PDA

View Full Version : Bills owner unsure if Cowher is interested in job

Ed
01-08-2010, 04:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4809519

It's really nothing to get worked up over, but speculate away...

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 04:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=4809506

"BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Bills owner Ralph Wilson says the team has spoken to Bill Cowher about its coaching vacancy, but Wilson isn't sure whether the former Steelers coach is interested.

"You'd have to ask him," Wilson told The Associated Press in a phone interview Friday from his home in suburban Detroit.

Cowher, who works as an NFL analyst for CBS, has declined to comment about his future.

Wilson did say the Bills' search continues, and couldn't provide a timetable as to when a hire will be made. He said the team will not rushing into deciding who will replace Dick Jauron, who was fired in November.

Wilson added he doesn't have a preference on whether the new coach has an offensive or defensive background.
"

X-Era

Only thing it tells us is that we have indeed talked to, or are talking with him.

SquishDaFish
Oh Man not what I wanted to see

SquishDaFish
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Man not encouraging at all

Prov401
01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
So it's in Cowher's court. Like it's been said by people like Coach Sal, and what-not...We've done everything we can to get Cowher. Now it's just all up to him.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Eh, I don't think it means that much. Only That Cowher is deciding or decided

Prov401
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Remember. Cowher still is under contract with CBS until the Conference Championships.

X-Era
This just hit NFL Network.

BillsWin
ESPN is trying to put a negative spin on what Wilson says.

He could just be saying, I'm not talking, ask him if you want to.

He's not saying, "I dont think he wants to be here. Ask him for me."

That article is ridonculous.

mikemac2001
SO the billboard could help the push

Dicknoze69
I'm horrified anytime Ralph gives an interview. I wish he'd just decline them all.

X-Era
01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Carucci and Lombardi will comment soon.

Id bet they don't say anything about a source, only speculate.

Jaybird
01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I think the bills have put their cards on the table, it is now time for Bill to negotiate what he would like (beyond salary) and make a decision.

X-Era
01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Just an opinion, I dont have any clue but, Id expect some sort of response from a source on Cowher's side.

Ralph went public, Cowher will probably counter somehow.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
sounds way to flippant and disconnected to make me think anything positive
either they have actually talked soooo little that the contact is irrelevent or Ralph is a master showman

this sucks

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Carucci and Lombardi will comment soon.

Id bet they don't say anything about a source, only speculate.

I don't trust Vic, he has thought Cowher coming here was impossible since day 1

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Just an opinion, I dont have any clue but, Id expect some sort of response from a source on Cowher's side.

Ralph went public, Cowher will probably counter somehow.

Maybe this was done on purpose to force the issue or a way of releasing the news?

Beebe's Kid
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Ralph, despite popular opinion, is a pretty sharp old dude, and there is NO WAY IN HELL, that RW tips his hand to the national media, let alone CBS.

Edit: Sorry, meant ESPN, not CBS

X-Era
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't trust Vic, he has thought Cowher coming here was impossible since day 1

He (Vic) just said that he doesnt think this affects Buffalo in any way. Pure speculation.

JPFBillsFan
01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
This is starting to be ridiculous....you can't make the hot girl love you.....
Plain and simple.....

Either happens or don't......I'm not stressing because I know Nix is really dotting his i's and crossing his t's on this search while Cowher & RW do this dance...

X-Era
So thats it, they never commented on the Bills job directly.

TheBrownBear
sounds way to flippant and disconnected to make me think anything positive
either they have actually talked soooo little that the contact is irrelevent or Ralph is a master showman

this sucks

I tend to agree. For those who are desperate for Cowher, this isn't encouraging news and seems to align with what Clayton, Schefter and the likes have been preaching all along.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
Ralph, despite popular opinion, is a pretty sharp old dude, and there is NO WAY IN HELL, that RW tips his hand to the national media, let alone CBS.

why make a comment like that then?

HHURRICANE
01-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Classic Wilson. Taking a "take it or leave it" attitude with a guy that can take any job he wants.

How about "this is our first choice and i hope we can convince him to come here.

What an arrogant pr***.

X-Era
01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
why make a comment like that then?
I have no idea.

After listening to Ralph dodder around and fumble over himself for so long, I don't really think we can read anything into it, other than that we have indeed made contact.

I kind of took it as a warning shot across the bow. Like, a crap or get off the pot comment.

If you a old, impatient guy, who may have a big contract (I dont know that) hanging out there, I could see that he wants an answer.

BillsWin
01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
All I am going to say, is the ball IS in Cowher's court.

Maybe we should disregard this five word response that really means nothing to those who are not prying it apart and analyzing it with an agenda.

SABuffalo786
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM

The guy's 90+ years old - I don't think he's sure of many things these days.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I can't believe how ESPN spun that quote. Ralph was asked if Cowher was interested and he responded for them to ask Bill. What is wrong with that? That's called deflecting the question. ESPN made it sound like the Bills were completely clueless as to where things were at. Crazy.

HHURRICANE
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Ralph is his own worst PR machine.

Hey Buffalo can't support higher ticket prices but we sell out every game. This guy is clueless. He probably thought he had bought a baseball team with his $25,000.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 04:49 PM
"You'd have to ask him"

That is what this entire story and thread is based off of. That is a nothing, meaningless, quote to deflect media attention. That is such a non-story.

HHURRICANE
I can't believe how ESPN spun that quote. Ralph was asked if Cowher was interested and he responded for them to ask Bill. What is wrong with that? That's called deflecting the question. ESPN made it sound like the Bills were completely clueless as to where things were at. Crazy.

Nooo. This is your stupid owner being coy. Just like bringing the whole financial viability thing into play when it's never, ever, been an issue in Buffalo.

X-Era

Thats why I dont trust that the "big" media knows anything.

I think thats by design.

X-Era
01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
"You'd have to ask him"

That is what this entire story and thread is based off of. That is a nothing, meaningless, quote to deflect media attention. That is such a non-story.

Have to agree.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
Thats why I dont trust that the "big" media knows anything.

I think thats by design.

Yea, a lot of the fools at the main board think that just because none of the talking heads say anything means there is nothing going on.

BillsWin

Thank you! Somebody understands!

Read my above post mudflap.

We should just disregard it. The comment itself is pretty harmless, Ralph, old age, trying to be cute.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Nooo. This is your stupid owner being coy. Just like bringing the whole financial viability thing into play when it's never, ever, been an issue in Buffalo.

He is being coy, period. Why play your hand if you are Ralph? This is a big move for the Bills and a small market city fanbase.

This is a non-story.

X-Era
01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Yea, a lot of the fools at the main board think that just because none of the talking heads say anything means there is nothing going on.
I totally disagree with that mindset.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Thank you! Somebody understands!

Read my above post mudflap.

We should just disregard it. The comment itself is pretty harmless, Ralph, old age, trying to be cute.

I don't even think he's trying to be cute. He's just choosing not to answer any question or put anything on the record. Low profile. Instead of "no comment" which smells more like something is going on, he said "Ask him". Big freaking deal.

Up to this point, I was not buying into the ESPN hate. However, this story shows ESPN is going above and beyond to go out of their way to shoot down any chance of Cowher going to Buffalo. Did they do that with Pete Carroll and Seattle? No, they are all over their jocks. Very strange.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
I totally disagree with that mindset.

I don't have that mindset! I am saying a lot of folks on the main bills board do. They think that just because Clayton or Adam S doesn't report it then it can't possibly be happening

Coach Sal
I, for one, am at least happier right now that the actual talking has become official.

People (even some who are on mainstream radio and TV) were still saying I was making stuff up and that all the other reports we heard meant ****.

As I've said a few times already, the ball is in Cowher's court and has been for at least a few days.

X-Era
01-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't have that mindset! I am saying a lot of folks on the main bills board do. They think that just because Clayton or Adam S doesn't report it then it can't possibly be happening

No, no, I didnt say you did.

X-Era
I, for one, am at least happier right now that the actual talking has become official.

People (even some who are on mainstream radio and TV) were still saying I was making stuff up and that all the other reports we heard meant ****.

As I've said a few times already, the ball is in Cowher's court and has been for at least a few days.

:clap:

TerrellOwensSharpie8

Come to Buffalo now Bill.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
No, no, I didnt say you did.

okay, just making sure. I wonder if there is a timetable for how long Bill has to think about it?

Prov401
01-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Cowher is weighing much more than money.

Obviously he wants back into coaching. It was said last month, and now on consecutive days by Marty and Dungy. However, what's waiting one more year when the Carolina, Dallas, Chicago, Tampa bay, Cleveland, Houston, N.Y Giants, type of teams, could be looking for a new head coach if they miss out on the playoffs. We know Carolina is going to be looking next year for sure.

In Buffalo, Cowher is going to be under so much pressure compared to Carolina, or Tampa Bay. We are so desperate to get into the playoffs, I'm almost positive we would all kick a baby if it were to mean seeing the Buffalo Bills play in the 2nd week of January. We have an aging owner who wants to see us raise that trophy before he dies. Oh and when he dies, there have been 500 conflicting reports onto what happens to the team. Last week we have a stable organization with a plan in place. And this week, we are in the news about possibly moving to L.A.

Cowher is weighing all of his options, and they are as follows.

A. Wait one more year, and work for CBS. Wait for the Carolina job to open up (which is almost 100% certain to do), and coach an hour away from my current home.

B. Coach the Buffalo Bills.

That's about it. There is no way he goes anywhere else, unless Carolina fires Fox. Those are Cowher's options, and I'm sure Buffalo has done all they can. It's up to Cowher.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 04:58 PM

Obviously he wants back into coaching. It was said last month, and now on consecutive days by Marty and Dungy. However, what's waiting one more year when the Carolina, Dallas, Chicago, Tampa bay, Cleveland, Houston, N.Y Giants, type of teams, could be looking for a new head coach if they miss out on the playoffs. We know Carolina is going to be looking next year for sure.

In Buffalo, Cowher is going to be under so much pressure compared to Carolina, or Tampa Bay. We are so desperate to get into the playoffs, I'm almost positive we would all kick a baby if it were to mean seeing the Buffalo Bills play in the 2nd week of January. We have an aging owner who wants to see us raise that trophy before he dies. Oh and when he dies, there have been 500 conflicting reports onto what happens to the team. Last week we have a stable organization with a plan in place. And this week, we are in the news about possibly moving to L.A.

A. Wait one more year, and work for CBS. Wait for the Carolina job to open up (which is almost 100% certain to do), and coach an hour away from my current home.

That's about it. There is no way he goes anywhere else, unless Carolina fires Fox. Those are Cowher's options, and I'm sure Buffalo has done all they can. It's up to Cowher.

Impending doom of 2011 lockout should tip the scales to the Bills

kelly2reed4six
01-08-2010, 04:59 PM
"You'd have to ask him," Wilson told The Associated Press in a phone interview Friday from his home in suburban Detroit.
"
WOW! I LOVE the media! So Wilsom saying "You'd have to ask him" means he doesn't know??

Well of course it does, because then they don't have a story! I love how they twist ***** around!

I say, if Cowher IS hired, we erect another billboard with the text below, folowed by, in BOLD, PAID FOR BY PROUD BILLS FANS!!

http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/3/31/ESPN_Sucks.jpg

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
WOW! I LOVE the media! So Wilsom saying "You'd have to ask him" means he doesn't know??

Well of course it does, because then they don't have a story! I love how they twist ***** around!

I say, if Cowher IS hired, we erect another billboard with the text below, folowed by, in BOLD, PAID FOR BY PROUD BILLS FANS!!

hahahahahahahahaha..... I'd be in favor of putting pictures of Clayton, Adam and Mort up on the board with ESPN FAILS as the text ...of course that wouldn't work out too well

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-08-2010, 05:02 PM

LOL way to circumvent the filters :)

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-08-2010, 05:03 PM

just seeing how many times this can get quoted before DELETE LOL

trapezeus
01-08-2010, 05:08 PM
my repsonse to the article is "ugh"

that sounds like the bills have offered, and cowher is draggin. that doesn't sound like anything is imminent at all. damn it.

i am so volatile right now. i'm like a woman on PMS. this is awful.

JJamezz
01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the conversation went something like this..

Phone rings. Ralph grabs the tv remote, 'Hello? Hello?'

Phone keeps ringing, Ralph checks the front door.

After resetting his alarm clock and checking the microwave (Friday is Salisbury Steak day!), Ralph picks up the phone.

'Hi Mr. Wilson, this is the Associated Press.'

'What? Am I wearing a dress?'

'No.. no.. Mr. Wilson, this is Jim Smith from the Associated Press.'

'No, there's no Jim Smith here, you must have the wrong...'

'NO, MR. WILSON, THIS IS JIM SMITH FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS.'

'Associated Press?'

'YES (phew), Jim Smith from the Associated Press. We were wondering if you would comment on Bill Cowher and your head coaching vacancy?'

Ralph proceeds to tell Jim two very long winded stories about the Sears Tower and how they missed on former first round selection Erik Flowers..

'No.. BILL COWHER.. (whimper).. bill cowher...'

To be continued..

YardRat
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Ralph would look pretty bad and it would probably be even tougher to land anybody of any quality if the team owner came right out and declared who was #1 on the list before anybody was hired.

He's smarter than that, whether some like it or not.

Mahdi
01-08-2010, 05:13 PM

"You'd have to ask him" that part tells it all.

Moving on.....

Aliceinchainsbills15
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM

I really don't believe anything ESPN says about the Bills...

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure the conversation went something like this..

Phone rings. Ralph grabs the tv remote, 'Hello? Hello?'

Phone keeps ringing, Ralph checks the front door.

After resetting his alarm clock and checking the microwave (Friday is Salisbury Steak day!), Ralph picks up the phone.

'Hi Mr. Wilson, this is the Associated Press.'

'What? Am I wearing a dress?'

'No.. no.. Mr. Wilson, this is Jim Smith from the Associated Press.'

'No, there's no Jim Smith here, you must have the wrong...'

'NO, MR. WILSON, THIS IS JIM SMITH FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS.'

'Associated Press?'

'YES (phew), Jim Smith from the Associated Press. We were wondering if you would comment on Bill Cowher and your head coaching vacancy?'

Ralph proceeds to tell Jim two very long winded stories about the Sears Tower and how they missed on former first round selection Erik Flowers..

'No.. BILL COWHER.. (whimper).. bill cowher...'

To be continued..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA hilarious

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 05:22 PM
side note: the rumor thread on the Bills board that was moved into the main section by the Admin and then placed back by a different staff member has once again entered the main forum haha

Dying_-2-_Live
01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
wilson is dragging things out because if we dont hire Cowher, he wants interest to die down first. well we'll have news for him

Novacane
01-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know what to make of this. Can't decide if it's good or bad. As Sal said, at least it's official now

Throne Logic
01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
This is ridiculous. Wilson basically said "no comment".

There is nothing Ralph could have said or done that the ESPN Babble Heads would not have been able to spin into, "Wilson is old and dumb. Buffalo doesn't deserve a good coach, like Cowher. bah bah bah".

wmoz11
01-08-2010, 05:40 PM

I agree with most of your post, however why are so many people so sure that the Carolina job is opening up next year?

They ended this season really well and if Moore keeps progressing, there's a good chance they go 11-5 in that division and Fox gets extended.

It seems like his family is the main sticking point here since it would seem the money is enough (he hasn't turned anything down officially) and he definitely wants to get back into coaching ASAP.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM

There is nothing Ralph could have said or done that the ESPN Babble Heads would not have been able to spin into, "Wilson is old and dumb. Buffalo doesn't deserve a good coach, like Cowher. bah bah bah".

I agree, I really really HATE ESPN

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wirestory?id=9516998&page=1

Bills owner Ralph Wilson confirmed the team has spoken to Bill Cowher about the team's coaching vacancy. Wilson isn't sure whether the former Steelers coach is interested in the job.

"I don't know," Wilson told The Associated Press during a brief interview from his home in suburban Detroit on Friday. "You'd have to ask him."

Though Cowher has been widely speculated as being a candidate for the Bills job, Wilson was the first person to publicly say the Bills have spoken to him. Cowher, who works as an NFL analyst for CBS, has declined to discuss his future.

Wilson stressed that he could not go into much detail about the team's coaching search, but did say it was ongoing as the Bills attempt to fill the job left open after Dick Jauron was fired in November.

Declining to place a timetable on the search, Wilson said "we don't want to rush into hiring a coach just to be hiring somebody quick." He then added: "We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name."

The Bills are one of two teams looking for a new coach after the Seattle Seahawks fired Jim Mora on Friday.

Wilson said the team has no preference in hiring someone with a defensive or offensive background.

"We want to hire a coach who wants to come to Buffalo and be a part of the community, you know what I mean?" Wilson said. "We're looking for a guy with a lot of passion."

Cowher has been regarded as a fan-favorite candidate. A group of fans have raised $1,125 to rent a billboard in Buffalo, set to go up on Monday, urging Wilson to hire Cowher.

The Bills have interviewed at least two other candidates. Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was interviewed in Minnesota on Thursday. Perry Fewell, who succeeded Jauron as the Bills interim coach, was interviewed on Monday.

The search is being led by chief executive officer Russ Brandon and new general manager Buddy Nix.

The Bills might have to put their search on hold until after this weekend's conference wild-card playoff games are over. Under NFL rules, coaches on the eight teams playing this weekend cannot be interviewed for jobs until next week regardless of whether their teams win or lose.

soapman
01-08-2010, 05:49 PM
WOW! Call me an optimist but Ralph as of late has not been the brightest as far as what he says("sometimes it just luck"). Now think back... Mike Mularky interviewed, take to RW for the money and blessing. Gregg Williams the same. Dick and Jim fassel. Tied after interviews...talked to Ralph for final word. The common denominator, our guy didn't talk to Ralph until a blessing was given, money numbers, or a coaching DECISION. I think this is just a case of Ralph talking to much but if you think about it, this may actually be the MOST telling about talks.

patmoran2006
01-08-2010, 05:50 PM
"we don't want to rush into hiring a coach just to be hiring somebody quick." He then added: "We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name."

Seeing that Cowher is the ONLY "splashy" name out there, that doesnt sound good at all.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
Is this Ralph messing around or are we drowning here

Prov401
"We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name."

Pfft...If this is true. No Cowher.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 05:51 PM
"We want to hire a coach who wants to come to Buffalo and be a part of the community, you know what I mean?" Wilson said. "We're looking for a guy with a lot of passion."

Nice, coming from a guy who lives in Detroit.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
"we don't want to rush into hiring a coach just to be hiring somebody quick." He then added: "We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name."

Seeing that Cowher is the ONLY "splashy" name out there, that doesnt sound good at all.

do you think he did that on purpose to make the media look like morons??? I think it is possible. He also might just mean he doesn't want a coach ONLY based on name. Cowher has a big name but a lot of great qualities.

Dying_-2-_Live
Its official...Cowher is not coming to Buffalo... Because Cowher's name is about as splashy as it gets

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Its official...Cowher is not coming to Buffalo... Because Cowher's name is about as splashy as it gets

Maybe Ralph meant he doesn't want Cowher based on his name alone but all the other qualities he has?

Ebenezer
01-08-2010, 05:54 PM
merged three threads

NOT THE DUDE...
01-08-2010, 06:02 PM
**** ralph wilson if this is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Nice quotes Ralph. I guess "splashy names" don't sell tickets either, do they? Way to treat the fans right...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
good luck selling tickets next season.... im done!!!!!!!!!

X-Era
01-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Easy guys.

This is the same guy who basically has to be guided around at this point.

He wants a winner, and Russ wont have to make any argument at all for Bill to be that guy.

Ever consider that he may be firing a shot across Cowhers bow to not screw with him and sit on a big offer?

Do you really want to be saying that your whole hopes ride on one guy and that your willing to allow him to take as much time as he wants?

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Talk about comments out of context. I would like to see the full transcript of the interview. Sounds to me that ESPN took the comments and fit them to what they have been saying all along.

JJamezz
01-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I hope we're reading too much into this, but past experience says we're probably not..

I hope Bills fans wise up this time and the only splashing Ralph has to contend with are his profits going down the toilet.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Easy guys.

This is the same guy who basically has to be guided around at this point.

He wants a winner, and Russ wont have to make any argument at all for Bill to be that guy.

Ever consider that he may be firing a shot across Cowhers bow to not screw with him and sit on a big offer?

Do you really want to be saying that your whole hopes ride on one guy and that your willing to allow him to take as much time as he wants?

I kind of thought along those lines, and am praying that is what it was about. Maybe a nice challenge to Bill from Ralph is just what Cowher needs?

Mr. Pink
01-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Title should read...

After eating tapioca pudding Bills owner unsure if he crapped his pants.

If Cowher was indeed interviewed then Ralphie knows how much if any interest Cowher has in the job.

The only way he would be unsure was if they never spoke to Cowher.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Going back to this quote again, what's funny (as well as irritating) is that WE as the fans understand why Cowher would be hesitant to come to Buffalo and would need an over-the-top offer. Yeah, it's cold and not the most cosmopolitan place. But it's also more so because this franchise has been a joke for ten years. Therefore, it would likely take extra convincing towards Cowher and his family that Buffalo is the right fit. Why do we all get this, Cowher potentially gets this, the media certainly gets this, but Ralph Wilson doesn't get it?

Prov401
01-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree with most of your post, however why are so many people so sure that the Carolina job is opening up next year?

They ended this season really well and if Moore keeps progressing, there's a good chance they go 11-5 in that division and Fox gets extended.

It seems like his family is the main sticking point here since it would seem the money is enough (he hasn't turned anything down officially) and he definitely wants to get back into coaching ASAP.

Well it's been reported that Fox is liking the idea of being the top free agent HC in 2010 (assuming Cowher isn't around then). Fox's contract has only one year left, and he was close to getting canned this year. A general consensus is Fox doesn't want to be back in Carolina. That could change, but I'm just going by the reports coming out the past month or so. Is it 100% that Fox is out of Carolina by next year? No. But I'd say anywhere between 90-100% is about right.

Cleve
01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Easy guys.

What's the furthest out date that the Bills could wait to hire a Head Coach? In 7 short months the pre-season starts.

Slim
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
What's the furthest out date that the Bills could wait to hire a Head Coach? In 7 short months the pre-season starts.

End of February, that's when free agency starts.

Cntrygal
01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
End of February, that's when free agency starts.

:doh:

Dr. Lecter
01-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Classic Wilson. Taking a "take it or leave it" attitude with a guy that can take any job he wants.

How about "this is our first choice and i hope we can convince him to come here.

What an arrogant pr***.

Wait a second, I thought he would never try to get a guy like Cowher.

I mean, I know somebody who said that with 100% confidence.

Face it, you were wrong and are now trying to save face.

The Bills need a decision from Cowher before moving forward. Yay or Nay. And get it done.

You were wrong.

Man up for a change.

You, of all people, should never throw out the word arrogant.

bob86
01-08-2010, 09:27 PM
After the reading the AP story, the Cowher thing is done and buried. I know Cowher would have been a great coach for the Bills and he would have loved to be treated as a rock star in Western New York, but it will not happen. I have a better chance of being named coach. <o:p></o:p>

You simply don’t unmistakably imply, as Wilson did, that someone does not want to be part of the Buffalo community and then turn around name him coach of the Bills. In not so subtle terms, Wilson claims that Cowher thinks Buffalo is a dump and you could not pay him enough to live there. Wow. If I was Cowher and I read this I would be furious. Clearly, Wilson is trying to cover his ass by turning Cowher into some kind of Buffalo insulting villain. <o:p></o:p>

Wilson may be as some claim, a cheap senile lying bastard, but he certainly is no fool. Wilson did not have to give the interview nor bring up those comments about a coach wanting to be part of the community. Wilson knew what he was doing and saying, it certainly was no accident. You can bet the storyline at the new coach’s press conference will be that “the Bills tried to get a high profile coach but none of them wanted to come to Buffalo no matter how much we offered to pay them, but this cheap coach no one else wanted is proud to move to Buffalo and be part of this great community and the season ticket holders should rejoice that we found such a good man.” You know what, that BS probably will work on a majority of the fans who may be upset, but will be willing to give the cheap coach a chance, just has they have for all the other cheap no name coaches that have passed through town.

So despite all the promises of a big shake-up and willingness to pay top money for a proven coach, Wilson will likely get away with hiring a old crony GM and a bargain basement coach.

Maybe I am wrong and Wilson and Cowher can paper over this and Wilson can finally do the right thing by doing whatever it takes to hire a proven NFL coach. But if I am not wrong, at least its good to know that somethings can stay unchanged for 50 years.
<o:p></o:p>

BAM
01-08-2010, 09:39 PM
So Bob are you saying you don't think Cowher will be our next head coach?

Dr. Lecter
01-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Ralph is his own worst PR machine.

Hey Buffalo can't support higher ticket prices but we sell out every game. This guy is clueless. He probably thought he had bought a baseball team with his $25,000.

Once again, it is not about tickets. The tickets the fans buy are a drop in the bucket. It is luxury suites and private boxes. Since there are fewer corporations in Buffalo, that is a tougher sell and that is unshared money and revenue. A team's profitability and, more importantly cash flow, is tied to those sales.

Tell me you are informed enough to know that.

Demon
01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
the man. the legend. Joe Logan. Has posted a new article about Cowher. Says he can be had, but it's up to Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon to finish the deal off.

http://www.eastaurora.org/article.aspx?artno=1233

Throne Logic
01-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Come on, Pat. From what I've been reading from your posts, you know better than to read anything into that.

Ralph is just spilling spent air. My feel for his response was that he was attempting to say nothing important while not rudely throwing up the hand with, "No comment".

Let this play out for a while. Cowher's a busy man right now. If he's truly the man we want, then we should all expect him to honor his current commitment before publicly acknowledging alternate employment options. We would expect no less if he were already working at One Bills Drive.

Nighthawk
01-08-2010, 11:37 PM
The simple fact is that Ralph's pension for being cheap is probably going to cost this team a chance at landing a top notch HC. No matter how somebody tries to spin it, Ralph's cheapness is going to kill this team.

kernowboy
01-09-2010, 03:31 AM

Of course he is being coy. If Cowher doesn't want to come here, and it may be because of reasons the Bills cannot do anything about, why annoy every other prospect who will automatically and publically be considered the second choice.

I'm glad you're not running this football team - putting all your eggs completely in one basket only is little short of total madness

Buddo
01-09-2010, 04:58 AM
I've not read all of this thread (yet), just the last page.
What strikes me, is that people are so willing to read all sorts of stuff into whatever various other people are saying.
Here is a concept that perhaps is worth chewing on. The idea of 'commitment' isn't something that has to be in place prior to a negotiation. If the negotiation is successful, the commitment then needs to manifest itself. A guy like Cowher, should he actually decide to go somewhere to be their HC, will be highly committed to the job. It's what they do, and how they do it.
It's also the case, that a guy like Cowher, will decide whether or not he actually wants to be commited to a position, in the first place.
Wilson's comments, to me, are nothing more than a reflection of that state of affairs.

Night Train
01-09-2010, 05:29 AM
The article is from the Associated Press ( John Wawrow, who cover the Bills and lives locally ) and was picked up by ESPN.

It basically said nothing... but these theories are highly entertaining. :rofl:

mayotm
01-09-2010, 06:34 AM
I've heard a lot of people claim Cowher isn't coming to Buffalo. A lot of people, but not Cowher. Cowher could easily kill all the rumors, but he hasn't. Tells me that he's still considering things. Until Cowher states that he isn't interested, I'll keep hoping.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-09-2010, 07:26 AM
at about 11:00 pm tonight after the dallas game cowher will decide

zone
01-09-2010, 07:27 AM
I've heard a lot of people claim Cowher isn't coming to Buffalo. A lot of people, but not Cowher. Cowher could easily kill all the rumors, but he hasn't. Tells me that he's still considering things. Until Cowher states that he isn't interested, I'll keep hoping.
This is exactly it. If Cowher was not coming to Buffalo for sure, he would say so.

Jan Reimers
01-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Ralph is obviously not in close enough contact with Mighty Joe Logan. Come on, Mighty Joe, give Ralph a call and set him straight.

DraftBoy
01-09-2010, 08:46 AM

Not to be a stickler here but having worked in PR, he did not basically say no comment, in fact what he said was not even close. He deflected yes, but he deflected in a way that leads many to believe the worst (right or wrong). Had he said a simple no comment, many here would assume the best, like that a deal was close.

While Ralph may be old and senile, he is not dumb. He has been at this game a lot longer than many people and he knows what to say to convey his point. Im not sure what his whole point is, but lets be clear here, he did not simply say "no comment".

Since we are working off gut feelings here, my gut says Cowher is not coming here, but I dont think its because the Bills failed to offer him enough money or the best situation they could. I just dont think he sees this as an ideal place to coach his last stint.

DraftBoy
01-09-2010, 08:47 AM
the man. the legend. Joe Logan. Has posted a new article about Cowher. Says he can be had, but it's up to Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon to finish the deal off.

http://www.eastaurora.org/article.aspx?artno=1233

Which is contrary to everyone else who has said the ball is in Cowher's court. Im sorry but this guy gets far less credible as he writes more, tweets, and gives interviews.