PDA

View Full Version : Can't Believe I'm Going to be That Guy, But...

Midwesternbillsfan
01-09-2010, 11:20 PM
... if the Eagles' two losses in six days to the Cowboys by a combined score of 58-14 means that the oft-discussed eventual dismissal of Donovan McNabb finally comes to pass this offseason (in favor of the 36th overall pick of the '07 Draft, Kevin Kolb, who's going into his fourth year and who had back-to-back 300-yard performances in his lone two career starts earlier this year, BTW), I don't currently see many logical destinations for him. But the Bills may be one.

- No team in the NFC East. Redskins may have the need but their divisional rival status eliminates them.

- No team in the NFC North, save for possibly the Vikings in Minnesota in Favre retires (McNabb's OC in Philly for many years was Childress). But w/how well #4's playing- and how Brett always eventually chooses to come back, anyway- I don't look at them as a strong option, either.

- Possibly the Panthers in the NFC South. But they don't own their 1st-round pick (McNabb really worth a mid-round 1st-round pick, anyway?), and Matt Moore was actually quite impressive down the stretch (Carolina as a team, for that matter). Their need for McNabb may not be terribly urgent.

- Can't see him anywhere in the NFC West except arguably the Seahawks w/how poorly Hasselbeck played Seattle's final three weeks. Rams will almost unquestionably find their QB through the Draft (they're too far removed from contention, anyway, that a trade for McNabb makes no sense) and Alex Smith probably did enough to start for San Fran in '10.

- Kyle Orton will probably be retained as a RFA (if no new CBA) in Denver, and I just can't envision McNabb in silver and black, not especially w/Tom Cable's job in jeopardy because of his comments that his Raiders probably would've made the playoffs were if not for JaMarcus Russell playing QB. Davis refuses to give up on a virtual hopeless cause, apparently.

- There is no logical fit in the AFC South. David Garrard has the weakest hold on his starting job, but he seems generally statistically sufficient. And not Jax's greatest liability, anyway (their pass defense was absymal all season; even Fitzpatrick about went for 300 in the Bills' loss).

- Can't find a home anywhere in the AFC North. Possibly Cleveland, and they did just hire (as in today) Tom Heckert of the Eagles to be their new general manager. Adding McNabb, though, would likely belie the Browns' rebuilding effort (as bad as the Bills are- and defying the fact Cleveland's beaten the Bills three consecutive years- they're even further from contention than Buffalo. Neither are close, for what it's worth).

- So you knew I was getting around to it: in the AFC East, there's Buffalo; that's it. With the Bills seemingly likely to hire a coordinator (Schottenheimer Jr. and Frazier currently seem to represent the best bets), trading for McNabb would recoup certain lost ticket sales (may make football sense, too, but the financial vantage point won't be lost on Russ Brandon). Or if hell freezes over and the Bills manage to snag Cowher, it may actually be even MORE incumbent of the Bills to try to procure a proven and successful QB to lead this team for at least a few years. Either way, I wouldn't discount the possibility of Donovan in Buffalo in 2010; I really wouldn't. Not likely- just possible. And it wouldn't involve parting w/#9.

elltrain22
01-09-2010, 11:22 PM
I think thats why Cowher, apparently, wants Brandon's/Wilson's blessing to spend X-amount of dollars b/c he knows this franchise would flourish w/ a premeire QB.

Ingtar33
01-09-2010, 11:24 PM
trade a 9th overall for a QB on his last 2 or 3 years?

want to hand the eagles your daughter's virginity too?

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I think thats why Cowher, apparently, wants Brandon's/Wilson's blessing to spend X-amount of dollars b/c he knows this franchise would flourish w/ a premeire QB.

Or they don't get Cowher and pull another TO and get McNabb

Pinkerton Security
01-09-2010, 11:26 PM
id be so damn happy if we got McNabb...no way we give up our first rounder for him tho.

wmoz11
01-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't give #9 for him, but I'd be more than happy to give up 2 2nd's.

Ingtar33
01-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't give #9 for him, but I'd be more than happy to give up 2 2nd's.

you mean Levitre and Byrd?

Because that's what our 2 2nds were worth last year. Again we're talking about a guy who will be here for 2... maybe 3 years max. We won't win a superbowl in that time. he won't win us a superbowl before he retires or leaves in FA. so why would you do this?

A 3rd... yeah... i could trade a 3rd and a 4th (not in the same year) for him.

Midwesternbillsfan
01-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Did anybody read my last sentence? Sheesh!

Ebenezer
01-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Because that's what our 2 2nds were worth last year. Again we're talking about a guy who will be here for 2... maybe 3 years max. We won't win a superbowl in that time. he won't win us a superbowl before he retires or leaves in FA. so why would you do this?

we have a winner!

ArcticWildMan
01-09-2010, 11:34 PM

Because people think a "NAME" player equates to a winning team. They don't realize we need a long term solution, not a quick fix that might at best get us into a wildcard game for a year or two.

Zero
01-09-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't know what it would take for the eagles to part with McNaab but as long as it doesen't involve a #1 or our current #2 , I would take him in a heartbeat. He's probably got 3-4 years left and could help groom our next QB should we decide to draft one.

It could be wise to trade our #1 for more draft picks which would allow us more flexibility when attempting to pull off such a deal.

PECKERWOOD
01-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I'd trade the 2nd for McNabb, especially if he we signed a new deal with him. He has 3-4 good years left in him, maybe more.

wmoz11
01-09-2010, 11:39 PM

No, I don't mean Levitre and Byrd. I mean a 2nd in '10 and a 2nd in '11. And yes, I know you're implying that those are the players that we got in the 2nd and they have a lot of promise.

Don't you want a QB that can actually, you know, play QB? I'm tired of having the pieces and missing a QB.

Maybe I exaggerated with 2 2nds, but I believe a 2nd this year and a 3rd-4th the next year is a fair trade for a QB that has 2-3 GREAT years in him. That's subjective, of course. A lot of this depends on what you (or the organization) thinks he has left.

ArcticWildMan
01-09-2010, 11:48 PM
No thanks. This team is realistically 2-3 years away from being a serious contender. We can't afford to give away draft picks for a QB who will be on his downside when we are finally starting to get it together. Don't get carried away with the name factor. Unless it's a QB who will be around for 5-6 years, we don't need him.

wmoz11
01-09-2010, 11:53 PM
No thanks. This team is realistically 2-3 years away from being a serious contender. We can't afford to give away draft picks for a QB who will be on his downside when we are finally starting to get it together. Don't get carried away with the name factor. Unless it's a QB who will be around for 5-6 years, we don't need him.

I could easily say that he makes us a contender next year. It's all subjective. It all depends on what you think he has left to offer.

I think that he makes us a legit player in the AFC East next year. Now, whether you think that's worth a 2nd and a 3rd the following year (or whatever value you want to think of) can be debated.

Griff
01-10-2010, 12:03 AM

why not we bent them over to get rid of JP#2

TacklingDummy
01-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Trade a 2nd, Whitner, Lynch, and Schobel for McNabb.

PECKERWOOD
01-10-2010, 12:26 AM

That's a bit much, no way.

Midwesternbillsfan
01-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree that it may not make the most sense, and I agree that we're realistically too far off from genuine playoff contention (let alone to make any noise once there) to desire us making this type of move. But I believe I was mostly McNabb-neutral in my post; I just reduced the possible landing spots for him and couldn't quite do that for Buffalo. And especially if Brandon needs to stave off significant losses at the ticket booth. Either McNabb or Vick could emerge as possibilties for the Bills given our eternally unsolved QB situation and especially if we go the coordinator route visa vi our head coaching vacancy, given the very real possibility of ticket-buyers leaving in droves. I wouldn't put this possibility past Brandon; anyone would be well-advised not to, IMHO.

TacklingDummy
01-10-2010, 12:27 AM
That's a bit much, no way.
Ok, take out the 2nd.

PECKERWOOD
01-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Ok, take out the 2nd.

:posrep:

I love you man, hahahah.

Ingtar33
01-10-2010, 02:06 AM
I'd trade the 2nd for McNabb, especially if he we signed a new deal with him. He has 3-4 good years left in him, maybe more.

2-3 remember. no football in 2011

thats why i said 2-3 years not 3-4

Oaf
01-10-2010, 02:35 AM
I'll take ANY of their 3 QBs to start over ours.

YardRat
01-10-2010, 04:31 AM
I could deal with McNabb--Brohm, Fitz or Edwards--Rookie.

kernowboy
01-10-2010, 04:40 AM
I think its entirely possible McNabb might get released so why give up anything?

Or if we trade a marginal player for him, then what we do is inherit his entire contract which in itself would be very attractive for the Eagles, financially.

Dujek
01-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Of course if we re-sign T.O. I can't see McNabb coming within 100 miles of Buffalo...

Night Train
01-10-2010, 05:57 AM

Agreed.

Now we need a billboard. That's the standard now, right ?

Don't Panic
01-10-2010, 07:12 AM
I don't know... McNabb looked pretty shelled the last two weeks. I do like the idea of some one who can actually play QB playing QB, though. How about Fitz, Lynch and a 2nd for McNabb and a 3rd. Although I'd probably only do this with Cowher running the show...

Historian
01-10-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't know... McNabb looked pretty shelled the last two weeks. I do like the idea of some one who can actually play QB playing QB, though. How about Fitz, Lynch and a 2nd for McNabb and a 3rd. Although I'd probably only do this with Cowher running the show...

Won't get much better either, if Peters starts his offseason antics this week, lol.

Lynch for McNabb straight up.

X-Era
01-10-2010, 07:29 AM

Pure speculation, but that could very well be the case.

Typ0
01-10-2010, 07:52 AM
I'd rather have Vick.

Don't Panic
01-10-2010, 08:16 AM
I'd rather have Vick.

How about Vick and Mora? We could reunite the 2004 Falcons!

Philagape
01-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Finally, a veteran QB who makes sense. One who's actually played well for most of his career and still can, and used to cold weather.

And if McNabb is done as Philly's starter, they'll just release him. The Bills should pounce.

Night Train
01-10-2010, 08:39 AM
I'd take McNabb as a transition QB for his final 2-3 years in a second.

Graduating form Syracuse, he is still wildly popular in this region.

What's his value in terms of a trade ? Who knows... but it's basic math (his age) that you don't burn high picks for him.

kelly2reed4six
01-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Maybe we could work lynch in to a trade with them? Lynch and a 3rd rounder...westbrook is washed up, so why not get a proven runner...jjust a thought

kelly2reed4six
01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I'd rather have Vick.

No way! While vick is younger and probably has more time left in the league, he is NOT a guy that I would want as the future of the franchise, nor is he a guy I could see a young qb learning much from...I mean, a young guy would learn as much watching our rb's....while donovan does have mobility, he is much more of the pure passer I would enjoy seeing a young guy learn from....imo, he would be an investment in the real future qb of this franchise, and we might even be able to squeek out a couple winning seasons while we wait for that!

ddaryl
01-10-2010, 08:51 AM
I'd rather have Vick.

I'd give up my left nut if it it meant I never have to hear Vicks name mentioned as a Bill again

No and HELL NO... the guy is a Marshawn Lynch thug, and a zebra doesn't change his stripes, and no he doesn't deserfve a 2nd chance in pro football and from fans... he's a convicted felon.

Heck we're running Marshawn out of town and he still hasn't done anything as bad as Vick has YET (the hit and run was close though).... and those who want Vick here are the ones who want Lynch gone just the same

ddaryl
01-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Maybe we could work lynch in to a trade with them? Lynch and a 3rd rounder...westbrook is washed up, so why not get a proven runner...jjust a thought

I'm definitely intruiged. McNabb would be the ultimate stop gap QB IMHO, and fun to watch...

Ingtar33
01-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I'd give up my left nut if it it meant I never have to hear Vicks name mentioned as a Bill again

No and HELL NO... the guy is a Marshawn Lynch thug, and a zebra doesn't change his stripes, and no he doesn't deserfve a 2nd chance in pro football and from fans... he's a convicted felon.

Heck we're running Marshawn out of town and he still hasn't done anything as bad as Vick has YET (the hit and run was close though).... and those who want Vick here are the ones who want Lynch gone just the same

i'm with you on this

Mr Hotstepper
01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Hello? He said to not trade the 9th pick.

"And it wouldn't involve parting w/#9."

Did you think he meant Rian Lindell?

"We'll give you Lindell for McNabb. He's deadly accurate inside 30."

LOL. Read the damn post if your gonna respond.

Typ0
01-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Heck we're running Marshawn out of town and he still hasn't done anything as bad as Vick has YET (the hit and run was close though).... and those who want Vick here are the ones who want Lynch gone just
the same

I disagree about done nothing as bad. Vick was part of a culture that educated him what he was doing was OK. He's been caught and is doing things that indicate he's learned his lesson and wants to move on and have a life. Lynch, on the other hand, continually shows evidence of his punk attitude and his failure to grow up. Lynch is showing a pattern of behavior AFTER the police and courts intervened that demonstrates he's a criminal. Has Vick done that? No.

ddaryl
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
I disagree about done nothing as bad. Vick was part of a culture that educated him what he was doing was OK. He's been caught and is doing things that indicate he's learned his lesson and wants to move on and have a life. Lynch, on the other hand, continually shows evidence of his punk attitude and his failure to grow up. Lynch is showing a pattern of behavior AFTER the police and courts intervened that demonstrates he's a criminal. Has Vick done that? No.

OK but if Vick comes to Buffalo I will be livid.. I don;t think Vick is doing anything but putting on a good boy act....

and Lynch hasn't killed anyone or anything yet..... Vick on the other hand is responsible for 100's of dogs deaths. Not 1 or 2... 100's all so he can make more money and watch "God's gift to man" fight to the death for sport and a thrill. Something a dog lover liek myslef just will not forgive him for at this point. He has a long way to go for that.

can't and won't give him a 2nd chance as a pro football player 1 or 2 years into this comeback. If he wants to dedicate his life to working in an Animal shelter I will gain respect back for him eventually, but what is he really doing outside of court ordered rehabilitation

Typ0
01-10-2010, 11:20 AM
There are a lot of times I wish it were possible to get inside information but it isn't. I am certain where Vick grew up and the culture he was breed in this dog fighting thing is common and accepted. He just didn't understand how his behavior was learned and headed him in a direction of psychopathy. But that does't mean those types of people are completely lost to society. I try and look at a lot of these things as a product of our society not causing it. The question is will he grow up and start to take responsibility for himself and his actions and stop letting the external forces shape and mold him. It's a little easier for him as he's got more resources than most.

Now, I have seen where he's advocating for animal rights now. He's taking quite a bit of heat by organizations like PETA but he is trying to do these things. The irony of the situation is he's one of the people best positioned to educate a poorly educated populace on this topic. So if he goes on to do these things it's a good outcome from a bad situation. I see it all the time...people that come from bad environments often turn out bad but it's because of the environment not because of the people. I work with young and teenage kids and I can't even begin to explain the internal conflict they have because of their home environments aren't teaching them properly...when they are exposed to the proper things in school it creates a head on collision in their value systems. They want to do the right things. They want to be successful. Desire doesn't mean they will though many people do not have the strength to overcome these obstacles. That does not make them losers IMO it means they were lost by bad circumstance.

I think we see a lot of this in professional athletes. Because they have gifts and they come from these bad environments as much as they come from good ones. If anything, I would expect to see more of this bad behavior but most of these people are very mentally and emotionally strong that's part of their gift and it helps them to rise up. However, not all of them are. People should be given a chance it's what the rest of us should do. Lynch has gotten way too much understanding and forgiveness though. He's not doing anything differently now either.

Mr. Pink
01-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Lynch and a 2nd for McNabb?

I'd say that's a good deal for both sides.

We need a QB, desperately. Westbrook hasn't looked the same since his concussion issues.

Win Win!