PDA

View Full Version : Felser: Bills should hire Schottenheimer

Don't Panic
01-10-2010, 07:32 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/larryfelser/story/917865.html

So Marty is available, having relaxed for three seasons. He keeps saying he'll never coach again, but frustration has fueled many fires. There is also a big "if" involved. What if his son, Brian, were to be granted his release from the Jets, where he is the highly acclaimed offensive coordinator. As quarterback coach of the Chargers, Brian guided Drew Brees in his formative days as a starting quarterback. In New York he has coached rookie Mark Sanchez from a quarterback intercepted six times by the Bills in mid-October to becoming a playoff quarterback today.

This is something that's been thrown around... I really think it is our best consolation to Cowher, should he choose not to come. I was very impressed with Schotty Jr.'s play-calling last night, and although I don't think he's ready to be a head coach now, I could see him come in as assistant HC and OC while his dad serves a 3 year, transitional HC gig. To sweeten the pot, we could offer Schotty Sr. a FO contract (team consultant... nothing he'd need to be in Buffalo FT for) for when his HC gig runs out. They each get six year deals. A bit of a gamble in length, but you know exactly what you're gonna get in the first three, and it's a pretty worthy gamble for year four, so the gamble in financial commitment doesn't come til year five. Just throwing out a hypothetical here...

X-Era
01-10-2010, 07:34 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/larryfelser/story/917865.html

This is something that's been thrown around... I really think it is our best consolation to Cowher, should he choose not to come. I was very impressed with Schotty Jr.'s play-calling last night, and although I don't think he's ready to be a head coach now, I could see him come in as assistant HC and OC while his dad serves a 3 year, transitional HC gig. To sweeten the pot, we could offer Schotty Sr. a FO contract (team consultant... nothing he'd need to be in Buffalo FT for) for when his HC gig runs out. They each get six year deals. A bit of a gamble in length, but you know exactly what you're gonna get in the first three, and it's a pretty worthy gamble for year four, so the gamble in financial commitment doesn't come til year five. Just throwing out a hypothetical here...

Felzer = :yawn:

SquishDaFish
01-10-2010, 07:35 AM
I LOVE Cowher and I think Schott would be the better decision IMO

Historian
01-10-2010, 07:48 AM

Yea, he's only been covering the Bills since 1960...what would he know?

X-Era
01-10-2010, 07:50 AM

He knows a lot.

But I also remember watching him on Empire with Wander and half the time he couldn't even get the player names right.

Ive just never been impressed. Just an opinion.

Novacane
01-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Marty is the only choice aside from Cowher that I'd have no complaints about.

ddaryl
01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
I LOVE Cowher and I think Schott would be the better decision IMO

If Sr. comes with him I'd be down with the Brian Schottenhiemer thoughts

BUT I disagre Cowher > Marty S at this point IMO. Cowher has had better playoff success :cow:

but Marty S and Cowhers over all records are pretty close when you compare them. I just think Cowher has the edge do to more playoff success is fewer years

Schotty Sr. however beat Bill by being able to say he coached multiple teams to regular season success :chicken:

Bill.............Regular..................playoffs
<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TBODY><TR><TH>..........Won</TH><TH>Lost</TH><TH>Ties</TH><TH>Win %</TH><TH></TH><TH>Won</TH><TH>Lost</TH><TH>Win %</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=2>Total<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-3>[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher#cite_note-3)</SUP></TH><TH>149..</TH><TH>90..</TH><TH>1..</TH><TH>.623</TH><TH></TH><TH>....12</TH><TH>.....9...</TH><TH>.571</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Marty.............Regular..................playoffs
<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TBODY><TR><TH>..........Won</TH><TH>Lost</TH><TH>Ties</TH><TH>Win %</TH><TH></TH><TH>Won</TH><TH>Lost</TH><TH>Win %</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=2>Total<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-3>[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Schottenheimer#cite_note-3)</SUP></TH><TH>200</TH><TH>126</TH><TH>...1..</TH><TH>.613</TH><TH>....</TH><TH>5..</TH><TH>..13...</TH><TH>.278</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Historian
01-10-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm with you there, Nova. Maybe Billick too, I don't know.

X: j/k...Felser provides a historical perspective on the team, much like myself.

X-Era
01-10-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm with you there, Nova. Maybe Billick too, I don't know.

X: j/k...Felser provides a historical perspective on the team, much like myself.

Totally agree. Hes got more knowledge of the Bills history in his little finger than I have in my whole body.

Don't Panic
01-10-2010, 08:18 AM
So would having Schotty Jr. as the heir apparent would be acceptable if things played out this way?

X-Era
01-10-2010, 08:20 AM
So would having Schotty Jr. as the heir apparent would be acceptable if things played out this way?
Acceptable is a tough word.

We would have to accept it.

But I also would feel its more of the same, and would accept that.

YardRat
01-10-2010, 08:38 AM

Probably a lot less than the guy that's owned the team over the same period of time.

Night Train
01-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm open to other idea's outside of Cowher, since I still view Cowher as a 1000-1 shot.

Marty as the HC for 2-3 years (grooming his kid who is clearly NOT ready now..or someone else) is a far better than another dart throw at some coordinator with no HC experience.

I'm well aware of his payoff failures.. but at least Marty has a firm, proven plan to get his teams there.

It would probably go against Wilsons' philosophy of "luck" :rolleyes: but I'm in the mood to spite Ralph and field a winning team.

X-Era
01-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm open to other idea's outside of Cowher, since I still view Cowher as a 1000-1 shot.

Marty as the HC for 2-3 years (grooming his kid who is clearly NOT ready now..or someone else) is a far better than another dart throw at some coordinator with no HC experience.

I'm well aware of his payoff failures.. but at least Marty has a firm, proven plan to get his teams there.

It would probably go against Wilsons' philosophy of "luck" :rolleyes: but I'm in the mood to spite Ralph and field a winning team.

Here's my updated list:

1) Cowher
2) Marty
3) Billick
4) Brian Shott
5) Leslie Frazier

I would not move off #1 until we get a no from him.

Anything after #3 will most likely be more of the same IMO.

And I don't feel we need to make a quick strike with any of these guys.

Night Train
01-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Here's my updated list:

1) Cowher
2) Marty
3) Billick
4) Brian Shott
5) Leslie Frazier

I would not move off #1 until we get a no from him.

Anything after #3 will most likely be more of the same IMO.

And I don't feel we need to make a quick strike with any of these guys.

That's not bad. I'd throw Jim Harbaugh in at #4, based on the fact he's been a HC at the college level and looks like he runs the Ted Marchibroda Offense, which I loved.

Coaches kid.. his brother coaches the Ravens. Beat USC twice recently, with a clearly inferior roster. Lots of fire and a great motivator. Lots to like, in my opinion. I'm guessing he could attract quality asst's also, much like Cowher, Marty & Billick.

X-Era
01-10-2010, 09:02 AM
That's not bad. I'd throw Jim Harbaugh in at #4, based on the fact he's been a HC at the college level and looks like he runs the Ted Marchibroda Offense, which I loved.

Coaches kid.. his brother coaches the Ravens. Beat USC twice recently, with a clearly inferior roster. Lots of fire and a great motivator. Lots to like, in my opinion. I'm guessing he could attract quality asst's also, much like Cowher, Marty & Billick.

Harbaugh and Kelly hate each other don't they? At least it seemed that way all the way back to the Bills/Colts years.

Historian
01-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Probably a lot less than the guy that's owned the team over the same period of time.

We could argue that.

Especially since the press used to fly with the team. (Like the Beatles, lol)

Historian
01-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Harbaugh and Kelly hate each other don't they? At least it seemed that way all the way back to the Bills/Colts years.

Kelly was never fond of Cowher either...especially after the 1995 Divisional Playoff.

Time heals all wounds.

X-Era
01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Kelly was never fond of Cowher either...especially after the 1995 Divisional Playoff.

Time heals all wounds.

Yeah, these guys probably get over all that stuff once there not competing any more.

Night Train
01-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Yes. Kelly called Harbaugh soft for supposedly faking injury after getting crushed in a game. Harbaugh allegedly punched Kelly, breaking his finger in the process.

Getting along with St. Kelly didn't figure into my thinking, since Kelly was far from alter boy status in his day.

For all I know, Harbaugh isn't even on the Bills radar, so it may be a moot point anyhow. JMO

X-Era
01-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Yes. Kelly called Harbaugh soft for supposedly faking injury after getting crushed in a game. Harbaugh allegedly punched Kelly, breaking his finger in the process.

Getting along with St. Kelly didn't figure into my thinking, since Kelly was far from alter boy status in his day.

For all I know, Harbaugh isn't even on the Bills radar, so it may be a moot point anyhow. JMO

I think its main stream media speculation since they dont know anything.

Commissioner
01-10-2010, 09:42 AM

I agree.. Felser lost his marbles a long time ago.