PDA

View Full Version : Pick up the phone can call Jim Harbaugh

gonzo1105
01-11-2010, 08:09 AM
I know that he is a college coach without even assistant coaching experience in the NFL but for some reason I think he would make an excellent head coach in the NFL. Maybe its just watching the way his brother manages the game for the Ravens but if Cowher has turned us down and we are not interested in Billick, I would much rather see us pick up Harbaugh then any other assistant out there. He just strikes me as a guy who's in tuned with the game and gets people motivated to want to play for him. Look at what he has done at miserable Stanford. I'm really really surprised that USC hasn't called him yet about taking their job now that Carroll left.

Beebe's Kid
01-11-2010, 08:17 AM
i agree that he may be a good option, but I wonder how his punching Kelly in the head will affect his chances? I am not being sarcastic, I am serious.

BrotherChazz
01-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Jim Kelly says he never punched him. One of those guys was lying. I don't think it would have any impact other than some awkwardness the first time they saw each other and I'm 100% sure, some joking about it at the press conference.

I would love to see Harbaugh. Both places where he's been a head coach his teams have gotten better each year.

Night Train
01-11-2010, 09:34 AM
The way things are going, we shouldn't be turning ANYONE down who is interested. Ralphs rep is rock bottom.

We are starting to look like beggers.

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
meh... see you know... i am so torn on how to talk about Harbaugh here.

Normally i just stick to the Kelly/Harbaugh fight story and just leave it at that. But i feel the need to say something more... just not sure what.

Let me try this.

I have heard a number of unsavory rumors about Harbaugh and how he runs his life and the lives of the players on his team. These rumors have dogged Harbaugh since he was in the NFL. I don't know if they are true... but they seem very credible to me. (these are the type of rumors that just always seems to fit what you know for fact, but what you know for fact never is quite enough to confirm it)

See i don't want to say more because at least one is a serious allegation to make about someone, without proof.

Let me just say i won't be put out or even remotely upset if the Bills never call him, or if they do, Harbaugh turns them down.

(understand these rumors are about Jim Harbaugh, not his brother the coach of the Ravens, I have never heard these rumors attributed to John)

TheBrownBear
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
meh... see you know... i am so torn on how to talk about Harbaugh here.

Normally i just stick to the Kelly/Harbaugh fight story and just leave it at that. But i feel the need to say something more... just not sure what.

Let me try this.

I have heard a number of unsavory rumors about Harbaugh and how he runs his life and the lives of the players on his team. These rumors have dogged Harbaugh since he was in the NFL. I don't know if they are true... but they seem very credible to me. (these are the type of rumors that just always seems to fit what you know for fact, but what you know for fact never is quite enough to confirm it)

See i don't want to say more because at least one is a serious allegation to make about someone, without proof.

Let me just say i won't be put out or even remotely upset if the Bills never call him, or if they do, Harbaugh turns them down.

(understand these rumors are about Jim Harbaugh, not his brother the coach of the Ravens, I have never heard these rumors attributed to John)
Hmmnnn...I have never heard rumors about Harbaugh, and I live in SoCal and have followed him at Stanford and San Diego. Also, I have a hard time believing a school like Stanford would hire Harbaugh if there were any truth to "your" rumors. Stanford is very selective when it comes to their athletic programs and always puts integrity in front of winning. I just don't buy it, especially with you being unable to give us even the slightest illumination as to what these rumors might be.

Mathja
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
He is at the top of my wishlist (After Cowher). I don't know anything about any rumors, but jeez, Stanford is the Harvard of the West Coast. I would think they'd do some digging and a background check before hiring a guy to be the face of their program.

I'm sure a lot of guys did some crazy things while playing in the NFL. Perhaps those days are behind him. It's hard to talk about allegations when I have no idea what they are.

I like the idea of him as Bills Coach because it's tough to recruit at Stanford. They have really high academic standards and aren't exactly looked at as a perenial powerhouse. Still, he's finding a way to beat some big teams. He's maximizing the talent he has to work with. I think that could come in handy in Buffalo.

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Hmmnnn...I have never heard rumors about Harbaugh, and I live in SoCal and have followed him at Stanford and San Diego. Also, I have a hard time believing a school like Stanford would hire Harbaugh if there were any truth to "your" rumors. Stanford is very selective when it comes to their athletic programs and always puts integrity in front of winning. I just don't buy it, especially with you being unable to give us even the slightest illumination as to what these rumors might be.

that's fair. I probably shouldn't have made the previous post anyway.

As i said, i have no evidence that they are true, just suspicious and the stories seem to match what i know about the guy.

understand if these rumors were more then just "office scuttlebutt" you'd definitely have heard them. but as they stand no reporter would breath them because they could ruin someone's life or career even if false

(believe me reporters have heard the rumors... i don't know if any have investigated them, but i'd find it unbelievable they wouldn't if for no other reason then to satisfy their own curiosity)

meh forget i said anything. i knew i shouldn't have wrote that when i wrote it.

Mudflap1
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I haven't heard anything specific, but I have heard rumblings that Jim Harbaugh is far from a wholesome, good guy. That being said, you don't need to have a Boy Scout as your head coach, in fact a drill sergeant is probably more like it, but I have heard that Harbaugh is kind of a self-serving jerk, among other things. I'll leave it at that.

Point being, not sure if his personality would make sense in Buffalo. Not sure he is a Buffalo kind of guy.

That being said, if Jim Kelly really is involved in a fairly responsible role with this team, I can't see how Harbaugh could be considered given their past.

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I have heard rumblings that Jim Harbaugh is far from a wholesome, good guy. That being said, you don't need to have a Boy Scout as your head coach, in fact a drill sergeant is probably more like it, but I have heard that Harbaugh is kind of a self-serving jerk, among other things. I'll leave it at that.

yes. i've heard that as well. if that's all i've heard about him i wouldn't be that concerned. There are plenty of HCs in the NFL we'd all classify that way. Some of them pretty good.

Mudflap1
01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
yes. i've heard that as well. if that's all i've heard about him i wouldn't be that concerned. There are plenty of HCs in the NFL we'd all classify that way. Some of them pretty good.

Yes, but I have heard that Harbaugh goes out of his way to be obnoxious and abrasive to a lot of people, which would be a problem somewhere down the line with media, players, ownership, something. It's all fun and games until someone faces adversity, then all of a sudden the cute obnoxious behavior becomes a meltdown.

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, but I have heard that Harbaugh goes out of his way to be obnoxious and abrasive to a lot of people, which would be a problem somewhere down the line with media, players, ownership, something. It's all fun and games until someone faces adversity, then all of a sudden the cute obnoxious behavior becomes a meltdown.

i've heard this too.

again, if you win in the NFL you get to be like this all you want... like Belichick

Jeff1220
01-11-2010, 03:43 PM
My curiosity and imagination are going wild w/this.

TheBrownBear
01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't doubt that there are rumors...there obviously are. I just question their validity. But I'm curious now, so I'll snoop around and see if I can get anything from my UCLA booster connections.

baalworship
01-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Jerry Sullivan just said on WGR that Harbaugh is someone the Bills are interested in. Guess we'll know how much soon enough.

Mudflap1
01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
I wonder what Jim Kelly thinks about this.

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't doubt that there are rumors...there obviously are. I just question their validity. But I'm curious now, so I'll snoop around and see if I can get anything from my UCLA booster connections.

might not be a bad place to start. i'm sure some of the rumors will be floating around in that group. Depends who you know and how well connected they are, but assuming they are moderately plugged in i wouldn't be surprised if they heard something.

Tatonka
01-11-2010, 04:47 PM
if bringing him here means we can get gerhart.. bring him.