PDA

View Full Version : Joe Logan Article

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
http://eastaurora.org/article.aspx?artno=1233

BILLIEVE!!

By JOE LOGAN (1/8/2010 10:23:12 PM)

I'm sitting here watching the Buffalo Sabres put a beating on the Toronto Maple Leafs at HSBC Arena but can't stop thinking about how different people feel about our two professional sports franchises. The Sabres are flying high and the Bills are in a decade long playoff drought with no end in sight.

Draft after draft, coach after coach, and GM after GM have tried and failed to effect positive change at one Bills Drive. Yet it doesn't take much to turn things around. Look at the Sabres. They missed the playoffs the past two years and they look like they will be going into the Olympic break as one of the hottest teams in the league. There are also several examples in the NFL where teams turned things around in a year. I don't care what Ralph said at Buddy Nix's press conference. The Bengals went from 4-11 to 10-6. The Packers went from 6-10 to 11-5.

There is no magic death bullet that says the Bills can't do the same.

I remember the day when Jim Kelly arrived in a Limo to sign his contract at 1 Bills Drive. I remember the day because it was one day before my 20th birthday. For those of you old enough to remember that, weren't you in total shock? For the time since the old AFL championship days Ralph was the guy who wouldn't pull out his checkbook for anything more than average to below average players. But he did it, and that single move may have very well saved the franchise.

Fast forward to 2010. Different time, same scenario. Kelly didn't really have any other options except sit out a season after the USFL went under. But Kelly at his core is a blue collar guy just like Cowher. They are not prima-donna's. They both grew up near Pittsburgh and were around people who worked hard for every dollar. They expect the same from themselves and for those around them.

Cowher, like Kelly, doesn't really have any other options right now except to go back to the studio where I believe he doesn't belong. Hiring Cowher would to me would be a defining moment just like the day Kelly signed. And it is just as possible.

Having said all of that, it really is surprising how the local media, specifically the radio and TV dudes, can never talk about Cowher without saying it's a long shot because none of the big names would ever want to come here.

The most disapointing for me is Mike Schopp. I remember when he got so upset at a caller for being so negative and expecting nothing but bad things to happen to the Bills. He wondered how anyone can be like that and still enjoy being a fan. I remember feeling guilty because I always had those same negative thoughts. Yet here he is basically dismissing any report that comes out that gives a sign of life to the Cowher to Buffalo story. To me that is not only poor reporting, but also helps to serve a self fulfilling prophecy that nothing good will ever come from One Bills Drive and we can only expect a second or third option as Buffalo's 18th head coach.

The negativity and lowered expectations from many Bills fans and most of the media can be seen in this hilarious YouTube video someone sent me today.

Now is the time for Bills Fans to scream and shout. Some local folks have coughed up some cash to get a Billboard up proclaiming their desire for Ralph to do what it takes to get the "Chin". We need more of that. The radio and TV duds who act like Buffalo really can't expect to get the best guy out there need to get on the bandwagon, start realizing that this isn't a pipe dream and start pushing R&R (Ralph and Russ) to do what's right. We need to apply some pressure now. Cowher can be got.

I'm sure that Leslie Frazier deserves a chance as a head coach. Perry Fewell I believe is a worthy candidate. Jim Harbaugh has done some good things. Brian Billick certainly has the experience. But right now, Bill Cowher needs to be the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Cowher would be good for everyone including Cowher. There is no fan like a Bills fan. There is no city so deserving of a championship. And there is no other coach in the world that I would rather want to bring us that championship than Bill Cowher. It would almost make it worth the wait.

R&R are in a position right now to make this happen, but Ralph needs to commit to pay for players, and Brandon needs to pull out every marketing skill he has, but he needs to do it now. Kelly should be in Cowher's ear every day. The stars are aligned. Cowher wants to coach next year and his options are limited.

I basically have given two pieces of information this week which I continue to stand behind. The first was that the Bills were going to talk with Cowher on Tuesday, and the second that Cowher is OK with the salary the Bills can offer but wants a commitment to ensure he has the tools to win. I have no idea if he will be the next coach for the Buffalo Bills, but maybe we can all do something about that.

PS, please stop asking who our source is ; )

Demon
01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Looks like the ball is in Brandon's and Wilson's court.... and i bet now is the time the talking ends and they need to sign off on the $$$$ and talks a about to stall.

PromoTheRobot
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Looks like the ball is in Brandon's and Wilson's court.... and i bet now is the time the talking ends and they need to sign off on the $$$$ and talks a about to stall.
Wilson was quoted in the AP that an offer was made and it's up to Cowher to respond to it.

PTR

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Good 'ol Joe Logan...

BAM
01-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Great article! Joe Logan for president!

Demon
01-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Wilson was quoted in the AP that an offer was made and it's up to Cowher to respond to it.

PTR

Offer yes. But, commitment on how much he can spend on players and his own coaching staff i'm sure is the hold up.

Novacane
01-08-2010, 09:52 PM
If Ralph and Russ eff this up........................

Beebe's Kid
01-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Cowher is the one and only guy that was available, which I have said from the beginning of Cowher-Gate, or rather the end of Richard J's Reign on Terror, that deserves this much authority.

The money that stands to be made by getting Cowher, and what we hope would translate into success, would easily be enough to pay for itself, would it not?

The funny thing here, assuming that this money for players and personnel is TRULY the sticking point, is that is a winner telling you how to win. Strong drafts will get you started, but you need the staffing to turn them into true superstars. You also need to be able to sustain injury and FA losses through depth...

I think Cowher is telling RW and RB how to win, and how to be winners for a long, long time.

I hope they listen.

BillsWin
01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like he is getting better at spelling?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-08-2010, 09:54 PM
well, nothing new here, just an op-ed piece

Demon
01-08-2010, 09:55 PM

lol

You're not the only one to notice. He must have gotten a proof reader for this article.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Logan's article was definitely written much better. He didn't share anything new than what we already know, but I appreciate his spirit!

BillsWin
01-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Logan's article was definitely written much better. He didn't share anything new than what we already know, but I appreciate his spirit!

It really is out of the Bills' hands right now.

Demon
01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
It really is out of the Bills' hands right now.

I really don't think so. Even reading from his article, i really think Wilson and Brandon are stalling on the details of the deal. Cowher's personal contract and how much power he would have i am sure is already set in stone and agreed upon, but, player and coaching commitments i think is the deal breaker. Brandon NEEDS to tell Ralph to finish the deal.

TrEd FTW
01-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Honestly, cut the crap and make the guy an offer he can't possibly refuse. Either you want to win or you're pretending. Quit pretending and man up.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm starting not to but this guy. He tweeted a few hours ago about Mora one and done. According to Pats article and pat himself, the guy is not into sports. Something seems fishy.

hydro
01-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Honestly, cut the crap and make the guy an offer he can't possibly refuse. Either you want to win or you're pretending. Quit pretending and man up.

Why does everyone assume that it is the Bills that are screwing this up? Ever think that Cowher is just weighing his options? I know Bills fans can't comprehend why he wouldn't want to coach for such a passionate group of fans, but I am sure that is hardly a part of his decision if at all. There are way more reports that are more current than Joe Logan's news saying it is in Cowher's hands right now than anything else.

THE BALL IS IN HIS COURT!

clumping platelets
01-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Excellent article :clap:

WagonCircler
01-08-2010, 10:50 PM

No, he's just using spell check now.

He used the word effect rather than affect, but spell check missed it because effect is an actual word.

He begins a paragraph with "Fast forward to 2010" and then proceeds to describe events from the mid-eighties, never mentioning anything that has happened or is happening in 2010.

He's a horrible writer.

And there's not the tiniest nugget of new information in this article. Just a hack suddenly feeling self-important trying to pretend he's an actual journalist.

The only actual information to be gained from this article is that Joe's source has apparently stopped speaking to him.

Throne Logic
01-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Assuming that all this is true and that Cowher does hold the proverbial ball, I can see why things are seemingly on hold.

Cowher has a current job. I'm sure that on Thursday through Sunday night he's going to be very busy. I would expect him to put his priority on his current position, not on prospective future employment. Perhaps we'll see something next week. But, more than likely, we won't hear anything until after Cowher's commitment to CBS is fulfilled for the year. Unfortunately, for us Bills' fans, that means after the Super Bowl.

Thankfully, and quite shockingly, there are no other current openings for NFL HC's. So, the Bills might luck out a bit. My big concern is that the Cowboys will get bounced out of the first round and Jerry will ditch Wade and open up his wallet and palace gates for Cowher.

Throne Logic
01-08-2010, 10:57 PM
No, he's just using spell check now.

He used the word effect rather than affect, but spell check missed it because effect is an actual word.

He begins a paragraph with "Fast forward to 2010" and then proceeds to describe events from the mid-eighties, never mentioning anything that has happened or is happening in 2010.

He's a horrible writer.

And there's not the tiniest nugget of new information in this article. Just a hack suddenly feeling self-important trying to pretend he's an actual journalist.

The only actual information to be gained from this article is that Joe's source has apparently stopped speaking to him.

Jeez, don't you think that might be a bit harsh? This is a man who was privy to information that he has graciously chosen to share with his fellow fans. I get no vibe from anything he's put out for us that he's either seeking attention or even pretending to be a journalist. He's just sharing what he has. Be thankful or just be quiet.

Man, what the heck to you do to someone who loans you $5? Smack 'em in the head and label them attention whores and loan-shark wannabes?