Can't Believe I'm Going to be That Guy, But...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Midwesternbillsfan
    • Apr 2007

Can't Believe I'm Going to be That Guy, But...

... if the Eagles' two losses in six days to the Cowboys by a combined score of 58-14 means that the oft-discussed eventual dismissal of Donovan McNabb finally comes to pass this offseason (in favor of the 36th overall pick of the '07 Draft, Kevin Kolb, who's going into his fourth year and who had back-to-back 300-yard performances in his lone two career starts earlier this year, BTW), I don't currently see many logical destinations for him. But the Bills may be one.

- No team in the NFC East. Redskins may have the need but their divisional rival status eliminates them.

- No team in the NFC North, save for possibly the Vikings in Minnesota in Favre retires (McNabb's OC in Philly for many years was Childress). But w/how well #4's playing- and how Brett always eventually chooses to come back, anyway- I don't look at them as a strong option, either.

- Possibly the Panthers in the NFC South. But they don't own their 1st-round pick (McNabb really worth a mid-round 1st-round pick, anyway?), and Matt Moore was actually quite impressive down the stretch (Carolina as a team, for that matter). Their need for McNabb may not be terribly urgent.

- Can't see him anywhere in the NFC West except arguably the Seahawks w/how poorly Hasselbeck played Seattle's final three weeks. Rams will almost unquestionably find their QB through the Draft (they're too far removed from contention, anyway, that a trade for McNabb makes no sense) and Alex Smith probably did enough to start for San Fran in '10.

- Kyle Orton will probably be retained as a RFA (if no new CBA) in Denver, and I just can't envision McNabb in silver and black, not especially w/Tom Cable's job in jeopardy because of his comments that his Raiders probably would've made the playoffs were if not for JaMarcus Russell playing QB. Davis refuses to give up on a virtual hopeless cause, apparently.

- There is no logical fit in the AFC South. David Garrard has the weakest hold on his starting job, but he seems generally statistically sufficient. And not Jax's greatest liability, anyway (their pass defense was absymal all season; even Fitzpatrick about went for 300 in the Bills' loss).

- Can't find a home anywhere in the AFC North. Possibly Cleveland, and they did just hire (as in today) Tom Heckert of the Eagles to be their new general manager. Adding McNabb, though, would likely belie the Browns' rebuilding effort (as bad as the Bills are- and defying the fact Cleveland's beaten the Bills three consecutive years- they're even further from contention than Buffalo. Neither are close, for what it's worth).

- So you knew I was getting around to it: in the AFC East, there's Buffalo; that's it. With the Bills seemingly likely to hire a coordinator (Schottenheimer Jr. and Frazier currently seem to represent the best bets), trading for McNabb would recoup certain lost ticket sales (may make football sense, too, but the financial vantage point won't be lost on Russ Brandon). Or if hell freezes over and the Bills manage to snag Cowher, it may actually be even MORE incumbent of the Bills to try to procure a proven and successful QB to lead this team for at least a few years. Either way, I wouldn't discount the possibility of Donovan in Buffalo in 2010; I really wouldn't. Not likely- just possible. And it wouldn't involve parting w/#9.
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

Re: Can't Believe I'm Going to be That Guy, But...

I think thats why Cowher, apparently, wants Brandon's/Wilson's blessing to spend X-amount of dollars b/c he knows this franchise would flourish w/ a premeire QB.
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

trade a 9th overall for a QB on his last 2 or 3 years?

want to hand the eagles your daughter's virginity too?
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• BoyILuvLoznStupidly
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by elltrain22
        I think thats why Cowher, apparently, wants Brandon's/Wilson's blessing to spend X-amount of dollars b/c he knows this franchise would flourish w/ a premeire QB.
        Or they don't get Cowher and pull another TO and get McNabb

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

id be so damn happy if we got McNabb...no way we give up our first rounder for him tho.

Comment

• wmoz11
            • Sep 2008

I wouldn't give #9 for him, but I'd be more than happy to give up 2 2nd's.

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by wmoz11
              I wouldn't give #9 for him, but I'd be more than happy to give up 2 2nd's.

you mean Levitre and Byrd?

Because that's what our 2 2nds were worth last year. Again we're talking about a guy who will be here for 2... maybe 3 years max. We won't win a superbowl in that time. he won't win us a superbowl before he retires or leaves in FA. so why would you do this?

A 3rd... yeah... i could trade a 3rd and a 4th (not in the same year) for him.
              Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-09-2010, 11:31 PM.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                trade a 9th overall for a QB on his last 2 or 3 years?

want to hand the eagles your daughter's virginity too?
                Did anybody read my last sentence? Sheesh!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Because that's what our 2 2nds were worth last year. Again we're talking about a guy who will be here for 2... maybe 3 years max. We won't win a superbowl in that time. he won't win us a superbowl before he retires or leaves in FA. so why would you do this?

we have a winner!

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Because people think a "NAME" player equates to a winning team. They don't realize we need a long term solution, not a quick fix that might at best get us into a wildcard game for a year or two.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2010, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• Zero
                      Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs
                      • Oct 2004

I don't know what it would take for the eagles to part with McNaab but as long as it doesen't involve a #1 or our current #2 , I would take him in a heartbeat. He's probably got 3-4 years left and could help groom our next QB should we decide to draft one.

It could be wise to trade our #1 for more draft picks which would allow us more flexibility when attempting to pull off such a deal.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

I'd trade the 2nd for McNabb, especially if he we signed a new deal with him. He has 3-4 good years left in him, maybe more.

Comment

• wmoz11
                          • Sep 2008

No, I don't mean Levitre and Byrd. I mean a 2nd in '10 and a 2nd in '11. And yes, I know you're implying that those are the players that we got in the 2nd and they have a lot of promise.

Don't you want a QB that can actually, you know, play QB? I'm tired of having the pieces and missing a QB.

Maybe I exaggerated with 2 2nds, but I believe a 2nd this year and a 3rd-4th the next year is a fair trade for a QB that has 2-3 GREAT years in him. That's subjective, of course. A lot of this depends on what you (or the organization) thinks he has left.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

No thanks. This team is realistically 2-3 years away from being a serious contender. We can't afford to give away draft picks for a QB who will be on his downside when we are finally starting to get it together. Don't get carried away with the name factor. Unless it's a QB who will be around for 5-6 years, we don't need him.

Comment

• wmoz11
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
                              No thanks. This team is realistically 2-3 years away from being a serious contender. We can't afford to give away draft picks for a QB who will be on his downside when we are finally starting to get it together. Don't get carried away with the name factor. Unless it's a QB who will be around for 5-6 years, we don't need him.
                              I could easily say that he makes us a contender next year. It's all subjective. It all depends on what you think he has left to offer.

I think that he makes us a legit player in the AFC East next year. Now, whether you think that's worth a 2nd and a 3rd the following year (or whatever value you want to think of) can be debated.

Comment

Working...
                              X