungy and the Bills' STILL-unsolved QB situation will naturally promote Michael Vick questions- but the fans may "see through that," even if a Vick addition is- primarily- for football purposes).

Anyway, I don't really know where I come out on this. It's getting rather ridiculous the nasty comments levied at Frazier, and for one wouldn't love his hypothetical hire but wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, either. But I do mostly understand the sentiment: after an entire dreadful, detestable decade of postseason-less play, Bills' fans deserve better than another dubiously successful 'experiment.' Anything less than the complete exhaustion of whatever interest Bill Cowher has for this job is probably deservably unacceptable.
      very well said.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

nobody has answered this but what makes frazier even qualified???

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
          Experience. A reputation as a good football mind, a good teacher and a quality person. Success as a coordinator. The same qualities that get every coordinator his first HC position.
          Last edited by Jan Reimers; 01-09-2010, 07:23 AM.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mikemac2001
            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
            • Mar 2003

will he go for it on a 4th and 1 inside the opp 40?

to be honest if he wouldn't 99% of the time i don't want him

MUCK
            FIAMI

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

look at the guy's resume. he has been coaching teams like the 85 bears, the eagles, and minny over 20 years.

like donahoe, we'll have to find out how much of that was brilliant coaching and how much of it is having great personnel.

"the waiting drove me mad"

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
                • Apr 2007

I'm not endorsing him; I am staunchly in the "Do everything to entice Bill Cowher first" camp. But here's what Frazier seemingly has in his favor:

A) Albeit at tiny Trinity International, he does have HC'ing experience. At least at a collegiate level- albeit the NFL's an entirely different ballgame- he was a successful leader or men because the one-time incipient Trinity College was pretty successful in his nine years there.

B) He has worked w/many proven NFL head coaches and they may have made didactic impressions on him: among others, Frazier has worked w/Andy Reid in Philadelphia, Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, and Dungy in Indianapolis, for example. And it's possible that Frazier has worked w/enough successful NFL personnel to assemble a better staff than most coordinator candidates.

C) His defenses have been generally opportunistic. Obviously he has the necessary talent w/the Vikings now but he made a demonstrative difference w/the Eagles' and Colts' secondaries and his '04 Cincinnati Bengals forced 36 turnovers (that wasn't enough to save his job; but he probably still did more w/less in Cincinnati).

D) His Vikings' defense is quite impressive. I know, I know... the Williams' duo at DT and the madman Allen at RDE; mostly fair enough. But they've nevertheless been successful, and if you believe that any amount of defensive talent is tantamount to necessarily succeeding look at all the talent that Bill Sheridan wasted in New York this year w/the Giants? More than a few injuries, sure (Chris Canty; Antonio Pierce; Kenny Phillips; Aaron Ross), but look at how badly squandered a defense comprised of talent like Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Matthias Kiwanuka, Fred Robbins, Rocky Bernard, Barry Coefield, Michael Boley, and Corey Webster still was? At least Frazier hasn't mismanaged Minnesota's talent.
                Last edited by Midwesternbillsfan; 01-08-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus

"the waiting drove me mad"
                  "Now, (Frazier's) here and I'm a mess!"

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

I am not sure what you mean by disgusting proportion. If you mean the fans would all be up in arms about the Bills hiring another unqualified coordinator when Nix said he would prefer to hire a person with HC experience then yes the answer is D.

I would much rather see the Bills keep Fewell as HC than hire Frazer if they were to go that route.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

The Bills lost any opportunity to prove us wrong. They need to give the fans a pick they can sign off on.

Sorry, but Gregg Williams is probably considered a better head coaching prospect this very moment than Frazier and we already tried him.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        The Bills lost any opportunity to prove us wrong. They need to give the fans a pick they can sign off on.

Sorry, but Gregg Williams is probably considered a better head coaching prospect this very moment than Frazier and we already tried him.
                        Well, Gregg does have HC experience, as does Perry where Leslie has none.

Comment

• baalworship
                          • May 2003

If you like the guy great. But you can't make those who want a fiery coach or an aggressive scheme want this guy. I wouldn't want Tony Dungy so why would I want Leslie Frazier. He hasn't been a terrible coordinator but he certainly hasn't impressed me.

I am sick of soft schemes, players, and coaches. I want someone to come in here that is innovative and a play to win mentality. Frazier doesn't cut it on that front.

This guy screams play not to lose. Sounds like Dick Jauron football.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by better days
                            I am not sure what you mean by disgusting proportion. If you mean the fans would all be up in arms about the Bills hiring another unqualified coordinator when Nix said he would prefer to hire a person with HC experience then yes the answer is D.

I would much rather see the Bills keep Fewell as HC than hire Frazer if they were to go that route.
                            Please explain how you know that Frazier is "another unqualified coordinator."
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by baalworship
                              If you like the guy great. But you can't make those who want a fiery coach or an aggressive scheme want this guy. I wouldn't want Tony Dungy so why would I want Leslie Frazier. He hasn't been a terrible coordinator but he certainly hasn't impressed me.

I am sick of soft schemes, players, and coaches. I want someone to come in here that is innovative and a play to win mentality. Frazier doesn't cut it on that front.

This guy screams play not to lose. Sounds like Dick Jauron football.
                              A lot of people seem to projecting a lot of Jauron head coaching tendencies onto Frazier. I certainly can't definitively say that they're wrong- it's tantalogical because he's never been a head coach in NFL- but nobody can certainly unquestionably say that they're right, either, certainly not simply because both own pretty stoic demeanors. Frazier's Vikings' defenses do, though, seem to be relatively aggressive, mixing up blitzing schemes by often sending the likes of Ben Leber and Chad Greenway at LB'er or Madieu Williams at safety on blitzes. And if you can effectively generate a pass rush w/your front-four, anyway (primarily Jaren Allen, Kevin Williams, and to a lesser degree, Ray Edwards), why wouldn't you maximize the amount of players you can drop into coverage?

Comment

Working...
                              X