What if RW hires Cowher and he fails? Then what will the fans say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

What if RW hires Cowher and he fails? Then what will the fans say?

Bill Cowher won a super bowl....but Bill Cowher did not coach all by himself, he didn't scout the talent, draft the talent or sign players out of free agency. Now Bill Cowher has been out of football for three years and Bills fans want him over anybody else as their next coach...but have Bills fans asks themselves these questions?

1. Who will pick the college talent? There is no evidence that Bill Cowher is a master evaluator of college talent or that he has ever single handedly put together a draft. The Bills currently have Modrak in place to do the drafting...how has that worked out in the last nine years?

2. Who will pick the pro talent? There is no evidence that Bill Cowher is a master evaluator of pro talent or that he has ever single handedly put together a plan to acquire pro talent through free agency. The Bills currently have Guy in place to do the drafting...how has that worked out in the last nine years?

3. Who will BC choose as the assistant coaches? BC won a super bowl but it took 14 years. During that time his staff took on many, many different assistant coaches. Although they were winners it took a long time for BC to assemble a staff to win it all. BC has been out of football for three years. Does he still keep lists of competent coaches? Will potential assistants want to work for/with him and where will these potential assistants come from?

All three of these are major, major hurdles that Bills fans appear to be overlooking. What if RW grants the Bills fans their biggest wish...and then BC comes here and falls flat or fails?

Discuss.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Re: What if RW hires Cowher and he fails? Then what will the fans say?

Cowher won't fail. Can't happen. The Bills will be a playoff team again with Cowher.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      Bill Cowher won a super bowl....but Bill Cowher did not coach all by himself, he didn't scout the talent, draft the talent or sign players out of free agency. Now Bill Cowher has been out of football for three years and Bills fans want him over anybody else as their next coach...but have Bills fans asks themselves these questions?

1. Who will pick the college talent? There is no evidence that Bill Cowher is a master evaluator of college talent or that he has ever single handedly put together a draft. The Bills currently have Modrak in place to do the drafting...how has that worked out in the last nine years?

2. Who will pick the pro talent? There is no evidence that Bill Cowher is a master evaluator of pro talent or that he has ever single handedly put together a plan to acquire pro talent through free agency. The Bills currently have Guy in place to do the drafting...how has that worked out in the last nine years?

3. Who will BC choose as the assistant coaches? BC won a super bowl but it took 14 years. During that time his staff took on many, many different assistant coaches. Although they were winners it took a long time for BC to assemble a staff to win it all. BC has been out of football for three years. Does he still keep lists of competent coaches? Will potential assistants want to work for/with him and where will these potential assistants come from?

All three of these are major, major hurdles that Bills fans appear to be overlooking. What if RW grants the Bills fans their biggest wish...and then BC comes here and falls flat or fails?

Discuss.
      That only God himself could save the Bills?

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
        That only God himself could save the Bills?

yep.

listen. if Cowher came in, made us respectable and took us to the playoffs half as regularly as he took the steelers he could coach this team as long as he wants to.

I'm at the point right now i just want to look forward to football on sunday.

and yes. those are really lowered expectations
        Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
          • Jul 2002

Consistent competive games would certainly be nice.
          Originally posted by notacon
          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

i'm just going to answer the questions in the title of this thread. it's a big IF hiring Cowher for one and it depends on how much meddling and how tight The Old Fart was gripping the wallet that would lead to Cowher's failure.
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• mikemac2001
              is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
              • Mar 2003

atleast ralph went out and got a big name expensive coach i wouldn't blame him for not trying just maybe the hiring

MUCK
              FIAMI

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Cowher will fail based on what he has to work with at the QB position.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                  yep.

listen. if Cowher came in, made us respectable and took us to the playoffs half as regularly as he took the steelers he could coach this team as long as he wants to.

I'm at the point right now i just want to look forward to football on sunday.

and yes. those are really lowered expectations
                  Cant believe Im going to say this.

But it is actually possible that a coord comes in and turns us around. I'm never going to believe it will happen until I see it. But it technically is possible.

I think anyone other than a HC with a big pedigree will face:

1) A front office that's stuck in their ways and will do more of the same
                  2) A front office that doesn't need to listen to the new guy with no proven track record as a HC
                  3) Free agents that cant be convinced to come to this team by a guy who isn't a proven winner
                  4) An entire locker room of current players who will think the new guy will just simply be more of the same
                  5) A significant portion of the fan base who will be convinced its just more of the same

Luck could strike and we may get it done.

But after 4 straight trips without a win, Music City Miracle, a team that actually fired Bill Polian, etc... I'm not betting on luck anymore.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                    The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                    • Feb 2005

Fail? BC walks on water. there is no fail in BC.
                    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                      • Apr 2005

I want Marty over cowher. He was consistant as hell. Sure maybe his playoff record wasnt the greatest, but his winning % is better than Cowher and hes a firey disciplinarian in which we need. We can break the super bowl curse, and he can break his playoff curse all together...that would be my dream

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Unlike Cowher, Marty HAS already said no.

Comment

• Zero
                          Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer

Discuss.

My philosophy here is the same as my philosphy in life: I 'd rather try to do something correctly and GO DOWN IN FLAMES than elect to take the easy way out.

We have tried to hire on the cheap in the past avoiding big named candidates who perhaps required bigtime money- hasn't worked. We have built teams from the skill positions in, rather than start with the lines- hasn't worked. What's the worst that could happen by attempting the opposite?
                          Last edited by Zero; 01-11-2010, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

I never thought i'd say this but i actually envy Jets fans.

sure, their football team is always massively overrated. they're always pissed because the team never measures up with the hype. They waste 1 round picks on draft busts at a rate faster then the Bills, and go through mediocre coaches like they're going out of style.

yet through it all every other year... or 1 out of every 3 years or so they make a run into the playoffs, mediocre schedule or teams laying down to help em in, or just the luck of the draw gets them there and for a few weeks they get football in January and the chance to look forward to the following season (of course the following year they inevitably fail to live up to expectations and miss the playoffs again, but it would be fun just for a year to see football in January).
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                              I never thought i'd say this but i actually envy Jets fans.

sure, their football team is always massively overrated. they're always pissed because the team never measures up with the hype. They waste 1 round picks on draft busts at a rate faster then the Bills, and go through mediocre coaches like they're going out of style.

yet through it all every other year... or 1 out of every 3 years or so they make a run into the playoffs, mediocre schedule or teams laying down to help em in, or just the luck of the draw gets them there and for a few weeks they get football in January and the chance to look forward to the following season (of course the following year they inevitably fail to live up to expectations and miss the playoffs again, but it would be fun just for a year to see football in January).
                              Gholston is the last bust I can think of

Revis
                              D'Brick
                              Mangold
                              Now Sanchez

Wheres the busts?

Comment

Working...
                              X