PDA

View Full Version : King: Bills to conduct several more interviews

shelby
01-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Multiple outlets are reporting that Minnesota assistant head coach and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is currently the "leader in the clubhouse" (http://twitter.com/SI_JimTrotter/statuses/7560142603) in the Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/BUF)' head coaching search. Frazier, who interviewed for Seattle's vacant head coaching position for four hours on Saturday, is said to have been very impressive in his Thursday interview with GM Buddy Nix.
As Sports Illustrated's Peter King points out, however, Frazier is only the clubhouse leader. King reports that the Bills are set to conduct "4 or 5" more interviews (http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/7572049020) for the head coaching job - and though this may have only been in reference to the excellent job he did in playoff action yesterday, King mentioned Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's name as one who could interview.
This is good news. Many people took issue with yesterday's report about Frazier's impressive interview simply because it appeared that the Bills might bypass due diligence and hire Frazier right away. That does not appear to be the case, and the more people that Nix and CEO Russ Brandon interview, the smaller chance that they screw this search process up.

read more.... (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/10/1243626/king-bills-to-conduct-several-more)

ddaryl
01-10-2010, 08:21 AM
I expect and demand nothing else but an exhaustive search, and a major effort to bring in a top HC

Historian
01-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Unfortunately, they're interviewing all second tier guys...coordinators, etc.

This team needs an established coach, not someone who's never sat in the big chair before.

Haven't we been down this road umteen times already?

X-Era
01-10-2010, 08:31 AM

This team needs an established coach, not someone who's never sat in the big chair before.

Interviewing second tier guys with few other options, while waiting on a big name guy with few options wouldn't seem to hurt our chances with anyone. :idunno:

Night Train
01-10-2010, 08:35 AM
..and after each known interview, King and ESPN will tell you that candidate from that day is now the favorite.

:rolleyes:

X-Era
01-10-2010, 08:36 AM
..and after each known interview, King and ESPN will tell you that candidate from that day is now the favorite.

:rolleyes:

They are totally, and most likely intentionally clueless.

ddaryl
01-10-2010, 08:46 AM

I agree... but I will deal with a coordinator after a very exhautive search and be slightly disapointed, but if they were to all of sudden name Frazier the HC today I would be devestated.....

I still stand by my feelings that if the Bills hire Cowher I go out and spend some money on offiical Bills paraphenallia immediately...

:horror:

If they hire a coordinator before exhausting every effort to land Bill or another big name proven HC I really scale back my fandom. I would wait until they prove to me they are a serious SB contender before investing finacially in this team which includes my Sunday ticket / superfan package

B-DON
01-10-2010, 08:51 AM
just cuz they are coordinators now doesnt mean they're second tier. everyone has to start somewhere. using your logic, cowher is nothing more than a retread

X-Era
01-10-2010, 08:57 AM
just cuz they are coordinators now doesnt mean they're second tier. everyone has to start somewhere. using your logic, cowher is nothing more than a retread

A guy that has a SB as a HC is not a retread, a guy with a career losing record as a HC is a retread.

ddaryl
01-10-2010, 08:59 AM
A guy that has a SB as a HC is not a retread, a guy with a career losing record as a HC is a retread.

A guy who was a winning successful HC but took a few years off to see his girls finish HS and go off to college and now is looking to return to coaching is not a retread...

B-DON
01-10-2010, 09:04 AM
jimmy johnson worked out real well for the dolphins after he won the superbowl right? how bout vermeil in kc? just sayin because he won it once under totally different circumstances doesnt mean he is our best option

X-Era
01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
jimmy johnson worked out real well for the dolphins after he won the superbowl right? how bout vermeil in kc? just sayin because he won it once under totally different circumstances doesnt mean he is our best option

A totally different scenario could mean failure, I admit that.

But I also feel Cowher is our best option.

B-DON
01-10-2010, 09:10 AM
A totally different scenario could mean failure, I admit that.

But I also feel Cowher is our best option.

look at the majority of coaches in the playoffs now. the majority are first time coordinators on their first head coaching gig. look at last years superbowl. i want cowher but we dont need cowher to be successful. thats all im sayin

X-Era
01-10-2010, 09:14 AM
look at the majority of coaches in the playoffs now. the majority are first time coordinators on their first head coaching gig. look at last years superbowl. i want cowher but we dont need cowher to be successful. thats all im sayin

Hold up though.

How many HC's with SB rings as HC's are in the league at all right now?

We may not need a guy like Cowher, we could succeed, I suppose with something else. But, IMO, I have seen this version before and its failed every time.

So why should I think anything differently now?

The last time we went to the SB was with a HOF HC, thats the data Im looking at.

B-DON
01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
but he wasnt a hof coach when we hired him. hell i think i heard something on nbc yesterday that marv wasnt even a coordinator when we hired him. u dont need experience to be a great coach. just need to know what the hell your doin

X-Era
01-10-2010, 09:26 AM
but he wasnt a hof coach when we hired him. hell i think i heard something on nbc yesterday that marv wasnt even a coordinator when we hired him. u dont need experience to be a great coach. just need to know what the hell your doin

So something miraculous occured once here in Buffalo, where we hired a no namer, and also had a half dozen future HOF players and a HOF GM.

If we had all that, I would have no problem getting a coord.

We dont. Id rather go with Cowher.

B-DON
01-10-2010, 09:30 AM
so would I, but what im sayin is frazier could be better than cowher. tomlin took cowhers same team and won it all in one year. what does that say about cowher?

X-Era
01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
so would I, but what im sayin is frazier could be better than cowher. tomlin took cowhers same team and won it all in one year. what does that say about cowher?

Its says he built the team into a winner and Tomlin managed to keep it that way and not screw it up? :idunno:

I cant agree than a current coord is better than Cowher for this team. Cant agree. In this situation, with us needing so much, you get the best guy possible.

muestafa1
01-10-2010, 09:34 AM

The problem with picking a coordinator is that you have to have a leap of faith and hope that the guy you pick can succeed as a head coach. Some coordinators turn out OK, many don't (see some of the Bill's past HC selections).

The other thing bad thing about bringing in a coordinator is that they're not in a position to make demands of the team. For instance, if Cowher comes here, he can deman assurances from RW and RB that they will spend more money to get players, assistant coaches. While spending more money doesn't guarantee victory it can help tip the scales and be the difference between winning and losing.

X-Era
01-10-2010, 09:36 AM
The problem with picking a coordinator is that you have to have a leap of faith and hope that the guy you pick can suceed as a head coach. Some coordinators turn out ok, many don't (see some of the Bill's past HC selections).

The other thing bad thing about bringing in a coordinator is that they're not in a position to make demands of the team. For instance, if Cowher comes here, he can deman assurances from RW and RB that they will spend more money to get players, assistant coaches. While spending more money doesn't guarantee victory it can help tip the scales and be the difference between winning and losing.

:clap:

Couldnt have said it better.

Our next HC has to change the whole mindset and approach from the top down. Some newbie HC wont have the pedigree to do that.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-10-2010, 09:37 AM

i agree that Cowher would be better but you have to realize he doesn't want to be here. It's him that's holding back on this decision not the Bills. His Wife is most def saying to not take it the job in Buffalo. I wish people would realize that he was never a realistic possibility and move on. This team will be much better, even with a first timer running the show.

B-DON
01-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Its says he built the team into a winner and Tomlin managed to keep it that way and not screw it up? :idunno:

I cant agree than a current coord is better than Cowher for this team. Cant agree. In this situation, with us needing so much, you get the best guy possible.

and how exactly do u know frazier isnt the best guy possible?

X-Era
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
and how exactly do u know frazier isnt the best guy possible?

Im going with whats proven, with data, not with whats unproven, thats failed here before.

B-DON
01-10-2010, 10:16 AM
what data shows a former superbowl coach comin to buffalo and repeating the forementioned?

B-DON
01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
its not like he had a bellichick dynasty going

X-Era
01-10-2010, 10:19 AM
what data shows a former superbowl coach comin to buffalo and repeating the forementioned?

The data of a guy thats been to the playoffs multiple times, over multiple years, with multiple different rosters, and has even won a SB as a HC.

That data is all I need to be convinced that the guy can coach a team and consistently put them in a position to win.

Thats versus a guy with no data as a head coach at all.

ddaryl
01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
This team will be much better, even with a first timer running the show.

puhhhhhhhhhhllllllllease

where have you've been

Williams = fail

Mularkey = Fail

this team can't be run by a 1st timer. this is not a franchise that has been good in their Front Office, and the only way to counter act that is with a coach like Cowher and his demands that he get mucho say in personnel moves.

any coordinator will be nothing more then HC who will have to work with what he is given, and that IMO makes Cowher the guy we need to land if were serious

Pinkerton Security
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
its not like he had a bellichick dynasty going

speaking of Belichick, how did his stint in Cleveland go? I know its been brought up before but if hes such a genius, why didnt he turn cleveland into a juggernaut?

The more i think about it the more i believe you need to have good coordinators and good management to be successful, and last but not least you need to have players who fit your system. There's a reason there are so many unsuccessful coaches in this league, and I think it is because you need to have a great balance between all of these factors in order to be successful.

That or Peyton Manning, and that obviously isnt happening for us.

B-DON
01-10-2010, 10:23 AM
The data of a guy thats been to the playoffs multiple times, over multiple years, with multiple different rosters, and has even won a SB as a HC.

That data is all I need to be convinced that the guy can coach a team and consistently put them in a position to win.

Thats versus a guy with no data as a head coach at all.

like i said before that was with a competent owner and under way different circumstances. we are just going to have to agree to disagree on cowher. while i would love him, i hes not my number one option my min point is we shouldnt be that down on frazier if he is the hire. the guy has credentials and good rep round the league

B-DON
01-10-2010, 10:25 AM
speaking of Belichick, how did his stint in Cleveland go? I know its been brought up before but if hes such a genius, why didnt he turn cleveland into a juggernaut?

The more i think about it the more i believe you need to have good coordinators and good management to be successful, and last but not least you need to have players who fit your system. There's a reason there are so many unsuccessful coaches in this league, and I think it is because you need to have a great balance between all of these factors in order to be successful.

That or Peyton Manning, and that obviously isnt happening for us.

you need good coordinators but a great coach can hide those weaknesses. bellichicks coordinators havent been so gret since they left him. owner and gm are most important in my book

X-Era
01-10-2010, 10:27 AM
like i said before that was with a competent owner and under way different circumstances. we are just going to have to agree to disagree on cowher. while i would love him, i hes not my number one option my min point is we shouldnt be that down on frazier if he is the hire. the guy has credentials and good rep round the league

Im not down on anyone.

I will only think it will be more of the same if we go the coord route.

Thats just based on what Ive seen here. I hope Im wrong if we got that route. :up:

B-DON
01-10-2010, 10:27 AM
and like u said having a peyton manning never hurts

X-Era
01-10-2010, 10:29 AM
and like u said having a peyton manning never hurts
That never hurts

Michael82
01-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm just glad that if we can't get Cowher, we are still going to interview more candidates. I hope that they aren't set on Frazier. I would love to see Grimm or Rivera if we go the coordinator route. But I don't want to see the same sham coaching search as our GM search was.

HAMMER
01-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I think the bulk of our recent coaching failures stems from the lack of good personnel people and Wilson himself. You can't develop top tier players and then let them all walk and expect to succeed. IMO nothing will change in Buffalo as long as Wilson has a say in any personnel matters.