• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cntrygal
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    • Jul 2002

Rooney Rule debate sparked by recent questionable interviews

Recent minority interviews for NFL coaching jobs in Washington and Seattle under the Rooney Rule have raised questions about whether the spirit of the rule has been violated.

Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy wonders about the process used by the Washington Redskins, who interviewed assistant coach Jerry Gray for the head-coaching position last month even though Jim Zorn still held the job.

The Seattle Seahawks met with Leslie Frazier on Saturday amid reports that USC coach Pete Carroll would be hired regardless of how impressive the Minnesota Vikings' defensive coordinator was.

"That is not what the Rooney Rule is supposed to be, (that) you make up your mind and then interview a candidate for it anyway just to satisfy the rule," said Dungy, who retired from coaching last year and now is an analyst on NBC's Football Night in America. "If the Jerry Gray situation is the way it has been described as happening, I don't think it was fair. I don't think I would ever interview for a job if my boss was not out of the job. I don't blame Jerry; it's the position he was put in, if it happened that way."

link
    Originally posted by notacon
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: Rooney Rule debate sparked by recent questionable interviews

The Jerry Grey interview was disgusting. The guy is employed by the skins. He had to interview or he'd stand no chance to remain employed under Shanahan.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

The Frazier interview with the Seahawks was a sham.

Truly, the african-american leaders should be up in arms that the Rooney Rule makes qualified candidates look like nothing more than tokens.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
        • Jan 2010

get rid of the rooney rule asap, its a disgrace and its putting a horrible image on the nfl, either someone is qualified or they are not, race should have nothing to do with it....

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

The whole rule itself is ******ed.

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
            • Mar 2004

Sorry but I am not a huge fan of the rule in the first place. Just like the best players play, the best coaches coach and thats the way it should be. I am in no way a racist but for argument sake since NFL running backs are about 85% black why don't teams have to bring in a white running back to at least compete? Just my opinion. And now black coaches are declining interviews with some teams like seattle because they know they do not have a shot. Rule has gone awal.
            Last edited by BillsFanCupp38; 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM.
            Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

If you ask to be treated like a token, chances are you will be.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

The rule is ridiculous. Whomever the boss feels the best person for the job is, should get the job, regardless of skin color, or race. If Dan Snyder wants to hire Mike Shanahan as his head coach, he should be able to. If he wants to interview other candidates, or not, should be his decision, and his only.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Gee, who saw this coming? Oh right- everyone.

Good goal, terrible implementation. The black coaches in the league now got their jobs on merit, not because of this rule.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• billsburgh
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    The Frazier interview with the Seahawks was a sham.

Truly, the african-american leaders should be up in arms that the Rooney Rule makes qualified candidates look like nothing more than tokens.
                    Frazier knew this because he initially declined and then changed his mind and went anyway.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                      only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                      • Feb 2008

I dont get the rooney rule. Like if Dungy wanted to be coach there would be more teams wanting him than teams wanting Billick, Shotty, Shotty 2, Grimm, and possibly Cowher. Same with possibly Tomlin

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Mitchell55
                        I dont get the rooney rule. Like if Dungy wanted to be coach there would be more teams wanting him than teams wanting Billick, Shotty, Shotty 2, Grimm, and possibly Cowher. Same with possibly Tomlin
                        Agreed! Id love to see Dungy coaching the Bills.

Disclaimer: In no way should this be condidered a rumor. Dont want to be that guy on a message board that said Dungy was coming to Buffalo.

Comment

• ARoid
                          • Mar 2009

I like the Rooney rule. Huh? Yep, I think over the years it's done more good than harm. What does it hurt?

It's obvious that it doesn't matter in the final decision, if yoiu want Carroll or Shanahan you can still hire the guy you want. It doesn;t mean you cant take the guy you want so no biggie. If Seattle wasn't allowed to get Carroll I would say "F that rule" but what it does is it allows minority candidates a chance to be a part of the process where maybe they wouldn't be.

At 1 point the NFL had more black head coaches than the NCAA which is crazy when you think about how the NFL is the best league and NCAA is not as hard to be a head coach and they have like 133 D1 teams.

The fact the Bills have only done 2 official interviews and they are both black means that things are getting to the point where the Rooney rule is less needed but look at Pittsburgh. Tomlin wasn't even their first choice until he killed it in his interview. The Rooney rule helped him get the experience he needed to do well in that interview. Guy's got a ring now, crazy.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                            • Sep 2003

I hate the rule. A team cannot now say "Holy cow, this ONE GUY we want is available! Sign him stat!".

You cannot tell me that an owner would not hire the coach they think is best to win ball games, no matter if they are white, black, green, or purple.
                            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

I'm sorry..but I hate the Rooney rule. Like others have said, If you have a guy you like way more than others...you should be able to hire him immediately and not have to worry about one or two token interviews. If anything, the Rooney rule is racist!

Comment

Working...
                              X