PDA

View Full Version : Are Bills Fans deterring Coaches from coming here?

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Was just reading Pat Moran's article about Cowher not coming here and the article also mentions how Rivera has declined an interview as well as Russ Grimm who is most likely going to decline today. John Fox also apparently has no interest in coming to Buffalo. Marty doesn't want to be here either apparently.

So all these coaches would rather do NFL shows, stay retired or remain Coordinators than become the HC of the Bills.

I honestly think that people in NFL circles:

A: Don't like what Wilson brings to the table in terms of providing resources which reduces their ability to compete.

B: In conjunction with A, I am really am starting to believe that the way we ridiculed Jauron and the FO on the Billboard got national attention in a negative way.

Who would want to coach in Buffalo after we embarrassed Jauron (who is a well respected guy in the league) and his family in such a disrespectful way.

Bills fans (especially the ones who provided the Billboard) can blame themselves for quality HC candidates not wanting to come here to get subjected to that kind of fate.

I realize Bills fans wanted to make a difference and FORCE change but generally, other coaches watching around the league will not respond well when coaches they have worked with, know, and respect are torn down like that.

Bills fans made their bed, now lie in it and wait for Joe Shmo to come be our HC.

patmoran2006
01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Was just reading Pat Moran's article about Cowher not coming here and the article also mentions how Rivera has declined an interview as well as Russ Grimm who is most likely going to decline today. John Fox also apparently has no interest in coming to Buffalo. Marty doesn't want to be here either apparently.

So all these coaches would rather do NFL shows, stay retired or remain Coordinators than become the HC of the Bills.

A: Don't like what Wilson brings to the table in terms of providing resources which reduces their ability to compete.

B: In conjunction with A, I am really am starting to believe that the way we ridiculed Jauron and the FO on the Billboard got national attention in a negative way.

Who would want to coach in Buffalo after we embarrassed Jauron (who is a well respected guy in the league) and his family in such a disrespectful way.

Bills fans (especially the ones who provided the Billboard) can blame themselves for quality HC candidates not wanting to come here to get subjected to that kind of fate.

I realize Bills fans wanted to make a difference and FORCE change but generally, other coaches watching around the league will not respond well when coaches they have worked with, know, and respect are torn down like that.

Bills fans made their bed, now lie in it and wait for Joe Shmo to come be our HC.

I always respect your opinions, but do you honestly think that the billboard is the reason we're going to end up with Frazier or someone like that, instead of Cowher, Marty S. or Billick?

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
The Jauron billboard was disgraceful and embarrassing.

trapezeus
01-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Jauron was disgraceful and embarassing. The billboard was just an offshoot of that.

DraftBoy
Complete agreement Mahdi.

Ridiculing our former coach and attempting to name our own head coach...why in the world would a top tier guy want to come here? The fans have shown they will turn on our coach and publicly attempt to embarass him.

Mahdi
I always respect your opinions, but do you honestly think that the billboard is the reason we're going to end up with Frazier or someone like that, instead of Cowher, Marty S. or Billick?
I honestly believe that the KILL JAURON Billboard brought some serious negative attention our way and now we are seen as a crappy place to go coach.

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Jauron was disgraceful and embarassing. The billboard was just an offshoot of that.
Just because the man failed to win with a crappy team it doesn't mean fans should stoop to such a level.

patmoran2006
01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I see your point.

(BTW, the Jauron billboard wasn't me)

Fans have sat by for a decade and watched us lose. They want major changes and are sick of it.

That's my personal rationale.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 10:50 AM

We attempted to name Cowher as the only coach we would accept as the next HC. If you're Shotty why in the hell would you go coach where you're clearly not wanted.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
I see your point.

(BTW, the Jauron billboard wasn't me)

Fans have sat by for a decade and watched us lose. They want major changes and are sick of it.

That's my personal rationale.

That's fine and if you want attack the decision maker, in Wilson. Not the coaches, and don't attempt to take measures into your own hands.

Dr. Lecter

Jauron was a bad head coach. No doubt.

That in no way justifies publicly humiliating the man and his family.

It was a childish, petty idea.

Mahdi
We attempted to name Cowher as the only coach we would accept as the next HC. If you're Shotty why in the hell would you go coach where you're clearly not wanted.
Reason #3.

Mr Hotstepper
01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
75,000 in a blizzard in January to watch their 5 win team play backups.

I don't think the fans are the problem.

We all know that it's Ralph. He's the one who actually fired Jauron mid season.

He's the one who doesn't resign his own proven vets, and who doesn't come within $30 million of the cap.

Not the fans.

hydro
01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Oh I see. The fire Jauron billboard can persuade another coach not to come here but another billboard asking that one come to Buffalo won't do anything. Got it ;)

trapezeus
01-11-2010, 10:53 AM
that isn't proper logic. these coaches know that they are judged immediately. perhaps we shouldn't boo these individuals.

The fact is ralph kept jauron in his misery. If he would have sacked him when he should have (2-8 with the easiest schedule), fans wouldn't have to clamour for it. and the billboard didn't do anything. it was the fact a different old geezer gave ralph the finger....twice.

And this billboard won't do anything either. but it sure feels nice to pretty much show ralph that that is what we want and without it, he's not getting our season ticket money next year.

The message needed to be sent.

HAMMER
01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Hard to argue with you on any of your points. Buffalo comes off as looking amateurish with these billboards, a collosal waste of money and time. Far and away the biggest reason for coaches lack of interest in the job is Ralph Wilson.

Jaybird
I don't wan't a coach who would be turned off by the doings of some fans.

trapezeus
no one mocked his family. it just asked that he be let go. It didn't mock him in anyway. his record speaks for itself. the fact he makes the same mistakes week in week out is a bigger embarassment for him than a billboard calling him out for it.

If he didn't want that, he should have resigned after taking a 5-1 team and crashing it into the ground with an 0-6 record in his own division.

Run_Two_Three
A lot of good points here. I'm not thrilled about the billboard for a different reason.

When Cowher doesn't come to Buffalo, it will make us look like even more of a joke than we already do. With no billboard, if we don't get Cowher, it will either look like the Bills didn't target him, or didn't push very hard for him. Now, everybody knows the fans want him, so they ask the Bills, who confirm that they want him. I just think it's gonna look REALLY bad when we end up with some scrub.

We basically took out a billboard to advertise the fact that we're a joke, and nobody wants to come to Buffalo. It's already hard to get coaches and free agents to agree to play here. I think this will make it even harder.

BAM
I think it's a combination of Ralph Wilson, our recent history of sucking arse and the fact that Buffalo is just not that nice of a city.

The fans are little, if anything, of a deterrent.

BillsFanCupp38
01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I am not buying that. Firing Jauron was a move that should have been done last year and EVERYONE knew it. I also honestly think that the billboard had little or nothing to do with the firing of Jauron. It was a long time coming. Also our fans have a reputation for being the best in the league. Although I am not exactly sure why premier head coaches do not want to come to Buffalo, but I believe it has more to do with the owner/front office/ small market/ weather than the fans.

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Oh I see. The fire Jauron billboard can persuade another coach not to come here but another billboard asking that one come to Buffalo won't do anything. Got it ;)
Glad you get it.

patmoran2006
01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I dont see how fans that have sold out the stadium for three years running ona team that's lost all decade long could be considered a deterent to any coach.

Bu that's just my opinion.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I dont see how fans that have sold out the stadium for three years running ona team that's lost all decade long could be considered a deterent to any coach.

Because the coach doesn't care about sell outs. That's what the owner cares about.

Your point doesn't have much relevance.

SabreEleven
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
So coaches aren't coming to coach in Buffalo because of the fans? Really? This a produce-or-get-out business, Jauron didn't produce so we let him know. How in the world did the Philadelphia Eagles ever get a coach? hell, they boo'd Santa Claus there for christ sake.

The fans aren't the problem, Ralph Wilson is.

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I am not buying that. Firing Jauron was a move that should have been done last year and EVERYONE knew it. I also honestly think that the billboard had little or nothing to do with the firing of Jauron. It was a long time coming. Also our fans have a reputation for being the best in the league. Although I am not exactly sure why premier head coaches do not want to come to Buffalo, but I believe it has more to do with the owner/front office/ small market/ weather than the fans.
No one is saying the Billboard was responsible for the firing of Jauron.

I am saying that the Billboard (Both of them) are pushing potential candidates away.

Like I said, Jauron was well liked and well respected and the Billboard was a slap in the face to all NFL coaches.

You will say that Jauron sucked as a coach, thats fine, and fair, but sucking as a coach is not a reason to disrespect the man in that way. He did not insult anyone in the city of Buffalo, he didn't commit any crime and he did not do anything immoral. He failed to coach a bad team.

Sorry but not doing a good job coaching a sport does not mean you get to be ripped in that way.

It's just plain hurts to see your name plastered all over a "Get out of our city" Billboard.

Think about it.

BillsFanCupp38
01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
So coaches aren't coming to coach in Buffalo because of the fans? Really? This a produce-or-get-out business, Jauron didn't produce so we let him know. How in the world did the Philadelphia Eagles ever get a coach? hell, they boo'd Santa Claus there for christ sake.

Even the spoiled Patriots fans were booing there team and are probably debating on wether billicheat should get fired.:bs:

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Because the passion of Bills fans went a step too far and tarnished our rep.

patmoran2006
01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Buffalo's organization has done a fine job of tarnishing their rep on their own.

Fans want their voices heard, and I personally have no problem with it.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Buffalo's organization has done a fine job of tarnishing their rep on their own.

Then have no problem with a second or third tier coach then.

You got more than you asked for, lack of foresight brough this upon us.

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Booing is one thing, reporters writing articles is one thing.

Putting the guy's name on a Billboard funded by fans is another.

Even Raider fans didn't go that far with the Billboard they put up. All it asked for was a GM to be named.

hydro
I haven't heard ANYTHING about the Bengals fans rep being tarnished and they put up a billboard to. You would think that would be something that would come up. Never hear about it.

BAM

My only regret is that I didn't find out about the first billboard early enough to donate for it. Loved the idea.

Oldbillsfan
Fans that want their team to win after a decade are an embarrassment? A deterrent?

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I haven't heard ANYTHING about the Bengals fans rep being tarnished and they put up a billboard to. You would think that would be something that would come up. Never hear about it.

Who did the Bengals fans publicly disgrace again?

SabreEleven
01-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Because the passion of Bills fans went a step too far and tarnished our rep.

Please tell me wrote this without laughing. Ralph Wilson didn't our help with ruining the reputation.

jdbillsfan
01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
This is silly. These billboards aren't deterring coaches.

If I put up a billboard that says something about the Bills, potential coaches don't care.

BillsFanCupp38
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
No one is saying the Billboard was responsible for the firing of Jauron.

I am saying that the Billboard (Both of them) are pushing potential candidates away.

Like I said, Jauron was well liked and well respected and the Billboard was a slap in the face to all NFL coaches.

You will say that Jauron sucked as a coach, thats fine, and fair, but sucking as a coach is not a reason to disrespect the man in that way. He did not insult anyone in the city of Buffalo, he didn't commit any crime and he did not do anything immoral. He failed to coach a bad team.

Sorry but not doing a good job coaching a sport does not mean you get to be ripped in that way.

It's just plain hurts to see your name plastered all over a "Get out of our city" Billboard.

Think about it.

I understand what your saying. No doubt Jauron is class act. Maybe billboards voicing oppinions could deter a coach from wanting to come here. I just think it shows the passion we fans have and the willingness to do whatever it takes to get a winner on our part. I think Bills fans are different. When I talk about the Bills I always refer to them as "we" because I feel like I am apart of the entire organization. I feel like we do have a say in these matters because I pretty much devote my life to them and though its not that important because I love them, we practically pay the whole organization with ticket sales, merchandise, ect. We just want what is best for our team just like a good parent.

Lone Stranger
01-11-2010, 11:10 AM
This one is squarely on Ralph Wilson's shoulders as well as his incompetent football organization. I personally don't believe the owners in this league really care much about fans; it's TV revenue that generates the $.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I understand what your saying. No doubt Jauron is class act. Maybe billboards voicing oppinions could deter a coach from wanting to come here. I just think it shows the passion we fans have and the willingness to do whatever it takes to get a winner on our part. I think Bills fans are different. When I talk about the Bills I always refer to them as "we" because I feel like I am apart of the entire organization. I feel like we do have a say in these matters because I pretty much devote my life to them and though its not that important because I love them, we practically pay the whole organization with ticket sales, merchandise, ect. We just want what is best for our team just like a good parent.

Nobody is questioning this towns passion. I mean that is evident in the ticket sales and mechandise.

However to go as far as some fans choose to go, was crossing a line.

Let me ask you (and every other billboard supporter) this question. You are now Marty Shottenheimer. You are 100% aware of the Cowher billboard and how the fans only want him. Why would you leave retirement to go to the Bills, where you are not wanted?

patmoran2006
01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
No matter your opinion on the billboard, it isnt ALL bad.

So far we've raised $550 for Hunter's Hope on the behalf of Bills fans due to the billboard, and hopefully that number will increase a lot more in the upcoming days.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM
No matter your opinion on the billboard, it isnt ALL bad.

So far we've raised $550 for Hunter's Hope on the behalf of Bills fans due to the billboard, and hopefully that number will increase a lot more in the upcoming days.

The Hunter's Hope money is truly the best thing about the billboard.

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Fans that want their team to win after a decade are an embarrassment? A deterrent?
We all want the Bills to win, but insulting coaches in that way brings a negative view to Buffalo whether you like it or not.

For example,

If you are going to a party one night and when you get there a guy you really like and respect was thrown out of the party because he was wearing nerdy clothes, you would probably not think too highly of that party and the people running it. And you would feel bad to go to the party seeing what they did to your friend.

Of course some might go anyway and that will be the coach we get. At the end of the day the Billboard not only alienated Jauron but it offended most of the coaches and NFL people in the league.

Oh and if you think what I am saying is a stretch Mariucci on NFLN was also pretty vocal about how Jauron got fired mid-season, what do you think he thought of the Billboard and others like Mariucci?

BillsFanCupp38
01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Nobody is questioning this towns passion. I mean that is evident in the ticket sales and mechandise.

Let me ask you (and every other billboard supporter) this question. You are now Marty Shottenheimer. You are 100% aware of the Cowher billboard and how the fans only want him. Why would you leave retirement to go to the Bills, where you are not wanted?

I see what your saying. But I do not know what goes through a premier coaches head when he looks at that. He might think that this town just wants a proven winner. Somebody who can lead teams to the playoffs and turn an organization around. Just because Cower's picture is up there doesn't necessarily mean other coaches think that we would only be happy with Cower. A coach could look at his image as a symbol of what this organization needs. Plus it was a long shot desperate attempt to lure Cower in here. Its all about perspective :D

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Great, excellent point.

So if you feel as though you are connected to the Bills and almost part of the organization then don't you think fans should have handled themselves more respectfully and professionally?

hydro
01-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Well he is drawing his own conclusion. It doesn't say "Cowher or else".

jdbillsfan
01-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Hopefully he won't base his decision on a fan billboard. If these coaches make decisions off of what fans do or say, they aren't going to be very successful.

jdbillsfan
01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I also think Billboards, signs, etc. from fans, make up what % of the fan base? If I make a billboard that says We want Brian Billick, come to Buffalo, does everyone understand that this isn't representative of the entire fan base?

I am sure these coaches understand that.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Well he is drawing his own conclusion. It doesn't say "Cowher or else".

The billboard says "Buffalo Fans want Cowher"...explain how there is any room for misreading that exactly.

trapezeus
01-11-2010, 11:22 AM
what other team is continuously putting out a crap product like us. The lions. that's it.

the raiders suck, but were in a superbowl at the beginning of the decade. They probably win one as well if not for the tuck rule.

The bills have sucked for so ******* long and no one in the front office does anything but promote themselves. So where else do we get to complain?

Donahoe wouldn't let us bring signs into the stadium, booing doesn't do crap, not attending assures us that the team moves..What the hell else is there? honestly.

No one took a shot at jauron personally, but he got worse over his three years. Same interviews, no answers. same ****ty personnel decisions, relying on the practice squad, drafting DBs.

Coaches know they are going to be second guessed. but when you get second guessed for the same thing week in week out and you don't even have the decency to pretend to learn from the experience, **** him and the horse he rode in on. He deserves a board to go up and say, "you need to go."

Maybe other cities don't do it because they don't live and die with their team. We do, and we've died 10 time in 10 years.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Hopefully he won't base his decision on a fan billboard. If these coaches make decisions off of what fans do or say, they aren't going to be very successful.

So you would go to work somewhere if you knew with 100% certainty that you were not wanted to be there?

BillsFanCupp38
01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Great, excellent point.

So if you feel as though you are connected to the Bills and almost part of the organization then don't you think fans should have handled themselves more respectfully and professionally?

I don't know. I would like to see what Jauron thinks about the billboard. Maybe he himself would have said "I would have done the same thing". Sure the billboard is pretty blunt and a little over the top but no one really knows how coaches feel about it. It would be nice to see what their oppionions are. I know a few people on this site have some access to interviewing elite NFL coaches. I would like to hear their perspective and see what they think about both billboards.

jdbillsfan
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Regular jobs and jobs with a huge fan base is totally different.

If my fan base was 1 million and I saw a sign that said we want someone else, hopefully that wouldn't sway me one way or another.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't know. I would like to see what Jauron thinks about the billboard. Maybe he himself would have said "I would have done the same thing". Sure the billboard is pretty blunt and a little over the top but no one really knows how coaches feel about it. It would be nice to see what their oppionions are. I know a few people on this site have some access to interviewing elite NFL coaches. I would like to hear their perspective and see what they think about both billboards.

Submit the question to Peter King of SI, or one of the ESPN guys via Twitter or there mail bags. They have access as well.

DraftBoy
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Regular jobs and jobs with a huge fan base is totally different.

If my fan base was 1 million and I saw a sign that said we want someone else, hopefully that wouldn't sway me one way or another.

Well you're a bigger man than me I suppose. Ill be damned if Im going to go coach for a team whose fans feel like they know more than the decision makers, so much so that they are willing to publicly blast their own HC for poor results, which are not even close to the lowest the franchise has ever even been at.

BAM
01-11-2010, 11:31 AM
This is such a non-issue.

Just look at the every day life of a politician. I realize they're totally different professions but they take way worse criticism. Only difference is some of them are actually swayed by public outcry.

I doubt a billboard has had any effect on any coach or their careers. Ever.

trapezeus
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
So you would go to work somewhere if you knew with 100% certainty that you were not wanted to be there?

if there was only one openning and i knew i could do it? Yes. i would take the challenge. there is no downside. you suck, they already do that. you just got NFL experience at the worst NFL team in existance. you win, and your a hero. You get offers for taking a weak team with no structure and made them into winners.

Zero
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I have no problem whatsoever with either billboard. Any coach offended or deterred to the idea of playing in Buffalo because of damn billboard created by fans should just quit coaching altogether. These guys are professionals and know full well that fan dissapproval, in all forms, comes with the territory.

Saratoga Slim
01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Then have no problem with a second or third tier coach then.

You got more than you asked for, lack of foresight brough this upon us.

Jeez, Pat, why'd you have to singlehandedly scare Cowher away? If it weren't for you, I'm sure he'd be here by now. /sarcasm.

Are you guys kidding? I agree that the Fire Jauron billboard was in poor taste. But this is 100% different. Take a look at this from Cowher's perspective for a second: how exactly would a billboard publicly expressing the community's interest in having him here make him not want to come?

If he doesn't come because he "thinks we're a joke," it's not the fans he thinks are a joke, it's the ownership.

If OBD put up a billboard, that would be another story. Then, I would agree that the "come here Cowher" billboard made us look silly.

justasportsfan
01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I can see the reason why coaches won't come here is because of Ralph. But the fans? Fans are going to hate you or love you no matter where you go. I doubt fans are the reason why they won't come here. Fans are the reason why coaches have a job.

Just win and the fans will love you, Lose they'll hate you. Coaches know this.

jdbillsfan
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Well you're a bigger man than me I suppose. Ill be damned if Im going to go coach for a team whose fans feel like they know more than the decision makers, so much so that they are willing to publicly blast their own HC for poor results, which are not even close to the lowest the franchise has ever even been at.

How would you know what your fan base thinks based on a billboard?

I could pay for a billboard if I wanted to, does that mean what I say matters?

These coaches don't pay attention to things that fans do.

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
How would you know what your fan base thinks based on a billboard?

I could pay for a billboard if I wanted to, does that mean what I say matters?

These coaches don't pay attention to things that fans do.
Then why are Bills fans always selling the fact that they are passionate to persuade a coach to come here???

"Oh Buffalo is such a great place to coach because the fans live and die Bills football"

But it doesn't apply when we do something foolish?

Bulldog
I love it, now it's the fans fault this team can't attract any decent coaching candidates. The Bills organization is a joke from the top right on down, and that can be laid directly at the feet of Ralph Wilson. Why would any candidate in their right mind want to come to a team where they'll be set up to fail. Coaching the Bills is like showing up at a gun fight with a knife. No doubt in my mind that this team will continue to struggle until Ralph Wilson is gone.

Bill Cody

If we made this bed it was made out of a dozen layers of somebody else's vomit. Call us crazy for not wanting to get tucked in yet again. I've read some dumb **** on this site but the idea that it's Bills fans that are scaring away elite coaches is :coocoo: The fans are the biggest selling point Buffalo has.

Nighthawk
01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
It's simple...nobody wants to work for Ralph and his hiring of Nix showed many in the NFL that nothing was going to change. Trying to look into it anymore then that is kind of silly. It is what it is...our owner is not well respected in this league and nobody wants to work for him. Case closed.

ddaryl
01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Give me a break

the billboard would have never even needed to happen if Jauron was fired like he should of been at the end of 2008

but somehow now its the fans fault that Ralph allowed the premature extension of Jauron and then not bite the bullet and fire him after the putrid 2-8 finish he left us with in 2008

No this in all Ralph and only Ralph because if we actually beleived in Ralph and the Bills organization to run properly we would never even come up with th ebillboard idea to start with...

Again place blame in the 1 and only spot it belongs and that is Ralph Wilson.

but yes If I'm a coordinator I wouldn't come to Buffalo either, because as a Coordinator I would already know that the Bills FO will meddle, they will not resign and get me the players I need to suceed and when it all falls apart in a massive way the fans are going to revolt because they've been dealing with 10+ years of the most inept organization...

One blame

RALPH MUTHER****ING WILSON so please stop thinking that the billboard is the problem... the billboard is what happens when an organization litterarly pisses all over its customers as long as the Bills have

justasportsfan
01-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Then why are Bills fans always selling the fact that they are passionate to persuade a coach to come here???

"Oh Buffalo is such a great place to coach because the fans live and die Bills football"

But it doesn't apply when we do something foolish?

It was foolish because the fans spoke their mind? If you win fans will make you know it and if you lose they will also let you know/

I don't have a problem with what the fans did especially after being a loser this entire decade.

Would you rather the fans just shut up and not show up to the games?

EDS
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM

What coach wants his future and job security tied to a 70 year old GM who could retire any day?

I am certain that fans in every city have done tasteless things to ridicule coaches and organizations. So in that sense, Buffalo is not different. Fan and media pressure in B-lo is a fracture of what it is in major markets where nothing but winning is acceptable. Just look up some of the back page headlines the NY Post has offered up over the years for proof.

Michael82
01-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Don't forget that we also harassed Mularkey's family and forced him to quit. And then remember what the idiots did to Leodis McKelvin's lawn.... :ill:

Nighthawk
01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Don't forget that we also harassed Mularkey's family and forced him to quit. And then remember what the idiots did to Leodis McKelvin's lawn.... :ill:

Now that was pure idiocy...stupid people. :down:

justasportsfan
01-11-2010, 12:05 PM

yes, there are bad eggs here and there.

What people are forgetting is that inspite of having a crappy decade, the bills have sold out most of those seasons. Thats says more about bills fan than any billboard will do.

After all the things you do as a bills fan MIkey, I would think you would think that the reason why coaches won't come here is because of fans like you ,is stupid.

ddaryl
01-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Jauron was a bad head coach. No doubt.

That in no way justifies publicly humiliating the man and his family.

It was a childish, petty idea.

and if Ralph does the right thing and fires him in 2008 this is a non issue

but he forced it down our throats and even when it was obvious the seaso was lost he still didn't make a move

and yet he allowed them to fire the OC and trade 1 of our top 2 LT candidates and then release the other one.

If coaches don't want to come here it is for one reason only RALPH MUTHER ****ING WILSON

the billboard was necessary because it was obvious Ralph wasn't going to fire him and we had already endured a 6-3 loss to Cleveland

I find it so sad that Bills fans want change but are unwilling to stop buying tickets and supporting this loser franchise or even send a can't miss message on a billboard.

How much more of this crap are you limp wrists willing to take.. I've met my breaking point and so have many others... and Until Ralph himself says he's fully retired and steps completely aside I don't think anythign anyone does matters

coachs are not coming here because ralph is cheap, meddling and refuses to do what it takes to provide a coach with everything he needs including high quality coordinators etc...

what's even funnier is Ralph thinks he can spend a few $$$ on a HC and he'll think he did enough... If Ralph spend on a HC he'll probbaly insist going cheap on coordinators an players

don137
01-11-2010, 12:12 PM
The problem is ownership and the front office. Coaches do not just want to just coach in the NFL. They want to coach to reach the super bowl. Based on the history of the Bills coaches feel they will be set up to fail just like the previous coaches. They do not believe the ownership and front office of the Bills will do what is necessary to become a championship team.

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
and if Ralph does the right thing and fires him in 2008 this is a non issue

but he forced it down our throats and even when it was obvious the seaso was lost he still didn't make a move

and yet he allowed them to fire the OC and trade 1 of our top 2 LT candidates and then release the other one.

If coaches don't want to come here it is for one reason only RALPH MUTHER ****ING WILSON

the billboard was necessary because it was obvious Ralph wasn't going to fire him and we had already endured a 6-3 loss to Cleveland

I find it so sad that Bills fans want change but are unwilling to stop buying tickets and supporting this loser franchise or even send a can't miss message on a billboard.

How much more of this crap are you limp wrists willing to take.. I've met my breaking point and so have many others... and Until Ralph himself says he's fully retired and steps completely aside I don't think anythign anyone does matters

coachs are not coming here because ralph is cheap, meddling and refuses to do what it takes to provide a coach with everything he needs including high quality coordinators etc...

what's even funnier is Ralph thinks he can spend a few $$$ on a HC and he'll think he did enough... If Ralph spend on a HC he'll probbaly insist going cheap on coordinators an players
Exactly. If you want to send a message and bring about change then STOP buying tickets to games and buying merchandise.

Of course fans can't stay away from the Bills to make their statement so they stoop to putting up a classless billboard and continue to line RW's pockets.

justasportsfan
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Exactly. If you want to send a message and bring about change then STOP buying tickets to games and buying merchandise.

Of course fans can't stay away from the Bills to make their statement so they stoop to putting up a classless billboard and continue to line RW's pockets.

are you implying jags fans are better than bills fans because they don't create billboards but don't show up to the games?

How about the cahrgers fan base? Are they better than us even though they barely support a winning ball club?

Michael82
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
yes, there are bad eggs here and there.

What people are forgetting is that inspite of having a crappy decade, the bills have sold out most of those seasons. Thats says more about bills fan than any billboard will do.

After all the things you do as a bills fan MIkey, I would think you would think that the reason why coaches won't come here is because of fans like you ,is stupid.

Oh trust me I do. I agree with others on here. I blame Ralph for the ****ty way he runs this team and the fact that he doesn't do whatever it takes to win. He just runs the team to make himself money. I also feel that if we had a legitimate GM search and interviewed several guys...people wouldn't think the nix hiring was that bad. But we didn't. So it made us look worse.

I just posted the Mularkey and McKelvin stuff to fuel the fire a bit. Part of me does wonder if Mulakey and his family have talked to Cowher and convinced him not to come here...

justasportsfan
01-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh trust me I do. I agree with others on here. I blame Ralph for the ****ty way he runs this team and the fact that he doesn't do whatever it takes to win. He just runs the team to make himself money. I also feel that if we had a legitimate GM search and interviewed several guys...people wouldn't think the nix hiring was that bad. But we didn't. So it made us look worse.

I just posted the Mularkey and McKelvin stuff to fuel the fire a bit. Part of me does wonder if Mulakey and his family have talked to Cowher and convinced him not to come here...

the billboard was a product of an entire decade of sucking. Fans got tired. Some of these coaches must have done something to that extent about something they were passionate about. I doubt they are worried about the fans. That billboard just proves that bills fans will go to the extent of using their hard earned money about something they are passionate about.

Thats a good thing and not a bad thing.

Mahdi
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
are you implying jags fans are better than bills fans because they don't create billboards but don't show up to the games?

How about the cahrgers fan base? Are they better than us even though they barely support a winning ball club?
The question is not about Jags fans being better than us because they don't support their team. It's a completely different situation, the Jags have actually enjoyed success and are active in FA and draft well usually. They simply don't have a good market because Tampa Bay and Miami have most of the Florida market and College football has the rest.

Charger fans are decent, I think they support their team well enough.

Either way I don't see how this is comparable, Jags and Charger fans are not trying to make a statement by not showing up, they are just not interested.

We are interested and the better way to show displeasure is to stop paying the guy who is giving you a bad product.

Dicknoze69
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
You guys are crazy if you think our fan's behavior is deterring coaches from coming here. Here are my top 5 issues that deter potential coaches from coming here:

1. Our owner is at best a consistent meddler who runs the team to make money and at worst Al Davis version 2.

2. Buffalo is a small-market team with limited revenue and poor weather.

3. We very rarely spend significant money on Free Agents.

4. Our roster is bereft of talent, which means a rebuild is necessary and could potentially take a long time. Additionally, we have very little hope on our roster at the game's most important position (quarterback).

5. Our owner is in his nineties and no one has any idea whether there is some sort of plan to keep the team in Buffalo after he passes. I'd like to think Ralph is intelligient enough to have a plan, but no one knows at this point.

On my list of "Reasons Not to Coach Here", I'd put the fans at like #98,290. We're just frustrated and bitter over being completely irrelevant for 10 years but the passion here is excellent. I think everyone, even coaching candidates, knows that if a coach came here and won, they'd be a god among men in Buffalo.

Looking at our situation objectively, you could make a compelling argument that Buffalo would be the second worst job in the NFL, behind Oakland, and that is the real factor that deters coaches from coming here.

justasportsfan
01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
The question is not about Jags fans being better than us because they don't support their team. It's a completely different situation, the Jags have actually enjoyed success and are active in FA and draft well usually. They simply don't have a good market because Tampa Bay and Miami have most of the Florida market and College football has the rest.

Charger fans are decent, I think they support their team well enough.

Either way I don't see how this is comparable, Jags and Charger fans are not trying to make a statement by not showing up, they are just not interested.

We are interested and the better way to show displeasure is to stop paying the guy who is giving you a bad product.

a decade of mediocrity or crapping will tend to make fans do what they did withthe billboard.

Fans weren't going to take another 2 more years of Dick and I'm sure these coaches understand what happened. I'm sure these coaches know that nobody loves a loser.

If anything, bills fans are the reason why coaches would want to come here. But lose like any other fanbase, bills fans will let you know.

Eagle fans boooed McNabb when they drafted him. He made them change their mind. Thats what coaches have to do wherever they go.

Billz_fan
01-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Bah, billboards have nothing to do with it IMO. Cleveland fans were gonna walk out, Last week Peyton Manning was asking the fans to forgive the team for the laying down incident in the Jets and Bills games. If the Colts lose next week just wait and see what happens then LOL.

Also, Remember when Rich Rodriguez quiit at West Virginia to go to Michigan ? He suffered vandalism and death threats at his home near Morgantown.

There are so many other examples of stuff like this. It's not the billboard IMO.

Mudflap1
01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
The fans have nothing to do with it. The fans pay the bills (no pun intended), and the results have been embarrassingly dismal for 10 years now. The first billboard simply stated changes needed to be made. Frankly, I don't feel bad. All those guys were making six and seven figures a year. They are big boys, they can take it. They didn't get the job done. As for the Cowher billboard, Bills fans are simply stating they want positive changes to be made, and to go for the best. There is nothing wrong with that.

The bottom line is the fans want a winner. What is chasing coaches away is the fact that 1) Ralph has a reputation for being cheap over the years; 2) Ralph has a reputation for making bizarre moves based on his ego (firing Wade, firing Bill Polian because of the conflict with his daughter, firing John Butler and A.J. Smith leaving with him); 3) the Bills have sucked for 10 years; 4) the Bills are a small market team; 5) The Bills have a ticket salesman as their CEO, not some seasoned football guy; 6) The Bills gave a 70 year old his first crack at GM (Nix), and gave an 80 year old his first crack at GM (Levy), both wreak of desperate/cheap moves; 7) Buffalo, while having a loyal fanbase, is not exactly the most desireable destination in the NFL weather-wise for some people.

Jan Reimers
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I think potential coaches imagine 100,000 creepy Bills' fans skulking around him like De Niro in "The Fan."

Bill Cody
01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I have no idea why Pete Carroll is going to Seattle. Don't they know the fans ran Mora out of town after one year? I'm surprised any coach would sign up for that.:drool: Fro Fox Sports today:

"The Seahawks are hoping the splashy, marquee addition of Carroll will ignite a notoriously rabid fan base that turned on its team this season with constant calls for mass firings".