PDA

View Full Version : Officials question

northernbillfan
01-10-2010, 02:37 PM
If they reviewed the play and moved the ball, why did the officials wait until after the measurement to see if Baltimore would have been charged with the time out?

Why does the fact on whether they got the first down or not have an impact on the challenge?

Baltimore challenged the spot not the result of the spot.

The officials moved the ball after looking at it under the hood so by that definition Balt won the challenge.

mikemac2001
01-10-2010, 02:38 PM
its one of those time wasting things

they changed the spot in order to get a first down...if they dont get first down they wasted 5 mins of everyones time so they get charged a TO

just to speed up the game

SpillerThrills
01-10-2010, 02:39 PM
according to the announcers, they only way it's a "successful" challenge is if it results in a first down when it comes to respotting the ball.

DrGraves
01-10-2010, 02:41 PM
because if this was true you could probably challenge every single play and move the ball a few inches... the game would take days to complete

northernbillfan
01-10-2010, 02:41 PM
That's crap. Officials moved the ball and changed the spot. In my opinion that is a successful challenge.

northernbillfan
01-18-2010, 01:17 AM
YEt in today's game there was a play where the Jets could have challenged the spot which would not have resulted in a first down, but a full two yards further. The announcers said that if they challenged the spot and won, they might have gone for it on fourth down because they would have only been less than half a yard away.

YardRat
01-18-2010, 01:20 AM
because if this was true you could probably challenge every single play and move the ball a few inches... the game would take days to complete

They have limits on number of challenges.

Typ0
01-18-2010, 05:35 AM
I've got to say not challenging this play was complete stupidity by the JESTS. Instead they called a timeout! But then again you only get two challenges a game. But it's crazy you can't challenge the spot of the ball and this situation is clearly a case for it.

YEt in today's game there was a play where the Jets could have challenged the spot which would not have resulted in a first down, but a full two yards further. The announcers said that if they challenged the spot and won, they might have gone for it on fourth down because they would have only been less than half a yard away.

Ickybaluky
01-18-2010, 08:35 AM
There are rules covering instant replay. There are certain plays that can be challenged and certain plays that cannot.

The spot of the ball can only be challenged in certain cases, you can't just challenge any spot. There has to be a ruling on the field, like calling a first down (or calling it short on 3rd or 4th). In those cases, a re-spot of the ball is not enough to win the challenge. A successful challenge would require the ball being re-spotted and the ruling on the field being overturned.

If the ball was re-spotted and the ruling on the field (first down) was not reversed, that is not a successful challenge. Those are the rules.

Throne Logic
01-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Theoretically, the Jets could still challenge the spot to get a better 4th down distance, but in doing so, knowingly sacrafice a time out.

Side note: I don't know why teams are limited to 2 challenges with the sometimes bonus of a third. Let teams challenge so long as they have timeouts.

Furthermore, I don't understand why they don't just make the Replay Official part of the on-field crew. He can add his TV enhanced observations to the huddle immediately. This would almost certainly reduce the need for challenges altogether.

Typ0
01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
That's why, in that situation I have no idea why the JESTS didn't throw the red flag since they were calling a timeout anyway.

Theoretically, the Jets could still challenge the spot to get a better 4th down distance, but in doing so, knowingly sacrafice a time out.

Side note: I don't know why teams are limited to 2 challenges with the sometimes bonus of a third. Let teams challenge so long as they have timeouts.

Furthermore, I don't understand why they don't just make the Replay Official part of the on-field crew. He can add his TV enhanced observations to the huddle immediately. This would almost certainly reduce the need for challenges altogether.

imbondz
01-18-2010, 12:09 PM
it's so gay that the Jets are in the AFC Championship Game

Typ0
01-18-2010, 12:20 PM
it's so gay that the Jets are in the AFC Championship Game

It just goes to show how little separates the teams really. I never would have thought they would get this far at the beginning of the season but they did. We could have too with some decent QB play IMO.