PDA

View Full Version : Whitner

wmoz11
01-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I've been a long time poster and viewer of the BBMB, but it seems that folks around here are much more rational, so I'm posing this question:

What are your thoughts on Whitner?

I see a lot of hate for him (based on draft position, mostly) on the BBMB, but I don't understand it. Sure, we could have had Ngata, but forgetting that, I still feel that he could be a great SS if used consistently in that role.

Will Whitner be around next year, and do you, as I do, believe that he is a solid player in the run with potential to be a quality player in regards to versatility?

Slim
01-09-2010, 11:02 PM
There is A LOT of Whitner hate on every Bills board. I personally think he is a very solid safety.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2010, 11:02 PM
trade him for picks man, we dont need him we have wilson , scott and byrd, we need to rebuild so might as well get picks for him

i would trade

marshawn
whitner
stroud
schobel
edwards
kelsay
parrish

i would try and trade all these players for whatever picks we can get.... even a 7th

time to rebuild

wmoz11
01-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I understand Wilson had a nice year this year, but I'm not sold on him. I don't know why, but I'm just not confident in him being a full time safety.

M
01-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Wait til OP gets a hold of this thread.

Coach Sal
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I've been a long time poster and viewer of the BBMB, but it seems that folks around here are much more rational, so I'm posing this question:

I see a lot of hate for him (based on draft position, mostly) on the BBMB, but I don't understand it. Sure, we could have had Ngata, but forgetting that, I still feel that he could be a great SS if used consistently in that role.

Will Whitner be around next year, and do you, as I do, believe that he is a solid player in the run with potential to be a quality player in regards to versatility?

The bolded part is the biggest problem.

We've been living off "could be" with Donte since the day he arrived in Buffalo.

What's my opinion of him?

Solid football player.
Good emotional leader.
Not worth nearly the draft pick spent on him.
Hurt too often.
Does not tackle well near the line of scrimmage.

But my biggest issue with him is that after 4 years, and having been a top-10 pick (which is not normal for a safety), he isn't the "game-changer" I would like.

I don't think he sucks. But I'd like to see him make a few plays that alter the course of the game. Other than the INT TD vs. Tampa last year, I'm not sure he's ever done that.

He's just there.

I mean, can you really say he's even better than Bryan Scott at this point?

wmoz11
01-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Hmm... he only missed 5 games in 3 years prior to this year, but yeah, you'd like a top 10 pick to be healthy a little more than that when you factor in this season (missed 5 games).

Sal, where I disagree with your assessment is that he hasn't been in the SS role CONSISTENTLY. Previously, he's bounced from FS to SS and then later had to fill in a cornerback due to various injuries, both this year and last year, where he actually played on the outside as a pure corner.

If our secondary can remain healthy (big IF) and he can remain healthy, then I think he's a very good SS in this league.

I know everyone loves Byrd, but he was a very, very average player in the run game this year.

Our secondary is one of very few bright spots on this team and I'm happy with the depth (George Wilson had a great year, stats-wise) but I think there will be more in store for Whitner if we can get some consistency from a health perspective and a scheme that can utilize his skills properly.

Pinkerton Security
01-09-2010, 11:24 PM
The bolded part is the biggest problem.

We've been living off "could be" with Donte since the day he arrived in Buffalo.

What's my opinion of him?

Solid football player.
Good emotional leader.
Not worth nearly the draft pick spent on him.
Hurt too often.
Does not tackle well near the line of scrimmage.

But my biggest issue with him is that after 4 years, and having been a top-10 pick (which is not normal for a safety), he isn't the "game-changer" I would like.

I don't think he sucks. But I'd like to see him make a few plays that alter the course of the game. Other than the INT TD vs. Tampa last year, I'm not sure he's ever done that.

He's just there.

I mean, can you really say he's even better than Bryan Scott at this point?

He is a solid player, you're right. I do think he is better than Scott because he can play the pass better than Scott, but then i guess scott is better vs. the run. My thing is, and it seems to be skirted around, we use this guy as our jack-of-all-trades...we move him around constantly, much more than anyone else, and i think that has hampered his playmaking abilities. He did have a better year this year, especially once Byrd cemented his spot as our ballhawk.

I am not making a case that Whitner is a stellar safety. Is he worth a top ten pick? No, I dont think anyone would say that. But does that mean we should get rid of his ass? No. You cant have a team full of stars, it just doesnt work that way (especially in Buffalo). To me Whitner is on par with Kyle Williams...a guy who for the most part does his job, does it pretty well and doesnt make many mistakes. You need guys like that on your team.

Pinkerton Security
01-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Hmm... he only missed 5 games in 3 years prior to this year, but yeah, you'd like a top 10 pick to be healthy a little more than that when you factor in this season (missed 5 games).

Sal, where I disagree with your assessment is that he hasn't been in the SS role CONSISTENTLY. Previously, he's bounced from FS to SS and then later had to fill in a cornerback due to various injuries, both this year and last year, where he actually played on the outside as a pure corner.

If our secondary can remain healthy (big IF) and he can remain healthy, then I think he's a very good SS in this league.

I know everyone loves Byrd, but he was a very, very average player in the run game this year.

Our secondary is one of very few bright spots on this team and I'm happy with the depth (George Wilson had a great year, stats-wise) but I think there will be more in store for Whitner if we can get some consistency from a health perspective and a scheme that can utilize his skills properly.

nice post.

wmoz11
01-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Great post, IMO, pinkdogg.

EDIT: Just saw you said the same about mine. I think we're of like minds here.

ArcticWildMan
01-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Why get rid of him? We can hardly afford to waste a draft pick on his replacement. Granted, he hasn't lived up to his draft position but he is far from a waste as a player. Unless we want to spend a 2nd round pick on a replacement for him (that is what his play has been equivalent to), we need to keep him. He may not be a pro bowler but he is hardly a liability compared to some of the other positions on our defense.

wmoz11
01-09-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm glad to see, so far, that there is some appreciation for him. I feel like I've been talking to a brick wall over at the BBMB in regards to Whitner and his worth.

If Cowher comes here, I can see him putting Whitner in a Polamalu situation (don't get crazy, I'm not saying they're in the same class).

He's great against the run and could be a good run-blitzer (and an occasional pass blitzer) given that we actually acquire a decent LB to play on the weak side.

Aliceinchainsbills15
01-10-2010, 12:25 AM
trade him for picks man, we dont need him we have wilson , scott and byrd, we need to rebuild so might as well get picks for him

i would trade

marshawn
whitner
stroud
schobel
edwards
kelsay
parrish

i would try and trade all these players for whatever picks we can get.... even a 7th

time to rebuild
I would agree with you on all of those players exept Schobel and Stroud

DrGraves
01-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Donte Whitner acts like a 6 year old girl. He hasn't grown up yet and I don't think he ever will. Look at Jarius Byrd.... he puts himself in position to makes plays and his 9 picks is evidence of that... Whitner seems to be always out of position... I hope we cut him.

wmoz11
01-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Donte Whitner acts like a 6 year old girl. He hasn't grown up yet and I don't think he ever will. Look at Jarius Byrd.... he puts himself in position to makes plays and his 9 picks is evidence of that... Whitner seems to be always out of position... I hope we cut him.

Jairus Byrd hasn't made a tackle within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage yet. I love him as a center fielder, but he's no where near an all-around safety yet.

Whitner is not out of position. He simply gets exposed from time to time by the matchup he's relegated to playing because of our injuries at the corner position.

Luisito23
01-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Whitner sucks!

Prov401
01-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Solid saftey.
Definitely not worth #8 pick (not his fault)
In the wrong system IMO

Onto what Coach Sal said about him being injured too much. That's just untrue. He's been consistantly healthy throughout his career other than this past year. He's certainly been on the field a ton more than the more 'elite' safties.

kernowboy
01-10-2010, 04:55 AM
If the CBA occurs, he becomes a FA next year, so if we don't investigate a trade, we either will have to pony up big bucks or see him walk.

I'd look to trade him for maybe a 3rd this year, and a 3rd next, use Wilson/Scott at SS, and then see if we can draft Davonte Shannon in 2011

Night Train
01-10-2010, 06:10 AM
I think he'll be our starting SS next year , with Byrd at FS.

With crying needs at OT,DL,LB,QB, I not looking for imagined problems over real ones.

Jan Reimers
01-10-2010, 08:03 AM

I agree that Whitner is a solid player that may get better, particularly with some better talent on the D-line and at LB.

And I really appreciate your calling us rational, despite the insanity (including Joe Logan mania) surrounding our head coaching situation.

Historian
01-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Trade him to the Eagles for McNabb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:snicker:

OpIv37
01-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Whitner is average at best. He takes bad angles on runs, never makes plays on the ball, and rarely comes up with big hits. I could live with him if it wasn't for
a) his draft position and
b) his loud mouth.

The problem is that teams who don't get production from high draft picks typically aren't very good. We can't go back in time to the draft and select Ngata, so the only option left is for Whitner to play like the #8 overall pick.

That being said, he's still the 2nd best safety on our team behind Byrd, and he's far better than Wilson or Scott, so I don't see him going anywhere. One mistake the previous FO made frequently was cutting guys who were underperforming, then replacing them with rookies or their back-ups. Despite my dislike for Whiter, I'd feel much more comfortable having him and Byrd as starters with Scott and Wilson as depth then then the alternative: Byrd and Scott as starters with Wilson and Wendling as depth. And I'm pretty sure that's what will happen. This team desperately needs QB, OL, DL, LB and possibly RB (depending on what happens with the latest Lynch allegations), so I don't see this FO adding another hole if they can avoid it.