• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

So, in summary.........

1. Bill Cowher has not said "No" to the Bills.

2. It appears as if the Bills are making a full out push to get him in town. Their past history might kill them, but they are doing what they can now.

3. On all of the sports discussion shows that talk about the situation, Cowher to Buffalo is dismissed as something will never happen. However, those people never seem to cite sources and seem to be speculating and using "common sense" When sources are cited, it sounds like he is considering it.

4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting.

5. The Bills are being very slow in interviewing other candidates. This is not necessarily bad, because there is no competition for hc jobs, as of now. The problem starts to arise when it is time to hire assistants.

6. Cowher has also not said yes. Disturbing. Assuming the offer made is a fair one (And I am positive it is), what is the hold-up? Hold-ups like family and talent level of the roster are out of the Bills hands right now.

7. People will take the smallest rumor and run with it, even if it is from a random douchebag on Twitter, Facebook or message boards.

8. If Cowher wants the job, he might take awhile to say yes. How long should the Bills wait before they move on and go after somebody else?

9. The hire of Nix might not be a negative, in fact it might be positive. Fact is, if he comes in Cowher will not want a strong GM. He will want somebody he can work with and that can help evaluate talent. But not somebody with a strong track record that could try and fight all of his choices. There is little doubt that Nix can evaluate talent.

10. Keeping Modrak around, is also not terrible. Cowher worked with him before and they appear to respect and like one another.

11. The number of false rumors is staggering. Everybody remember the rumor about the Bills standing up a meeting with Cowher? I think that was my favorite one!!!!

Look, as of this time nobody knows for sure what is going. Based on the reports that we have seen from people who have shown a good track record, it appears as if the Bills are strongly pursuing the man with a chin. They have likely made a fair offer to him. What needs to happen now, is he needs to decide to accept or reject it. He might need to be convinced that money will be spent on players and assistants. He might need to convince his family. In the meantime, the Bills are slowly looking for plan B by interviewing Frazier, Fewell and perhaps Harbaugh, Grim and others. And this mystery might not be resolved for a long time. Or, it could be resolved tomorrow morning or tonight.

All I know is that if there are any flights from NYC to Buffalo tonight, I am going speculate away!!!!!
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: So, in summary.........

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
    All I know is that if there are any flights from NYC to Buffalo tonight, I am going speculate away!!!!!
    I can name several flights from JFK to Buffalo via Jet Blue that run after 8:30PM ET...I used to take them...lol...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

that would be amazing if cowher was on a jetblue.com flight.

he'd be showing his real "bluecollar" mentality.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

I think the good Dr. is onto something.

Excellent post
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• EricStratton
          • Jul 2002

I wonder what affect the fact that CBS has the Superbowl may have of his decision.

Would he hold off on a decision to honor his commitment to the network?

Comment

• cwkbills
            • Jan 2010

Take a look at this video it says it all.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Neubs24
              CEO of Dubious Operations
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by EricStratton
              I wonder what affect the fact that CBS has the Superbowl may have of his decision.

Would he hold off on a decision to honor his commitment to the network?
              I was wondering this too... that maybe he has to wait out his CBS thing. He may have agreed and has staff agreements in place, but cant announce it for a certain time. That would explain the "I cant comment at this time" from our friend in NYC

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                • Jul 2005

2. It appears as if the Bills are making a full out push to get him in town. Their past history might kill them, but they are doing what they can now.

3. On all of the sports discussion shows that talk about the situation, Cowher to Buffalo is dismissed as something will never happen. However, those people never seem to cite sources and seem to be speculating and using "common sense" When sources are cited, it sounds like he is considering it.

4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting.

5. The Bills are being very slow in interviewing other candidates. This is not necessarily bad, because there is no competition for hc jobs, as of now. The problem starts to arise when it is time to hire assistants.

6. Cowher has also not said yes. Disturbing. Assuming the offer made is a fair one (And I am positive it is), what is the hold-up? Hold-ups like family and talent level of the roster are out of the Bills hands right now.

7. People will take the smallest rumor and run with it, even if it is from a random douchebag on Twitter, Facebook or message boards.

8. If Cowher wants the job, he might take awhile to say yes. How long should the Bills wait before they move on and go after somebody else?

9. The hire of Nix might not be a negative, in fact it might be positive. Fact is, if he comes in Cowher will not want a strong GM. He will want somebody he can work with and that can help evaluate talent. But not somebody with a strong track record that could try and fight all of his choices. There is little doubt that Nix can evaluate talent.

10. Keeping Modrak around, is also not terrible. Cowher worked with him before and they appear to respect and like one another.

11. The number of false rumors is staggering. Everybody remember the rumor about the Bills standing up a meeting with Cowher? I think that was my favorite one!!!!

Look, as of this time nobody knows for sure what is going. Based on the reports that we have seen from people who have shown a good track record, it appears as if the Bills are strongly pursuing the man with a chin. They have likely made a fair offer to him. What needs to happen now, is he needs to decide to accept or reject it. He might need to be convinced that money will be spent on players and assistants. He might need to convince his family. In the meantime, the Bills are slowly looking for plan B by interviewing Frazier, Fewell and perhaps Harbaugh, Grim and others. And this mystery might not be resolved for a long time. Or, it could be resolved tomorrow morning or tonight.

Good post.

The bottom line is the pendulum of collective fan emotion should not be swinging wildly left to right and back. With the exception of firings/hirings that modify the market for Cohwer's services, there really has been NO NEWS. We're pursuing him. He's thinking about it and while rumor suggests it is unlikely that he's interested, he has not yet said "no." Everything else is speculation.

It sucks, but we've got to hunker down and just wait. No reason to get frantic over every commentator's prognosis.
                Last edited by Saratoga Slim; 01-10-2010, 05:09 PM.
                Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Neubs24
                  CEO of Dubious Operations
                  • Feb 2005

Also, if its CBS gumming up the works, do we have any past examples of a coach leaving a network to compare to to see if that is in fact the case?

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

4. The one place that it could be shot down on, CBS, made not mention of it today. When Casserly discussed candidates for the Bills, Cowher's name was never mentioned. Very interesting

This is confusing one to me. What does anyone else make of this? I'd say it was a good sign if not for what Adam Schefter said today. I can not believe he would make the statements he did without some very very very solid sources telling him no Cowher in Buffalo. I'm 99.9% convinced Cowher ain't comming to Buffalo.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                      • Jul 2002

Excellent post...but I highly doubt that the Nix hire is viewed as a good hire in the NFL. The only way it looks good is if Cowher or Marty comes here...otherwise it looks foolish.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

The Bills play most of their games on CBS, so his story could be an exclusive to them.

James Brown introduced the pre-game panel in a week or 2 and says " You may notice an empty chair " ( Cowhers ). The camera goes to a remote location and there is Cowher smiling. He puts on a Bills cap and says " you'll be seeing me on the sidelines next season, on CBS " .

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SpillerThrills
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cwkbills
                          Take a look at this video it says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jpSH6zYrE

I have that hat, it's from like '94.... come on dude, buy a new one!
                          2008-2009 BZHL Champion!
                          2008 Pro Football Pick 'em Champion!
                          2008 Survival Football Co-Champion!
                          2006-2007 3 Star Pick 'em Champion!

Comment

• SpillerThrills
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Novacane
                            This is confusing one to me. What does anyone else make of this? I'd say it was a good sign if not for what Adam Schefter said today. I can not believe he would make the statements he did without some very very very solid sources telling him no Cowher in Buffalo. I'm 99.9% convinced Cowher ain't comming to Buffalo.

CBS might have said something to the crew about not mentioning Cowher's name in regards to Buffalo because something may be in the works. just because his name wasn't mentioned doesn't mean that someone told him no, it just means he might have been told not to mention it.
                            2008-2009 BZHL Champion!
                            2008 Pro Football Pick 'em Champion!
                            2008 Survival Football Co-Champion!
                            2006-2007 3 Star Pick 'em Champion!

Comment

• zone
                              No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Novacane
                              The thing is Schefter can say whatever the heck he wants. Cowher has had plenty of chances to say that he will not be in Buffalo next year and has not done that.

Why is that?
                              www.blzbus.com

Comment

Working...
                              X