PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Corner: Canada still develops the best hockey players in the world?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Hockey Night In Canada - Coach's Corner: Saturday January 9th 2010
Don Cherry and Ron MacLean.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GIQB1rCEgFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GIQB1rCEgFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

DMBcrew36
01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's got a point. But isn't it obvious? Way more people play hockey in Canada despite Canada having a much smaller population. Hockey is life in Canada.

And on a side note, he did say in the beginning that he is happy for the U.S.

But I could tell he didn't like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeGQmvqWmo

chernobylwraiths
01-11-2010, 06:50 AM
I just saw the picture of the clip and I don't know if my stomach can stand looking at that suit for its entirety.

SabreEleven
01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
He is right. If Canada could have played all the kids that were eligible but are in the NHL right now, It wouldn't even been close in the Gold medal game.

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
looks like he is right to me.

DrGraves
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
we get the point don... no need to be a dick about it. might be the worst suit yet too... lol

Demon
01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Don Cherry is an idiot.

USA holds titles in U17, U18 and now U20 world championships.

DMBcrew36
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Don Cherry is an idiot.

Lets be real - he might be a blow-hard, but he is not an idiot. The guy has about 5000x more credibility than Barry Melrose or any other hack on ESPN or Sports Illustrated (yeah, I know that's not saying much, though). The fact that he is opinionated and says whatever the hell he wants, no matter who he might offend, is what makes him great.

I said before, he should give U.S. a little more credit, but he was right on with most of what he said.

Demon
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Lets be real - he might be a blow-hard, but he is not an idiot. The guy has about 5000x more credibility than Barry Melrose or any other hack on ESPN or Sports Illustrated (yeah, I know that's not saying much, though). The fact that he is opinionated and says whatever the hell he wants, no matter who he might offend, is what makes him great.

I said before, he should give U.S. a little more credit, but he was right on with most of what he said.

Not really. Jim Kelley from SI.com is way better when it comes to pure hockey talk. Cherry is seen so great because he's so loud and annoying. A lot of times, he actually has no idea what he is talking about. The US juniors have dominated Canada at every single level this past year. Kids who do go play in the OHL, are good enough before they get there. These kids, such as Patrick Kane, was already developed before he went to London and started to skate circles around some of these Canadian kids. Same with Rob Schremp when he left the Syracuse Stars. Kids who are undeveloped, don't go to Canada to play hockey.

The arguement is stupid, because, they have a junior league. It wouldn't be fair for an American broadcaster to rip Canada's love for hockey because they only have 6 teams. I mean, each 6 are passionate but of course they are, they only have 6. They have a junior league and our best players go there if they don't want to go to college. Guys like Jonathan Taews skipped juniors and went to NCAA. Does that mean he thinks CHL sucks?

We won the U20, the U18 and the U17 this past year. Only in the U20, was Canada missing a lot of their fire power. I'm not saying Canada sucks, or that USA is even better then Canada, but in the last several years, USA has gotten much closer to Canada and results are prove of it.

And, speaking of ESPN, Melrose and Barnaby are horrible. Hate their knowledge of the game. But, i think it's ESPN fault. Barnaby was good on the enforcers with Rob Ray, but on ESPN the topics they talk about just suck and they seem to "dumb it down". Like they know their crowd is an uneducated hockey crowd.

DrGraves
01-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Don Cherry is an idiot.

his point was that all those US kids on those teams played and learned to play in canada..