PDA

View Full Version : Rooney Rule debate sparked by recent questionable interviews

Cntrygal
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Recent minority interviews for NFL coaching jobs in Washington and Seattle under the Rooney Rule have raised questions about whether the spirit of the rule has been violated.

Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy wonders about the process used by the Washington Redskins, who interviewed assistant coach Jerry Gray for the head-coaching position last month even though Jim Zorn still held the job.

The Seattle Seahawks met with Leslie Frazier on Saturday amid reports that USC coach Pete Carroll would be hired regardless of how impressive the Minnesota Vikings' defensive coordinator was.

"That is not what the Rooney Rule is supposed to be, (that) you make up your mind and then interview a candidate for it anyway just to satisfy the rule," said Dungy, who retired from coaching last year and now is an analyst on NBC's Football Night in America. "If the Jerry Gray situation is the way it has been described as happening, I don't think it was fair. I don't think I would ever interview for a job if my boss was not out of the job. I don't blame Jerry; it's the position he was put in, if it happened that way."

link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815a29fc&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 05:52 PM
The Jerry Grey interview was disgusting. The guy is employed by the skins. He had to interview or he'd stand no chance to remain employed under Shanahan.

Ebenezer
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
The Frazier interview with the Seahawks was a sham.

Truly, the african-american leaders should be up in arms that the Rooney Rule makes qualified candidates look like nothing more than tokens.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
get rid of the rooney rule asap, its a disgrace and its putting a horrible image on the nfl, either someone is qualified or they are not, race should have nothing to do with it....

THATHURMANATOR
01-11-2010, 06:20 PM
The whole rule itself is ******ed.

BillsFanCupp38
01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry but I am not a huge fan of the rule in the first place. Just like the best players play, the best coaches coach and thats the way it should be. I am in no way a racist but for argument sake since NFL running backs are about 85% black why don't teams have to bring in a white running back to at least compete? Just my opinion. And now black coaches are declining interviews with some teams like seattle because they know they do not have a shot. Rule has gone awal.

YardRat
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
If you ask to be treated like a token, chances are you will be.

Forward_Lateral
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
The rule is ridiculous. Whomever the boss feels the best person for the job is, should get the job, regardless of skin color, or race. If Dan Snyder wants to hire Mike Shanahan as his head coach, he should be able to. If he wants to interview other candidates, or not, should be his decision, and his only.

OpIv37
01-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Gee, who saw this coming? Oh right- everyone.

Good goal, terrible implementation. The black coaches in the league now got their jobs on merit, not because of this rule.

billsburgh
01-11-2010, 08:39 PM
The Frazier interview with the Seahawks was a sham.

Truly, the african-american leaders should be up in arms that the Rooney Rule makes qualified candidates look like nothing more than tokens.
Frazier knew this because he initially declined and then changed his mind and went anyway.

Mitchell55
01-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I dont get the rooney rule. Like if Dungy wanted to be coach there would be more teams wanting him than teams wanting Billick, Shotty, Shotty 2, Grimm, and possibly Cowher. Same with possibly Tomlin

BADTHINGSMAN
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I dont get the rooney rule. Like if Dungy wanted to be coach there would be more teams wanting him than teams wanting Billick, Shotty, Shotty 2, Grimm, and possibly Cowher. Same with possibly Tomlin

Agreed! Id love to see Dungy coaching the Bills.

Disclaimer: In no way should this be condidered a rumor. Dont want to be that guy on a message board that said Dungy was coming to Buffalo.

ARoid
01-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I like the Rooney rule. Huh? Yep, I think over the years it's done more good than harm. What does it hurt?

It's obvious that it doesn't matter in the final decision, if yoiu want Carroll or Shanahan you can still hire the guy you want. It doesn;t mean you cant take the guy you want so no biggie. If Seattle wasn't allowed to get Carroll I would say "F that rule" but what it does is it allows minority candidates a chance to be a part of the process where maybe they wouldn't be.

At 1 point the NFL had more black head coaches than the NCAA which is crazy when you think about how the NFL is the best league and NCAA is not as hard to be a head coach and they have like 133 D1 teams.

The fact the Bills have only done 2 official interviews and they are both black means that things are getting to the point where the Rooney rule is less needed but look at Pittsburgh. Tomlin wasn't even their first choice until he killed it in his interview. The Rooney rule helped him get the experience he needed to do well in that interview. Guy's got a ring now, crazy.

MikeInRoch
01-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I hate the rule. A team cannot now say "Holy cow, this ONE GUY we want is available! Sign him stat!".

You cannot tell me that an owner would not hire the coach they think is best to win ball games, no matter if they are white, black, green, or purple.

Michael82
01-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm sorry..but I hate the Rooney rule. Like others have said, If you have a guy you like way more than others...you should be able to hire him immediately and not have to worry about one or two token interviews. If anything, the Rooney rule is racist!

jamze132
01-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Well the Rooney Rule sucks. I thinkn they had a good intention when it was enacted but it's run it's course. I don't think there is much racism going on at the HC/GM level anyways. I don't think there are too many owners out there who would deny a minority candidate the job if e was the best candidate. I don't know many owners who would sacrifce wins and money by not hiring a minority.

But at least this is one area where Buffalo will not get more bad press as they actually has a black dude coaching and then interviewed him. Not to mention John Guy has been employed in an upper management position for sometime now.

Jan Reimers
01-12-2010, 07:41 AM
The Rooney Rule simply perpetuates the idea of racism. I don't believe there is a single organization in the NFL that would hire a white HC over a more qualified minority candidate.

When, as in the NFL, there is no longer a problem with racism, silly and insulting rules which have become obsolete should be abolished.

Jan Reimers
01-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Well the Rooney Rule sucks. I thinkn they had a good intention when it was enacted but it's run it's course. I don't think there is much racism going on at the HC/GM level anyways. I don't think there are too many owners out there who would deny a minority candidate the job if e was the best candidate. I don't know many owners who would sacrifce wins and money by not hiring a minority
Sorry, Jamze. Had I seen your post, I wouldn't have had to do mine.

Historian
01-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Is Tony Dungy a mulatto?

jamze132
01-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Sorry, Jamze. Had I seen your post, I wouldn't have had to do mine.
The more the better!

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
The Rooney Rule simply perpetuates the idea of racism. I don't believe there is a single organization in the NFL that would hire a white HC over a more qualified minority candidate.

it's all about winning

and it is also about being prepared and aceing an interview...

No NFL team is going to hire a candidate based on race.. It about winning cause winning fills the seats and winning puts coin in an owners pockets.

The whole token interview IMO is counter productive. It does however prepare an up and coming Black coach for the process of interviewing for a HC positon but that about the only positive IMO

Night Train
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Wilbon stated on PTI last night that 5 of the last 6 SB winners had an African American as either the HC or GM.

His stance as a minority is that the rule gets the candidate in the room and surprises the hiring people. Otherwise, they never would have been invited. I do see his point.

Yet I think the new guard of owners doesn't give a damn about color anymore. If you win, it's colorblind to these guys. I think the rule was good at the start but now it's run it's course.

If a team is focused on their man, then don't force a sham interview.

People here are concerned with Leslie Fraziers experience as a HC , not his color. Look at all the posts mentioning Dungy.

RIP Rooney Rule.

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
The Rooney Rule is a tough issue and its not as simple as it works or it doesn't because its results are not completely intended to be tied solely to X number of black coaches/FO people.

The idea behind the rule was an attempt to change the mindset of the NFL Owners/FO Higherups which was and still very much is a good ol boys club. It was to give minority candidates an opportunity to interview and work on those skills.

Now does the rule work? Yes and No, it works for those that take it seriously and use it to sharpen their interviewing skills and know what potential owners are going to ask. But does it mean we are going to have more minority hires? I dont think so.

The rule doesn't need to be gotten rid of it, but it needs to be re-worked. The NFL (and NCAA, though not as bad) is still very much a very exclusive club, and the Rooney Rule has helped to break that up to a small degree, but it will take time more than anything to change people's minds...and a few owners selling their teams.