X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmax
    • Aug 2003

Could the Local talking heads be worried about the new media

Let me start by saying that i worked in radio for over 15 years...So i not a guy just talking out of my head...Yes i covered the Bills for a small radio station and worked as announcer for music stations across the country. I also worked in management for some years in radio..

Recent commnets by the local talking heads has lead me to come to the following conclusion. They are worried about the new media. By new media i mean internet radio and new sports sites covering the local teams.

Sal and Pat i am talking about you guys...and this board and others...I have heard totally off base commnets from the morning and afternoon guys at WGR 55. Some of the announcers i have a great deal of respect for. I attended college with one of them and have met some of the others. I was wondering why are these guys attacking the Sal's and Pat's of the sports world ? I knew the answer right away...Influence....

Sports fans are getting savy no longer do they depend on the GR's of the world to get the sports info they need . There are sources all over the net. They can get it anytime and from all different kinds of people.

You mean i can call in and not get a called a jerk for stating my opinion ?

Yep.. Let's face Radio is as we knew it died over ten years ago.. Trust me i felt it .. I was let go for dollars even though i was setting records for ratings.. The company felt they could save bucks by Voicetracking...Two years later they had another live announcer except they were paying him 10 k less..

That's the business .. I moved on and worked for years then got tired of the crap and started doing something that made a difference for me and others. Yeah i miss talking to listeners, but i would never do it again for my main income... So Sal go ahead keep doing your thing....And Pat the best to you...

The haters will always be there... Heck in a couple of years they may be asking you guys how to get their site going. After they are laid off for ESPN radio full time...

Bmax
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: Could the Local talking heads be worried about the new media

If they're not worried about the new media, they should be.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

They may be worried more because the public just isn't educated enough and they are willing to listen to the new media just as much as a source with more journalistic integrity. Heck, even the real news sources are playing the rumor blog game now for traffic and the whole news industry is a mess. We should be worried the valuable role the media plays in our lives is being watered down...

Comment

• Buddo
        • Mar 2007

What I find interesting about it, in some ways, is that the 'local' sports talk guys, are being forced into a position, where instead of just being able to blow hot air, they themselves, are going to be put in a position where they have to get better informed, otherwise people will just not bother to listen to them.
        I also get the impression, that the likes of Clayton, and it would seem now Schefter, are becoming more 'colourists' who are simply giving opinions, rather than guys actually chasing down their contacts, to give the most accurate information they can, which is how they get their rep in the first place.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

GR55 died years ago...
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

Does AM still exist?

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Buddo
              What I find interesting about it, in some ways, is that the 'local' sports talk guys, are being forced into a position, where instead of just being able to blow hot air, they themselves, are going to be put in a position where they have to get better informed, otherwise people will just not bother to listen to them.
              I also get the impression, that the likes of Clayton, and it would seem now Schefter, are becoming more 'colourists' who are simply giving opinions, rather than guys actually chasing down their contacts, to give the most accurate information they can, which is how they get their rep in the first place.

It's the consumers that are responsible for this because they value quick more than accurate. If these guys don't play that game they are out of business because it actually takes time to make contacts and verify information. They are just giving the people what they want.

Comment

• T-Long
                Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Bmax
                Let me start by saying that i worked in radio for over 15 years...So i not a guy just talking out of my head...Yes i covered the Bills for a small radio station and worked as announcer for music stations across the country. I also worked in management for some years in radio..

Recent commnets by the local talking heads has lead me to come to the following conclusion. They are worried about the new media. By new media i mean internet radio and new sports sites covering the local teams.

Sal and Pat i am talking about you guys...and this board and others...I have heard totally off base commnets from the morning and afternoon guys at WGR 55. Some of the announcers i have a great deal of respect for. I attended college with one of them and have met some of the others. I was wondering why are these guys attacking the Sal's and Pat's of the sports world ? I knew the answer right away...Influence....

Sports fans are getting savy no longer do they depend on the GR's of the world to get the sports info they need . There are sources all over the net. They can get it anytime and from all different kinds of people.

You mean i can call in and not get a called a jerk for stating my opinion ?

Yep.. Let's face Radio is as we knew it died over ten years ago.. Trust me i felt it .. I was let go for dollars even though i was setting records for ratings.. The company felt they could save bucks by Voicetracking...Two years later they had another live announcer except they were paying him 10 k less..

That's the business .. I moved on and worked for years then got tired of the crap and started doing something that made a difference for me and others. Yeah i miss talking to listeners, but i would never do it again for my main income... So Sal go ahead keep doing your thing....And Pat the best to you...

The haters will always be there... Heck in a couple of years they may be asking you guys how to get their site going. After they are laid off for ESPN radio full time...

Bmax
                Wow Bmax, didn't know we had so much in common. I've worked in radio for since 96' and trust me, I know exactly what you are talking about. A few stations I've worked for has gone strictly to voicetracking besides the morning show. I was offered the morning show gig right before we moved here, but had to turn it down because the days of disc jockeys are going to be over.

Sports radio, on the other hand, will always be there. But like you said, it will come from different outlets. Look at Sal. He is doing a webcast that is nationally broadcasted that reach people all over the country and even other countries! The more the word gets out, he is going to be the most popular Bills show for Bills fans (along with his NFL show). Pat, in a short amount of time, really has his website up and running and putting out stories left and right. He has now been mentioned nationally....the future is bright for both of these guys. Glad to have you both as friends and colleagues in the media.

Now, come on Ralph and get Buffalo Bill in here!

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Historian
                  Does AM still exist?

I still listen to AM all the time except quite often it's over the internet instead of a radio.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

The long term challenge for the population is these people do not support the media or communications infrastructure. Sal illegally produces his show from his home breaking subscription agreements with his providers. Neither of these outlets subscribe to the news services. Also, I doubt they have legitimized themselves as businesses even though $$$ are exchanging hands. So they aren't legal tax entities nor are they going to be worked into the tax system properly as businesses.

If these outlets make a dent their effect is going to be on the infrastructure that supports communications and information sharing...it's kind of like media anarchy because of the internet.

Originally posted by T-Long
                    Wow Bmax, didn't know we had so much in common. I've worked in radio for since 96' and trust me, I know exactly what you are talking about. A few stations I've worked for has gone strictly to voicetracking besides the morning show. I was offered the morning show gig right before we moved here, but had to turn it down because the days of disc jockeys are going to be over.

Sports radio, on the other hand, will always be there. But like you said, it will come from different outlets. Look at Sal. He is doing a webcast that is nationally broadcasted that reach people all over the country and even other countries! The more the word gets out, he is going to be the most popular Bills show for Bills fans (along with his NFL show). Pat, in a short amount of time, really has his website up and running and putting out stories left and right. He has now been mentioned nationally....the future is bright for both of these guys. Glad to have you both as friends and colleagues in the media.

Now, come on Ralph and get Buffalo Bill in here!
                    Last edited by Typ0; 01-09-2010, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Commissioner
                      • Dec 2004

I turned on WGR550 for the first time in a long time a couple days ago... and found them uninformed. It felt like they didn't do their research.

I liked Sal's show... it seems more modern... how he incorporates the internet chat and callers. I think he's onto something.

It's nice to watch or listen to a show without the host blasting the caller because he doesn't agree with him. WGR550 sucks hard.
                      Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

I listen to WGR. That feeling you are getting about them being uninformed is actually their having integrity. They don't engage in all this blow hard crap and will only report things that are confirmed from verified sources. So, I guess they are behind the times because guys like PatMoran will come out and say "it's going to be Cowher" and "it's not going to be Cowher" and cover his bases with a bunch of crap but he apparently has reported something. WRG will not say anything until the guy is hired or denies and they have credible sources that indicate it.

Originally posted by Commissioner
                        I turned on WGR550 for the first time in a long time a couple days ago... and found them uninformed. It felt like they didn't do their research.

I liked Sal's show... it seems more modern... how he incorporates the internet chat and callers. I think he's onto something.

It's nice to watch or listen to a show without the host blasting the caller because he doesn't agree with him. WGR550 sucks hard.

Comment

• T-Long
                          Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                          The long term challenge for the population is these people do not support the media or communications infrastructure. Sal illegally produces his show from his home breaking subscription agreements with his providers. Neither of these outlets subscribe to the news services. Also, I doubt they have legitimized themselves as businesses even though $$$ are exchanging hands. So they aren't legal tax entities nor are they going to be worked into the tax system properly as businesses.

If these outlets make a dent their effect is going to be on the infrastructure that supports communications and information sharing...it's kind of like media anarchy because of the internet.
                          That's not true. Sal is not broadcasting illegally. It is legal through the internet and he can do whatever he wants. If he is binding by any type of advertisements, then things may be different. He is not regulated by the FCC either, so what Sal does is totally legal unless he was somehow charging people to view it. So your argument here doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by T-Long
                            That's not true. Sal is not broadcasting illegally. It is legal through the internet and he can do whatever he wants. If he is binding by any type of advertisements, then things may be different. He is not regulated by the FCC either, so what Sal does is totally legal unless he was somehow charging people to view it. So your argument here doesn't make any sense.
                            Sal has a contract with his isp that restricts broadcasting through the service. You cannot use residential internet for upstream services. I'm assuming his service is residential since it goes down during his broadcasts which rarely happens with commercial services. Commercial services are much more reliable and take priority to get fixed when their is a problem. What he's doing he should be paying for a commercial connection to the internet. Everyone that steals these services increases the prices for the people who don't. Call it whatever you want. Call me miserable for pointing it out. The fact is Sal has gained an illegal competitive advantage over other media outlets that stream via proper subscription agreements and services.
                            Last edited by Typ0; 01-09-2010, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Commissioner
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Typ0
                              I listen to WGR. That feeling you are getting about them being uninformed is actually their having integrity. They don't engage in all this blow hard crap and will only report things that are confirmed from verified sources. So, I guess they are behind the times because guys like PatMoran will come out and say "it's going to be Cowher" and "it's not going to be Cowher" and cover his bases with a bunch of crap but he apparently has reported something. WRG will not say anything until the guy is hired or denies and they have credible sources that indicate it.
                              I'm not talking about them playing the rumor game... i'm talking about them not knowing what's going on....

Howard and Jeremy aren't bad... but Schoop and Bulldog are absolutely clueless.
                              Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

Working...
                              X