• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Bills looking at first-and-long when it comes to Cowher

The Buffalo Bills want Bill Cowher. But does Cowher want the Bills?
    The two sides have met at least once to discuss the Bills' head coaching vacancy and could engage in further talks in the near future.
    No matter how hard the Bills pursue Cowher, it's still a long shot that he would come here. Unless Cowher is impatient to return to the NFL sidelines after a three-year hiatus, the reasons why it doesn't make sense would appear to clearly outweigh the reasons it does make sense.
    Among the negatives he must consider:
    1 The QB situation. Cowher has told people he would like to land with a team where there is an established quarterback, or at least one with major upside. Tampa Bay reportedly intrigued him because the Buccaneers have a promising young talent in Josh Freeman. Cowher would be looking at a long stretch of trying to find a signal caller with star quality in Buffalo.
    2 The Bills' spending history. They have a poor history of holding on to their most talented players. Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Pat Williams, Jason Peters and Jabari Greer are players they did not retain. The Bills also dragged their feet on filling holes at offensive line and linebacker, choosing instead to go with inexperienced and cheap depth.
    read more...

• ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Bills looking at first-and-long when it comes to Cowher

Oh yeah great

Like that's exactly what I need in my life, a dose of reality.

Life is real enough just tell me what I want to hear....

It all comes down to personal guarentees from Ralph and how the team is going to handle bringing in players and keeping players

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by shelby

One of the best written pieces by the Buff News in a long time.

Its not just as simple as some make it out to be. Ralph's comment could have been made due to impatience. But its fully understandable that it may take some time with Cowher.

Since:

1) Were supposedly only looking at coords in the playoffs
      2) The only other big names are guys like Billick and Shottenheimer Sr. who arent actively being pursued
      3) Cowher has so much to think through on this
      4) Cowher really doesn't have any other options than CBS or the Bills

I think its worth the wait. Impatient fans may not like to hear that, but I think its worth the wait.
      Last edited by X-Era; 01-10-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• BoyILuvLoznStupidly
        • Sep 2009

Well at least we still have 3 downs before we punt. It would suck if it was 3rd and long.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

On the CBS contract scenario with Cowher.

It looks like CBS is covering the SB. If he wont decide until after hes done with CBS, that means he waits until after the SB.

The complete 2024 NFL season schedule on ESPN. Includes game times, TV listings and ticket information for all NFL games.

As frustrating as that wait would be, there arent many other jobs out there, so the coord's could be put on hold if we wanted to wait for him. And as I said theres little competition for the other big namers like Billick or Shott Sr.

My thought is that even waiting until Cowher completes this years gig with CBS wouldnt seem to hurt our chances with anyone else.

Thoughts?

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

As much as I hate to wait for **** I agree with you Xera

Comment

• ddaryl
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by X-Era
              On the CBS contract scenario with Cowher.

It looks like CBS is covering the SB. If he wont decide until after hes done with CBS, that means he waits until after the SB.

The complete 2024 NFL season schedule on ESPN. Includes game times, TV listings and ticket information for all NFL games.

As frustrating as that wait would be, there arent many other jobs out there, so the coord's could be put on hold if we wanted to wait for him. And as I said theres little competition for the other big namers like Billick or Shott Sr.

My thought is that even waiting until Cowher completes this years gig with CBS wouldnt seem to hurt our chances with anyone else.

Thoughts?

there is absolutly no reason why Cowher can't announce that after this season he will be leaving CBS to coach the Bills...

we don't have to wait.... he just has to commit, and Ralph needs to promise him what he wants to hear

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BEASTMODE
                As much as I hate to wait for **** I agree with you Xera
                I don't think the Bills will hire anyone else until they get a no from Cowher.

IMO, I think hes our guy.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                  there is absolutly no reason why Cowher can't announce that after this season he will be leaving CBS to coach the Bills...

we don't have to wait.... he just has to commit, and Ralph needs to promise him what he wants to hear
                  On the surface, that makes sense.

But at the same time, people sometimes get in there mind what the right and wrong way to do things is. I have no idea, but I could see a guy like Cowher thinking this should be done a certain way.

But yes, why not simply say, "I will be leaving CBS after the year to join the Bills". I would see him then continue to be an analyst for the remainder of this year.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    • Jan 2005

2 The Bills' spending history. They have a poor history of holding on to their most talented players. Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Pat Williams, Jason Peters and Jabari Greer are players they did not retain. The Bills also dragged their feet on filling holes at offensive line and linebacker, choosing instead to go with inexperienced and cheap depth.

IMO this is the ONLY thing holding up any deal. The QB argument is valid but not the deal breaker... however this is....

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                      IMO this is the ONLY thing holding up any deal. The QB argument is valid but not the deal breaker... however this is....
                      Could be.

But Id argue:

Evans deal
                      TO deal
                      Dockery deal
                      L. Walker deal

We all know the list of guys they didnt pay. But that list at least makes a semi-valid argument.

I could also see that its not as much of a sticking point as some may think, he came from the Steelers.

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

I am not sure the Bills will wait until after the Super Bowl. That will really put them behind. What happens if Cowher says no after the Super Bowl then the Bills really are hosed and they know it regarding evaluating talent at the senior bowl amongst other things.

Also, Cowher saw ig name talent leave all the time in Pittsburgh. The difference is they had someone to replace them because they had great talent evaluators.
                        Last edited by don137; 01-10-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by don137
                          I am not sure the Bills will wait until after the Super Bowl. That will really put them behind. What happens if Cowher says no after the Super Bowl then the Bills really are hosed and they know it regarding evaluating talent at the senior bowl amongst other things.
                          Thats the only thing that would get screwed up IMO.

But the game will also be taped, the scouts will all be there, Nix will be there.

But your right, the logical thing to do is want your new guy, with plan for what he needs for his new schemes, to be there.

BTW, The senior bowl is Jan 30th.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Still plenty of time.

Comment

• Novacane
                            • Jul 2002

Cowher can take our job and still finish his CBS duties. Not like a couple hrs in the studio takes all week to prepare for. I don't think we should wait another month for him. The Bills need a yes or no this week.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Novacane
                              Cowher can take our job and still finish his CBS duties. Not like a couple hrs in the studio takes all week to prepare for. I don't think we should wait another month for him. The Bills need a yes or no this week.
                              I want an official PC saying Cowher is our guy now like the rest of you. But, why cant we wait? Why do we need a yes or no this week?

Why cant the Bills continue to interview guys that have few options, while waiting on a guy that has few options?

If things changed and new teams came into the mix, or new options opened, I would say we need to move fast. But I dont see that as being the case at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X